Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,762 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? (1253 Views)

The Rift Between African-Americans And Recent African Immigrants To The US / African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land / African Americans Have Culture Too Africans Are Making Money Off Of It!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by onila(f): 4:02pm On Oct 05, 2017
i heard their white counterparts they worship have no culture too

so why sad
Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by Nobody: 2:07am On Oct 06, 2017
Sister,
You generalize quite frequently. Black Americans do the best they can given the circumstance of being born and raised in a country that doesn't necessarily acknowledge their contributions nor does it find worth in them.
I have to be fair here and say that Nigerians (from what I've read and seen on NL) seem to enjoy and mimic Western culture....as evident through a variety of ways (dress, language, entertainment, hair, worship etc.).
Now why is that?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by Fulaman198(m): 4:20pm On Oct 06, 2017
onila:

so why sad

I'm not sure what you mean white counterparts they worship. It seems to me that Nigerians on these forums especially from the South seem to worship white people moreso than black Americans. Why is that?
Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by Truckpusher(m): 4:45pm On Oct 06, 2017
Fulaman198:

I'm not sure what you mean white counterparts they worship. It seems to me that Nigerians on these forums especially from the South seem to worship white people moreso than black Americans. Why is that?
You people keep dividing this country with your imbecilic submissions and yet you want peace and unity?

You're a disgrace to the entire black race and there is no difference between you and those Southerners that their heads are stuck in the ass of the white man.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by Fulaman198(m): 5:32pm On Oct 06, 2017
Truckpusher:
You people keep dividing this country with your imbecilic submissions and yet you want peace and unity?

You're a disgrace to the entire black race and there is no difference between you and those Southerners that their heads are stuck in the ass of the white man.

Nah bros, I don't worship white folks nor do I believe in propagating English over our native tongues. There are certain things that Northerners do poorly I admit, but copying white folks is not one of them.

BTW, I thumbed up your comment because you seem like a real patriot even though it was an attack on me.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by Truckpusher(m): 8:41pm On Oct 06, 2017
Fulaman198:

Nah bros, I don't worship white folks nor do I believe in propagating English over our native tongues. There are certain things that Northerners do poorly I admit, but copying white folks is not one of them.

BTW, I thumbed up your comment because you seem like a real patriot even though it was an attack on me.
I simply attacked you because you were trying to present your fellow blacks like idiots which I must say you're right to an extent but for me as a black man - My race comes first before our internal brouhaha .We must respect each other to be respected by other races . It is even funny how we all unite once we are outside the shores of Nigeria but once we are here the madness takes charge. Once again I respect you for owning up completely without resorting to your supremacist ideology. Sorry for attacking you ,let love take over because hate can't win .

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by Afam4eva(m): 8:49pm On Oct 06, 2017
Fulaman198:

Is worshiping arabs somehow better than worshiping whites?

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by Nobody: 10:54pm On Oct 06, 2017
onila:

so why sad
Its not really about not having a culture but practicing a mixed culture. We're probably looking for a practice that will identify them with a tribe in Africa. That's impossible because they are Africans from all over the countries mixed with native Indians and white people who are also diverse .

Their culture is a mix of everything.

They have also learnt to improvise due to circumstances. Havent you noticed their gospel songs sound different (a lot of yelling grin and talking) so is their preaching - compare TV. D Jakes with any white preacher.
Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by Fulaman198(m): 11:19pm On Oct 06, 2017
Afam4eva:

Is worshiping arabs somehow better than worshiping whites?

You are African American, let me know when Fulani People actually worship Arabs. Northerners do not worship Arabs. That is false information.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by Fulaman198(m): 11:23pm On Oct 06, 2017
Truckpusher:
I simply attacked you because you were trying to present your fellow blacks like idiots which I must say you're right to an extent but for me as a black man - My race comes first before our internal brouhaha .We must respect each other to be respected by other races . It is even funny how we all unite once we are outside the shores of Nigeria but once we are here the madness takes charge. Once again I respect you for owning up completely without resorting to your supremacist ideology. Sorry for attacking you ,let love take over because hate can't win .

I don't understand how a black man can be a supremacist to another black man, that does not make any sense to me, but ok. No worries man, I don't take attacks on NL seriously. In all honesty, sometimes I actually laugh at them. I think it's good to have this sort off discourse.

I am not trying to present other blacks like idiots, I just hate it when I see Nigerians with names like "Jennifer" I mean what is that...That's not even an old British name. It's an American white lady name. Or when Nigerians can't speak their native tongues and do not know how to act traditional. It's not healthy for the nation as whole.

You are right that when we are abroad that we come as one (that I guess is more for survival as the Average American Joe can not distinguish between a Hausa, Yoruba, Fulani, Igbo, Igala, Tiv, Beri, Touareg, etc. person).

1 Like

Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by Pharaoh9(m): 12:35am On Oct 07, 2017
Fulaman198:

Just like the Northerners worship Arab who are terrorists and descendants of prophet Muhammad the child rapist
Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by Pharaoh9(m): 12:41am On Oct 07, 2017
Fulaman198:

I don't understand how a black man can be a supremacist to another black man, that does not make any sense to me, but ok. No worries man, I don't take attacks on NL seriously. In all honesty, sometimes I actually laugh at them. I think it's good to have this sort off discourse.

I am not trying to present other blacks like idiots, I just hate it when I see Nigerians with names like "Jennifer" I mean what is that...That's not even an old British name. It's an American white lady name. Or when Nigerians can't speak their native tongues and do not know how to act traditional. It's not healthy for the nation as whole.

You are right that when we are abroad that we come as one (that I guess is more for survival as the Average American Joe can not distinguish between a Hausa, Yoruba, Fulani, Igbo, Igala, Tiv, Beri, Touareg, etc. person).

You're a bastard
Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by Fulaman198(m): 7:18am On Oct 07, 2017
Pharaoh9:

Just like the Northerners worship Arab who are terrorists and descendants of prophet Muhammad the child rapist

Since when have Northern people worshipped Arabs. If you knew your research, Islam has been in the North since the 1100s. It was not brought there by Arabs.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by RedboneSmith(m): 8:40am On Oct 07, 2017
Fulaman198:

LOL. You can be funny eh.

You hate when Nigerians answer Jennifer. Do you also hate it when Northerners answer Abdul and Umar and Idris? What do you even mean Jennifer isn't British? Jennifer is a modernization of the Old Briton name Guinevere.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by RedboneSmith(m): 8:50am On Oct 07, 2017
Fulaman198:

Since when have Northern people worshipped Arabs. If you knew your research, Islam has been in the North since the 1100s. It was not brought there by Arabs.

Who brought it doesn't matter. The facts are: it originated among the Arabs, not Northern Nigerians; when you adopted it, you adopted it alongside a whole trough of Arab cultural baggage - Arabic names, the Arabic language (which you used to study the Koran and the law), the Arabic script, etc. You cannot walk through the city of Kano or any other historical city in the north and not get that oriental feel.

If you don't think that makes you 'Arab worshippers', then you need to stop calling Southerners 'White worshippers'.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by Fulaman198(m): 2:20pm On Oct 07, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Who brought it doesn't matter. The facts are: it originated among the Arabs, not Northern Nigerians; when you adopted it, you adopted it alongside a whole trough of Arab cultural baggage - Arabic names, the Arabic language (which you used to study the Koran and the law), the Arabic script, etc. You cannot walk through the city of Kano or any other historical city in the north and not get that oriental feel.

If you don't think that makes you 'Arab worshippers', then you need to stop calling Southerners 'White worshippers'.

By your nonsensical logic then, Indonesians, Pakistanis, Persians, etc are all Arab worshippers.

That's bull. Also there are many Northerners that do not carry Arab based names. I for one, my middle and last name are not Arabised at all.

We do not use Arabic in the North unless if it pertains to the Qur'an, that's absurd. The lingua franca is Hausa followed by my Fulani tongue called Fulfulde. Hausa is an Afro-Asiatic language Just like Arabic, Tigriniya, Tigray, Somalia, Tamashaq, etc. All Afro-Asiatic languages have their root in Africa!

I advise that you learn more about the continent and also about the history of your people. I'm astounded about how little Africans know about other African cultures. It would be an even bigger shame if you know more about Western culture than African cultures.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by RedboneSmith(m): 5:04pm On Oct 07, 2017
Fulaman198:

By your nonsensical logic then, Indonesians, Pakistanis, Persians, etc are all Arab worshippers.

That's bull. Also there are many Northerners that do not carry Arab based names. I for one, my middle and last name are not Arabised at all.

We do not use Arabic in the North unless if it pertains to the Qur'an, that's absurd. The lingua franca is Hausa followed by my Fulani tongue called Fulfulde. Hausa is an Afro-Asiatic language Just like Arabic, Tigriniya, Tigray, Somalia, Tamashaq, etc. All Afro-Asiatic languages have their root in Africa!

I advise that you learn more about the continent and also about the history of your people. I'm astounded about how little Africans know about other African cultures. It would be an even bigger shame if you know more about Western culture than African cultures.

No. The nonsensical logic I was using is actually yours. Remember, you are the one who have always used the presence of European-derived names in Southern Nigeria among other elements European culture to castigate Southerners as 'white worshippers'. Thank God that when someone makes the same argument about you and your people you realise how nonsensical it sounds.

So you have only one Arabic name (your middle and last names, being Fulani). Well, congratulations. That means you have one foreign name MORE than me, a Southern Christian 'white-worshipper'. My first name, middle name and surname are all ethnic names. And I have met many Southern Christians who are like me in having only Yoruba or Igbo names; no European-derived or Biblical names at all. So next time you want to use Jennifer as a prop to pontificate to Southerners, you might do yourself the favour of remembering this, if you don't want me to use Umar and Abdul to pontificate to your own people.

So you learn Arabic for religious purposes only. What difference does it make if it is for secular or religious reasons? The fact is your children spend years in school learning and perfecting their Arabic, a language that is not theirs. If you want to call kids in Lagos speaking Pidgin or domesticated Nigerian English 'white worship', then you have to allow that children in Qu'ranic school reciting verses in Arabic is 'Arab worship'. Worship na worship - whether done full time or only when reciting certain texts. You are also a part-time white worshipper because we are using English now. You realise how ridiculous this kind of thinking is, don't you?

By the way, as a Roman Catholic from the south, I do not even need any foreign languages to learn about my religion. I learnt Catechism in my native tongue, I pray in my native tongue, there are Bibles and prayer books in my native tongue, and on Sundays I attend service (mass) in my native tongue - although there are also masses in English or a mixture of English and Latin, for those who fancy that.

It is always funny to me how some people in the north will want to speak about a Southern Nigeria they do not really know but the second you say one thing about the north, they get agitated and tell you you don't know anything about the north and Africa. Well, guess what? You don't know anything about the South either. And FYI, you told me nothing about the north I already didn't know.

Final word: Stop condescending to Southerners. If you think calling you up north 'Arab worshippers' is nonsensical [and I don't think you lot are - I was only making a point, but look at how animated that got you!], it should also be pretty easy for you to understand that calling us 'white worshippers' is also nonsensical.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by Probz(m): 5:24pm On Oct 07, 2017
RedboneSmith:

No. The nonsensical logic I was using is actually yours. Remember, you are the one who have always used the presence of European-derived names in Southern Nigeria among other elements European culture to castigate Southerners as 'white worshippers'. Thank God that when someone makes the same argument about you and your people you realise how nonsensical it sounds.

So you have only one Arabic name (your middle and last names, being Fulani). Well, congratulations. That means you have one foreign name MORE than me, a Southern Christian 'white-worshipper'. My first name, middle name and surname are all ethnic names. And I have met many Southern Christians who are like me in having only Yoruba or Igbo names; no European-derived or Biblical names at all. So next time you want to use Jennifer as a prop to pontificate to Southerners, you might do yourself the favour of remembering this, if you don't want me to use Umar and Abdul to pontificate to your own people.

So you learn Arabic for religious purposes only. What difference does it make if it is for secular or religious reasons? The fact is your children spend years in school learning and perfecting their Arabic, a language that is not theirs. If you want to call kids in Lagos speaking Pidgin or domesticated Nigerian English 'white worship', then you have to allow that children in Qu'ranic school reciting verses in Arabic is 'Arab worship'. Worship na worship - whether done full time or only when reciting certain texts. You are also a part-time white worshipper because we are using English now. You realise how ridiculous this kind of thinking is, don't you?

By the way, as a Roman Catholic from the south, I do not even need any foreign languages to learn about my religion. I learnt Catechism in my native tongue, I pray in my native tongue, there are Bibles and prayer books in my native tongue, and on Sundays I attend service (mass) in my native tongue - although there are also masses in English or a mixture of English and Latin, for those who fancy that.

It is always funny to me how some people in the north will want to speak about a Southern Nigeria they do not really know but the second you say one thing about the north, they get agitated and tell you you don't know anything about the north and Africa. Well, guess what? You don't know anything about the South either. And FYI, you told me nothing about the north I already didn't know.

Final word: Stop condescending to Southerners. If you think calling you up north 'Arab worshippers' is nonsensical [and I don't think you lot are - I was only making a point, but look at how animated that got you!], it should also be pretty easy for you to understand that calling us 'white worshippers' is also nonsensical.

I’m quite surprised that you subscribe to organised religion Redbone. Aren’t you a scientist?
Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by RedboneSmith(m): 5:38pm On Oct 07, 2017
Probz:

I’m quite surprised that you subscribe to organised religion Redbone. Aren’t you a scientist?

To be honest, it is more of a social obligation for me than an exercise of faith. grin

You'll be surprised at how many people show up to church on Sundays to avoid Auntie X or Friend Y or Father Z (who is a close friend of the family's) asking a barrage of questions.
Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by Probz(m): 5:47pm On Oct 07, 2017
RedboneSmith:

To be honest, it is more of a social obligation for me than an exercise of faith. grin

You'll be surprised at how many people show up to church on Sundays to avoid Auntie X or Friend Y or Father Z (who is a close friend of the family's) asking a barrage of questions.

I’m the same. It’s more of a cultural thing for us negroes whether you believe or not.

We’re more Anglican-influenced in Awka but we switched to Deeper Life and my experience of social obligations to turn up and show face in that holy holy church is something that’s stuck with me since. I go Redeemed whenever I feel like showing face at church though. Unless I’m at my mum’s house.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by RedboneSmith(m): 5:52pm On Oct 07, 2017
Probz:

I’m the same. It’s more of a cultural thing for us negroes whether you believe or not.

We’re more Anglican-influenced in Awka but we switched to Deeper Life and my experience of social obligations to turn up and show face in that holy holy church is something that’s stuck with me since. I go Redeemed whenever I feel like showing face at church though. Unless I’m at my mum’s house.

Redeemed. I attended Redeemed for a bit, because of this girl I had an interest in back in school. wink

Despite being non-religious, I really enjoyed the praise-and-worship session.
Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by Probz(m): 5:59pm On Oct 07, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Redeemed. I attended Redeemed for a bit, because of this girl I had an interest in back in school. wink

Despite being non-religious, I really enjoyed the praise-and-worship session.

That’s it Redbone. Deeper Life had decent tunes back in the day too. I’ve Got My Mind Made Up and Highly Exalted are my favourite church songs to date. That’s why I’ve never been big on Catholic Churches. All those stilted hymns feel forced coming from a bunch of core Nigerians.

I’m even non-religious like you too. But Nigerian churches are a funny experience sha.
Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by Fulaman198(m): 9:43pm On Oct 07, 2017
RedboneSmith:

I see your point, and I am not here to instigate trouble, however let me ask you. What language is spoken mainly in the South? In the SouthWest, one could argue Yoruba, In the Southeast, one could argue Igbo, but are those languages still dominant languages in those regions or are they giving way to English? Choose your answer carefully.

Remember that Pidgin is not a language, but a dialect of English. My main goal here is to emphasize the importance of people's tradition, not to condescend on compatriots. You have a solidified argument, however, let me return to my original statement being "Hausa is the lingua Franca of the North."

What this means is that if you add all the population of non-Hausa (Fulani, Tiv, Jukuns, Ngas, Touaregs, Zarma, Beri, etc. etc.) they outnumber the Hausa by quite a bit. However, each of these ethnic groups are capable of speaking Hausa as a second language. We don't squabble over English. Why use a European language over an African-derived one? Can you answer that question. Why not have one language in the South that unifies and brings together Southerners.

Case in point, in many African nations, Senegal for instance, Wolof is starting to replace French, in Mali, Bambara is replacing French. In Niger republic, Hausa is replacing French. These countries are extremely proud of their respective roots and are not budging from their respective traditions. Whereas in Nigeria, many people are shamefully adopting Western-derived cultures and bowing their heads in submission to Western fairy tales.

I'm proudly African, I take pride in the fact that I speak more African languages than European ones. What about you? What about most Southerners in general?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by MtuMsuper: 12:06pm On Oct 08, 2017
Op,
AA's have a culture. That they identify themselves as a people is enough to say they have one. That they are recognized as one of the several American ethnic groups is also proof positive. That they are seen as distinct and treated(unfairly ,what with all the racial profiling and institutional racism they face on the daily !) as such also confirms it. Which aspect of culture were you considering :was it food, music, language or folk wisdom? coz in any way you look at it, AA have a identity.
Op, as an African girl living in the states, you should try and learn from AA how to survive as a black person in Urrmerikka. Sooner than you think, nobody's gonna see the Somali, Zulu or igbo in you, they gonna see black. You dig what am sayin?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Black Americans Feel Bad They Don't Have Culture? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Oct 08, 2017
[/b]Op, as an African girl living in the states, you should try and learn from AA how to survive as a black person in Urrmerikka. Sooner than you think, nobody's gonna see the Somali, Zulu or igbo in you, they gonna see black. You dig what am sayin? [b] [/quote]

Sister,
While I like your entire post,
this here, very last paragraph of your post pretty much sums it up.
Well stated....

(1) (Reply)

Igbo The World / Friday The 13th: Do You Believe In It? / Efunroye Tinubu With Art ...june Issue Of Asiri Magazine Available For Download.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.