Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,051 members, 7,814,612 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:11 PM

Flora Shaw: The Woman That Named Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Flora Shaw: The Woman That Named Nigeria (1232 Views)

Lekan Balogun Named 42nd Olubadan Of Ibadanland / The Name Nigeria Was Forged On Us By Flora Louise Shaw-we Are Songhai / Oluwo Of Iwoland, Akanbi, Named 6th Richest King, As He Reacts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Flora Shaw: The Woman That Named Nigeria by netozii(m): 2:55pm On Aug 04, 2018
Flora Shaw
'Most Nigerians do not know about Flora Shaw,' Pa Achebe continued. 'To them, Miss Shaw was a mistress or kind of a concubine to Frederick Lugard. Truth be told, Flora's reputation preceded her romantic involvement with Frederick.'

From the smile on Pa Achebe's face, I could tell he admired or had deep respect for Flora Shaw.

'Flora,' he went on, 'was an amazing woman. I wrote her biography before the Nigerian war but could not publish it. When the War was over, I neither found the manuscript nor wished to reproduce it.' He shook his head in mild agony. 'Let me tell you about this feminist that named Nigeria.'

Flora Shaw: The Feminist That Named Nigeria
Flora was from a political family. Her father was Major General George Shaw and her paternal grandfather was Sir Frederick Shaw, third baronet (1799–1876), of Bushy Park, Dublin, and a member of parliament from 1830 to 1848, regarded as the leader of the Irish Conservatives. Her paternal grandmother, Thomasine Emily, was the sixth daughter of the Hon. George Jocelyn, and granddaughter of Robert, first Earl of Roden.

Flora started writing for children at an early age. Her first children's book, Castle Blair, was published in 1877. The book became so popular that it was translated into different languages. She wrote other books and also wrote....

To Cont'd Reading, click the link below:
https://ajambele.com/Africa/pa-achebe-nigerian-history/

Re: Flora Shaw: The Woman That Named Nigeria by TOSIN116: 3:46pm On Aug 04, 2018
Nairalanders don't like unnecessary links
Pour everything down here! angry

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Chinese Students Studying Hausa In Bayero University Kano(pics) / Posting My Picture To Celebrate The Beginning Of My Mid-lifer's Crisis . / Brief History Of Odigbo In Ondo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.