Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,098 members, 7,821,796 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:34 PM

Short Story: Worst Nightmare - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Short Story: Worst Nightmare (1166 Views)

The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Short Story: Worst Nightmare by sochey(f): 9:15pm On Oct 03, 2017
PART ONE

jasmine was the name I gave my daughter after she was born. She was an epitome of beauty, intelligent in her little years and was richly blessed by God. She's the only one that has taken away all my pains ever since I got married to that wretched and filty man.
I got married at the age of eighteen because I had no mother and my elder brother refused to take care of me. My whole family was against me and called me cursed cuz my mother died after she gave birth to me. My father on the other hand loved me so much and nurtured me till I was fifteen years, then he died of stroke. I cried my heart out that day for I knew what I was bound to face.
Surprisingly, everyone was good to me on t he day of his burial and offered me lots of love. It was time for everyone to return to their various families. A lot was casted to know whom would take me and groom me. The lot fell on my elder brother who frowned disheartedly. I always noticed his hatred for me. I seem not to understand why he hated me with so much passion.
After everything was settled I followed my elder brother back to his house. He lived in three bedroom apartment with his wife and four children. The children were lovely just their mother was one hell of a crazy witch. She hated me right from the very first day she saw me. When she found out I came up stay, she decided to make good use of me. I turned into their house help.
After two years of staying with them, my fate changed. My uncle came home one day With another man whom he introduced to me as my soon to be husband. I looked at him, he gave me a broad smile that was almost stretching to his eyes, I have never seen him smile like that to me before. I fell pale. I took a quick glance at the man and saw a tarted man with no hope for the future. He was skinny, dark, tall, has a stench of alcohol in his breadth. To make matters worse, he was poor. I left the parlour, crying helplessly.
Few months later, he paid my bride pride. Lord knows how much my uncle charged him and how he got the money. A date was fixed to my wedding. I cried so much but no one was there to help me, I had nobody.

The day to my wedding came, I had no clothes to wear of shoes to put on. My aunty badged into my room and threw a gown she must have brought out of her closet. It was multicolored, she gave me widow's type of hat and asked me to get dressed quickly that everyone was waiting. I hurriedly entered the bathroom to wash up. I wore the clothes and looked at myself in the mirror. I saw a girl who has been abused all her life and who was struggling to cope despite the hardship. A girl who is getting married to a man she barely knew or loved. As I looked deeper, I saw something else, something totally different from the life I was living but the voice of my uncle's wife interrupted and I left the mirror and went to meet her.
The wedding was hell on its own because the only people present was my uncle, his four children, his wife and the man. Tears rolled down my eyes and I began to sob uncontrollabley. For the first time, my aunty stood from her chair and whipped my eyes telling me that everything is for my own good. I tried to fight the tears but I couldn't.
I was asked to sit beside my husband. My uncle poured some type of wine into a glass cup and asked me to drink and give my husband. I drank a little and passed to him.
Everyone laughed hysterically and minutes later, I and my new husband was on our way to my new home. I took nothing with me except the clothes I was wearing. I knew that after that day, I wont have anything to do with my uncle and his family.

1 Like

Re: Short Story: Worst Nightmare by sochey(f): 9:38am On Oct 04, 2017
Watch out for part two smiley

(1) (Reply)

"My Father's Will" A Story From Wurastories / 6 African Business Books You Should Read in 2020 To Have A Productive Year / What Did You Dream About And What Would You Not Do Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.