Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,337 members, 7,815,668 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:16 PM

OPINION: This Is Why Igbos Cannot Leave Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / OPINION: This Is Why Igbos Cannot Leave Nigeria (864 Views)

Igbos Cannot Be Nigerian President Unless They Do This / Rochas Okorocha: Igbos Cannot Make Presidency Alone / Political Appointment Saga: Seun Onigbinde Cannot Leave Twitter — Budgit’s Spoke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

OPINION: This Is Why Igbos Cannot Leave Nigeria by kamikaze199044: 8:13am On Oct 12, 2017
OPINION: This Is Why Igbos Cannot Leave Nigeria

In light of the tensions growing in the land, I had to cut my sabbatical short to address the prevailing agitations that has gathered momentum over the past few weeks. ‘Biafra’ and ‘Restructuring’ are the latest events to heat up the polity in Nigeria. Both events have common factors. They are both driven by resource control and management. But they both differ in modus operandi. The agitation threat of Biafra gave birth to restructuring. Given the aforementioned, let me further state and describe the nature of both events and their economic implications.

The quest for Biafra centers on secession and balkanization of the Nigerian State. Championed by Nnamdi Kanu, the chief antagonist, Biafra attempts to divide the nation and gain absolute control of all resources in “Biafran States”. The penchant for self-autonomy is driven by hatred for other regions, most especially the North. Biafra wants independence but does that serve the Nation in whole a great deal of good? No. Simply said, the Igbos, who claim they are victims of marginalization are known for their commercial and trade exploits all over the country. In Lagos here alone, they dominate the retail and wholesale markets at Computer Village, Alaba International, and the Okirika markets on the Island. The markets at Iwo Road Ibadan are also dominated by the Igbos. After threats of expulsion from the North by the Arewa youths, we got to find out; they cannot leave the North because the Igbos has 44 trillion naira worth of investments in North. Interestingly, the Igbos needs us as much as we need them, which makes the ambition for Biafra toothless.

Looking at the restructuring narrative, which sounds more plausible, can be defined as a reorganization of a country with a view to achieving greater efficiency and management, or to holistically rearrange (not dismantle as some fear) a country. Concerning Nigeria, restructuring envisages state creation, power devolution, local government autonomy, rotational presidency, resource control and the type of legislature to operate amongst other cardinal components. Certainly, this can help alleviate the problems of marginalization but to my disbelief our politicians are using the ‘issue of restructuring’ to score political points, so much so President Buhari ‘s claim that “Nigeria’s unity is settled and not negotiable” has been seen as a faux pas. So it is not surprising that for every comment dropped about restructuring, there’s a political effect that follows. It’s like playing WHOT and Chess simultaneously. What’s exacerbating about this problem is that the view to achieve ‘greater efficiency’ might drown as the tides of politics waves on. However, the need for restructuring lies on the onus of our politicians.

Having said this, I now need to talk about economic development as a result of the Biafra and restructuring equation. My two cents on this is Biafra might not lead to economic development for the Igbos. The agitators should ask South Sudan if division from Sudan really helped. Restructuring on the other hand, will re-balance the duties of federal and state governments whereas powers will be devolved and every level of government will be strengthened and more accountable to her people which will bring economic development. Present states can leverage on the resources in their regions to create wealth. While state governments are challenged to look for sources of wealth creation primarily within their region, it will have productive ripple effects on their economy. Federal government moreover will be saddled with responsibilities that are essential such as foreign policy, defense and national economic policy etc.

It is on this premise, I would conclude that Biafrans should borrow a leaf from the originators of this popular quote “if you can’t beat them, join them” and join every faction irrespective of ethnical prejudice for their economic and political gain. It is also germane to know that restructuring is not the prerequis

Sources: http://www.mycybergist.com/2017/10/opinion-this-is-why-igbos-cannot-leave.html?m=1
Re: OPINION: This Is Why Igbos Cannot Leave Nigeria by Darachi(m): 9:20am On Oct 12, 2017
Good piece my brother.However you should understand that most Igbos prefer restructuring to breaking up.But most also see restructuring as impossible and that is why they jump on the train of Biafra.With python dance in the south east,most Igbos has lost faith in the central govt and cease to have no sense of belonging.Ask yourself,Who is actually happy with the state of things in Nigeria?The answer is nobody.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: This Is Why Igbos Cannot Leave Nigeria by ojlifa: 10:31am On Oct 12, 2017
Igbo talk as if other people are begging them to stay.the truth is nobody wants the igbo there problems are too much.what we are saying is go peacefully demand the deputy senate president to present a bill for referendum.simple

1 Like

Re: OPINION: This Is Why Igbos Cannot Leave Nigeria by unohbethel(m): 10:38am On Oct 12, 2017
nonsense thread..
u want to advocate for restructuring, so u demonize biafra..
tell me, why have u not get this restructureing u all are talking about?

1 Like

Re: OPINION: This Is Why Igbos Cannot Leave Nigeria by unohbethel(m): 10:40am On Oct 12, 2017
ojlifa:
Igbo talk as if other people are begging them to stay.the truth is nobody wants the igbo there problems are too much.what we are saying is go peacefully demand the deputy senate president to present a bill for referendum.simple
see mumu talk..tell me, u that wants restructuring..y havent u send a bill to una senate president?

1 Like

Re: OPINION: This Is Why Igbos Cannot Leave Nigeria by unohbethel(m): 10:43am On Oct 12, 2017
Darachi:
Good piece my brother.However you should understand that most Igbos prefer restructuring to breaking up.But most also see restructuring as impossible and that is why they jump on the train of Biafra.With python dance in the south east,most Igbos has lost faith in the central govt and cease to have no sense of belonging.Ask yourself,Who is actually happy with the state of things in Nigeria?The answer is nobody.

thats wat we are sayin..u really cant get restructure here
Re: OPINION: This Is Why Igbos Cannot Leave Nigeria by gidgiddy: 10:45am On Oct 12, 2017
The people who say 'forget Biafra and accept restructuring' dont know that Biafra has more chances than restructuring.

The North has said many times that they are willing to let Igbos go, even Arewa youths supported referendum for Igbos.

But rarely will you hear any Norrherner support restructuring. Restructuring will never happen
Re: OPINION: This Is Why Igbos Cannot Leave Nigeria by ojlifa: 12:51pm On Oct 12, 2017
You know a mad man thinks everybody is mad except himself.unfortunately when the majority think you are mad then you are most likely mad

unohbethel:

see mumu talk..tell me, u that wants restructuring..y havent u send a bill to una senate president?
Re: OPINION: This Is Why Igbos Cannot Leave Nigeria by unohbethel(m): 3:35pm On Oct 12, 2017
ojlifa:
You know a mad man thinks everybody is mad except himself.unfortunately when the majority think you are mad then you are most likely mad

ur punctuation is really terrible..i find it hard to read that junk..pls edit ur comment so that i can be able to understand it..if u like, make another mistake..mumu

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING:Despite Failed Concession LCC/LASG Increase Ikoyi Bridge/Admiralty Toll / ''APGA Has Done Very Well In Anambra''- APC National Publicity Secretary / Biafra: Buhari Won't Return Alive In His Visit To South East - IPOB Threatens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.