Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:20 PM

How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today (30308 Views)

Peter Obi Encouraged Me To Start Producing Suvs / How Nairaland Changed My Life..special Thanks To Victor101. / What Recommended Business On Nairaland Has Worked For You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by Nobody: 2:59pm On Oct 16, 2017
OldBeer:
So you are not benefitting while serving your father's land?

benefiting from what exactly ? Which country u dey sef, is like you don't the situation in this country currently

1 Like

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by realmindz: 3:05pm On Oct 16, 2017
Jiang:

Yes true, if you plan to stay in Nigerian & be a government worker. otherwise that cert is useless as a piece of paper just like unspent money

Who told you it's all about government job alone. and who told you government jobs aren't good, talking of working in places like Dpr, Nnpc, Nlng etc...
Even working with multinationals in Nigeria like shell, Mobil, kpmg, Banks...
Applying to some scholarships require that you have fulfilled your one year mandatory service...
And why will you advise anyone to limit themselves from these opportunities.? is that a good advice?

There is nothing you can do in Nigeria with your BSc certificate without having an NYSC, do you know that?

You think it's everyone that has the resources to leave the country and get established. If you are fortunate enough to do that, congrats to you but many less privledged people have become successful by exploring the opportunities they have here in Nigeria.
Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by Nobody: 3:22pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ymodulus:

Accept it or not in Nigeria's businesses of today tribalism is now a very key factor in growth.

A key example is the Aviation sector, Also the supermarket Giants, like of Sahad store by Mai Kanti, Next Cash Carry by Peter Obi, Nadrem Supermarket and likes. In this business from their banking partners down to logistics is now determined by tribe.

So bro it's essential use it to your favour.
Sahad store is owned by Ibrahim Mijinyawa. Mind you he started just like this guy with one small canteen In our area. While I believe with you with that he should strive to be innovative in order to stand out, but sometimes you need more than innovation but God grace or should I say opportunity and a time since you are an atheist

5 Likes

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by Nobody: 3:23pm On Oct 16, 2017
papiforreal:

Sahad store is owned by Ibrahim Mijinyawa. Mind you he started just like this guy with one small canteen In our area. While I believe with you that he should strive to be innovative in order to stand out, but sometimes you need more than innovation but God grace or should I say opportunity and a timing since you are an atheist
Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by Jointhemiltons2(m): 3:31pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ymodulus:

The mistakes we all do today is we still believe in start small and go big. Some of these quotes now are outdated.

It should be start big and go bigger.

He can never go to the likes of Gucci and Zara in that manner. If I will take him serious to the likes of Gucci and Zara then I expect him creating a single shoe, launching seminar, detailed explanation of how the shoe came about, why we should pay so much for it etc.

Standards when high becomes a low after time and are built on. Here he has failed to create such.

Standards starts from the beginning.

Thanks
Most times people talk with the aim of making sense buh end up not mkn sense.
Starting big will only incur unnecessary loss and frustration. Start small,build ur client base,improve on ur quality y growing bigger. That's the rule of a successful business.
Educate yourself

5 Likes

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by Nobody: 3:32pm On Oct 16, 2017
realmindz:

Who told you it's all about government job alone. and who told you government jobs aren't good, talking of working in places like Dpr, Nnpc, Nlng etc...
Even working with multinationals in Nigeria like shell, Mobil, kpmg, Banks...
Applying to some scholarships require that you have fulfilled your one year mandatory service...
And why will you advise anyone to limit themselves from these opportunities.? is that a good advice?

There is nothing you can do in Nigeria with your BSc certificate without having an NYSC, do you know that?

You think it's everyone that has the resources to leave the country and get established. If you are fortunate enough to do that, congrats to you but many less privledged people have become successful by exploring the opportunities they have here in Nigeria.

undecided yoyo, just relax, I only said NYSC cert is useless outside Nigeria or if you plan to be an entrepreneur. WHICH IS THE TRUTH, I ain't limiting nobody. and those nlng, nnpc, etc you mentioned only provide employment easily to d son's of d rich & elite. The real people who suffer through NYSC hardly smell those jobs UNLESS God himself intervene plus extraordinary hard work & luck from the applicant. for example

DO YOU KNOW THAT CBN & NNPC are still recruiting people even as we type dis. but no advert whatsoever, cause its for the elites & those with Godfathers

2 Likes

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by okonri(m): 3:32pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ymodulus:

The mistakes we all do today is we still believe in start small and go big. Some of these quotes now are outdated.

It should be start big and go bigger.

He can never go to the likes of Gucci and Zara in that manner. If I will take him serious to the likes of Gucci and Zara then I expect him creating a single shoe, launching seminar, detailed explanation of how the shoe came about, why we should pay so much for it etc.

Standards when high becomes a low after time and are built on. Here he has failed to create such.

Standards starts from the beginning.

Thanks

I beg to differ.
The proper dictum is "start from somewhere". It's neither start small nor start big. We can't all start big, and waiting to start big is the actual dream killer.
The young man can only be limited by his level of ambition. There is nothing stopping him from floating several of the same stores in other parts of the city or other cities as revenue begins coming. There is nothing stopping him from marketing his business name as a shoe-store brand. That's how McDonalds and many franchises started -from somewhere, whether small or big.
And finally, there's nothing stopping him from owning his own automated shoe factories when he saves up or attracts enough capital, or when Nigeria wakes up to its power and other infrastructural provision responsibilities.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by smilingface(m): 3:41pm On Oct 16, 2017
op this is great achievement coming from you,from the picture I can truly see that there is a woman behind every successful man...keep up the good work and may armed robbers never locate your shop.

5 Likes

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by nenergy(m): 3:42pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ymodulus:
Sad truth is this is not a business. Business of this likes do not prompt growth. They kill innovation and growth and eventually death.

Am sorry bro. But in all congratulations
I don't know how you came about this conclusion. As long as there's demand, there will be business and eventually growth. I know a graduate who dumped his certificate and sells footware in Lagos. He has built a mini flat and expanded his shop in just 5 years.

1 Like

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by somehow: 3:53pm On Oct 16, 2017
Meaning he should think of how to connect with all local coblers, get them to design and make some certain style of shoes to his own taste, then pay them and showcase in his shop. Open a website too and have an online store. Reach out to farther customers, promote his own brand while using locally sourced labor/materials.
Ymodulus:

This business is akin to a day to day kiosk where one opens a mini store and claims he owns a business.

In business of these nature, people will only be happy for you on the first week and second week after then you begin to questions investment and slow pace of sale and on going.

Business of these nature do not spur growth they kill growth and innovation.

I expected O.P to add more to his ideas and promote it. A business where you can't give a projected estimate of where you did be in a certain period of time is not a business.

There are several ways he can reform his business still based on the shoes but now a different idea entirely.

What the O.P just did in all honesty is create another Shop on the streets without solving a problem.....

Some time two months ago while I was at a summit outside the country, a man said Nigerians have tons of entrepreneurs but they all lack one thing.- The ability to tell you what the problem their business are addressing.

If the O.P can state problem is business is addressing and work on this well he can succeed well.

Oh some might say capital is needed. Capital shouldn't be a problem, the idea is.

Thanks
Also work towards supplying other shoe stores both within the state and outside. Give his footwares a name. With time, employ coblers and pay them directly while deciding the kind of wares they make. Entreprenuerahip is solving a problem.. Just my own view on this because I believe you don't need a degree to do what he is currently doing which is trading to me, he's yet to create anything.

6 Likes

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by sunnygid: 4:04pm On Oct 16, 2017
modelmike7:
This is one of the beauty of Nairaland.
This is just so inspiring.
This is just the beginning of your success my guy!
Thumbs up to 'we' entrepreneurs in the buiding.
God bless our hustles.

Where are you based?
Getting some Xmas and New years sneakers from you man!!
Lux Astoria Footwears, here I come!

Congrats! Good idea. Entrepreneurship is the best.
Well if u Are a Salary Earner living in lagos? U need to start ur business even from little. Are u in need of quick loan/ Urgent loan/ Salary advance/ pay-day loan/ soft loan up to 1M without collateral! Call Ayo (KWIKPAY) on 08085676742, 08157803244, Disbursement within 24hrs. info@kwikpaycredit.com, credit@kwikpaycredit.com
Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by Ignyte(m): 4:18pm On Oct 16, 2017
computerboy:
Starting is the hardest bro... Congratulations

But don't stop here, look further.... You can start making your own shoes. Zara started like this

OP Listen to this guy.
Look up @Oscarsshoes and @mozeapparel on instagram; Make shoes with them and sell. Or train under them and make yours

2 Likes

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by Ymodulus: 4:25pm On Oct 16, 2017
Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by Ymodulus: 4:25pm On Oct 16, 2017
ElSherriff:
Mr. Phoool, (The bible says this of atheist, sorry),

Who takes the Bible serious?

A book where snakes were talking, men sleeping around on sanctions action from pseudo god, god is jealous of others, where virginsvjust magically conceive? etc

You mean the Bible whose initial version was written by a gay? King James?

Your stupid Bible that glorifies a bastard call Jesus Christ. Pls oreach the Bible to your sheeple believers not me. Cause you hit the wrong turn, and if you are so vexed with my opinions. They are strictly mine and mine alone.

4 Likes

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by ElSherriff: 4:30pm On Oct 16, 2017
Yeah the yam business Legend took the bait and veered right off course! Gotchaaa,
You see, you not legendary, you just an ordinary upcoming business man like the dude who posted his startup and you had to run him down cos you felt like masturbating in the corridors of irrelevance and cyber bullying.
Guess what, he will learn, build a big business and someday share his successes cos we wish him well unlike you doomsayer.
I thought you were a phoool with some watery business concepts, now I dont think so, I know you a phoool who likes the attention and show off. I didnt buy it, I never will!!!

Ymodulus:

A book where snakes were talking, men sleeping around on sanctions action from pseudo god, god is jealous of others, where virginsvjust magically conceive? etc

Your stupid Bible that glorifies a bastard call Jesus Christ. Pls Wouter the Bible to your sheeple believers not me. Cause you hit the wrong turn, and if you are so vexed with my opinions. They are strictly mine and mine alone.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by ugonology(m): 4:52pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ymodulus:

Your stupid Bible that glorifies a bastard call Jesus Christ. Pls oreach the Bible to your sheeple believers not me. Cause you hit the wrong turn, and if you are so vexed with my opinions. They are strictly mine and mine alone.

Mr Ymodulus....i have always respected views, but with this convulsive utterance of yours, i must say am highly dissapointed

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by genearts(m): 5:00pm On Oct 16, 2017
Guy, where is your store located

1 Like

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by Nobody: 5:02pm On Oct 16, 2017
Not bad.
Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by PrinceMario(m): 5:35pm On Oct 16, 2017
Singapore1:

truth hurts...

the types of business he is doing gives no room for innovation, however i disagree with the idea of not starting small...
i had an idea around last year and i approached a lot of investors ... they were afraid to invest in it.. it was when i started with the little i had and they saw the profit ..that was when they all rushed in ( though it was temporary business )

talking about innovation ..
he can't improve in this type of business except to expand his shop and buy more shoes ..that's all ... but this type of business doesn't have room for innovation
Boss cheesy
Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by Spaxon(f): 5:38pm On Oct 16, 2017
You will make it

1 Like

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by AntiWailer: 5:40pm On Oct 16, 2017
pedrilo:
u don't know wat u r talking abt.
As a business educator, i can tell u that this young man is on the right path.
Everyone must nt be an inventor to qualify as entrepreneur!
I know a lot of wholesalers and retailers that are very successful, apple, Gucci, Zara and other world brands do not have to open shops in all nooks and cranies, they leave that space for investors like this young man, who inturn brings some kind of value addition to the products like after sales services. Bcareful how u kill a dream in ur attempt to appear as intelligent, cos u know nothing about the world of economic activities.

Business educator arguing with a business man with investment worth tens of millions if not a hundred already.

Calm down and get YModulus' point. You will learn.

You are just here shouting Gucci prada and killed the whole discussion with opening shops every where.

Nobody does that again.

He should register on Konga, Jumia, deals dey and other ecommerce site.

He should open with multiple accounts and compare sales there with shop sales.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by imustsaymymindo: 5:59pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ymodulus:

This business is akin to a day to day kiosk where one opens a mini store and claims he owns a business.

In business of these nature, people will only be happy for you on the first week and second week after then you begin to questions investment and slow pace of sale and on going.

I expected O.P to add more to his ideas and promote it. A business where you can't give a projected estimate of where you did be in a certain period of time is not a business.

There are several ways he can reform his business still based on the shoes but now a different idea entirely.

What the O.P just did in all honesty is create another Shop on the streets without solving a problem.....

Some time two months ago while I was at a summit outside the country, a man said Nigerians have tons of entrepreneurs but they all lack one thing.- The ability to tell you what the problem their business are addressing.

If the O.P can state problem is business is addressing and work on this well he can succeed well.

Oh some might say capital is needed. Capital shouldn't be a problem, the idea is.

Thanks

Beautiful piece.

But how do you conclude he is not solving a problem or does not have something different to offer? With OP's writeup and pictures?
Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by imustsaymymindo: 6:04pm On Oct 16, 2017
okonri:

I beg to differ.
The proper dictum is "start from somewhere". It's neither start small nor start big. We can't all start big, and waiting to start big is the actual dream killer.
The young man can only be limited by his level of ambition. There is nothing stopping him from floating several of the same stores in other parts of the city or other cities as revenue begins coming. There is nothing stopping him from marketing his business name as a shoe-store brand. That's how McDonalds and many franchises started -from somewhere, whether small or big.
And finally, there's nothing stopping him from owning his own automated shoe factories when he saves up or attracts enough capital, or when Nigeria wakes up to its power and other infrastructural provision responsibilities.

Even with what he has, he can automate his sales, delivery and even administration. As a retailer he is now, it would build him if he decides to move into ahoe production later on.

1 Like

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by OldBeer: 6:05pm On Oct 16, 2017
somehow:
Meaning he should think of how to connect with all local coblers, get them to design and make some certain style of shoes to his own taste, then pay them and showcase in his shop. Open a website too and have an online store. Reach out to farther customers, promote his own brand while using locally sourced labor/materials.
Also work towards supplying other shoe stores both within the state and outside. Give his footwares a name. With time, employ coblers and pay them directly while deciding the kind of wares they make. Entreprenuerahip is solving a problem.. Just my own view on this because I believe you don't need a degree to do what he is currently doing which is trading to me, he's yet to create anything.
With this summation, we can safely end this thread.
You just said it all.
Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by imustsaymymindo: 6:12pm On Oct 16, 2017
somehow:

He has created something. The online cobbler and branding idea you gave too is also saturated. Check online and research.

Being different does not neccessarily mean being distinct with branding, you can be different with how you go about your business operations, your customer service experience etc and that you can not judge with just seeing pictures of OP's business.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by Smartlife(m): 6:12pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ymodulus:

Thanks

Do you think this one is importing tomato from ghana and selling in Nigeria, buying watch from alibaba Or buying yam from jos and selling to lagos. Then you travel, come to nairaland to show us your visa and passport and you call your self king of business. Let me tell you something, a jack of all trades is a master of none. In this present Nigeria you have to give this young guy a credit. Everyone started from somewhere and in the future he can make a name. You are not his God but you succeeded to make him feel he is making the worst mistake of his life. sad

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by freshkik(m): 6:16pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ymodulus:

bro, be careful what you say, showing negative emotions shows u as a weak person, an igbo guy insulted you , you took it out on all igbos by using that "5%" ish.... then someone insults you n made reference to the Bible and you followed your gutter pattern n insult everything bout xtianity n Christians as a whole, .....you always sound educated n intelligent (i have been following you since I first noticed your thread more than a year ago)..... but today you simply proved otherwise.....because im 100% sure you can't say those stuffs in the south in front of xtian extremists or similar stuff bout Mohammed in front of moslem extremists

...and concerning the topic,

***1st of all Mr ymodulus this is called a BUSINESS, infact an occupation self can be called a business (i took the pain to munch a definition of business for you)

*** 2ndly i understand the points you were tryna make they were good points, but the context/approach you made was what was wrong, you acted as if u knew 100% the guy ll continue selling shoes for the next 5- 10 years.
sounding like he was a failure.

***3.) there is nothing wrong in disagreeing with someones opinion, but there is a way to go bout it especially a newbie that wont sound discouraging, but what you did there was a straight up attack...if that guy is someone that has been following your thread and you were one of the ppl he got motivation from here, do you know how discouraging your mssgs esp the 1st one ll sound?

4.)**** i have read your 'business' threads in the past...the tomatoes business, the keke napep, indomie kiosk, bitcoin, transport, election keyholders et al ......pls can you tell us how this is different from what the OP is doing?? ok lets say tommorow you start producing, processing and distributing a product , wont money you made from these other stuffs be part of it?? and if u successful, wont your success story include those part??

5)**** some peeps in here gave you example of people that even started smaller than this Op n now are making products that you prolly have used, heck! EVEN ONE OF THE EXAMPLES OF SUCCESSFUL BUSINESSES YOU STATED, someone here even told you that the owner actually started in a small store in his area... But you chosed to ignore all that .

6)**** you all talk bout big businesses and stuffs, n all the seminars and stuff but, do you really believe you have exhibited the character those top business guys exhibit in public?? ...... google, facebook, apple etc etc , have you ever since their executive exhibit your kinda behaviour, .....they put in alot to celebrate whatever festival, moslem, chinese. new year, christmas, easter et al, some even do extra more, bt imagine what your typing.................. NOW IMAGINE IF A BIG WORLDCLASS CORPORATION WANNA DO BUSINESS WITH YOU IN THE FUTURE AND IT'S EVEN HEADED BY A MOSLEM or athiest (that secretly dont like christians sef) THEN THIS YOUR WRITE POPS UP IN THE MEDIA, AND ALOT OF CHRISTIAN CUSTOMERS WORLDWIDE ARE ANGRY...... MR YMODULUS DO YOU REALLY THINK THE COMPANY WILL GO AGAINST THEIR CUSTOMERS WISH AND CARRY ON DOING BUSINESS WITH YOU?

......like i said i have read some of your threads and your businesses has inspired many, and you gat a promising future ahead ....but dont let pride bring you down.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by PeacenLove2: 6:20pm On Oct 16, 2017
Congrats, OP. More grease to your elbows. Well done!

3 Likes

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by PeacenLove2: 6:23pm On Oct 16, 2017
Smartlife:

Do you think this one is importing tomato from ghana and selling in Nigeria, buying watch from alibaba Or buying yam from jos and selling to lagos. Then you travel, come to nairaland to show us your visa and passport and you call your self king of business. Let me tell you something, a jack of all trades is a master of none. In this present Nigeria you have to give this young guy a credit. Everyone started from somewhere and in the future he can make a name. You are not his God but you succeeded to make him feel he is making the worst mistake of his life. sad

Success to everyone doesn't even mean the same thing. While some are very happy just having enough to get by without having to beg for daily bread, some are after building mansions on the ocean. People who seek moderate lives aren't necessary unambitious. Let's just give each other a break. This life is not forever.

4 Likes

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by somehow: 6:26pm On Oct 16, 2017
No, he hasn't, he doesn't have a design peculiar to him, until then, he's currently trading which is not a bad idea but not the best idea.

I am currently working on creating something peculiar to me, not easy but the end result should be worth it.

Many can trade but few can invent/create.
imustsaymymindo:

He has created something. The online cobbler and branding idea you gave too is also saturated. Check online and research.

Being different does not neccessarily mean being distinct with branding, you can be different with how you go about your business operations, your customer service experience etc and that you can not judge with just seeing pictures of OP's business.

2 Likes

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by potiglo: 6:38pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ymodulus:
Sad truth is this is not a business. Business of this likes do not prompt growth. They kill innovation and growth and eventually death.

Am sorry bro. But in all congratulations
You are a fool for writing this ..infact you do not know what innovation means...people like you die poor...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Business Can I Start With 4,000 Naira? / Nigeria’s Largest Electronic Manufacturing, Assembly Plant Launched / 16 moments those depositing money in the bank can Relate To. (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.