Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,434 members, 7,864,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 08:57 AM

How To Answer The Salary Question In An Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Answer The Salary Question In An Interview (1611 Views)

What Is The Salary Structure For SSCE Holders In FRSC? / What Is The Salary Scale For Fresh Graduates In The Ministry Of Foreign Affairs? / How To Answer The "What Are Your Greatest Strengths?" Question In An Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Answer The Salary Question In An Interview by HumbleVictor(m): 8:26pm On Oct 06, 2017
Have you ever been for an interview and the salary question just pops up. You become puzzled and wonder how you will answer this question without being seen as greedy or cheated. This can be the trickiest question sometimes in an interview. If you tell your interviewer an amount that seems to be outrageously more than the actual salary, many things may come to the interviewer's mind. Perhaps, you are greedy or you will be seen as one who will be financially unsatisfied in the course of working with the firm. If you tell him or her an amount less than the actual salary, you may later discover in future that you are earning less than your contemporaries doing the same job. Then you may feel cheated.
The reasons why companies do ask job candidates the salary question is because they want to know if they can afford you before they invest time and resources courting you to come to work for them. Another possible reason is that they’re trying to see how you value your work. Are you confident enough to ask for what you deserve or will you meekly accept whatever they offer?
One basic tip to answer the salary question is researching about the firm's salary structure before the interview. There are tens, and in some cases hundreds of people competing with you for that particular job. So you must be able to present yourself to the interviewer in a way that will make him or her see you as knowledgeable about the firm in all ramifications and thus give you competitive edge.
On the other hand, you can try these strategies for answering the question;
1. The humility style- here you are trying to play on the interviewer’s sense of empathy and letting him take the lead. It’s more like stating that you are open to anything. Thus, the interviewer is forced to say the first figure. Then you can start bargaining from that standard to the actual rate you inquired about. Examples of answers here are;
- I’m more interested in finding a position that’s a good fit for my skills and interests.
- I’m confident that you’re offering a salary that’s competitive in the current market.
- I’d like to ask what you typically pay someone with my experience and education in this type of position.
- I’m sure whatever you offer will be a fair amount for a person with my qualifications.
- Salary is not the most important factor to me. I’m looking for opportunity.
2. You can also bargain using the results of your inquiry. You should be able to answer the question almost accurately to what the interviewer thinks. Examples of answers here are;
- From the research that I have done, it appears that your firm pays around #80,000 to #95,000 for this job position. Is that the range you had in mind?
- Based on my previous experience and education and the ‘going rate’ for this type of position, I would like to be paid around #150,000 to #170,000. Is that a range that fits with your compensation structure?
Always end it with a question to the interviewer for feedback not to sound too certain.
3. It's no news that a typical Nigerian answers a question with another question. But here, you must do it with great tact and courtesy. You can also ask;
- I’m quite open and slightly flexible on salary as the opportunity to add value and to be valued is important to me. I’d appreciate knowing how you value this position and what your budget is for this role?’
- I’d rather not commit to that quite yet. I’m really open to your thoughts on this as I’m sure you will be consistent with the market?’
Then pause. Just stop talking. By silencing yourself quite abruptly, you are forcing the other person to talk and it shows you are in control.
The way you say this is very important. Say it with a smile on your face and raise your voice at the end of the sentence, so it seems like a question
4. There are still other different ways to answer the salary question in such a way to get positive results. Some of thm include:
- I really need more information about the job before we start to discuss salary. I’d like to postpone that discussion until later.
- Maybe you could tell me what is budgeted for the position, and how your commission structure works.
- I’m sure when the time comes and I know more about the facts of the position and how it fits into the bigger picture, we can come to a mutually agreeable figure.
- I really need more information about the position before I can begin to discuss salary. Can you tell me the range budgeted for this position?
- I would need to know more about your salary structure and how often you review salaries as well as your entire package before I could discuss salary ranges.
- I hope we can postpone this subject until we both have more information to discuss salary and benefit comparisons.
Bottom line, just be calm and answer directly with confidence. But if he insists that you must give a specific amount, be honest and say what you expect to get paid without regrets later.

2 Likes

Re: How To Answer The Salary Question In An Interview by paymentvoucher: 9:03pm On Oct 06, 2017
brb
Re: How To Answer The Salary Question In An Interview by dotman081(m): 5:01am On Oct 07, 2017
Re: How To Answer The Salary Question In An Interview by sucre: 6:25am On Oct 07, 2017
Op. What happens when they give you a form to fill with expected salary and theirs a clause that say's fill all and summit to the hr on the day of interview.

1 Like

Re: How To Answer The Salary Question In An Interview by Olibboy: 4:01pm On Oct 07, 2017
wen u neva get d job. oga u go last for queue
Re: How To Answer The Salary Question In An Interview by AlwaysUltraPad: 11:34pm On Oct 07, 2017
Too many advice on job interview but little jobs or invites to try them on.

Go learn a skill.
Re: How To Answer The Salary Question In An Interview by HumbleVictor(m): 3:19pm On Oct 08, 2017
sucre:
Op. What happens when they give you a form to fill with expected salary and theirs a clause that say's fill all and summit to the hr on the day of interview.
here you apply strategy number 2. Where you'll make enquiries about the salary structure of the company and find out what you are expected to be paid.

(1) (Reply)

Peacock Hotels Recruitment Abuja. / 100 Customer Service Officers Needed In A Telecoms Company / A New Oil Services Coy In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.