Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,179 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:54 AM

Obj's Birthday - Senate Paid David Mark N30 Miilion To Attend - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obj's Birthday - Senate Paid David Mark N30 Miilion To Attend (1081 Views)

David Mark Visits Agatu Community (Graphic Photos Inside) / David Mark Visits The Palace Of The Och'idoma - Photos / Labaran Maku Hits Back At David Mark, Ahmadu Ali Through A Press Statement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obj's Birthday - Senate Paid David Mark N30 Miilion To Attend by newmaster(m): 4:49am On Mar 10, 2010
Senate paid David Mark N30 Million to attend OBJ’s Birthday
Wednesday, 10 March 2010 01:14 David Gbong Dear Editor,

You posted on elombah.com about Nigeria lawmakers carting home 11 million per annum. I don’t think that is the correct figure. The federal lawmakers fought against FOI bill so that the public will not get to know their allowance. But I tell you, a senator in Nigeria is earning more than Obama, Sarkozy, and Gordon Brown combined. I know what I am saying because I am very close to many of them.

Yes I read your articles and I am ok your write up. But the enormity of their criminality is annoying. My senator has 30 million allocated for him for his estacode to Ogun state to attend OBJ birthday. Not any state function. You can’t believe this, but they continually keep Nigerians in the dark.

That Senator is David Mark

Remember that on that Friday in Abeokuta, at his 73rd birthday ceremony, which featured a book presentation and an annual lecture of the Centre for Human Security of the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library, the former President said no section or group had the right to appropriate the nation.

Responding to the speeches made in his honour, Obasanjo added that some people were playing with the destiny of Nigeria for selfish interest.

He said,”No group or section of the country has the right to appropriate Nigeria; every group has a stake in running this country.

”People will say I‘m always talking. At this age, what else will I do if I cannot say the truth? Whatever needs to be done or said must be said and done in order to move the country forward.

”I cannot say I want to go to the Senate otherwise, people like David Mark will be afraid. Iyabo (his Senator daughter) is here. If I die now, she will call everybody to eat and kill cow. So, why should I be afraid to say what I have to say at this time? So, no one group or section, whether ministers or section have the right to appropriate Nigeria. We must say what we have to say in order to move the nation forward.‘‘

Obasanjo was apparently referring to the succession crisis that is raging since February 9 when the National Assembly in two separate resolutions made the Vice-President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, Acting President of the nation because of the prolonged illness of Yar‘Adua.

Before he spoke, the president of the Senate, David Mark, had charged Jonathan to take the driver‘s seat and move forward effectively, saying that the Acting President had no excuse not to begin to move the ship of governance forward.

Mark, who was the guest of honour at the birthday anniversary, book presentation and annual lecture, said the nation was passing through a critical phase and as such, the politicisation of sensitive national issues was unnecessary.

Deviating from his prepared address, the senate president, who described Obasanjo‘s passion and patriotism as unparalleled in the country, said the upper legislative house would not be swayed by politics, but would be committed to doing what the Constitution of the country dictated in charting a great path for the country.

Mark said, ”We now have an Acting President, who has been empowered by the country to function as the head of government. The issue is now resolved. So, the Acting President now has no excuses not to perform, but begin to move forward.”

He nevertheless believed that the prevailing political situation was a harbinger of goodness for the country.

”We are going through a critical season in our history as a nation. We are at the threshold of an emerging era. The unfolding events are for our good and they provide good lessons that will make us stronger. They will provide the catalyst for us to re-organise ourselves for the challenges that will crystallise us into a virile nation.

”At the moment, we have an Acting President and he can move the nation forward; he needs our support. We should, therefore, not dissipate too much energy talking about Mr. President‘s health,” Mark added.

Mark, who said that Obasanjo had usually plunged into trouble because of his love for the country, noted that he sometimes”says the truth at the wrong time.”

He added, ”More than anything else, his roadmap for the country is anchored on the pillars of integrity, truth and service. Sometimes, it is the truth said at the wrong time. However, he believes the truth must be the truth and must be said not minding whose ox is gored.”

The Senate president, who said the National Assembly, especially the upper house would not shy away from the responsibility of providing legislation on what concerned Nigerians, especially the man on the streets, added that the NASS was about deliberating on the Electoral Reform Bill.

David Gbong wrote in from Abuja

http://www.elombah.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3074:senate-paid-david-mark-n30-million-to-attend-objs-birthday&catid=25:politics&Itemid=92

Re: Obj's Birthday - Senate Paid David Mark N30 Miilion To Attend by desgiezd(m): 9:43am On Mar 10, 2010
@ Poster

Do you mean #30 million as in millions because I'm confused here. This is someone who would be driven to the airport with outriders where an airplane would be already waiting. On landing in Lagos, another set of vehicles would be waiting with outriders as well to take him to Abeokuta, that is if he did not fly to Abeokuta in a chopper, so what really is this #30 million for?

How much then does this man collect anyrime he travels out of the country for about a week for official functions?
Re: Obj's Birthday - Senate Paid David Mark N30 Miilion To Attend by redsun(m): 10:11am On Mar 10, 2010
I have never seen or heard of a bunch of retarded animals undeserving of the pay they extract from a dying nation like nigerian politicians.They are nothing but legitimate criminals ruthlessly destroying the lives of even nigerians unborn.
Re: Obj's Birthday - Senate Paid David Mark N30 Miilion To Attend by OAM4J: 11:14am On Mar 10, 2010
Awon ole - Thieves shocked
Re: Obj's Birthday - Senate Paid David Mark N30 Miilion To Attend by violent(m): 11:31am On Mar 10, 2010
30 million?

90% of Nigerians will never own 30 million in their life time.

The bigger thieves are celebrated, the ones who snatch purses are set ablaze, now, how do we define a fair system?

Until we employ the Chinese way of fighting corruption, the dream of a corrupt free country is going to remain what it is. . . a dream!
Re: Obj's Birthday - Senate Paid David Mark N30 Miilion To Attend by princekevo(m): 12:04pm On Mar 10, 2010
N30k or N30billion? Oh C'mon this must be a propaganda. This cant be.
Re: Obj's Birthday - Senate Paid David Mark N30 Miilion To Attend by 9NE: 9:34pm On Mar 10, 2010
If we are sincere to ourselves this matter should not even cause debate. 30m is even small to Mark considering the risk involve in travelling. secondly,the person he is meetinng (obj) is very relevant as far as nigeria is concerned. so, 30m is justfiable
Re: Obj's Birthday - Senate Paid David Mark N30 Miilion To Attend by Fhemmmy: 9:47pm On Mar 10, 2010
What would the money be for?
And what was the reason for his attendance?
Re: Obj's Birthday - Senate Paid David Mark N30 Miilion To Attend by ifihearam: 11:41pm On Mar 10, 2010
To answer your questions as to what the money is meant for is very simple na

FOR FUEL
Re: Obj's Birthday - Senate Paid David Mark N30 Miilion To Attend by ayinba1(f): 12:02am On Mar 11, 2010
I laff grin grin that must be some expensive fuel!
Re: Obj's Birthday - Senate Paid David Mark N30 Miilion To Attend by mamagee3(f): 12:07am On Mar 11, 2010
Who the heck is David Mark?
And to think this thief's birthday bash is being announced like some patriot
is celebrating his birthday after a war is quite stunning.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Dependence On Imported Fuel ‘makes No Sense,’ Says Us / Buhari Urges Inec To Conduct Free Polls ! / Our Bombs Were Not Planted To Kill – MEND

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.