Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,263 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:26 AM

Engine Number Wahala - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Engine Number Wahala (4163 Views)

Where Is The Engine Number Of Toyota Matrix Located? / Engine Number Location / Engine Number Location Lexus RX330 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Engine Number Wahala by eagleeye2: 11:58am On Oct 12, 2017
I know a lot of car owners have had their car stopped and after all searchable, the NPF office on duty will comment "Your engine number is not correct " and argument and counter argument will follow.
My experience;
Police stopped me and asked for papers and after a while, the next thing was your engine number is not correct let's go to the station.
On reaching their station, they were like 1MZ was not added to the engine number. I tried in vain to tell them that the 1MZ is a type of engine and not really part of the engine number. The guy showed me one particulars with the 1MZ written together with the engine number. When I continued with my explanation it came to a point where I was asked to write statement. I no fit shout, the matter ended with me parting with some amount of money.
My question, is 1MZ really part of the engine number or is this another of their tactics to extort money from the road users?
Gazzuz
Siena
and other car gurus, please help out here.
Re: Engine Number Wahala by eagleeye2: 12:12pm On Oct 12, 2017
Please let's discuss this topic. Thank you.
Re: Engine Number Wahala by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:27pm On Oct 12, 2017
It should not be. But you are in nigeria, write everything you can see.
Re: Engine Number Wahala by honmusa(m): 1:04pm On Oct 12, 2017
The question should have rather be ,what is your own engine number when you check it on the engine bay cos is clearly written there .I am sure if you have taken that extra effort to confirm this ,even IG cannot take advantage of you .
Re: Engine Number Wahala by DaimlerBen(m): 1:09pm On Oct 12, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
I've not really investigated but, can't one identify the engine type & displacement from the number, same way VIN describes the year & country of production?
Re: Engine Number Wahala by eagleeye2: 1:16pm On Oct 12, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
Hmmmm. My papers will be due for renewal next month. I will be instructing them to add the 1MZ from now on. NPF, should educate themselves, and we the ordinary Nigerians are helpless in the face of their ignorance.
Re: Engine Number Wahala by eagleeye2: 1:18pm On Oct 12, 2017
honmusa:
The question should have rather be ,what is your own engine number when you check it on the engine bay cos is clearly written there .I am sure if you have taken that extra effort to confirm this ,even IG cannot take advantage of you .
The engine number was clearly written out. 1MZ was written on top, not with the engine number. Have been driving the said car a Toyota Avalon for 6 years now, never had this issue. But like Gazzuz said, this is Nigeria.
Re: Engine Number Wahala by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:48pm On Oct 12, 2017
DaimlerBen:

I've not really investigated but, can't one identify the engine type & displacement from the number, same way VIN describes the year & country of production?

Engine type and displacement can be gotten from VIN. Sadly NPF are not that technical.

To be fare to the NPF, a 2007 toyota corrola can come with 5 engine. Variants, 2NZ, 1ZZ, 4ZZ, 2ZR, 1ZR. The engine code does matter.
Re: Engine Number Wahala by Deprofessional(m): 2:40pm On Oct 12, 2017
ok
Re: Engine Number Wahala by eagleeye2: 3:29pm On Oct 12, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Engine type and displacement can be gotten from VIN. Sadly NPF are not that technical.

To be fare to the NPF, a 2007 toyota corrola can come with 5 engine. Variants, 2NZ, 1ZZ, 4ZZ, 2ZR, 1ZR. The engine code does matter.
I tried telling them that there are cats with 1MZ, 2MZ and the rest, but the officer just said "You want to teach me my job?", Ahhh. No sir. As I wanted to go on with explanation to someone who called me, the next thing was come and write statement, just put it down in paper all these things you have been saying.
Abeg NPF matter tire me.
Re: Engine Number Wahala by Deprofessional(m): 8:42pm On Oct 12, 2017
I saw this number inscribed on the engine of my 2001 Camry. 5S 6345790. Is there any other number or letter I should look out for b/4 registration.

Auto gurus please help.
Re: Engine Number Wahala by BestySam(m): 10:28pm On Oct 12, 2017
Lol police and there wahala. They delayed me one day because of Police Report. I had to pay 1k before I was freed.
Re: Engine Number Wahala by Deprofessional(m): 7:27am On Oct 13, 2017
[quote author=Deprofessional post=61362818]I saw this number inscribed on the engine of my 2001 Camry. 5S 6345790. Is there any other number or letter I should look out for b/4 registration.

Auto gurus please help.[/quote

GAZZUZZ and others, where una dey naw?
Re: Engine Number Wahala by timifakay(m): 8:56pm On Oct 13, 2017
The problem here is with the police not your car, so car gurus are in as much shock as you were when he told you.
Did you try showing him sticker where 1MZ is written on the bonnet?
Re: Engine Number Wahala by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:30pm On Oct 14, 2017
Deprofessional:
saw this number inscribed on the engine of my 2001 Camry. 5S 6345790. Is there any other number or letter I should look out for b/4 registration.

Auto gurus please help

thats all you need for safe passage wink
Re: Engine Number Wahala by Deprofessional(m): 6:54pm On Oct 14, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

thats all you need for safe passage wink

Thanks GAZZUZZ. car to be registered next week
Re: Engine Number Wahala by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:56pm On Oct 14, 2017
Deprofessional:

Thanks GAZZUZZ. car to be registered next week

Cc: pattybf
Re: Engine Number Wahala by DaimlerBen(m): 8:20pm On Oct 14, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Cc: pattybf
Disclaimer nko?
Re: Engine Number Wahala by pattybf(f): 8:39pm On Oct 14, 2017
DaimlerBen:

Disclaimer nko?

D boss has finished vexing!
Re: Engine Number Wahala by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:04pm On Oct 14, 2017
DaimlerBen:

Disclaimer nko?

nah cc I write grin
Re: Engine Number Wahala by eagleeye2: 5:22pm On Oct 19, 2017
@Gazzuzz,
Please advice.
Which will be okay, concerning this my Engine number Wahala... 1] Swear an Affidavit to the effect that 1MZ was omitted when writing down the Engine number the car's Particulars. Or,

...................2] Go to Vehicle licensing office and tell them to add 1MZ to it.
Re: Engine Number Wahala by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:57am On Oct 20, 2017
eagleeye2:
I know a lot of car owners have had their car stopped and after all searchable, the NPF office on duty will comment "Your engine number is not correct " and argument and counter argument will follow.
My experience;
Police stopped me and asked for papers and after a while, the next thing was your engine number is not correct let's go to the station.
On reaching their station, they were like 1MZ was not added to the engine number. I tried in vain to tell them that the 1MZ is a type of engine and not really part of the engine number. The guy showed me one particulars with the 1MZ written together with the engine number. When I continued with my explanation it came to a point where I was asked to write statement. I no fit shout, the matter ended with me parting with some amount of money.
My question, is 1MZ really part of the engine number or is this another of their tactics to extort money from the road users?
Gazzuz
Siena
and other car gurus, please help out here.

just to educate a bit

engine number is not necessary in vehicle documentation is especially for a used car eg a 4 year old and above the reason being engine can be charged in life time of a car, there before it would mean that every part you change that has engine number has to re-registered each time works are done on the engine. Which is waste of time and unnecessary up and down the relevent office to change such details, what matters to officials allover the world is the VIN number that one doesnt change no matter what you change, modification you do and which country you import and export to the VIN number remains the same

if a car is stolen, locally you report, reg number aka number plate, colour, make, model and VIN number and at border post etc the main thing you look for is the correct VIN number for the car why becoz number plate and colour can be changed so can be VIN number but VIN number plates can be checked if they have been tampered with not engine number

so this is what you teach your police officers on the road

1 Like

Re: Engine Number Wahala by eagleeye2: 6:52am On Oct 20, 2017
ZIMDRILL:

just to educate a bit

engine number is not necessary in vehicle documentation is especially for a used car eg a 4 year old and above the reason being engine can be charged in life time of a car, there before it would mean that every part you change that has engine number has to re-registered each time works are done on the engine. Which is waste of time and unnecessary up and down the relevent office to change such details, what matters to officials allover the world is the VIN number that one doesnt change no matter what you change, modification you do and which country you import and export to the VIN number remains the same

if a car is stolen, locally you report, reg number aka number plate, colour, make, model and VIN number and at border post etc the main thing you look for is the correct VIN number for the car why becoz number plate and colour can be changed so can be VIN number but VIN number plates can checked if they have been tampered with not engine number

so this is what you teach your police officers on the road

At your last sentence, tell me you are joking. You want a Nigerian, ordinary citizen to teach the Nigerian Police Force their Job?
Maybe you don't really live in Nigeria.
Re: Engine Number Wahala by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:11am On Oct 20, 2017
eagleeye2:
[/b]
At your last sentence, tell me you are joking. You want a Nigerian, ordinary citizen to teach the Nigerian Police Force their Job?

Zimwit no de nigeria wink
Re: Engine Number Wahala by Ishilove: 7:45am On Oct 20, 2017
ZIMDRILL:

just to educate a bit

What does 'DO' on the documents mean?
Re: Engine Number Wahala by eagleeye2: 8:10am On Oct 20, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Zimwit no de nigeria wink
Oga, abeg help your boy. Affidavit or go and change it at licencing office?
Re: Engine Number Wahala by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:28pm On Oct 20, 2017
eagleeye2:
[/b]

i dont live in nigeria and am non nigerian

but

you can always teach people its all about approach and how you speak to a person

them the police are taking advantage of you not knowing that a engine number is not necessary YES i dont know how the corrupt officers work on the road but here and there you alway teach them

being a police offer doesnt mean s/he knows everything
Re: Engine Number Wahala by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:30pm On Oct 20, 2017
Ishilove:

What does 'DO' on the documents mean?

sorry mate

i have know idea about the paperwork i was just speaking on general international rule on how to ID a car

(1) (Reply)

Breached Safety Issues At Filling Stations / Pls Can U Help Me With List Of Good Brake Pads And Brake Linning Brands. / Jaguar XJ8 2006- Fix Going On @ Multiautolab

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.