Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,604 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:08 PM

5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia (30894 Views)

Nigeria Vs Guinea: 5 Things We Learnt As Super Eagles Qualify For Round Of 16 / World Cup; Lionel Messi's Wife Reacts After Argentina's Victory Over Nigeria. / Poland 0 Vs 1 Nigeria: 5 Things We Learnt In Super Eagles Win (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by kjhova(m): 9:35am On Oct 08, 2017
naijastoryz, let help you better your analysis:

1. This is the hardest match we've played in the WCQ and it showed how we would react to a decent opposition. A lot of work needs to be done on this team as we're going to the tournament next year. This is a good team that is improving and can get better.

2. Our defence is faced their toughest challenge to date. And indeed bigger challenges await as we approach the world cup finals. The goalkeeper, Ezenwa is raw and still has a lot of learning to do. He had a horrid game in our 4-0 defeat to Ghana at the WAFU Cup final 2 weeks ago and was arguably at fault for gifting Cameroon the penalty that led to the equaliser in our world cup qualifier in Yaounde. On the positive though, Ezenwa kept a clean sheet yesterday and now has 9 clean sheets out of his first 13 games. as statistics go, this is better start than the mercurial Peter Rufai and Alloy Agu who is, incidentally, Ezenwa's current trainer. Our right back, Echiejile is aging and doesn't have the legs he used to have in his youth. We need a veritable cover for this wing to relieve him as he is not expected to render 90mins full games at the world cup. Leon and Troost-Ekong, our CB partnership, were run ragged today against a surprisingly fast and agile Zambian attack. Life will get even tougher at the world cup as we face the likes of Harry Kane or Alvaro Morata. This partnership has been the best the Super Eagles have had since Uche Okechukwu and Stephen Keshi in 93/94 and is the latter held their own against the likes of Maradona, Stoichkov and Zola to reach the 2nd round, there is no telling if the former can't do better with proper preparation, training and determination.

3. Moses is NOT a no 10 as his club manager, Antonio Conte, may have figured out. Asking him to play towards the centre seem counterproductive to his skill set. He did better against Cameroon because he was played in his natural wide position. Alex Iwobi is a better number 10 than Moses. Therefore, playing Iwobi in the center and Moses out wide seems like a better structure.

4. Our strikers need to come to the party. Ighalo who obviously has revived his career since his move from Watford to the Chinese Super League seconded by Iheanacho, who is yet to secure playing time at former English champions, Leicester City since his loan spell from Manchester City, both seem tentative yet for the Super Eagles. The guys must step up and improve their chance conversion rates and scoring rates. We must shop for more strikers, if there is any out there. No need to mention Chelsea FC's Tammy Abraham and Liverpool's Solanke if they won't ply for us besides that they are not especially better than what we have on ground already.

5. Football refereeing continue to be shameful. In this match, a clear onside was called offside just like in the Ghana vs Uganda game in which a good late goal by Ghana was disallowed wrongly by the centre referee and his incompetent assistant. The call for the introduction of video evidence in football will remain veritable so long as dodgy calls from referees continue.

On the whole, congrats to my dear Nigerians (borrowing Buhari's words). See you in Russia next year!
Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by DALE917(f): 9:40am On Oct 08, 2017
Slayer2:

No. I will soon deactivate my account. Nairaland is getting more boring, I like you as a friend, that's why I said add on whatsapp make I fit they reach you. But it's your choice anyway.

Yh, my choice
Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by Nobody: 9:58am On Oct 08, 2017
What is it about Nigeria,things are seriously not right with Nigeria,even common Zambia nigeria beat and Nigerians are rejoicing as if they have Beaten Brazil.

Common Zambia.

Smh.
Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by master69(m): 10:43am On Oct 08, 2017
U analysing dem can u even kick a ball....u are talking, dis one worn out and d rest........yeye dey smell.
Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by DeRay98(m): 12:21pm On Oct 08, 2017
OpssonD1:
Osheyyyy Jon Champion of Africa. Playing in the Chinese league doesn't undermine your worth in front of goal, regardless of the team. Go and ask paulinho of Brazil Who was just shipped to Barcelona. he has two goals already and Suarez is still struggling with just one. Saying Iheanacho was kicked out by guardiola due to performance reason is terribly wrong. Manchester City needed to play the new boys they bought and had to move old faces like nasri and Jesus navas too. I agree with you on both ezenwa and echiejile but we can't just rule them out beacause they played poorly. They've been loyal and have previously shown they are ready to give their all for the team. I say we keep the team and build their confidence before June next year.

Great insight and understanding of how things go, not all those sentimental analysis by occasional match watchers who only do when the going is good.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by DeRay98(m): 12:21pm On Oct 08, 2017
euromilion:
What is it about Nigeria,things are seriously not right with Nigeria,even common Zambia nigeria beat and Nigerians are rejoicing as if they have Beaten Brazil.

Common Zambia.

Smh.

go and sleep, you don't know anything about football.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by Phi001(m): 12:48pm On Oct 08, 2017
easyelliot:
Op no vex make I do my own

1. Moses and Mikel are the engine of this team
2. We need another good striker, on days when Ighalo malfunctions. He should have had a hat trick today.
3. Rohr could have brought on Iheanacho, but he brought on Iwobi who immediately impacted the game. That's called coaching and I like this coach.
4. Defence was tested and they did not give up a goal.
5. Zambia is a good side.
Responding to your siggy, Oliver Queen does that too and wins...
Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by jidebabs8: 5:07pm On Oct 08, 2017
In my opinion, if we leave group stage we've tried
Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by ednited(f): 2:14pm On Oct 11, 2017
so i wld b using dis opportunity to leave a suicide note b4 i commit suicide.goodbye 2 my 2 wives DALE917 and seunmohmoh tongue i would still be stalking u,and please dont marry slayer2 or arleck. to shycypher(should hav been vaseline crew boss by now) to lala247(you wee not kill us with that ur thang),to desola1(that comes online one eternity later),to ednited (mrs ethiopia she could murder u if u spell ethopia *goddamit* ethiopia the wrong way tongue . to BisQuit the wicked jr thread producer to smoochCN and his photography diary ,to my cat (supervillian),to nasty c ,to homer simpson .
*drops pen abi keyboard ni*.
*takes ota pia pia*
*holds stomach*
PEACCCE

*backslides outta thread*
wait shout to my crush i promise to change for good and her friend who is also my crush.
and to any1 reading dis .
*dusts my twitter, reddit and quora account*
shit bout to get real.
PS

am only deactivating and no i didnt play blue whale

Really sad you left. . .but I never thought am that scary. hehe
Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by seunmohmoh(f): 6:30pm On Oct 13, 2017
ednited:

Really sad you left. . .but I never thought am that scary. hehe
did he commit suicide
Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by seunmohmoh(f): 6:33pm On Oct 13, 2017
so i wld b using dis opportunity to leave a suicide note b4 i commit suicide.goodbye 2 my 2 wives DALE917 and seunmohmoh tongue i would still be stalking u,and please dont marry slayer2 or arleck. to shycypher(should hav been vaseline crew boss by now) to lala247(you wee not kill us with that ur thang),to desola1(that comes online one eternity later),to ednited (mrs ethiopia she could murder u if u spell ethopia *goddamit* ethiopia the wrong way tongue . to BisQuit the wicked jr thread producer to smoochCN and his photography diary ,to my cat (supervillian),to nasty c ,to homer simpson .
*drops pen abi keyboard ni*.
*takes ota pia pia*
*holds stomach*
PEACCCE

*backslides outta thread*
wait shout to my crush i promise to change for good and her friend who is also my crush.
and to any1 reading dis .
*dusts my twitter, reddit and quora account*
shit bout to get real.
PS

am only deactivating and no i didnt play blue whale
please dont go
Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by WizzPoll: 6:54pm On Oct 13, 2017
naijastoryz:
1. This is the hardest match we've played in the WCQ and it showed how we would react to a decent opposition. A lot of work needs to be done on this team as we're going to the tournament next year.

2. Our defence is average. Ezenwa is raw and not very good. He goofed in our 4-0 defeat at the WAFU final 2 weeks ago. We need a better keeper. Echejile is old and worn out: he doesn't have the legs any more. We need a veritable replacement. Leo and his CB partner looked ragged today against an average attack. I'm picturing how they would fare if they're faced with Harry Kane or Alvaro Morata.

3. Moses is NOT a no 10. Conte knows better. Asking him to play towards the centre was counterproductive. He did better against Cameroon because he was played in his natural position. Alex Iwobi is a better number 10 than Moses. Playing Moses towards the centre and Iwobi to the wide was an error.

4. We need better strikers. Ighalo who couldn't secure a spot at Watford and had to go to China seconded by Ihenacho who was booted out by Pep Guardiola and is yet to secure a spot at Leicester isn't good enough. Except the situation of one of these boys changes before next year, we must shop for another striker. It's unfortunate that both Chelsea FC's Tammy Abraham and Liverpool's Solanke have disowned us but we can shop more. We can't continue fluffing chances like we did today.

5. African referees continue to be shameful. Twice in this match, a clear onside was called offside by blind referees. A clear goal that should've stood was wrongly cancelled for Zambia. We won this match because African referees are incompetent and this is why they can never be respected on the global scale.

On the whole, congrats to my dear Nigerians (borrowing Buhari's words). See you in Russia next year!

source-https://naijastoryz..com.ng/2017/10/5-things-about-match-by-peter-keyz.html

OP you are right on most points

I don't have faith in Ezenwa either. We need a different goalkeeper or let Enyeama return

Echiejile is too old to be our number one left back. He used to be very good going forward when he had the legs but should be a squad player for now while he is replaced with a younger forward bombing leftback.

Iwobi no doubt is our best number 10

We also need a new typical super eagles striker who is strong, big, skillful and lethal. I think we should start giving Imo Fred Friday the games and opportunity to develop into that role.

http://wizz-poll.com/2017/10/08/imoh-fred-friday-may-be-the-new-emenike/

1 Like

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by WizzPoll: 9:35pm On Oct 13, 2017
my ideal line up

Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by arleck(m): 12:26pm On Oct 16, 2017
seunmohmoh:
please dont go
why warned you off me?? undecided
Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by seunmohmoh(f): 11:50pm On Oct 17, 2017
arleck:

why warned you off me??
undecided
sorry?
Re: 5 Things We Learnt From Our Victory Over Zambia by arleck(m): 2:32am On Oct 18, 2017
seunmohmoh:
sorry?
The guy that deactivated

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Barcelona Signs Frenkie De Jong From Ajax For £75m (Photos) / Governor Ademola Adeleke Receives Rasheedat Ajibade And Rofiat Imuran / Dembele Is A 'genius' Like Okocha - Pochettino

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.