Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,732 members, 7,817,014 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless (34180 Views)

Throwback Photos Of Fela Kuti After He Was Beaten And Hospitalized / Fela, Falana And Dr Ransome-kuti In Court (Throwback Photo) / Photo Of Fela Kuti And Femi Falana, His Personal Lawyer (Throwback) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by Pangea: 10:03am On Oct 19, 2017
My own explanation is this!

Fela left a huge void for the present artistes to fill?
Who can pick up the Barton?

We have noise makers now,
Very few musicians can pass through what Fela went through in the hands of the government.
Tuface tried, small threat and he succumbed.

So let the statue remain headless until we have someone who can pick up the Barton that Fela dropped.

3 Likes

Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by djcoolbaba2: 10:05am On Oct 19, 2017
Lack of common sence
Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by phoenix90(m): 10:10am On Oct 19, 2017
It's very simple. The headless statue signifies the identity of Fela's philosophy; Anybody can agitate for the emancipation of the human race. You can, I can, anybody can. Just slot into the identity, the realm and the philosophy. Just think the way he did and you will see the world through his lenses. Imagine till date all he ever said bout Nigeria and the black man still holds water. Abami-Edi is a legend.
Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by nicerichard05: 10:12am On Oct 19, 2017
Robbin7:
Doesn't make so much sense to me except some of my friends from Ekenwan campus justifies it too.

Mother T cool
Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by iammolise(m): 10:12am On Oct 19, 2017
suremanpatriot:
It depicts Fela costume with modernity and finesse. So what does Fela represent? Fela rep freedom,hemp smoking, rascality, erratic behavior,felabration with a rass and boozee lifestyle.
My friend that is how it should be done,otherwise if you put Fela's statue there hemp smokers,various addicts and hooligans vices will invade that roundabout and turn it a base for worrisome criminality,because all hoodlums wil gather there at night to worship his idol,which wil be bad for you ppl. Ha!!! Ambode is very wise undecided. .

bror... That's why we have mopol na or better yet well feard sars to be deployed n put things to decorum... Who's to say even with the headless statue hoodlums won't still camp there when it's crystal Clare to see it's actually fella's effigy. Not adding the head is not just honorable at all, lets be realistic here.
Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by Robbin7(m): 10:14am On Oct 19, 2017
nicerichard05:

Mother T cool

Ahail o. E b like say I u dey live around Kirinji street 4 UDI village o
Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by adeoba2008(m): 10:15am On Oct 19, 2017
For a very long time that i was seeing the statute. I dint know it was Fela. This might be the perception of generation unborn as well.

1 Like

Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by rayobaba(m): 10:19am On Oct 19, 2017
Dear artist, kindly put the head.
We dont need d statue to provoke any discussion.
enugo!
Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by lavenjcrown(m): 10:19am On Oct 19, 2017
MrHenshaw:

Brainstorming artists shall do better

for your information,anywhere wey u keep Fela Head,better go and bring it because your reasons are not accepted.

Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by romeorailss: 10:20am On Oct 19, 2017
It makes so much sense. The interpretation is simple. Fela was known as abami eda . These statue clearly portrays that. In fact it really imortalises him , makes it a subject of discussion as we are doing now, whenever you're it u keep wondering and discussore about fela and remember his days.

This statue is really worth it, the maker would win an award for it in the future, mark my words angry
Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by romeorailss: 10:21am On Oct 19, 2017
adeoba2008:
For a very long time that i was seeing the statute. I dint know it was Fela. This might be the perception of generation unborn as well.
it really looks like fela, that's exactly like fela sir. Ask anyone. If I see this abroad at a glance I will ask, what is Fela doing here angry shocked
Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by romeorailss: 10:28am On Oct 19, 2017
emperormossad:
This is real art personified, look out most of the famous painting and art works in man's history; it's often intermixed with art that have deep meanings, you cannot just appreciate them from face value, their meanings are 'hidden'. It takes reflective or critical perusal or appraisal to understand what they really stand for and i think this one belongs to that category. nice work.
bro only u and another person I have seen we share this same thought, I keep saying this. The creator of that stuff will get an awareness it in the future angry

1 Like

Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by redsun(m): 10:28am On Oct 19, 2017
In true sense,Fela represented the interest of headless chickens aka poor and gullible Nigerians who can not speak for themselves.

3 Likes

Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by realmindz: 10:37am On Oct 19, 2017
I read it and still doesn't make sense
Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by noskcid(m): 10:40am On Oct 19, 2017
ISSA ODE ARTIST grin
Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by Israeluyi: 11:42am On Oct 19, 2017
all dose ones na 2 much talk.oga go and look 4 his head and put
Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by grin88(m): 12:37pm On Oct 19, 2017
dbynonetwork:
His skull has been harvested for ritual purpose..

Very soon the Afonjas will go to IMO state and harvest the skull of JACOB ZUMA statue..

Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by emeths: 12:52pm On Oct 19, 2017
It's very simple, the liberation struggle cost him his head.
So does liberation struggle in this part of the world,.. so let the massage sink.

1 Like

Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by davillian(m): 12:55pm On Oct 19, 2017
for security reasons we had to remove the head and the hands.
We don't trust these skull miners.

1 Like

Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by ANOWEDGREAT: 1:07pm On Oct 19, 2017
dbynonetwork:

Very soon the Afonjas will go to IMO state and harvest the skull of JACOB ZUMA statue..

Exactly what am thinking afonjas don't joke with skull mining.

1 Like

Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by fancifulasuquo(m): 1:18pm On Oct 19, 2017
Afrobeat legend, Fela Kuti continues to be a legend even 20 years after his demise.

The 2017 edition of the festival was a special edition as it marked the 20th year anniversary of Fela’s demise, and the Lagos State government commemorated the legend by erecting ‘The Liberation’ a statue of Fela at Allen Roundabout, Ikeja, Lagos.

To the surprise of several people, the statue erected was without a head and this raised a lot of suspiscion and comments from fans of the late Afrobeat legend.

Responding on behalf of the family, Fela’s daughter and social commentator, Yeni Kuti has justified the design of the monument, saying it was the expression of how the artist felt about the late legend.

She said: ‘Before people on social media will start to say the Fela has no head or it has no hand and so on, it is art and before you abuse us, let me answer quickly. It is art. How an artist feels is how he feels because if he had put a head and the head did not look like Fela, everybody will say the head did not look like Fela so now you cannot abuse the head because it is not even there.’

The visual artist who designed the effigy, Abolore Sobayo said the work was an expression of how he feels about the late Afrobeat legend, saying that it was designed to generate discussion about the emancipation of the people. While justifying the fact that the art work had no head, Sobayo said the design came out of extensive research on what Fela represented through his music, and how to use same to correct some of the things he complained about years ago that are still happening.

‘For me as an artist, art transcends beyond beauty or aesthetics. For me, art should generate discuss; art should ask question and art should provoke our thoughts. For me, the creation of the Liberation Statue is to represent the essence of Fela by using his costume. For me, I believe that this should serve as a conscious to our subconscious that twenty years after Fela’s demise, most of the things he talked about are still happening. For me, this work should come to us not just as a beautiful work, but it should come to us as something that will ginger us to look at the positivity in our lives; positivity in the values of his music; for us to start to emancipate our people positively. Going forward, I have been able to use symbolism as a medium to represent Fela through his costume and to represent his essence,’ Sobayo said.

Ok
Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by bcbones: 1:36pm On Oct 19, 2017
But you guy complaining did fine art in school....there are abstract, semi abstract and real life arts.......this is just a beautiful piece of semi abstract art......know one ll say this doesn't represent fela......it's more than just a face
Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by Ofemmanu1: 1:50pm On Oct 19, 2017
dbynonetwork:

buhari ooooo!

1 Like

Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by Zeydah(m): 2:25pm On Oct 19, 2017
for those of you calling yorubas afonjas...how market?with the statue of Jacob Zuma ruling over you?you can remove the head and keep for the statue of nnamdi kanu#abamieda
Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by Tinyemeka(m): 2:57pm On Oct 19, 2017
emperormossad:
This is real art personified, look out most of the famous painting and art works in man's history; it's often intermixed with art that have deep meanings, you cannot just appreciate them from face value, their meanings are 'hidden'.

I hear. Give me examples of the most thoughts provoking pieces of human art and tell me they were not personified.

The raised arms of this statue do not even have fists, that should have symbolized struggle.

If it had been the intention of the commissioners to provoke deep thought by omitting the head, they failed woefully! What does the head stand for in the first place?

Honestly, they insult the memory of Abami Eda by erecting this absurdity. A bomber or Caterpillar driver should do justice to that thing ASAP.

1 Like

Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by kannymoore(m): 4:01pm On Oct 19, 2017
Lagbaja01:
take heart bro.

No wahala bros.
Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by lollarj(f): 4:07pm On Oct 19, 2017
That crotch is unmistakeably Fela's. No need for head.
Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by PeacenLove2: 6:19pm On Oct 19, 2017
So why is it headless?
Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by JOMAX: 7:29pm On Oct 19, 2017
Simple...

It's An Amatuer Artist Doing A Cheap Work[/quote]

I agree... beyond the pose nothing in this work truly represents Fela honestly. I mean look at it professionally and criticaly, the arms, legs and body is unreasticaly disproportionate. Not even hands to go with the arms. If it is ABSTRACT ART that would be understandable.
Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by emperormossad(m): 10:45pm On Oct 19, 2017
Tinyemeka:

I hear. Give me examples of the most thoughts provoking pieces of human art and tell me they were not personified.

The raised arms of this statue do not even have fists, that should have symbolized struggle.

If it had been the intention of the commissioners to provoke deep thought by omitting the head, they failed woefully! What does the head stand for in the first place?

Honestly, they insult the memory of Abami Eda by erecting this absurdity. A bomber or Caterpillar driver should do justice to that thing ASAP.
How much about Leonardo do you know?
Re: Why The Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless by drphantom: 10:49pm On Oct 19, 2017
Ebios:
Tell that to the birds.Not convincing enough..

Modified...
l dedicate my FTC to the man that committed suicide at Okolobiri Hospital bc of Monkey Pox...Though,l dont support his action,imagine the discrimination n negligence he must have suffered which pushed him to....

How sad! Did no one tell him the pox is temporary and mortality rate of the disease is low?

Such a waste

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Babajide Awobona Gets Married To His Wife (PHOTO) / Olamide Poses With His 7 Tooxclusive Awards / Toyin Afolayan Celebrates Her 58th Birthday With Stunning Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.