Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,821 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:36 PM

Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? (26750 Views)

Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? / Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? / Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by nkemo: 9:46am On Feb 18, 2007
I sometimes wonder if a foreigner should ask me where is nollywood located in nigeria what my reply would be because the hollywood i am familiar with is located in los angelis and apart from d fact that it is known as a place for celibrities people also visit there and go for vacations there.I an just interested in knowing where our own much talked about nollywood is located.
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by naijacutee(f): 10:42am On Feb 18, 2007
grin grin grin My dear, "Nollywood" is not a place. It is just a coined term from the word "Hollywood" (which some people don't even know that is a place) that refers to movies produced in Nigeria. Just the same as "Bollywood" (Indian/Bhangra movies) isn't a place. It's just a term referring to movies produced in India. No one went to quickly build a movie production studio centre in Nigeria and named it "Nollywood". Hmm come to think of it 51, Iweka road could be "Nollywood". Every Nigerian movie advert has that address on it. . . .

1 Like

Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by hotangel2(f): 10:47am On Feb 18, 2007
Nollywood is Located at 51 Iweka road Onitsha

There's another Nollywood at 1/6 pound road aba.

There's another one at Idumota lagos.

---------------

Okay okay not to mislead you.

There's no "nollywood" in NIgeria. Naija cutie explained it all.
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 12:06pm On Feb 18, 2007
[s]Actually, hot-angel's answer is right. "Nollywood" as an organized industry is based in those locations.[/s]
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by Eurphoria(f): 1:01pm On Feb 18, 2007
ha aha oh men i oove this cheesy
hot-angel:

Nollywood is Located at 51 Iweka road Onitsha

There's another Nollywood at 1/6 pound road aba.

There's another one at Idumota lagos.

---------------

Okay okay not to mislead you.

There's no "nollywood" in NIgeria. Naija cutie explained it all.

love it cheesy

1 Like

Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by viperman: 1:18pm On Feb 18, 2007
Nollywood is in surulere, lagos. Nigeria.
That is the headquarters of movie production in nigeria.
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by osegwu(m): 3:11pm On Feb 18, 2007
Nollywood does not exist. Is just a word used by Film producers to make it sound like Hollywood.

Still me
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by LePhilippe(m): 3:20pm On Feb 18, 2007
Its main movie studio is in the tourist resort under construction; Tinapa, Calabar!!
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by Orikinla(m): 5:55pm On Feb 18, 2007
viperman:

Nollywood is in surulere, lagos. Nigeria.
That is the headquarters of movie production in nigeria.

That's the answer.
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by freddie1(m): 7:21pm On Feb 18, 2007
Viperman and Orikinla are both correct. The hub of the Nigerian movie industry is in Surulere, Lagos state, Nigeria. That's where most of the studios, major players, residences of the artistes, hotels where they camp for shooting, offices of the major players of the industry etc are located. You can start and finish your movie there. Most of the marketers also live there. They find it convenient to visit the studios to obtain the works of producers and directors.
51, Iweka road onitsha, Pound, St. Micheal's, Park roads,Aba, Idumota, Ereko, Edidi streets, Lagos, video shops in Alaba international market, Lagos, etc are the major distribution and marketing outlets of our movies.
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by LePhilippe(m): 10:14pm On Feb 18, 2007
Nollywood = Tinapa!!
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by justina09(f): 5:20am On Feb 19, 2007
there is no place in Naija named Nollywood, yall just funny grin
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by hammah(m): 7:03am On Feb 19, 2007
Nollywood is a figment of the imagination by copy cats naija film makers.it  exists in idea not in situ.
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by boladonas(m): 7:06am On Feb 19, 2007
Nollywood is opposite Winans Hotel in Surulere
All actors, actresses and "wanna bes" are there
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by Greycells(m): 12:09pm On Feb 19, 2007
Deconstructing Nollywood
If India’s monstrously popular film industry which accounts for the highest film output and ticket sales globally could be termed as Hollywood’s poor cousin, what do we call Nigeria’s Nollywood?

Call it anything. But not Emeka Ike’s cliché that Nollywood is a dream that is about to crash. It seems the once popular actor is the only subscriber to this pessimistic view of Nollywood’s future.

Over-hyped, but mainly characterized by unoriginal plots, poor dialogue, sound and poor production values; yes that is Nollywood, an industry where anything goes. But do not forget that world class producers namely Tunde Kelani, Jeta Amata and Tade Ogidan, among others, belong to this same Nollywood.

Did we say Nollywood? Yes. But you won’t believe who is contesting this? It is no less personality than Kanayo. O. Kanayo, recipient of Nollywood Actor of the Year Award. He argues that Nollywood is mere abstraction.   

In Kanayo’s opinion, Nollywood does not compare to Bollywood and Hollywood in concrete terms. According to him, Nollywood presently exists in the mind of industry stakeholders, because there is no physical space, structure or location that could be termed as such in Nigeria.

For Kanayo, Hollywood represents the American film industry and is also a district in Los Angeles (California State), while Nollywood merely depicts the Nigeria’s home video production industry which has no historical or cultural location.

Urging stakeholders to join the campaign for a Nollywood real estate that is similar to Hollywood, Kanayo says it is the only way the fledging home video industry will compare to Hollywood in the nearest future.     

Nollywood, the name of Nigeria's thriving straight-to-video film industry was coined by Matt Steinglass in an article published in the New York Times in 2002.

http://www.legwork.com.ng/Main/Articles/Headliners/DeconstructingNollywood.aspx
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by desertboom(m): 4:24pm On Feb 19, 2007
hahaha naija where are we going? no nollywood but we keep producing movie everyday
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 9:35pm On Feb 19, 2007
boladonas:

All actors, actresses and "want to bes" are there
Except me. Ouch, I should visit that place sometime.
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by Ndipe(m): 11:25pm On Feb 19, 2007
Why do some people harbor negative/pessimistic views about anything Nigerian? Nollywood, while not in the league with Hollywood is gaining momentum. There is a guy from Zaire/Congo who likes our Nigerian movies, and the industry is experiencing a brisk business in other parts of Africa, I would think. Its gained popularity. Lets give them time to remedy their shortcomings. Rome was not built in a day.

1 Like

Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by shakamc(m): 1:51am On Feb 20, 2007
yeah i like it there because is bare funny,i usually go around there to drink whenever i go to naija and u get to see many jokers doing crazy things and many wannabes or rather upcoming actors.
boladonas:

All actors, actresses and "want to bes" are there
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by chessito(m): 5:03am On Feb 20, 2007
hotangel i have been looking for you!
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by my2cents(m): 9:55pm On Feb 20, 2007
Aren't we forgetting Alaba Int'l Market, Ojo? tongue
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by LePhilippe(m): 1:45am On Feb 21, 2007
If Nigeria developments it will be the US of Africa!!!
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by my2cents(m): 3:31am On Feb 21, 2007
LePhillipe: Mon ami de la republique tongue,

hmmm, I thought Nigeria already prides herself as the "Giant of Africa".
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by bluenubian(f): 3:54am On Feb 21, 2007
funny thread "where is Nollywood?" 51 Iweka rd Onitsha ofcourse grin grin grin
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by jjuummaaii(f): 3:50pm On Feb 21, 2007
Nollywood is Nigeria's Hollywood, just replace the H with N. It was given to us by some Hollywood producers who visited Nigeria sometimes late 90's to see what was going on for us in film making. After visitin places and seeing lots of actors and producers and how film is being produced here, one of them commented jokingly and said 'this is not Hollywood' but rather Nollywood and that was how the named came up till date. Well, so I read from one of all this Magazines so I'm definately ready to be proved wrong about the genesis of the name
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by LePhilippe(m): 10:48pm On Feb 22, 2007
Nigerians are such copycats!!! tongue tongue tongue
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by Radiant(f): 11:13pm On Feb 22, 2007
Why are we the ones killing ourselves? angry angry angry Sometimes I want to hate Nigerians but on the other hand I can't *sighs*
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by LePhilippe(m): 11:15pm On Feb 22, 2007
I think an original Nigerian idea would sell so much!!!
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by LePhilippe(m): 11:19pm On Feb 22, 2007
Classic case of the pot calling the kettle black. Speak for yourself my friend!!
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by Radiant(f): 11:23pm On Feb 22, 2007
How many Nigerian movies are not original? Sometimes it's too original that we complain about them. Get over yourselves and let them do their thang.
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by talktimi(m): 3:11am On Feb 26, 2007
nollywood just came about as a joke a couple of years ago when nigeria was ranked the 2nd or 3rd largest producers of movies in the world . the problem is that the name just stuck.
Re: Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? by luvlymoi(f): 5:04pm On Feb 27, 2007
lol, u guys are funni

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bbnaija: Neo Evicted From The Big Brother House / How To Add Subtitles To Any Movie/TV series (Steps plus a 3mins video tutorial) / Bbtitans Juicy Jay & Jenni O Intense Moment!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.