Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,109 members, 7,814,892 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:14 PM

Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme (2243 Views)

Senate Excludes Amaechi's Name For Screening / U.S. Excludes Nigeria From Africa’s Democracy Summit / Inec Releases Names Of Candidates For Bayelsa Guber Election, Excludes Pdp? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by Nobody: 5:50am On Mar 12, 2010
The Senate on Thursday declared that only democratically elected former Presidents would be entitled to retirement benefits.

The Senate spoke after a bill for the remuneration of former Presidents, Heads of State, Heads of Federal Legislative Houses and Chief Justices of the Federation was passed.

The bill was read a second time on the floor of the Senate on Wednesday, May 27, 2009.Its thrust is essentially to amend Decree 32 of 1999 and ensure that only democratically elected former Presidents are entitled to benefit from the entitlements and benefits enumerated in the schedule of the bill.

With this, all former military dictators including, Generals Ibrahim Babangida, Sani Abacha, Yakubu Gowon and Mohammadu Buhari are excluded from enjoying such benefits.

President of the Senate, Mr. David Mark, said the passage of the bill should send a strong message to those aspiring to capture power through undemocratic means.

According to him, “This (passage of the bill) is to discourage other ways of getting into power through unconstitutional means.
“The only way recognised by the constitution is through the ballot box and not the barrel of the gun. ”

He noted that the passage of the bill should serve as a warning to those who nursed the ambition of getting political offices through undemocratic means because it was no longer fashionable.

Earlier, the Chairman of the Senate Committee on National Planning, Economic Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, Senator Zainab Kure, had presented a report on the bill.She noted that, “The bill was one out of several passed by the last Senate and transmitted to former President Olusegun Obasanjo for assent; unfortunately, the President, for some reasons, could not give his assent to the bill before the expiration of the tenure of the last administration. ”The bill reads in part, “Former presidents includes the offices of President, Prime Minister and Heads of Government of the Federation, Vice-President, President of the Senate, Speaker of the House of Representatives, Chief Justice, Deputy Senate President and Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

“Any person who has held two or more public offices shall be entitled to only the benefits accruing under this act to the highest of those offices which he has held in order of national precedence.

“Members of the families of deceased former Presidents and Vice-Presidents shall also be entitled to annual payments as shall be recommended by the Revenue Mobilisation,Allocation and Fiscal Commission and approved by the National Assembly.

“The remuneration is also to cover the up-keep of the spouse and children of deceased former Presidents and Vice-Presidents, and the education of the children up to the university level or its equivalent. ”During the debate, senators argued that former military heads of state should not benefit from the remuneration package because they came to power through a breach of Section 1(1) of the 1999
Constitution.

Senator Olorunimbe Mamora (AC, Lagos East)in his contribution said including ex-military rulers in the package would amount to encouraging truncation of democracy.

He said, “We should not be seen to be encouraging anything that will undermine democracy, we should add ‘elected’ in the clause.”

Senate President, David Mark insisted that the clause as contained in the bill which recognised former Presidents and Heads of State, was in line with the constitution and did not require further emphasis by inclusion of the word ‘elected.’

The bill also states, “That persons who were removed from any of the offices referred to in this Act through the process of impeachment or were compelled to relinquish such offices for breach of any of the provisions of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria were not to benefit from the gesture of the bill.”

It further states, “Be it enacted by the National Assembly of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as follows:Remuneration of former Presidents, etc
As from the commencement of this Act, all former:

a) Presidents of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (in this Act referred to as “Former Presidents” shall be–(i) Paid such amount as shall be recommended from time to time by the Revenue Mobilisation, Allocation and Fiscal Commission and approved by the National Assembly as up-keep allowance in addition to the pension entitlement under Section 84(5) of the 1999 Constitution; and (ii) Entitled to the perquisites of office as shall be recommended by the Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and Fiscal Commission from time to time for approval by the National Assembly.

b) Vice-Presidents of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (in this Act referred to as “former Vice- Presidents”) shall be paid such amount as shall be
recommended from time to time by the Revenue Mobilisation, Allocation and Fiscal Commission and approved by the Senate as up-keep allowance in addition to the pension entitlement under the 1999 Constitution.

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201003122141368
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by Gbawe: 6:20am On Mar 12, 2010
Entirely logical move that is long overdue.
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by jaybee3(m): 7:07am On Mar 12, 2010
nice nice, does dat mean they get compensated via the back door especially knowing how things work in naija?
dem peeps don't need the dosh nyways cos they have already siphoned nuff to last another generation
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by aieromon(m): 7:13am On Mar 12, 2010
Pleaseee undecided
That money will get to them in another form.
Guys,what are you doin' about the FOI bill?That's what we want.When we get that,let's see how you'll pass the money under the table to these militos.
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by sun4sure: 8:06am On Mar 12, 2010
thank god our policy markers are beginning to open to reality, these demons have stolen allot ;inshort, they are the cause of our nation's backwardness and suffering.i believe god is happy with this decision where ever he is, nigeria democracy:these are the sure way(s) forward.
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by otukpo(f): 8:32am On Mar 12, 2010
Good move.
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by ebor(m): 8:45am On Mar 12, 2010
interesting
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by slap1(m): 8:48am On Mar 12, 2010
Paramount bills gather dust and are eventually killed while the trivial ones get express attention. Of what use will this be to the generality of Nigerians. The 'saved' money is already lost.
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by beeke(m): 9:34am On Mar 12, 2010
sun4sure:

thank god our policy markers are beginning to open to reality, these demons have stolen allot ;inshort, they are the cause of our nation's backwardness and suffering.i believe god is happy with this decision where ever he is, nigeria democracy:these are the sure way(s) forward.

Can u just give me one reason why your god will be happy, sometimes i lack words to express how sad i feel when 9gerians celebrate mediocrity a bill dat got absolutely noting to do with the welfare of the hungry masses of 9ja, after 4 or 8 years of looting billions of naira awarding contract to themselves without doing a thing, take OBJ as a case study

OBJ wokeup one day and decided that 9ja should have NATIONAL IDENTIFICATION CARD billions of naira was approved for this project we all know wot happened up until now the dishonorable thieving moneybag members of NA neva ask any questions and the claim to represent you and i

OBJ pump in billions in the energy sector without any tangible result to show for it

how about our road network from 1999 to 2003 OBJ spent billions on roads rehab and networking but we all know how deplorable our roads are, our health sector is a grave yard dat why if any of the ITT sneezes twice he or she is on the next available flight to europe for medical attention look at our education a country were noting is working instead of making laws for the masses they are busy making laws that will enable them to loot and loot and continue looting, after reaping us off we still be paying them retirement benefit what a shame, nigerians are still deep in slumber. one thing i know is that my God is not happy and neither is he sleeping becos a change will take place in that nation called 9geria God himself will master mind that change and when it happens our politicians will only have one thing in their minds FEAR
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by sirt1(m): 11:28am On Mar 12, 2010
beeke:

Can u just give me one reason why your god will be happy, sometimes i lack words to express how sad i feel when 9gerians celebrate mediocrity a bill dat got absolutely noting to do with the welfare of the hungry masses of 9ja, after 4 or 8 years of looting billions of naira awarding contract to themselves without doing a thing, take OBJ as a case study

OBJ wokeup one day and decided that 9ja should have NATIONAL IDENTIFICATION CARD billions of naira was approved for this project we all know wot happened up until now the dishonorable thieving moneybag members of NA neva ask any questions and the claim to represent you and i

OBJ pump in billions in the energy sector without any tangible result to show for it

how about our road network from 1999 to 2003 OBJ spent billions on roads rehab and networking but we all know how deplorable our roads are, our health sector is a grave yard dat why if any of the ITT sneezes twice he or she is on the next available flight to europe for medical attention look at our education a country were noting is working instead of making laws for the masses they are busy making laws that will enable them to loot and loot and continue looting, after reaping us off we still be paying them retirement benefit what a shame, nigerians are still deep in slumber. one thing i know is that my God is not happy and neither is he sleeping becos a change will take place in that nation called 9geria God himself will master mind that change and when it happens our politicians will only have one thing in their minds FEAR

@ beeke

May God bless u for hat response. At least we av pple that can reason like human beings and not otherwise. At times, i wonder how pple think. What benefit does the bill has on the common man in the streets? Whether millitary or "selected" president, what av they done to this country that warrant retirement benefit from tax payers money?
Surely, my own God is not happy with this pple ( Legislators ) and will not be happy with them untill they av the interest of the masses at heart.

slap1:

Paramount bills gather dust and are eventually killed while the trivial ones get express attention. Of what use will this be to the generality of Nigerians. The 'saved' money is already lost.

@ Slap1

Can u imagine? FOI bill was with them for years and nothing come out of it. Now they are passing retirement benefits for the looters. Can u see how stupid they are. Honestly, these bunch of craps will not know peace in their lifes.
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by omofat: 11:50am On Mar 12, 2010
sir t:

@ beeke

May God bless u for hat response. At least we av pple that can reason like human beings and not otherwise. At times, i wonder how pple think. What benefit does the bill has on the common man in the streets? Whether millitary or "selected" president, what av they done to this country that warrant retirement benefit from tax payers money?
Surely, my own God is not happy with this pple ( Legislators ) and will not be happy with them untill they av the interest of the masses at heart.

@ Slap1

Can u imagine? FOI bill was with them for years and nothing come out of it. Now they are passing retirement benefits for the looters. Can u see how silly they are. Honestly, these bunch of craps will not know peace in their lifes.

You are right, they should be doing more for nigerians in general.

You are wrong. This change is a positive outcome to this particular issue. Former presidents receive pension payments. It only makes sense and is only logical that it should be narrowed down to legitimate presidents.

Please continue fighting for the common man, complain, shout, protest, do all you can. We will get there eventually. Small small
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by desgiezd(m): 11:57am On Mar 12, 2010
What do they need pension scheme for having embezzled billions of dollars that they would never exhaust in their lifetime?
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by omofat: 12:05pm On Mar 12, 2010
desgiezd:

What do they need pension scheme for having embezzled billions of dollars that they would never exhaust in their lifetime?

Guy, we know on this issue you are right - they are all thieves (loosely speaking) - that is for us to change how our society works and ensure that we dont get charlatans and crooks in power.

But the general principle that past presidents should receive some form of pay stands. What this particular bill is about is simply that it should be legitimate, elected presidents who get it and not heads of military juntas.

Lets not confuse issues or get into emotional arguments. The whole system needs to be fixed but small small. Lets celebrate our little victories, so we can continue fighting the war.
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by Nescoemmy(m): 12:12pm On Mar 12, 2010
good decision,but if they acquire power undemocratically they will automatically get more than enough of the said benefits
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by Gbawe: 12:14pm On Mar 12, 2010
omo~fat:

Guy, we know on this issue you are right - they are all thieves (loosely speaking) - that is for us to change how our society works and ensure that we dont get charlatans and crooks in power.

But the general principle that past presidents should receive some form of pay stands. What this particular bill is about is simply that it should be legitimate, elected presidents who get it and not heads of military juntas.

Lets not confuse issues or get into emotional arguments. The whole system needs to be fixed but small small. Lets celebrate our little victories, so we can continue fighting the war.

Great overall perspective. Our senators and politicians need to do far more but let us congratulate them on occasions when they get it right. If we speak as if everyone and everything connected with Nigeria is hopeless then the spirit of despondency, doom and gloom  becomes pervasive and entrenched. Nigerians would be surprised what the NASS can achieve under vibrant and inspired leadership.
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by mrperfect(m): 12:17pm On Mar 12, 2010
Do they really need this pension?
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by mrtidy(m): 12:38pm On Mar 12, 2010
beeke:

Beeke bro you just said it all.
Its so disheartening the level of mediocrity rocking this country and the leaders are actually aware, else how would a so called president or even govnor travel over 500km to commision a .5km road tarred with the worst materials!!!!! and of course we hail that as an achievement and even call some of them VISI :oNARIES!!!
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by ebogentle(m): 1:32pm On Mar 12, 2010
I dont get it. I thought the first thing any junta does when they come to power is suspend the so-called constitution.
At any rate, i think what has been done right now is to tell would-be military rulers that they had better maximize that opportunity to the fullest while in office.
I wonder who ever thought our past leaders even needed any pension. Even the interest generated by their loot is many times more than what legally giving or denying them. sad
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by princekevo(m): 2:26pm On Mar 12, 2010
President of the Senate, Mr. David Mark, said the passage of the bill should send a strong message to those aspiring to capture power through undemocratic means.

According to him, “This (passage of the bill) is to discourage other ways of getting into power through unconstitutional means.
“The only way recognised by the constitution is through the ballot box and not the barrel of the gun. ”

He noted that the passage of the bill should serve as a warning to those who nursed the ambition of getting political offices through undemocratic means because it was no longer fashionable.

Lol. Is this not funny? How much are we gonna pay someone like Babagida or in the person of Abacha if he were to be alive. This will in no way discourage the kaki boys at all. if they eventually get into power they will loot the country dry until we won't even have enough to finance the next democratic government. The only thing we can do to discourage them is to avoid anything that would bring them back into power, which transperency peace and good governance is the top most.
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by ucnduka(f): 2:29pm On Mar 12, 2010
ebogentle:

I wonder who ever thought our past leaders even needed any pension. Even the interest generated by their loot is many times more than what legally giving or denying them. sad

My thoughts exactly, imagine giving pension to a thief that's stolen enough. Finally, NASS seems to be waking up.
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by ud4u: 2:34pm On Mar 12, 2010
Divide the national cake
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by ud4u: 2:40pm On Mar 12, 2010
Divide the national cake
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by omofat: 2:48pm On Mar 12, 2010
uc nduka:

My thoughts exactly, imagine giving pension to a thief that's stolen enough. Finally, NASS seems to be waking up.

Nigerians! - We are such a cynical bunch - which isn't really our fault because we've had our hopes raised and dashed repeatedly by those who were supposed to look out for us. So in some ways, our cynicism is justified.

I know because of our experiences, we now automatically expect everyone to loot and steal.

However, imagine just for one moment (just allow yourself to dream for a few seconds), just imagine one day, we got a president who didn't steal, misallocate funds, etc., and who simply lived on his federal salary and benefits of office. Shouldn't there be some constitutional provision for such a one to enjoy a pension?

I know I will be castigated here as naive and much worse, But you guy are letting emotions control your arguments.

Legitimate presidents of the country deserve pension.

Making sure that legitimate presidents dont steal, cheat, loot, etc is a different argument. Dont mix issues please.
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by Nobody: 5:54pm On Mar 12, 2010
I don't think it went far enough, they should have gone as far as banning ex-coupist from running for election. This is not about the value of the money but the significance of this policy. These coupists should stop parading themselves as Statesmen and thats the implication of having a punitive measure for their past actions.

I also question the inclusion of Abdussalam Abubakar in that list. While he was a Military leader, he was not a coupist and yet he kept his promise to return Nigeria to multi-party democracy. I do not think its fair to give him the same status as IBB, Buhari, Abacha.
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by Fhemmmy: 6:38pm On Mar 12, 2010
Good idea
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by Nobody: 6:52pm On Mar 12, 2010
When are those idiots going to sit on a pension scheme for the average Nigerian?
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by akigbemaru: 7:59pm On Mar 12, 2010
mikeansy:

I also question the inclusion of Abdussalam Abubakar in that list. While he was a Military leader, he was not a coupist and yet he kept his promise to return Nigeria to multi-party democracy. I do not think its fair to give him the same status as IBB, Buhari, Abacha.

Bro, you make sense right here. Any law that stipulates giving benefits to Shonekan must acknowledge Abdussalam Abubakar. Abubakar is not a coupist he just exploited the means just like titular Shonekan. The bills are blatantly flawed with the exclusion of Abubakar.
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by Eziachi: 8:29pm On Mar 12, 2010
Why stop at just pension, what about constitutional ban on holding any sort of public office if you have ever been part of military rule either in kharki uniform or agbada?
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by Nobody: 8:40pm On Mar 12, 2010
akigbemaru:

Bro, you make sense right here. Any law that stipulates giving benefits to Shonekan must acknowledge Abdussalam Abubakar. Abubakar is not a coupist he just exploited the means just like titular Shonekan. The bills are blatantly flawed with the exclusion of Abubakar.

Somebody need to raise this issue with the Senate. They need to review Abdussalam's status. The man obviously may not need the money but I don't think this was ever about the money for any of them. Its about their records and how we wish to remember them.

Abdussalam is not in the category of Gowon, IBB, Buhari.

What we should be purnishing them for is being coupist not being Soldiers or Generals. The inclusion of Abdussalam confuses the issue as to mean they are being purnished for being ex-Millitary heads of state. NO!!!! Its about rejection of power grab through violent means.

I also think for the likes of Buhari, Gowon, IBB . . . .they should be bared from contesting the Presidency.
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by netotse(m): 9:18pm On Mar 12, 2010
ebogentle:

I dont get it. I thought the first thing any junta does when they come to power is suspend the so-called constitution.
At any rate, i think what has been done right now is to tell would-be military rulers that they had better maximize that opportunity to the fullest while in office.
my thoughts exactly
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by slap1(m): 7:15am On Mar 13, 2010
To tink dat our destiny are in the hands of some fools who have no grasp of their own destiny is mind-boggling, to say the least. IBB must be rotflamaoing and loling at us.
Re: Senate Excludes Military Rulers From New Presidential Pension Scheme by rasputinn(m): 8:04am On Mar 13, 2010
Are they just waking up to the reality that including those that raped our democracy in presidential pensions is tantamount to tacitly approving of their coup d etats??

(1) (2) (Reply)

Watch M K O Abiola And Tofa Insult Tom Ikimi nPresidential Debate(Videos of Awo) / Mugabe Interview / Ex-Senate President Writes Obasanjo, Blasts Ex-President Over Letter To Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.