Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,724 members, 7,816,979 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:01 PM

Trollin' - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Trollin' (2442 Views)

Why Was Dhtml18 Banned Today On Sunday At That? For Trollin', Gdevit Or What? / DHTML Trollin' On Godaddy - Guys You Must Not Miss This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trollin' by dhtml71: 1:04pm On Oct 13, 2017
Re: Trollin' by melodyogonna(m): 1:20pm On Oct 13, 2017
what happened to dhtml81??
Re: Trollin' by dhtml71: 1:52pm On Oct 13, 2017
died
Re: Trollin' by Nobody: 2:29pm On Oct 13, 2017
dhtml71:
died
Lol this bro funny oh grin After your e-war your 81 decreased to 71? Nice having you here back sir.
Re: Trollin' by dhtml71: 2:58pm On Oct 13, 2017
The ID dey decrease, dey increase anyhow - e no dey obey the rules of programming.
Everyone just dey dry jare, no WAR anywhere, even frontpage sef dry.

I am building a node.js chat, the coding sef dey boring jare.
Re: Trollin' by TheOtherGeek(f): 6:43pm On Oct 13, 2017
dhtml71:
The ID dey decrease, dey increase anyhow - e no dey obey the rules of programming.
Everyone just dey dry jare, no WAR anywhere, even frontpage sef dry.

I am building a node.js chat, the coding sef dey boring jare.

Any challenge for me? I googled some stuff and got to this page and now I'm a member..
I'm into Machine Learning, A.I, A.R (for embedded systems) using C++, C#, J and I've done some stuff on Haskell.
I'm looking for some professional challenge on here when I'm off work and less busy.

Gracias.

1 Like

Re: Trollin' by dhtml71: 7:51pm On Oct 13, 2017
You are welcome, challenge eh. I am working on Amazon web server stuff too, trying to transcode some movies.
Re: Trollin' by TheOtherGeek(f): 8:07pm On Oct 13, 2017
That's nice, well done
Re: Trollin' by QueryUnical: 12:40pm On Oct 14, 2017
TheOtherGeek:
That's nice, well done

Would you be willing to help write a data structure given d specification?

1 Like

Re: Trollin' by TheOtherGeek(f): 11:17am On Oct 15, 2017
QueryUnical:

Would you be willing to help write a data structure given d specification?

Depends on what I'm doing right now. I'd be glad to help though, so give me more details...
What algorithm?
Merge sort, bubble sort, Huffman coding (greedy algorithm)... And what language?
My fingers could do with some little exercise.
Re: Trollin' by QueryUnical: 1:44pm On Oct 15, 2017
TheOtherGeek:

Depends on what I'm doing right now. I'd be glad to help though, so give me more details...
What algorithm?
Merge sort, bubble sort, Huftfman coding (greedy algorithm)... And what language?
My fingers could do with some little exercise.

I doubt if it any of the existing algorithm will be relevant. I think what I need is an absolutely new algorithm and an absolutely new data structure.

There is this word processing desktop app that I wrote. It uses data gotten from remote database over a nework in realtime. What I am experiencing is not 'real time' enough for me.In short, its processing time is too slow ,in my own opinion, to be called real time.

I am aware that is a bad idea for a word processor to run with data from remote database over a network because of users expect data in real time, but I believe I can crack this nut.

To be honest, I have not checked out all the existing algorithms yet because I am yet to fugure out the appropriate data structure. I think I really need to come up with an an entirely new algorithm and ADT.

Modified: I know moving away from a RDMS to a NoSQL database will help, but I
cant afford the time required for that move at this time.In case, you wondering what kind of data structure I am currently using, well at d moment I am using a set, list, and array (if I remember right), as for algorithm. I really did not deploy any. I did not see the need until now.

But if you know an algorithm and data structure that you think will meet my need kindly suggest them here an l'll check them out,but keep in mind that users must copy and paste in real time, type in real time scroll up and down in real time, carry out all normal word processing including image insertion, figures insertion, figures manipulation(like grouping,ordering, rotating,moving, edge and side extending etc) etc in real time.

And if you
must know my data are pointers to objects that model figures like rectangles, squares, textboxes and that hold information about their content,position, and orientation, font and colour in use and caret location which must all be updated and saved to database in realtime.
Re: Trollin' by TheOtherGeek(f): 2:33pm On Oct 15, 2017
QueryUnical:

I doubt if it any of the existing algorithm will be relevant. I think what I need is an absolutely new algorithm and an absolutely new data structure.

There is this word processing desktop app that I wrote. It uses data gotten from remote database over a nework in realtime. What I am experiencing is not 'real time' enough for me.In short, its processing time is too slow ,in my own opinion, to be called real time.

I am aware that is a bad idea for a word processor to run with data from remote database over a network because of users expect data in real time, but I believe I can crack this nut.

To be honest, I have not checked out all the existing algorithms yet because I am yet to fugure out the appropriate data structure. I think I really need to come up with an an entirely new algorithm and ADT.

Modified: I know moving away from a RDMS to a NoSQL database will help, but I
cant afford the time required for that move at this time.In case, you wondering what kind of data structure I am currently using, well at d moment I am using a set, list, and array (if I remember right), as for algorithm. I really did not deploy any. I did not see the need until now.
I've been in your shoes quite recently, funny enough I was working in a larger organization you all know (sorry names are private)..although we didn't make the mistake of starting with a relational database, of course it's a large team...but we did, however, make the mistake of inventing a new algorithm...

We later found out there was a more suitable algorithm that was well proven and tested, we had to switch we weren't much affected but deployment time was a little bit delayed.

Now, there are lots of algorithms out there for different use cases since Ada Lovelace's first Bernoulli numbers computing algorithm... Do your research first, you may need to outsource, you may need to spend it's what gives your product the mark of quality.. No man knows all my friend.

Concerning the slowness of your application... How is the remote data being fetched? I don't mean algorithm now but what tech? Are you using MySql remote connection or socket technology?
And also what language are you using..(I'm guessing C or VB)
Re: Trollin' by TheOtherGeek(f): 2:35pm On Oct 15, 2017
After reading your modified version of the post, I think you're using Java. Am I right?

Modded:
I think you're trying to do too much and the servers get stressed up... Things could stop working..

Why don't you fetch, store, edit and push back....must it be "realtime" can't the real time experience be simulated.?
Re: Trollin' by QueryUnical: 2:55pm On Oct 15, 2017
TheOtherGeek:

I've been in your shoes quite recently, funny enough I was working in a larger organization you all know (sorry names are private)..although we didn't make the mistake of starting with a relational database, of course it's a large team...but we did, however, make the mistake of inventing a new algorithm...

We later found out there was a more suitable algorithm that was well proven and tested, we had to switch we weren't much affected but deployment time was a little bit delayed.

Now, there are lots of algorithms out there for different use cases since Ada Lovelace's first Bernoulli numbers computing algorithm... Do your research first, you may need to outsource, you may need to spend it's what gives your product the mark of quality.. No man knows all my friend.

Concerning the slowness of your application... How is the remote data being fetched? I don't mean algorithm now but what tech? Are you using MySql remote connection or socket technology?
And also what language are you using..(I'm guessing C or VB)

The answer to ur question is some how complex.

First, the database can reside on the internet or an organisation network.

For the network, the app carries out socket connection to an installed server app requesting to save or receive data.
The server runs queries as neccessary to grant the client request. it returns success/failure status and requested data( if relevant) all in jason format.

Every request is sent in form of a numeral code along with associated data.
The server app simple retrieves d retrieves the numeral/ request code and passes it to a dll along with the entire data.The dll uses a switch statement to figure out the request type and call an appropriate functuon whose job is to grant the actual request.
The dll simply returns the return of value of the request executung function which is in jason format to.the client.

For the internet, the jason data is sent to a web service written in php which simply retrieves the request code and pass it and the entire jason data to the same dll which now exist as a php extension.
The client app and the dll is written in c++.

The database is mysql and I use c++ connector.
Re: Trollin' by QueryUnical: 3:07pm On Oct 15, 2017
TheOtherGeek:
After reading your modified version of the post, I think you're using Java. Am I right?

Modded:
I think you're trying to do too much and the servers get stressed up... Things could stop working..

Why don't you fetch, store, edit and push back....must it be "realtime" can't the real time experience be simulated.?

Please read my reply and respond appropriately.

Actually, I have a simulation version.
Each request successful request is saved to disk.Before making a remote connection, the client app tries to retrieve outcome of successful sumilar request from disk, if it finds none it then proceeds to make a remote connection.
The app only makes a remote connection for new request not- previously made request.
Re: Trollin' by QueryUnical: 3:11pm On Oct 15, 2017
TheOtherGeek:

Modded:

The problem is that for the internet connection users will be expected to access the database from different devices, web, mobile,etc.

If operation is not in real time, then some users will end up using outdated data.
Re: Trollin' by TheOtherGeek(f): 3:22pm On Oct 15, 2017
@queryunical it is indeed complex, and lol @ "Jason"

I could deduce that the app is kind of like a self hosted SaaS application..

For this kind of application, from what you told me...you can still get a scalable app that runs fast without switching database type. Have you tried the Slave - Master replication technique?
Even for a web app of a similar structure reading and writing into the same database could cause issues. But since you're talking realtime, that'll mean that some data won't be available for some "0.*" milliseconds... You could benefit from simulation in this case.

Apart from that, other problems seems to exist in the middleware...which boils down to "using the right algorithm". Give me a minimal code example of how the data is being sorted.
Re: Trollin' by QueryUnical: 3:24pm On Oct 15, 2017
TheOtherGeek:

Modded:

Considering my last post, do you think the application shldn't be in real time.

Actually, in line with my simulation scheme,I have the plan to make the webservice(it services all devices) to send notification of data insertion from a different device to the other devices via a socket connection to the device. But then, I will need to come up with a scheme that will determine what new data insertion is relevant to that particular logged in user.It is a multi-user app with which users can carry out various word processing action depending on the data that is relevant to them.
Re: Trollin' by TheOtherGeek(f): 3:26pm On Oct 15, 2017
QueryUnical:

Please read my reply and respond appropriately.

Actually, I have a simulation version.
Each request successful request is saved to disk.Before making a remote connection, the client app tries to retrieve outcome of successful sumilar request from disk, if it finds none it then proceeds to make a remote connection.
The app only makes a remote connection for new request not- previously made request.

This sounds like a better approach because you need to fetch data intelligently, imagine an organization like Glam using this internally.. This workflow could work out better.
Except in the scenario where multiple users are working on a document at the same time...is this the case?
Re: Trollin' by QueryUnical: 3:36pm On Oct 15, 2017
TheOtherGeek:
@queryunical it is indeed complex, and lol @ "Jason"

I could deduce that the app is kind of like a self hosted SaaS application..

For this kind of application, from what you told me...you can still get a scalable app that runs fast without switching database type. Have you tried the Slave - Master replication technique?
Even for a web app of a similar structure reading and writing into the same database could cause issues. But since you're talking realtime, that'll mean that some data won't be available for some "0.*" milliseconds... You could benefit from simulation in this case.

Apart from that, other problems seems to exist in the middleware...which boils down to "using the right algorithm". Give me a minimal code example of how the data is being sorted.

There is a central database that all devices that access the internet get data to via the singular webservice.
Re: Trollin' by TheOtherGeek(f): 3:42pm On Oct 15, 2017
QueryUnical:

Considering my last post, do you think the application shldn't be in real time.

Actually, in line with my simulation scheme,I have the plan to make the webservice(it services all devices) to send notification of data insertion from a different device to the other devices via a socket connection to the device. But then, I will need to come up with a scheme that will determine what new data insertion is relevant to that particular logged in user.It is a multi-user app with which users can carry out various word processing action depending on the data that is relevant to them.

Hmm, I have gone through all the posts properly now..and I must say, this is one hell of a software you're working on...(keep up the good work)

Now, let's take the popular blogging CMS app "WordPress" for example..

If you've used WordPress then you'd be familiar with the "non-clashing" method of working with content. WordPress creates what they call a "change set" and stores this change set in Json format. When another user tries to customize the theme, the current user's change set isn't affected... Instead a new changeset is created for the new user, hence the possibility of clashing is taken out. All done with WordPress, let's move on...
Now, you could benefit a great deal from this concept using the simulation process, but the only thing is you will need yours to be "notify-on-edit" rather than "non-clashing". I'd explain:

Notify-on-edit:
User A has a change set saved for a document he's working on, User B wants to work on the same document so a new change set is created for that same document notifying the user that another change set exists...the user can either wait or proceed editing the document.... There will be no clashing, remember you're using change sets now.... But when both users are done there'll be two versions of the document from two change sets... The end users are alerted and can "merge" both together.

Just see it as committing code to a repository.... Just the way git works, you'd also have to borrow some concepts..

I haven't tried this ever in my years of programming but if this works for you, you'll need to buy me a cup of coffee.
Re: Trollin' by QueryUnical: 3:42pm On Oct 15, 2017
TheOtherGeek:

This sounds like a better approach because you need to fetch data intelligently, imagine an organization like Glam using this internally.. This workflow could work out better.
Except in the scenario where multiple users are working on a document at the same time...is this the case?

No two users work on thesame document but two or more users can be working with the same data at the same time. One or more users can update that same data at any time they wish and that data update must be reflected in other devices.
Re: Trollin' by QueryUnical: 4:06pm On Oct 15, 2017
TheOtherGeek:

Hmm, I have gone through all the posts properly now..and I must say, this is one hell of a software you're working on...(keep up the good work)

If you've used WordPress then you'd be familiar with the "non-clashing" method of working with content. WordPress creates what they call a "change set" and stores this change set in Json format. When another user tries to customize the theme, the current user's change set isn't affected... Instead a new changeset is created for the new user, hence the possibility of clashing is taken out. All done with WordPress, let's move on...
Now, you could benefit a great deal from this concept using the simulation process, but the only thing is you will need yours to be "notify-on-edit" rather than "non-clashing". I'd explain:

Notify-on-edit:
User A has a change set saved for a document he's working on, User B wants to work on the same document so a new change set is created for that same document notifying the user that another change set exists...the user can either wait or proceed editing the document.... There will be no clashing, remember you're using change sets now.... But when both users are done there'll be two versions of the document from two change sets... The end users are alerted and can "merge" both together.

Just see it as committing code to a repository.... Just the way git works, you'd also have to borrow some concepts..

I haven't tried this ever in my years of programming but if this works for you, you'll need to buy me a cup of coffee.

Ok. This scheme must br what visual studio uses. I some times work on same document on mutiple lunches of visual studio. Once I switch to a new lunch, it tells me that data for the document has been changed from an external source and ask to know whether or not I wish to load the new data. I can say yes or no.

But, no this is not what I want, users are not to be bordered in any way.It is the application in the device that gets notified and that must take the approoriate actions.
Re: Trollin' by QueryUnical: 4:13pm On Oct 15, 2017
TheOtherGeek:

Notify-on-edit:

But a modification of the change set might be useful-for the applicationx, and not the user, to work on.
Re: Trollin' by TheOtherGeek(f): 4:27pm On Oct 15, 2017
@queryunical

I think you'd be breaking some software development principles by making the decisions yourself... But if you feel it's what you need, then go ahead but you will need a really well crafted algorithm to determine how many change sets exists, the size and also collect those change sets and notify application-x of the most recent change set. Sort of like an internal pull request if you're familiar with Git.

Do, create a fresh thread for this topic so other professionals/enthusiasts could hop in as our discussions are getting interesting.
Re: Trollin' by QueryUnical: 4:41pm On Oct 15, 2017
TheOtherGeek:

If you've used WordPress then you'd be familiar with the "non-clashing" method of working with content. WordPress creates what they call a "change set" and stores this change set in Json format. When another user tries to customize the theme, the icurrent user's change set isn't affected... Instead a new changeset is created for the new user, hence the possibility of clashing is taken out. All done with WordPress, let's move on...

Notify-on-edit:

Ok. I think I will attempt to use a modified version. of this ur suggestion, if it works, dn you'll have coffe on me.

Got to go now. I so much appreciate your suggestion. Thanks a log.

Bye for now.

P.S.
If a better idea ever occurs to you don't hesitate to let me know.

By d way I saw you laugh over my use of the word Jason in place of Json.Well, I had to neccssarily form d habit becaude d dll I mentioned above use the function JadonEncode and JasonDecode. This usage is delebetate.PHP has the functions JsonEncode and JsonDecode.I had to use a different name since the webservice use those php native version.Remember my dll is now also a php extension. That means php now also has access to it.

Now you understand why I had to form d habit of using jason instead of json.

So, really, as u can now see it not really to bad a habit as it might initially appear to u.

It was quite nice chatting with you. So now I formally welcome you to nairaland Mrs.(Miss) TheOtherGeek.: "Welcome to nairaland" .I'm out.

1 Like

Re: Trollin' by QueryUnical: 4:49pm On Oct 15, 2017
TheOtherGeek:
@queryunical

I think you'd be breaking some software development principles by making the decisions yourself... But if you feel it's what you need, then go ahead but you will need a really well crafted algorithm to determine how many change sets exists, the size and also collect those change sets and notify application-x of the most recent change set. Sort of like an internal pull request if you're familiar with Git.

Do, create a fresh thread for this topic so other professionals/enthusiasts could hop in as our discussions are getting interesting.

Too bad. I had to re-pop in.Just this post now. I think you suggestion is good. the only thing I have to exclude is user notification and use application notification and that is for goo reasons.

Remember that anither device possibly located on d other side of theglobe
Re: Trollin' by TheOtherGeek(f): 4:54pm On Oct 15, 2017
QueryUnical:

Ok. I think I will attempt to use a modified version. of this ur suggestion, if it works, dn you'll have coffe on me.

Got to go now. I so much appreciate your suggestion. Thanks a log.

Bye for now.

P.S.
If a better idea ever occurs to you don't hesitate to let me know.

By d way I saw you laugh over my use of the word Jason in place of Json.Well, I had to neccssarily form d habit becaude d dll I mentioned above use the function JadonEncode and JasonDecode. This usage is delebetate.PHP has the functions JsonEncode and JsonDecode.I had to use a different name since the webservice use those php native version.Remember my dll is now also a php extension. That means php now also has access to it.

Now you understand why I had to form d habit of using jason instead of json.

So, really, as u can now see it not really to bad a habit as it might initially appear to u.

It was quite nice chatting with you. So now I formally welcome you to nairaland Mrs.(Miss) TheOtherGeek.: "Welcome to nairaland" .I'm out.

Hmm, that's actually interesting @"Jason"...
I'm a miss though, got to go too, bye.
Re: Trollin' by QueryUnical: 5:02pm On Oct 15, 2017
TheOtherGeek:
@queryunical

Too bad. I had to re-pop in.Just this post now. I think you suggestion is good. the only thing I have to exclude is user notification and use application notification and that is for goo reasons.

Remember that anither device possibly located on d other side of the globe had updated data and the update has been committed to database. If any user uses an data set, his document become invalid. Users have no choice but to use new and up to date data in other to ensure their document is valid.

I will create a new thread if and only if your suggestion fails. And I dont see aby reason why it should.

Ok. I am finally out.

I'll mention you when next I visit nairaland. I am still online studyg and researching. Have got a timed assignment that I must take to night. If I dont study and research hard enough for it I may end up submitting a poor solution.

Would love to continue the conversation but wisdom demand that I leave now.
Ciao!
Re: Trollin' by QueryUnical: 10:09am On Oct 19, 2017
TheOtherGeek:

Hmm, that's actually interesting @"Jason"...
I'm a miss though, got to go too, bye.

Do kindly mention me when next u come visiting nairaland.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Thread For Those Who Got Accepted Into Decagon Software Engineering Program / . / Database Administrator: Which Languages To Learn?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.