Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,445 members, 7,819,646 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:50 PM

Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos (7024 Views)

Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist / Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image / Nnamdi Kanu: Yorubas Confess. 60% Real Estate In Lagos Owned By Igbos. Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Michael004: 5:13pm On Oct 16, 2017
Una no dey tired
Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by TheKingdom: 5:23pm On Oct 16, 2017
Can the OP tell us the origin of the name Nigeria and who coined it?

I bet it wasn't someone who looks like you.

And yet you answer it till date

Are you not a shame? Are you not an average Nigger for that?
Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by FisifunKododada: 5:39pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ibos and lies....

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by FisifunKododada: 5:41pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ibos and lies...When we tell them Olaudua (Ola + Odua) is a bonafide Edo man the say we are afonja

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 5:48pm On Oct 16, 2017
bakynes:

Mumu cancelling Wikipedia's account of Oladuah Equiano's testament of where he came from, where is your source not just stupid guess work of Eboe meaning Ibo.

Any idiot can edit Wikipedia. It's not an academic source.
Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by FisifunKododada: 5:48pm On Oct 16, 2017
ezenwajosh:

Ikwuano is an Igbo surname....I have two friends with the surname same way Oprah Winfrey name was changed.....they pronounced and call it Oprah while it's okpara....today Onicha ado is now spelled Onitsha ado to separate him from his brothers Onicha ugbo and Onicha urun....which they carved into the region now called south south....

Iboes and lies...

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by FisifunKododada: 5:52pm On Oct 16, 2017
Throwback:
I first got introduced to the topic of Olaudah Equiano when I watched a BBC documentary about him being from present day Nigeria. That was in year 2001/2002.

I immediately got the encyclopeadia brittanica volume that had his name alphabet and read up on him.

It is stated there that he was from a village near Benin.

Where the Igbo connection came up from is unknown to me.

To be objective, the Igbos have provided strong claims to show why he might be theirs, but does his autobiography state that his village is an Igbo village?

Also, can the Etsako/Benin relate to the cultural description he gave about his childhood and the society of his birth?

When you try to tell them (Ibos) they will just start insulting you...

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 5:57pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

Mgbeke = a girl born on Eke day

Okeke / Okereke = a boy born on Eke day

Over time, Mgbeke turned to insult.

That is the dynamism of culture for you.

With the power vested in me, I now crown thee, GIFTQ, DEFENDER OF THE TRIBE!!

2 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 6:03pm On Oct 16, 2017
Arondizuogu:

With the power vested in me, I now crown thee, GIFTQ, DEFENDER OF THE TRIBE!!
Dalu nwanne m. grin grin
Ka Chineke mezie okwu

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by cstr1000: 6:25pm On Oct 16, 2017
What a waste of data.
They all know the truth. Move on.
Orauda Ikwuano exhibit Igboism in its truest form, just like those Virginia igbos from the landing. He is a true son of the soil.

5 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 6:27pm On Oct 16, 2017
cstr1000:
What a waste of data.
They all know the truth. Move on.
Orauda Ikwuano exhibit Igboism in its truest form, just like those Virginia igbos from the landing. He is a true son of the soil.
Igbo amaka grin grin

Say no to dullardism, mumu-ism, and everlasting retrogression

4 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by IamLaura(f): 6:34pm On Oct 16, 2017
nengibo:

Does Benin have any alternative meaning for his name and the location of his birth, but abeg how can a pearl be sonorous and is there any popular person answering the name presently
According to his book,this is the meaning of his name and as you can see it agrees with what what poster said.
Nigga was clearly Igbo,why is this even an argument??Lol

3 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by IamLaura(f): 6:36pm On Oct 16, 2017
FisifunKododada:
Ibos and lies...When we tell them Olaudua (Ola + Odua) is a bonafide Edo man the say we are afonja

Ola odua ko Ola Oduduwa ni. grin
Edo And igbo pple that at least share some small boundaries are talking and Yoruba wey dey on the other side of the Niger wan chook mouth.
You people would soon claim the guy fell from the sky with oduduwa and landed on a slave ship.
Pathetic lots cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by IamLaura(f): 6:42pm On Oct 16, 2017
For the ignorant lots which clearly abound on this forum,here are some pictures from his book(which I've read countless times btw).
Feed your Brains
Ps:Igbo calculated date and years as "Afo" which is spelt "Ah-foe" in the book,what else do you need?? grin
They will soon claim Jaja of Opobo was bini or even Yoruba.shameless Culture Vultures

5 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by stonemasonn: 7:17pm On Oct 16, 2017
IamLaura:
For the ignorant lots which clearly abound on this forum,here are some pictures from his book(which I've read countless times btw).
Feed your Brains
Ps:Igbo calculated date and years as "Afo" which is spelt "Ah-foe" in the book,what else do you need?? grin
They will soon claim Jaja of Opobo was bini or even Yoruba.shameless Culture Vultures
Jaja of Okpobo was neither Benin or Yoruba, but are saying that he was Igbo?
Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Ngozi123(f): 7:28pm On Oct 16, 2017
IamLaura:

According to his book,this is the meaning of his name and as you can see it agrees with what what poster said.
Nigga was clearly Igbo, why is this even an argument?? Lol

Because they are bitter haters who just cannot stand for the Igbo to be celebrated undecided.

4 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 7:30pm On Oct 16, 2017
stonemasonn:
Jaja of Okpobo was neither Benin or Yoruba, but are saying that he was Igbo?
LMAO

"Jaja of Opobo (full name: Jubo Jubogha; 1821–1891) was a merchant prince and the founder of Opobo city-state in an area that is now the Rivers state of Nigeria. Born in Umuduruoha, Amaigbo, in Igboland, he was sold at about the age of twelve as a slave in Bonny. Jumo Jumofe later took the name "Jaja" for his dealings with the British."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaja_of_Opobo

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by hucienda: 7:38pm On Oct 16, 2017
What kind of stupid thread is this by the OP? You don't go about opening senseless threads on easily verifiable facts.

At least you should have read his autobiograghy - which is a popular one - first before coming forth with such crass ignorance.
Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 8:00pm On Oct 16, 2017
hucienda:
What kind of stupid thread is this by the OP? You don't go about opening senseless threads on easily verifiable facts.

At least you should have read his autobiograghy - which is a popular one - first before coming forth with such crass ignorance.
comos is a bad-belle pained afonja
Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by ZaraGift: 5:48am On Oct 17, 2017
bakynes:
According to Wikipedia he said he was captured from his home town in Etsako in present day Edo state so why are the Igbos trying to claim him. Is it because Edo was spelt an Eboe, now translated Eboe to Igbo.i though you guys said it was the British who spent Igbo wrongly am Ibo . The guy is from Edo state Jare, I was wondering how the name Oladuah Equiano became Igbo doesn't even sound Igbo one bit.

Zombie there was nothing like Edo then but Benin,
BTW Benin people didn't sale there people into slavery, they were only capturing people from other tribes and selling them to the white men

1 Like

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by ZaraGift: 6:01am On Oct 17, 2017
libertyhope2017:

Afonjas..all they do every day morning to night is...THINKING ABOUT IGBOS AND WHAT THEY ARE DOING, THEIR PAST AND PRESENT. Ignore this nuisance, he knows he is Igbo, but typical afonja mindset..."How can this known figure be Igbo", it pains them, so they decide to open a thread. Wicked things!

Leave Afonjas, they 1st claimed he was Igala, now they are claiming he was Benin
Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by ZaraGift: 6:03am On Oct 17, 2017
victrick105:
I wonder why u guys are fighting over this person who died hundreds of years ago...whether he was an ibo or not, what present contribution can the history of a dead man add to the igbo people...the benin people can have him if they want, itz not a trophy.

He was Igbo
Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by ZaraGift: 6:07am On Oct 17, 2017
Throwback:
I first got introduced to the topic of Olaudah Equiano when I watched a BBC documentary about him being from present day Nigeria. That was in year 2001/2002.

I immediately got the encyclopeadia brittanica volume that had his name alphabet and read up on him.

It is stated there that he was from a village near Benin.

Where the Igbo connection came up from is unknown to me.

To be objective, the Igbos have provided strong claims to show why he might be theirs, but does his autobiography state that his village is an Igbo village?

Also, can the Etsako/Benin relate to the cultural description he gave about his childhood and the society of his birth?

The worst is the the people arguing with the Igbos here are not Benin but Yoruba
Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by ZaraGift: 6:17am On Oct 17, 2017
Basic123:
This OP is not serious.

THE GUY IS IGBO!,PERIOD.WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL IN THAT.

AND THE IGBO PEOPLE NO EVEN ATTACK THE EDOs NA YORUBAS THEM DEY ATTACK.

NA SO DEM FEAR EDO PEOPLE?

He was Igbo no doubt but some Yoruba come carry the matter for head, even the Benins are not saying any on this matter.

You should ask why Yoruba is discussing this matter and arguing with the Igbos
Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by ZaraGift: 6:22am On Oct 17, 2017
giftq:

Mgbeke = a girl born on Eke day

Okeke / Okereke = a boy born on Eke day

Over time, Mgbeke turned to insult.

That is the dynamism of culture for you.

The person you're arguing with can't present one Yoruba/Benin dead or alive who have bore that name but they are here looking for prominent person bearing the name in the East
Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 6:27am On Oct 17, 2017
ZaraGift:

The person you're arguing with can't present one Yoruba/Benin dead or alive who have bore that name but they are here looking for prominent person bearing the name in the East
Gbam
the name Olaudah Equiano has no possible meaning in Bini language.

They are all pained afonja people who have a history of submitting to slavery by any means necessary. grin grin

cc Leez

3 Likes

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by ZaraGift: 6:28am On Oct 17, 2017
FisifunKododada:

Zombie I know if Mazi. Olauda Ikwuano is around you moronns will be arguing his origin with him just like you're doing to some south south Igbo,
This is 2017

1 Like

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by aribisala0(m): 6:29am On Oct 17, 2017
Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 6:31am On Oct 17, 2017
Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by aribisala0(m): 6:33am On Oct 17, 2017
I will soon come back to attend to foolish people be patient
Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by Nobody: 6:41am On Oct 17, 2017
aribisala0:
I will soon come back to attend to foolish people be patient
Make sure to study properly and stop spreading lies and propaganda

1 Like

Re: Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos by ofai: 7:02am On Oct 17, 2017
giftq:

Make sure to study properly and stop spreading lies and propaganda

My dear ignore the Yoruba idiot. He is really pained.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FAAC: NLC Hails Governor Umahi For Paying Ebonyi Workers’ Salaries / Buhari And His Fading 'anti-corruption' Fight By Oke Umurhohwo / Edo 2020: Upper Cut For Obaseki As Massive Resignation Hits Edo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.