Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,883 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:16 PM

5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia (30898 Views)

Nigeria Vs Guinea: 5 Things We Learnt As Super Eagles Qualify For Round Of 16 / World Cup; Lionel Messi's Wife Reacts After Argentina's Victory Over Nigeria. / Poland 0 Vs 1 Nigeria: 5 Things We Learnt In Super Eagles Win (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by samintegrity(m): 10:30pm On Oct 07, 2017
cool
Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by drlaykay(m): 10:34pm On Oct 07, 2017
The Zambian goal was clearly offside.
One thing we learnt today...

Very poor analysis from OP

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by Legendaryarcher(f): 10:39pm On Oct 07, 2017
cheesy
Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by Homeboiy: 10:44pm On Oct 07, 2017
Ghana was denied a clear goal

African refrees self

But I blame the Ghana coach

He dropped better players n used the guys that played WAfu
Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by ogogoroNo1: 10:44pm On Oct 07, 2017
Once thing for sure is that, Nigeria always play better in the tournament proper

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by toseen7: 10:46pm On Oct 07, 2017
naijastoryz:

2. Our defence is average. Ezenwa is raw and not very good. He goofed in our 4-0 defeat at the WAFU final 2 weeks ago. We need a better keeper. Echejile is old and worn out: he doesn't have the legs any more. We need a veritable replacement. Leo and his CB partner looked ragged today against an average attack. I'm picturing how they would fare if they're faced with Harry Kane or Alvaro Morata.
Nonsense!

You watched the back of your T.v abi?

8 Likes

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by Mujtahida: 10:52pm On Oct 07, 2017
JeffreyJamez:
Stupid analysis. You sabi na hin you dey house dey type rubbish. undecided
Very stupid and pedestrian.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by pannyman(m): 10:55pm On Oct 07, 2017
scholes0:
Ogbeni Zambia was offiside jare.
It was close, but they were!

Up Naija! grin

You're right. The guy was clearly offside. The op must have watched this match on a 14-inch screen.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by blackfase(m): 10:59pm On Oct 07, 2017
For those who keep saying the Zambia goal wasnt an offside, well y'all need to take a closer look.

Goal was a tight offside...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by smartbros(m): 11:04pm On Oct 07, 2017
motun2017:
what do i know? just here to read comments eh. What's the score??

Fine girl!! why so so beautiful?? I heard we won with a Goalless 1-0 margin
Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by smartbros(m): 11:06pm On Oct 07, 2017
Homeboiy:
Ghana was denied a clear goal
African refrees self
But I blame the Ghana coach
He dropped better players n used the guys that played WAfu
yaba left calling!!
Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by motun2017(f): 11:23pm On Oct 07, 2017
smartbros:

Fine girl!! why so so beautiful?? I heard we won with a Goalless 1-0 margin
an an dts too small na
Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by phrankchek(m): 11:27pm On Oct 07, 2017
Rubbish and Childish analysis...

How is Echiejile old? Mikel and Echiejile who is older?

AR who is in the mix of the action called for offside, you that prolly saw the game inside a stuffy and rowdy viewing centre where you breathe recycled oxygen said is onside... Please who you help

What I learnt from your post is that you should learn how to analyse a football match using a more professional tone.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by ReachHard: 11:35pm On Oct 07, 2017
Mr OP,

Don't just judge Ezenwa by mere WAFU please.

Remember how we discovered Enyeama, from Enyimba, at Korea/Japan '02... and there was no looking back for him ever since.

Give the man a chance! Don't discard the baby with the bathwater too soon. He could be the dark horse between the sticks in Vladimir Putin's country

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by rookiy(m): 11:54pm On Oct 07, 2017
naijastoryz:
1. This is the hardest match we've played in the WCQ and it showed how we would react to a decent opposition. A lot of work needs to be done on this team as we're going to the tournament next year.

2. Our defence is average. Ezenwa is raw and not very good. He goofed in our 4-0 defeat at the WAFU final 2 weeks ago. We need a better keeper. Echejile is old and worn out: he doesn't have the legs any more. We need a veritable replacement. Leo and his CB partner looked ragged today against an average attack. I'm picturing how they would fare if they're faced with Harry Kane or Alvaro Morata.

3. Moses is NOT a no 10. Conte knows better. Asking him to play towards the centre was counterproductive. He did better against Cameroon because he was played in his natural position. Alex Iwobi is a better number 10 than Moses. Playing Moses towards the centre and Iwobi to the wide was an error.

4. We need better strikers. Ighalo who couldn't secure a spot at Watford and had to go to China seconded by Ihenacho who was booted out by Pep Guardiola and is yet to secure a spot at Leicester isn't good enough. Except the situation of one of these boys changes before next year, we must shop for another striker. It's unfortunate that both Chelsea FC's Tammy Abraham and Liverpool's Solanke have disowned us but we can shop more. We can't continue fluffing chances like we did today.

5. African referees continue to be shameful. Twice in this match, a clear onside was called offside by blind referees. A clear goal that should've stood was wrongly cancelled for Zambia. We won this match because African referees are incompetent and this is why they can never be respected on the global scale.

On the whole, congrats to my dear Nigerians (borrowing Buhari's words). See you in Russia next year!

source-https://naijastoryz..com.ng/2017/10/5-things-about-match-by-peter-keyz.html
oga u be Chelsea fan ..y mention Kane and morata ..y not lukaku..no vex me ohhh..

1 Like

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by successinlife: 11:55pm On Oct 07, 2017
naijastoryz:
1. This is the hardest match we've played in the WCQ and it showed how we would react to a decent opposition. A lot of work needs to be done on this team as we're going to the tournament next year.

3. Moses is NOT a no 10. Conte knows better. Asking him to play towards the centre was counterproductive. He did better against Cameroon because he was played in his natural position. Alex Iwobi is a better number 10 than Moses. Playing Moses towards the centre and Iwobi to the wide was an error.

4. We need better strikers. Ighalo who couldn't secure a spot at Watford and had to go to China seconded by Ihenacho who was booted out by Pep Guardiola and is yet to secure a spot at Leicester isn't good enough. Except the situation of one of these boys changes before next year, we must shop for another striker. It's unfortunate that both Chelsea FC's Tammy Abraham and Liverpool's Solanke have disowned us but we can shop more. We can't continue fluffing chances like we did today.

5. African referees continue to be shameful. Twice in this match, a clear onside was called offside by blind referees. A clear goal that should've stood was wrongly cancelled for Zambia. We won this match because African referees are incompetent and this is why they can never be respected on the global scale.

On the whole, congrats to my dear Nigerians (borrowing Buhari's words). See you in Russia next year!

source-https://naijastoryz..com.ng/2017/10/5-things-about-match-by-peter-keyz.html

Op, you got this wrong either you wrote this or culled it from other website.

My first question to you is this-- Did you write this as a football analyst or as a football observer/fan?

Now, i will break my response into three - In football there is Tactics, Selection and Team chemisty...

1- Tactics is when you study your opponents to know the strong and weak points, what each of their players can do in different situations.
2. Selection is more than the line up a coach rolled out,it involves what each of your player is capable,is the team adaptable on the field should your opponent play differently,each players mentality etc
3. Team chemistry,i know you must have heard of coaches don't change a winning team,it is more than just picking a player to play.

Going into your analysis- England played Harry Kane but scored just a goal in the 94th minutes against Slovenia last Thursday.
- France played 0-0 at home against Luxembourg in their last home game.
- Italy could only play 1 - 1 at home with Macedonia..and many more examples.
These doesn't write off these countries as football powerhouses,in sports the favourites can have off days,that is why FC Seveilla can defeat almighty Real Madrid at home,Barcelona can lost to Malaga etc.

Selection- The coaches have alot of information about their players that you and me may not know.Hence he sticks to the players that can deliver,these sometimes backfires but he accepts all responsibility as the gaffer. I know alot will change before the world cup proper though.The coach is intelligent because for easy blending he has to maintain maximum core of his team,everything will scatter if he keeps changing players every now wnd then,this was what killed the Nigeria 2013 AFCON winning team.

Team Chemistry,i can state here categorically that few changes would have been made to the starting line up today but the coach decides to keep the starting formation that has produced results since the last game,any reasonable coach would have done the same,there is alot of difference between training matches and real match situation.

Kudos to the team,they didn't play to their potentials because of pressure of not making mistakes and winning the world cup ticket on home soil today,sometimes teams play urgly to grind out results,I tell you Zambia did come to spring up a surprise,they want to qualify as well.I did not see that our team is weak or that we are outplayed,we played cautously.

Finally,From my records,Nigeria and other african teams plays better in World cups than in African world cup qualifiers,it is very difficult to play qualifiers,african football is based on fitness,speed and techniques,very little on tactics and match plan.I will confortably support this team with more players coming in and more team B players playing in the A team.

NB, i won't forget the offside Zambian goal,the ref has already blown his whistle before the Zambian player put the ball at the back of the net,the referee was just lenient not to have given him a yellow card.I think you watched South Africa defeat us in 2019 AFCON qualifier, stop castigating refs,even though they make mistakes at times.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by umarpaki: 11:56pm On Oct 07, 2017
oshe11:
who b MOTM

Abdullahi Shehu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by obi58: 12:24am On Oct 08, 2017
[quote author=naijastoryz post=61202428]1. This is the hardest match we've played in the WCQ and it showed how we would react to a decent opposition. A lot of work needs to be done on this team as we're going to the tournament next year.

source-https://naijastoryz..com.ng/2017/10/5-things-about-match-by-peter-keyz.html[/qu

@ op I am most disappointed in your myopic opinion on Ezenwa. Yes he is home based but he is far more competent than the other goal keeping options we have. Can you name a better replacement before you start condemning him?

I also oppose your view about Moses. If he played as a no10, who then played in his position in that match? Even if he plays as a 10 I don't see much wrong with that because he is a definite threat going forward and will attract many fouls which will create set piece goal scoring opportunities. I would rather prefer him on the wing sha because of the defensive cover he offers in addition to his attack runs.Just shows how foolish your statement was. Moses brings a lot to the team apart from his runs forward, he also brings great work rate doubling back to cover. iwobi is skillful yes but he is not great physically and until he improves on his defensive skills, he should continue to come from the bench as an impact player.

Just to show how foolish you are you went on to criticize Ighalo who worked his socks off despite limited supply from the midfield and the wings. I would also like to hear your suggestions for replacement that are better before you open your trap to condemn the boy.he went to China and regular playing time has really helped his game.... He is way sharper than before and yes.... He is better than Ihenacho who even though has an eye for goal is better as a supporting striker.

Our biggest issues in the team still remain our passing, movement and tactical and technical deficiencies which make it difficult to dominate games when teams offer us possession and choose to defend ergo we find it hard to pass well enough to pull the opposition out of their positions except when we are counter attacking. These are the key issues Rohr needs to work on in terms of the team.

With regards personnel, the technical crew needs to go all out to replace Echiejele who is OK defensively but offers nothing going forward and most importantly search for more creative attacking midfielders who. An dictate the tempo of the game by their passing create defence splitting passes, play through the lines like in Man City and spread the play like Mikel.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by CreamyBanana(m): 12:49am On Oct 08, 2017
naijastoryz:

Djeko's legitimate goal against Nigeria was disallowed by an African ref. abi? You guys need to understand that referees and their assistants are human beings with two eyes. Any wonder why FIFA is working toward introduction of more technology into football, including a video assistant referee? It is because referee error is a global issue.
Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by giftedben: 1:26am On Oct 08, 2017
I have always told people that if you want to hear funny commentary and analysis they should come and watch Nigeria match. I will fault you in so many ways.

1. You can't say Ezenwa is not good. Infact he is a decent goal keeper, he can be comical but he holds his own when called upon. Ezenwa saved a shot that bounced in front of him and everyone including me thought that ball was save by the second bar but upon replay we saw that ezenwa parried the ball out. I will tell you how many times I have seen that kind of ball inside the net even in the great English premiere league. Credit also to the Zambia goal keeper for a wonderful save from Ndidi's header.

2. Our defence average? Seriously this is the best defence Nigerian have ever had in the past 20years. Energetic and young, and ever willing to win a match.

Always appreciate African referee's. Even with all the technology provided for European referee's we still see refereeing blunders in their leagues.

I will tell you one thing, the super eagles have achieved victory against other countries than the Nigerian Army.

6 Likes

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by Tajbol4splend(m): 1:28am On Oct 08, 2017
naijastoryz:

The only stupid and preposterous thing about your post is saying African referees are incompetent because of the ruled out goal, haven't you witnessed a similar case in EPL and other European football matches before? Oyibos will condemn us and we will also condemn ourselves. Shior

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by Tajbol4splend(m): 1:29am On Oct 08, 2017
ednut1:
Na second round we go ja for russia

Ode
Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by easyelliot(m): 1:51am On Oct 08, 2017
Op no vex make I do my own

1. Moses and Mikel are the engine of this team
2. We need another good striker, on days when Ighalo malfunctions. He should have had a hat trick today.
3. Rohr could have brought on Iheanacho, but he brought on Iwobi who immediately impacted the game. That's called coaching and I like this coach.
4. Defence was tested and they did not give up a goal.
5. Zambia is a good side.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by gemale(m): 1:55am On Oct 08, 2017
naijastoryz:

1. I agree that our team needs to improve in certain weak areas before the world cup.
2. The duo of Balogun & ekong might not be world class but they are very formidable & less prone to errors. The only goal we have conceded since we started using them is a penalty. It is rare to see opposition strikers get into 1 on 1 with our goalkeeper. Yes initially it seemed the long balls the Zambians played gave concerns & their 9 was mobile looking to run into space but they were dealt with. As the game went on, they became more formidable & forced the Zambians to start taking long range efforts. Ezenwa has been fantastic for us. He makes good saves, commits little or no errors & is always alert even in long range efforts. To lambast him is unfair but if he does better, it is to our good. Elderson is poor, i agree hence I hope Rohr would start aina against Algeria to see if he can do better.
3. I don't think Moses played as a 10. He & simon switched periodically as 7 & 11. If it seemed he become a bit central, that was probably him trying to cut in to shoot or creating space for the FB to overlap & join the attack.
4. I agree that ighalo was unimpressive today but sometimes in football, players have bad days. He played better against Cameroon if you noticed. We do need another striker (proper 9) to compete with him so he doesn't become complacent. Iheanacho shouldn't be played as a 9 IMO rather he should play behind the 9 as a SS because he has good positioning & finishing. That was why he was lethal in the 1st leg.
5. The Zambian player was offside. It was a good call by a vigilant official. He was slightly ahead of Elderson (the last man in our defensive line) when the ball was headed in his direction. The whistle was long sounded before he netted the ball. A hot-headed referee would have carded him for kicking the ball after the whistle had sounded. The 2nd call involving Moses (i'm assuming) was wrong but that sometimes happens in football. The referee doesn't have the privilege of watching replays before taking a decision hence he could make mistakes sometimes.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by Mujtahida: 2:06am On Oct 08, 2017
gemale:

1. I agree that our team needs to improve in certain weak areas before the world cup.
2. The duo of Balogun & ekong might not be world class but they are very formidable & less prone to errors. The only goal we have conceded since we started using them is a penalty. It is rare to see opposition strikers get into 1 on 1 with our goalkeeper. Yes initially it seemed the long balls the Zambians played gave concerns & their 9 was mobile looking to run into space but they were dealt with. As the game went on, they became more formidable & forced the Zambians to start taking long range efforts. Ezenwa has been fantastic for us. He makes good saves, commits little or no errors & is always alert even in long range efforts. To lambast him is unfair but if he does better, it is to our good. Elderson is poor, i agree hence I hope Rohr would start aina against Algeria to see if he can do better.
3. I don't think Moses played as a 10. He & simon switched periodically as 7 & 11. If it seemed he become a bit central, that was probably him trying to cut in to shoot or creating space for the FB to overlap & join the attack.
4. I agree that ighalo was unimpressive today but sometimes in football, players have bad days. He played better against Cameroon if you noticed. We do need another striker (proper 9) to compete with him so he doesn't become complacent. Iheanacho shouldn't be played as a 9 IMO rather he should play behind the 9 as a SS because he has good positioning & finishing. That was why he was lethal in the 1st leg.
5. The Zambian player was offside. It was a good call by a vigilant official. He was slightly ahead of Elderson (the last man in our defensive line) when the ball was headed in his direction. The whistle was long sounded before he netted the ball. A hot-headed referee would have carded him for kicking the ball after the whistle had sounded. The 2nd call involving Moses (i'm assuming) was wrong but that sometimes happens in football. The referee doesn't have the privilege of watching replays before taking a decision hence he could make mistakes sometimes.
Nice analysis, way much more better than the drivel op posted. I'd however say that though Ighalo did not score he worked really hard. He should learn to resist the temptation for the spectacular which is why he failed to convert the pass Moses threaded to him in the box.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by gemale(m): 2:07am On Oct 08, 2017
ReachHard:
Mr OP,

Don't just judge Ezenwa by mere WAFU please.

Remember how we discovered Enyeama, from Enyimba, at Korea/Japan '02... and there was no looking back for him ever since.

Give the man a chance! Don't discard the baby with the bathwater too soon. He could be the dark horse between the sticks in Vladimir Putin's country
Ezenwa was awarded the best keeper in WAFU having kept clean sheets in all but 1 match in the tournament. He has done an excellent job in the qualifiers only conceding a penalty. If he continues this way & if ikeme doesn't recovered before the world cup, i feel comfortable with him in goal at the world cup.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by Menzy86(m): 2:33am On Oct 08, 2017
If u know wat an offside is, u wld have spotted that zambian was when the flick was made to let him in. That defence looks a bit better to me. Only weak link being echiejile. I still dont trust ezenwa too.
Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by delors(m): 2:39am On Oct 08, 2017
so i wld b using dis opportunity to leave a suicide note b4 i commit suicide.goodbye 2 my 2 wives DALE917 and seunmohmoh tongue i would still be stalking u,and please dont marry slayer2 or arleck. to shycypher(should hav been vaseline crew boss by now) to lala247(you wee not kill us with that ur thang),to desola1(that comes online one eternity later),to ednited (mrs ethiopia she could murder u if u spell ethopia *goddamit* ethiopia the wrong way tongue . to BisQuit the wicked jr thread producer to smoochCN and his photography diary ,to my cat (supervillian),to nasty c ,to homer simpson .
*drops pen abi keyboard ni*.
*takes ota pia pia*
*holds stomach*
PEACCCE

*backslides outta thread*
wait shout to my crush i promise to change for good and her friend who is also my crush.
and to any1 reading dis .
*dusts my twitter, reddit and quora account*
shit bout to get real.
PS

am only deactivating and no i didnt play blue whale
pls na like play these things dey take happen o...abeg no commit suicide o.
Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by ussy09(m): 3:08am On Oct 08, 2017
grin grin grin grin
I just they reason how we go take collect for WC
Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by WhoRUDeceiving: 4:28am On Oct 08, 2017
For the Op, what do you think of African nations going to world cup to sing their anthem in Oyibo dialects?

Isn't that shameful?

1 Like

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by uyicos: 4:46am On Oct 08, 2017
naijastoryz:

Why do we like to criticize? This is the first time that we would qualify for the world cup without using the calculator, you don't expect the Zambians to come and play without a fight. Even greater teams fumbled, what do you want Argentina to do? And we qualified from the group of death.#respectsupereagles
Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by bastien: 5:17am On Oct 08, 2017
naijastoryz:

U think football is easy played in bad pitch like ours? Or Africa pitch? That pitch was bad yesterday, and Ekong and Balogun who have been playing in a more solid pitch in Europe can never cope with it! Ball jumping anyhow on the ground, I pity them self! Go watch them play for their respective clubs and u will see Nigeria players are good! If you truly know football and have played the game, u won't type what u just typed here... As for Echiejile, he is still the best we have for now, until we have his replacement!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

All The Award Winners At The AFCON 2021 / U.S Men's Basketball Coach Greg Popovich Reats To 90-87 Loss To Nigeria / Why We Sacked Stephen Keshi- NFF

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.