Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,215 members, 7,815,248 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:34 AM

RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup (14940 Views)

Benzina Of Morocco Set To Make History In Women's World Cup. / World Cup Qualifier: Senegal, Morocco Into Next Phase, Nigeria Stumbles / List Of 8 Countries That Have Qualified For World Cup 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by Djpaparazy(m): 7:57pm On Oct 09, 2017
Nigeria and Egypt secured places at the weekend with home victories over Zambia and Congo Brazzaville respectively, leaving eight countries hunting the other three slots.
Tunisia or the Democratic Republic of Congo will qualify from Group A and Morocco or the Ivory Coast from Group C

All four Group D teams — Senegal, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde and South Africa — can win the mini-league.
AFP sport analyses the Africa zone qualifying competition ahead of the final fixtures between November 6 and 14:

Group A
Tunisia need one point from a home fixture against north African neighbours Libya to secure a fifth World Cup appearance and first since 2006.
It is a task well withing the capabilities of the “Carthage Eagles”, who are unbeaten in five qualifiers while Libya have lost four.
Should Tunisia suffer a shock loss and DR Congo defeat Guinea at home, first place will be decided by goal difference.

Group B
When Algeria, Cameroon, Nigeria and Zambia were placed together, no one could have imagined that the “group of death” would be settled before the final round.
Algeria were the most impressive African performers at the 2014 World Cup, taking eventual champions Germany to extra time, and gritty Cameroon won the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations.
But Nigeria made a flying start, taking six points from two matches while all their rivals stumbled, and were six points ahead of second-place Zambia when they sealed top spot.

Group C
Morocco take a one-point lead over the Ivory Coast to west Africa for a pressure-packed showdown that will determine which of the countries goes to Russia.
The pressure is on 2006/2010/2014 qualifiers Ivory Coast as they must win having been held 0-0 in Mali at the weekend and overtaken when Morocco thumped Gabon 3-0 in Casablanca.
Morocco last competed at a World Cup in 1998 and are banking on France-born former Ivory Coast coach Herve Renard to end a run of four failed qualifying campaigns.

Group D
Although all four teams can come first, 2002 World Cup quarter-finalists Senegal are sitting pretty with a two-point lead and a game in hand over two challengers.
The Senegalese need two points from away and home fixtures against bottom side South Africa to secure a second appearance at the global football showpiece.
South Africa beat Senegal 2-1 last November only for the result to be annulled and a replay ordered when FIFA found Ghanaian referee Joseph Lamptey guilty of match manipulation.

Group E
Egypt snatched a dramatic 2-1 home win over Congo Brazzaville at the weekend to book a World Cup place 27 years after last featuring in the competition.
Following many heart-breaking qualifying failures, the north Africans must have feared the worst when Congo levelled with two minutes of regular time left in Alexandria.
But Liverpool star Mohamed Salah calmly converted a penalty five minutes into stoppage time to win the game and give Egypt an unassailable four-point advantage over Uganda.
AFP -

SOURCE: http://ibomreports..com.ng/2017/10/russia2018-tunisia-senegal-morocco-set.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by anuoluwapo884(m): 7:59pm On Oct 09, 2017
Congratulations to NGR we are not using our calculator this time# wish Burkina Faso can qualify from their group

1 Like

Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by Nobody: 12:22am On Oct 10, 2017
Morocco is going nowhere,,, ivory coast will beat them and Senegal just need a draw pere, 1point... They av more goals, unless Burkina Faso beat Cape Verde 5 - 0

5 Likes

Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by easyelliot(m): 3:28am On Oct 10, 2017
Abeg where is Ghana??

Teams that will join SE and the pharohs

Tunisia
Senegal
Ivory Coast

South Africa still basking in the glow of the last two times they faced us, they forgot about the WC.

Cameroon? We own. If not for our goal keeper and his Jackie chan moment, beatdown in yaounde was in the books.

What do I wish for?

Nigeria beats SA 5-0 in their backyard in the return leg and SE are drawn in the same group as England so we can finally beat the toothless 3 lions.

(End transmission)

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by kay29000(m): 7:13am On Oct 10, 2017
Nice
Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by abescom: 7:14am On Oct 10, 2017
easyelliot:
Abeg where is Ghana??

Tunisia
Senegal
Ivory Coast

South Africa still basking in the glow of the last two times they faced us, they forgot about the WC.

Cameroon? We own. If not for our go and his Jackie chan moment, beatdown in yaounde was in the books.

What do I wish for?

Nigeria beats SA 5-0 in their backyard in the return leg and SE are drawn in the same group as England so we can finally beat the toothless 3 lions.

(End transmission)
If NFF is wise, they will invite beatable countries such as England for friendlies before the draws. That way we will get higher in FIFA ranking which will help us get a better draw.

Countries such as Wales, England, Serbia, Poland that are beatable but ahead of us in FIFA ranking.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by rozayx5(m): 7:15am On Oct 10, 2017
we lucky the eagles did not turn us to math profs this time around

and did a nice job cheesy cheesy cheesy

13 Likes

Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by adeom141(m): 7:16am On Oct 10, 2017
Ghana nor follow....maybe they will beat other countries to perform one corner dancer at the opening ceremony... ;DGhana nor follow....maybe they will beat other countries to perform one corner dancer at the opening ceremony...

8 Likes

Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by Stevengerd(m): 7:17am On Oct 10, 2017
This year is indeed a year of suprises! Just look at the countries not able to qualify

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by NeeKlaus: 7:18am On Oct 10, 2017
easyelliot:
Abeg where is Ghana??

Tunisia
Senegal
Ivory Coast

Cameroon? We own. If not for our go and his Jackie chan moment, beatdown in yaounde was in the books.

What do I wish for?

(End transmission)
What in God's name is this one talking about??

5 Likes

Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by Ezechionye: 7:19am On Oct 10, 2017
Most African teams will be their to make up the numbers. will just play group matches and come back home

1 Like

Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by Alezy(m): 7:25am On Oct 10, 2017
abescom:
If NFF is wise, they will invite beatable countries such as England for friendlies before the draws. That way we will get higher in FIFA ranking which will help us get a better draw.

Countries such as Wales, England, Serbia, Poland that are beatable but ahead of us in FIFA ranking.
guy, can u beat Poland?? Or Serbia?? Hnmmm. No let this victory deceive u o

9 Likes

Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by Nobody: 7:25am On Oct 10, 2017
emperorgoke:
Morocco is going nowhere,,, ivory coast will beat them and Senegal just need a draw pere, 1point... They av more goals, unless Burkina Faso beat Cape Verde 5 - 0
I prefer Morocco......The Elephants are not that once organised team we knew. Let the best teams represent us...

9 Likes

Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by hoopLA: 7:34am On Oct 10, 2017
abescom:

I'd likely agree with you, except that the time between the last qualifier and the draw itself is less than a month. any friendly won't most likely make a dent on the rankings and as such we may not be able to move as high as we want to to get the favourable draw. Remember that the ranking system is cumulative.

2 Likes

Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by abescom: 7:43am On Oct 10, 2017
Alezy:
guy, can u beat Poland?? Or Serbia?? Hnmmm. No let this victory deceive u o
Not seen Serbia play but we sure can beat Wales, England and Poland. Surely but again, the draw takes place in December which makes it too late now.

1 Like

Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by abescom: 7:45am On Oct 10, 2017
hoopLA:

I'd likely agree with you, except that the time between the last qualifier and the draw itself is less than a month. any friendly won't most likely make a dent on the rankings and as such we may not be able to move as high as we want to to get the favourable draw. Remember that the ranking system is cumulative.

I actually forgot the world cup is next year but it is disgraceful NFF are not thinking this way. We can beat the likes of Wales, Denmark, England, Poland, Iceland, Mexico, Croatia and they are ahead of us in FIFA we should have gamed the system like Wales did for the last Euros.
Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by omusiliyu(m): 8:06am On Oct 10, 2017
whether Ghana qualify or not, their presence is needed at Moscow for the opening ceremony. ..

one corner one corner eeeeeeh
one corner one corner haaaaa

1 Like

Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by naijalodge(m): 8:07am On Oct 10, 2017
abescom:
I actually forgot the world cup is next year but it is disgraceful NFF are not thinking this way. We can beat the likes of Wales, Denmark, England, Poland, Iceland, Mexico, Croatia and they are ahead of us in FIFA we should have gamed the system like Wales did for the last Euros.
keep dreaming undecided

1 Like

Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by jakD: 8:19am On Oct 10, 2017
I wish Tunisia, Senegal and Ivory Coast can join Nigeria and Egypt in Russia. Africa need very strong and competitive teams in Russia. We must win the cup this time. Africa, Charge!!!

5 Likes

Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by dazzlingd(m): 8:20am On Oct 10, 2017
To my S.A. brothers
If South Africa can beat Senegal and Burkina Faso, Then Senegal draws with Cape Verde, Then Cape Verde beats Burkina Faso, Then Burkina Faso loses by 1 goal, Then South Africa scores 3 goals. Then Senegal concede 2 goals while Cape Verde does not score an away goal, Then South Africa will qualify. What am trying to say is "Bafana is not going to Russia

grin

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by LordOfNaira: 8:25am On Oct 10, 2017
We want a better footballing experience this time around. In 2014, we could have beaten France but we messed it all up. Our players need to believe that we can surpass previous second round records. In 2014, the French were made ordinary only for them to come around toward the end of the match to beat us 2-0. That match was painful.

As for the seeding, I am not really concerned. I believe we can beat anyone. We held England to a 0-0 draw with a team full of first timers in 2002. England had Beckham and Scholes. We only need to always try to keep our heads when we score first. 2002 and 2010 come to mind. In 2002, we scored first against Sweden only for them to come around to beat us. Exactly same thing happened in 2010 when we scored first in the match against Greece only for them to come back to beat us. Same against South Korea. We got a first early goal only for South Korea to soon be leading us 2-1. All these matches were very painful for me. They were even more painful than the France 98 disastrous second round match against Denmark.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by nNEOo(m): 8:31am On Oct 10, 2017
dazzlingd:
To my S.A. brothers
If South Africa can beat Senegal and Burkina Faso, Then Senegal draws with Cape Verde, Then Cape Verde beats Burkina Faso, Then Burkina Faso loses by 1 goal, Then South Africa scores 3 goals. Then Senegal concede 2 goals while Cape Verde does not score an away goal, Then South Africa will qualify. What am trying to say is "Bafana is not going to Russia

grin

ha...nawa 4 u oh crushing the little hope left,anyways the best should rep us ...al hail *naija

1 Like

Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by hoopLA: 8:37am On Oct 10, 2017
abescom:

I really don't think the NFF can do too much about it at this stage.
Maybe they should have had the foresight to arrange these matches earlier, but getting nations to play friendlies before the draw will be an issue.

Also, even in the past, we've had logistical issues arranging ordinary friendlies. We have to go to non-descript stadia in UK to play very limited opposition all in the name of friendlies.

At this point I would just hope that the NFF doesn't bungle our preparations for this world cup. Right now that is paramount for me. We should learn from the mistakes of the past and use them to make good preparations so we can make good progress in the world Cup, instead of just being content with just the second round.
Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by senatordave1(m): 8:38am On Oct 10, 2017
No need for nigerians to raise their hopes because we are going to russia to complete numbers and for formality.we wont make it out of the group stage.fifa says it is using the october rankings to seed teams so ni need for nigeria to attain higher rankings.we would be ranked with either germany,brazil,france etc

1 Like

Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by Emusan(m): 8:45am On Oct 10, 2017
when it comes to world cup all African football supporters know the white nations they give their absolute support.

I support Nigeria or I support Ghana, Cameroon e.t.c it's just a saving face.
Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by Nbote(m): 8:48am On Oct 10, 2017
Atleast looks like Africa would b having a very strong contingent dis tym around. Though I'll have loved Cape Verde to b our own very little surprise to d world cup. Dey've made giant strides over d past couple of years. It is now all d useless friendly matches would come to bite us in d ass. While others were playing relevant teams to gain ranking points we we busy playing Islands and part time footballing countries. Any which way we must now brace ourselves to meet any of d teams in d top 10..

1 Like

Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by ayokunlei(m): 9:11am On Oct 10, 2017
omusiliyu:
whether Ghana qualify or not, their presence is needed at Moscow for the opening ceremony. ..

I have been seeing this one corner of a thing. Abeg what does it mean?
Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by valentineuwakwe(m): 9:12am On Oct 10, 2017
yes Nigeria, Egypt, Tunisia has qualified. .but I see Senegal going through but the match between Morocco and ivory coast will decide who goes. .but since it will be played at Abidjan and the coach of Morocco was once a former ivory coast manager, it will be do or die game. .
Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by fortune1894(m): 9:41am On Oct 10, 2017
abescom:

which of the countries mentioned r u guaranteed a win
NO GO THERE OO
Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by abescom: 9:55am On Oct 10, 2017
fortune1894:

which of the countries mentioned r u guaranteed a win
NO GO THERE OO
Nothing is certain in football but going into the match knowing the objective could help the players play better.

Wales had a wonderful draw at the last Euros because their FA intentionally took advantage of a loophole. We should have done same thing. And I am sure many countries are doing the same thing now.

The FIFA ranking which is used in seeding teams for key tournaments can easily be gamed. Easily.

1 Like

Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by robosky02(m): 10:17am On Oct 10, 2017
omusiliyu:

which corner?
Re: RUSSIA2018: Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco Set For World Cup by AlwaysUltraPad: 10:17am On Oct 10, 2017
I pray south Africa crashes out. Ghana should stay out too.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Manchester United: Coronavirus Pandemic Has Cost Us £28 Million So Far / Basketball: D'Tigress Beats Mali, Qualify For FIBA 2022 World Cup / US Open 2019 Men's Final: Rafael Nadal Vs Daniil Medvedev Discussion Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.