Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,489 members, 7,823,135 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today (30362 Views)

Peter Obi Encouraged Me To Start Producing Suvs / How Nairaland Changed My Life..special Thanks To Victor101. / What Recommended Business On Nairaland Has Worked For You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by CioAngels(f): 7:03pm On Oct 16, 2017
Great success await you my child, may His grace be on you always. Amen.

3 Likes

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by Fingerprinter(m): 7:14pm On Oct 16, 2017
majekdom2:
investors barely invest in startup businesses that do not have traction i.e users or paying customers- revenue. Yes, he has a brand, he can have his own e commerce store or sell on other e commerce stores. He can start producing footwears. Innovation does not necessarily equals growth but improvement will always equal growth.
You were the only one that said something sensible here. All the other guys were just stating the problem and the solution without the exact 'how' of the solution.
I think you are a wise man.

2 Likes

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by KingsleyBJ(m): 7:48pm On Oct 16, 2017
andersyn:
More photos
Congratulations man. This is just the beginning for you. Contact me if you need a brand logo for your new businese by the way, i am a graphic designer.

2 Likes

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by Ezionye(f): 7:59pm On Oct 16, 2017
OldBeer:
See the way I am lapping up Ymodulus' words.
Thank you.

I am still feeling dizzy after reading his comments o.

Can you please in another language, summarize what he means?

Maybe pidgin

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by Opengates(m): 8:24pm On Oct 16, 2017
Great keep it up

1 Like

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by Nobody: 9:28pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ymodulus:

The mistakes we all do today is we still believe in start small and go big. Some of these quotes now are outdated.

It should be start big and go bigger.

He can never go to the likes of Gucci and Zara in that manner. If I will take him serious to the likes of Gucci and Zara then I expect him creating a single shoe, launching seminar, detailed explanation of how the shoe came about, why we should pay so much for it etc.

Standards when high becomes a low after time and are built on. Here he has failed to create such.

Standards starts from the beginning.

Thanks
good evening sir. I have something am working on, a gadgets website. As positive as i feel about it i still have some doubts. Many players have been in this game for years, the likes of gsmarena, phonearena, cnet, engadget, etc. I have what it takes (my love for gadgets and my ability to provide extra information that are necessary which some of these websites lack). However, i still have my doubts, maybe am not threading in the right part. I tot i would kick start this website early this year but here i am, not without some improvements though but certain things keep discouraging me. Recently, i lost all the money i have saved up for this venture and it has killed my spirit to some extent. Usually, when things like this happen, i see them as a bad sign. Have you had any of such experience? Do you think am threading the right part? Do you have any idea how i can improve this venture to take over the likes of gsmarena. Am still extremely determined to do this but i need some guidiance and assurance that i am threading the right part.
Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by generationz(f): 9:34pm On Oct 16, 2017
majekdom2:
you think he is doing good because he posts fine pictures. This is a bad compliment! Let him post his papers and figures over the next year, then you commend him.

I believe he can learn more about papers and figures as the business goes on.

This is Nigeria, the system isn't very favorable for the "start big " mentality especially for a young graduate like him.

Please let's separate reality from what holds sway only on paper

I think his story is still very inspiring considering there are still many undergraduates here in Nigeria who are still waiting for government to give them jobs after leaving school for years, instead just starting something and building from there

Depending on his tenacity to succeed and CREATIVITY with time, he can then decide to stop following crowd of just selling any footware and create his own brand which I believe that's what YMODULUS was talking about

with time the innovative and creative spirit will separate the men from the boys.
Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by QuestSeeker: 10:00pm On Oct 16, 2017
The young man called Ymodulus did not exhibit any sense of decorum in his response to the op.

Pray what makes sourcing for tomato from Cameroon a better business model than what this young man just started.

Even if Mark Zuckerberg were to critique this young man's business he would never have tagged it a failure. And the reason is that no business is destined for failure at startup. What kills the business is the lack of competitive advantage or failure to exploit one where it exists.

That said, op always remember that
Business = Sourcing/ Procurement + Production + Warehousing + Marketing/ Sales + Delivery + After Sales Service

In any or all of the subsystems in the right hand side of the equation, you can develop your competitive advantage and transform your business to world-class. There is hardly any business that has not been explored by forerunners but you can always find better ways of doing things.

For instance you can source for nicely designed sandals from relatively unknown makers and brand it while passing on some savings to your customers.

You can develop your competitive advantage in sales/ marketing by making better use of sales funnel and channels than your competitors.

There are several ways to achieve your ultimate goal!

If anyone had said that 'selling friendship' could make anyone a billionaire in dollars, several people would have scoffed at the idea years back!

But ask yourself, "what does Mark Zuckerberg sell'? Even though it may not be obvious to you but he is only selling friendship!

Wish you all the best. And you can always reach out to me or anyone here on the forum to help you with business ideas such as developing your business plans and any other business advisory needs you may have on your way to the top.

See you at the top. May God bless your hustle!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by Nobody: 10:01pm On Oct 16, 2017
generationz:

[b]

[/b]This is Nigeria, the system isn't very favorable for the "start big " mentality especially for a young graduate like him.

I think his story is still very inspiring considering there are still many undergraduates here in Nigeria who are still waiting for government to give them jobs after leaving school for years, instead just starting something and building from there

Depending on his tenacity to succeed and CREATIVITY with time, he can then decide to stop following crowd of just selling any footware and create his own brand which I believe that's what YMODULUS was talking about

with time the innovative and creative spirit will separate the men from the boys.
the bolded is doom for any business. You failed to understand my point. I commended him just as you did in the second paragraph and my post was to the young man that said he is doing well. He just started, telling him is doing well is not in anyway encouraging him. He needs to set targets and forecast his revenue and profits, that's what I mean by figures. If you don't have figures to work with, your business will crash as you won't be able to measure your success. Atimes, you won't know if you are spending your capital. Read through my posts on this thread and you will understand where I am coming from.
Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by Nobody: 10:26pm On Oct 16, 2017
generationz:

This is Nigeria, the system isn't very favorable for the "start big " mentality especially for a young graduate like him.

generationz:

Smartlife:

Do you think this one is importing tomato from ghana and selling in Nigeria, buying watch from alibaba Or buying yam from jos and selling to lagos. Then you travel, come to nairaland to show us your visa and passport and you call your self king of business. Let me tell you something, a jack of all trades is a master of none. In this present Nigeria you have to give this young guy a credit. Everyone started from somewhere and in the future he can make a name. You are not his God but you succeeded to make him feel he is making the worst mistake of his life. sad
if the OP meets Dangote and many business men. They will tell him exactly what the Y modulus guy is saying. No business man gives you a 100 percent because you open a store. They will tell you good and then use different strokes on you. When you show them your balance sheets and books after like 6 months, they will can either give you the comment you want to hear or tell you to stop the business. Business is about customers and revenues. What problem are you solving that will make customers want you? Are your shoes cheaper, is the location solving logistics problem, why would an ordinary person like me leave my customer and come patronise you. e.t.c. it's not about the fine shop or the quantities of shop. Businesses like this start every other day, the only inspiring thing will be how he is able to scale up. There was a young man who made a thread on how he scaled up his small shop business to a large store the other day, now that's inspiration. This is more of " how I got engaged story" rather than " I became successful story". If bill didn't get successful, I am not sure people will care about how he started microsoft same with every other business you hear of today!

2 Likes

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by Nobody: 10:33pm On Oct 16, 2017
2shure:
sneakers look vietnam They are mostly clones Mostly chinesse some r aba local/home If u nor check if na real D moment u pay No return policy I culd owm a tight corner In hamburger By ring roAd selling fakes Packaging na packaging i can do whatever it takes
Money on ma mind Im selling sneakers ma self No boy boy No gal gAl. I issue purchase recipts ma self
bloody Benin dude
Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by sshalom(m): 11:18pm On Oct 16, 2017
andersyn:
Hello Nairalanders

With a joyful heart, I write to you today. I am a young architect from Edo state who graduated 2015 but still awaiting service in the NYSC. I have made some money working as an architect even while in School. I graduated September 11 2015 but still no service as at July 2017. I became very confused on what to to. I love business but I didn't want to venture into it and then only to be called to service.

I was confused on what to do. I visit nairaland everyday and it just happened that some motivational topics about business kept on hitting the front page that period, saying that it is never too early to start up. I became inspired after reading this particular article https://www.nairaland.com/3860484/5-habits-kill-entrepreneurial-dream it really inspired me.

So I started my search online on sneakers, pams and sandals. I wanted to go into footwear sales as this kind of shop will be unique in a town with so many boutique stores but no footwear shop. I started downloading images of different sneakers and identifying myself with them. After enough research online. I decided to get more educated about business so I traveled to see a friend from edo who now lives in kaduna. My motive of visiting was to see how business was over there and to learn everything I could. To cut the story short, I had my mind completely made up when one day I saw a man selling mangoes under a tree. He was so happy and I thought to myself, '' if this man can start from selling mangoes, then who I'm i to say I don't have enough to set up a business. I came back home and began my search for a vacant shop. I couldn't get one on the ground floor so I took a spot upstairs. It was a new building so I tiled te floor, painted and made some shoe shelves.

I'd like to show you pictures of the development of my shop and encourage youths that whatever capital you have, it is not too small to start up, remember that some people are doing business with less than you have. Please moderators should help edit this post and also encourage young ones out there, please help out this on front page.

Welcome to Lux Astoria Footwears

Well done and may GOD prosper it.

1 Like

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by wman(m): 11:26am On Oct 17, 2017
Wow!

How much better could a Nairaland thread be?
No childish comment, no derailing, no tribalism.
I really learnt a lot on this thread.
A lot of other people who went through will be blessed after reading this.
Well done to all the contributors. You might have varying views but we learnt from everyone of you.

3 Likes

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by stokfrick: 9:09pm On Oct 17, 2017
pedrilo:
u don't know wat u r talking abt.
As a business educator, i can tell u that this young man is on the right path.
Everyone must nt be an inventor to qualify as entrepreneur!
I know a lot of wholesalers and retailers that are very successful, apple, Gucci, Zara and other world brands do not have to open shops in all nooks and cranies, they leave that space for investors like this young man, who inturn brings some kind of value addition to the products like after sales services. Bcareful how u kill a dream in ur attempt to appear as intelligent, cos u know nothing about the world of economic activities.

Walahi I love nairaland! Its one of the best things that happened to me in life.
One topic dissected from different angles with reckless abandon! Kai! cheesy
Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by concho(m): 1:58am On Oct 18, 2017
Hmmmmm ........ You already have a girl behind you. issorite
Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by Bibi294(f): 4:10am On Oct 18, 2017
andersyn:
Hello Nairalanders

With a joyful heart, I write to you today. I am a young architect from Edo state who graduated 2015 but still awaiting service in the NYSC. I have made some money working as an architect even while in School. I graduated September 11 2015 but still no service as at July 2017. I became very confused on what to to. I love business but I didn't want to venture into it and then only to be called to service.

I was confused on what to do. I visit nairaland everyday and it just happened that some motivational topics about business kept on hitting the front page that period, saying that it is never too early to start up. I became inspired after reading this particular article https://www.nairaland.com/3860484/5-habits-kill-entrepreneurial-dream it really inspired me.

So I started my search online on sneakers, pams and sandals. I wanted to go into footwear sales as this kind of shop will be unique in a town with so many boutique stores but no footwear shop. I started downloading images of different sneakers and identifying myself with them. After enough research online. I decided to get more educated about business so I traveled to see a friend from edo who now lives in kaduna. My motive of visiting was to see how business was over there and to learn everything I could. To cut the story short, I had my mind completely made up when one day I saw a man selling mangoes under a tree. He was so happy and I thought to myself, '' if this man can start from selling mangoes, then who I'm i to say I don't have enough to set up a business. I came back home and began my search for a vacant shop. I couldn't get one on the ground floor so I took a spot upstairs. It was a new building so I tiled te floor, painted and made some shoe shelves.

I'd like to show you pictures of the development of my shop and encourage youths that whatever capital you have, it is not too small to start up, remember that some people are doing business with less than you have. Please moderators should help edit this post and also encourage young ones out there, please help out this on front page.

Welcome to Lux Astoria Footwears
congrats dear

1 Like

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by adeife16(m): 9:07pm On Oct 18, 2017
Ymodulus:
Sad truth is this is not a business. Business of this likes do not prompt growth. They kill innovation and growth and eventually death.

Am sorry bro. But in all congratulations
if its not a business then what is it
Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by willyede(m): 5:55am On Oct 20, 2017
ElSherriff:
Yeah the yam business Legend took the bait and veered right off course! Gotchaaa,
You see, you not legendary, you just an ordinary upcoming business man like the dude who posted his startup and you had to run him down cos you felt like masturbating in the corridors of irrelevance and cyber bullying.
Guess what, he will learn, build a big business and someday share his successes cos we wish him well unlike you doomsayer.
I thought you were a phoool with some watery business concepts, now I dont think so, I know you a phoool who likes the attention and show off. I didnt buy it, I never will!!!

Fact that folks are lapping advice from this dude is amazing this is someone that almost committed suicide...o me....o my never thought a day will come when I will see this he just likes attention. He wanted to flaunt that he went abroad for business seminar....you can start from anything the first step in life is the first step...... The op will definitely evolve into other niche

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by karlboss: 6:58am On Oct 20, 2017
There is a difference between doing business. Being an entrepreneur and being an investor.

Ymodulus the guy is doing business and in business there is a billion and one to innovate. Even someone selling akarA can innovate. Wetin concern Nike and apple but they came together to form Nike plus. Something great can come out of that shop.

Being an entrepreneur is a different ball game. I guess that is what you are talking about. Most entrepreneur consider changing the status quo in their innovation before creating a business.

Being a business man and an entrepreneur are two different things

1 Like

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by Gamboh55(m): 5:49pm On Oct 24, 2017
Ymodulus:
Sad truth is this is not a business. Business of this likes do not prompt growth. They kill innovation and growth and eventually death.

Mai gida kwana biyu. Dan allah send me a PM. Sent last week but no reply yet and ur email is not delivering. Na gode
Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by AutoReportNG: 12:03pm On Oct 27, 2017
Ymodulus:

This business is akin to a day to day kiosk where one opens a mini store and claims he owns a business.

In business of these nature, people will only be happy for you on the first week and second week after then you begin to questions investment and slow pace of sale and on going.

Business of these nature do not spur growth they kill growth and innovation.

I expected O.P to add more to his ideas and promote it. A business where you can't give a projected estimate of where you did be in a certain period of time is not a business.

There are several ways he can reform his business still based on the shoes but now a different idea entirely.

What the O.P just did in all honesty is create another Shop on the streets without solving a problem.....

Some time two months ago while I was at a summit outside the country, a man said Nigerians have tons of entrepreneurs but they all lack one thing.- The ability to tell you what the problem their business are addressing.

If the O.P can state problem is business is addressing and work on this well he can succeed well.

Oh some might say capital is needed. Capital shouldn't be a problem, the idea is.

Thanks

Bitter truth, but its well said. Good day Young
Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by robotix: 5:38pm On Nov 04, 2017
Ymodulus:

Thanks
Hey bro, I need your expertise on something based on your past experienced. I would prefer to discuss this privately. I had wanted to create a thread on it but wasn't sure if I could get better response. Let me know when you see this. Well, I am just hiding behind this moniker... we have chatted a lot when you were on BBM. I even told you about my ear infection problem back then.. I bet you know who this is now; so please respond. I don't mind calling and if you can't help out, I believe there are persons in your network that can help sort this out
Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by godfadanonny: 8:57am On Nov 10, 2017
My own opinion is this. Basically the OP has spent some capital to setup. Now he will sell and make profit in bits. This might look good but also can be doom. Because u need to learn the act of saving to be able to survive and not loose your capital. This is what causes stagnation and because you ve spent your capital u cant really do much but stay stagnant.
Now someone pointed out how the tomatoe biz ymodulus did was similar to dis... Well it is not d same as he didnt go to get a shop n start selling. He invested when there was an unusual gain to be made n moved on. Now not everyone will follow that tow.
My advise to OP is to bear in mind that sales n savings are of upmost importance in this type of business. Most Igbo businessmen took years to learn this act from their boss......so think of ways to boost your sales and keep ur records straight. Also if you cant boost sales then dont waste time to liquidate n move on to something else. The most imp thing is you actually started your own business and i must congratulate u on that...

2 Likes

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by bignero: 1:57pm On Nov 27, 2017
AutoReportNG:

Bitter truth, but its well said. Good day Young

shame on you and all those Ymodulus supporters

you all are bandwagon people and need to have a mind of your own...

their various ways to start out in business..create a new niche/value which modulus mentioned..this requires capital, a lot of energy etc

latch unto an already existing succesful idea and grow from there..but a beginner wanting to act out zara etc is pure foolishness...but because its ymoduls view blockheads like you are wanking over it, when it makes no sense...was zara the first to open boutiques etc..didnt he work for years under some one...and you what are your blog posts doing all over nairaland mr value creator

pepsi as a brand steped up to compete with coke as the only beverage giant...today what are talking about? if pepsi coughs coke will sneeze

4 Likes

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by fulfilled2016: 5:12pm On Dec 24, 2017
Ymodulus raised valid points, of which some are very true, but his mode of expression was poor; so discouraging, he could have expressed the message much better, especially to a newbie businessman like the OP.

But he is completely wrong to have said 'you start big', that's a recipe for chances, and possibly a recipe for failure if things go south.

To the OP, thank yourself for getting at least one criticism, this criticism should make you go back to the drawing board, restrategize and truly innovate how you deliver value (your stock) to customers.

Ensure you work more on ecommerce/online sales and marketing much more than offline sales coming from your shop. Establish yourself as a brand online to get quality footwears. The online market is 100 times bigger than the sales that could come from people (and likely customers) strolling down the streets where your shop is located.

At least his criticism has opened up new ideas of how you can scale and even go bigger from here, better than you just have everybody praising you with Sweet comments on the thread. I'm sired you must have learned already. Go Guy......Success is very much possible.
Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by abimbawealth(f): 10:32pm On Jan 17, 2018
Ymodulus:

I need to reach you, please
Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jan 17, 2018
God bless you sir
Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by Nobody: 11:17pm On Jan 17, 2018
godfadanonny:
My own opinion is this. Basically the OP has spent some capital to setup. Now he will sell and make profit in bits. This might look good but also can be doom. Because u need to learn the act of saving to be able to survive and not loose your capital. This is what causes stagnation and because you ve spent your .
you say the truth bro
It took me years to be
Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jan 17, 2018
andersyn:
Hello Nairalanders

With a joyful heart, I write to you today. I am a young architect from Edo state who graduated 2015 but still awaiting service in the NYSC. I have made some money working as an architect even while in School. I graduated September 11 2015 but still no
my brother if the place you buy don't favour you I guess you try my location
But mostly is ladies shoes

1 Like

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by andersyn: 4:58pm On Jan 18, 2018
Thanks all for all your comment

1 Like

Re: How Nairaland Has Encouraged Me To Own A Business Today by eezeribe(m): 5:27pm On Jan 18, 2018
bignero:

shame on you and all those Ymodulus supporters

you all are bandwagon people and need to have a mind of your own...

their various ways to start out in business..create a new niche/value which modulus mentioned..this requires capital, a lot of energy etc

latch unto an already existing succesful idea and grow from there..but a beginner wanting to act out zara etc is pure foolishness...but because its ymoduls view blockheads like you are wanking over it, when it makes no sense...was zara the first to open boutiques etc..didnt he work for years under some one...and you what are your blog posts doing all over nairaland mr value creator

pepsi as a brand steped up to compete with coke as the only beverage giant...today what are talking about? if pepsi coughs coke will sneeze

Don't mind those guys,their so called online businesses and blogs cannot survive without nairaland...
Innovators kọ... Innoson ni...

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria / Polaris Bank's Notice Of Cashless Policy Implementation / Polaris Bank Reacts To Accusations Of Religious Intolerance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.