Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,257 members, 7,818,880 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:12 AM

I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? (12430 Views)

24/7 HRS Power Bank For Laptop,Printer, iPAD, BB/PHONES Say No To Power Failure / Boost Your Small Generator To Power Pressing Iron & Electric Kettle / How to identify a fake(china) HP Laptop? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by SmallBMighty: 3:08pm On Mar 13, 2010
Naralands? I want to kown If this my action on my handssome HP DV7 Laptorp is justifyable. I uses a small gen and a 1000 KVA stablizer to power my hp laptorp with the battery been presence inside and somestimes absent the battery. Is these good ?
I live in Ikorondu where there is no nePA but go to sometimes where light is and charge
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by SmallBMighty: 9:45pm On Mar 13, 2010
Somebody should answer me o. Before my hp laptop got spoiled. Please pleaases pls oo. I remove my battery and use direct outline to my computer with small gen. Is it gud?
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by SmallBMighty: 9:47pm On Mar 13, 2010
??
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by SmallBMighty: 8:49pm On Mar 14, 2010
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by cardoso111(m): 9:31pm On Mar 14, 2010
i pity u because you will soon blow your laptop/get a bigger gen or buy an inverter prompyly
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Mar 14, 2010
if you connect it through a 1kva mercury stabilizer and 1.5va mercury ups , you should be fine
but it will set you back like 18k

i say this because 650 va ups cannot handle the voltage fluctuations you will sometimes get from your generator , but a 1.5kva ups will handle all that

1 Like

Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by chidyke77(m): 7:22am On Mar 15, 2010
I never knew it is dangerous using it wt a laptop and i hv bn doing it for a while bt the only fault i observed is that the battery has depriciated to the point of nt even staying up to 1hr.
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by SmallBMighty: 2:43pm On Mar 15, 2010
This shit. My hp is in stake. Thaink to you oyb , one computer programer tell me is good to use but am counfuzed.
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by Seun(m): 11:07am On Mar 16, 2010
I used my HP laptop with a 650va generator for up to a year and it was fine.  I didn't even use a stabilizer/ Ask yourself how come your laptop can work with such a wide range of voltages (110V to 240V)? Most laptops draw about 60W of power, so why should you need a 1500W stabilizer?  That makes no sense.

So don't listen to these alarmists, but make sure you use it with a battery, so your hard disk won't get damaged if the gen goes off unexpectedly.
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by Nobody: 11:24am On Mar 16, 2010
^^^^

question

did you use ONLY your laptop with the generator, or did you use it in conjunction with other household items?

i doubt if the op is using the generator as a supply solely for his laptop

i have three generators at home-

an i pass my neighbour 950va

a 2.2kva

and a 5.5kva

the i pass my neighbour invariably trips off when i power up my laptop

the 2.2 kva carries several items, but if too many things are on at the same time, the lights start flickering, -the stabilizer starts flipping out, and my previous ups came on and off at 10 second intervals - its now dead.

if your generator is new and your laptop has a low end video card - high end ones have bigger power requirements (- mine comes to 170w  tongue)

feel free to connect it directly

just keep in mind that 18 k beats the 40k or more you will shell out if you blow your motherboard

i have two different people whose laptops also the much touted 110-220 volts were blown by power issues

come to think of it - there was atime when somone in the generator was seriously misbehaving - and it blew my brothers laptop  adapter

unlike you , i am talking based on experiences with several laptops  tongue .

@ op, over to you
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by SmallBMighty: 1:15pm On Mar 16, 2010
Gudness Gudnesz dis i gettin me more counfuzed. Which opinion is to take? Plse try n usin a lame man explanatiouns so dat i can undestand u very well.
I have bin use dis hp since 2007 until dis shit phcn wahala for my area and i have using i pass my neighbuor gen sett since. My only question is can i use d laptorp directly when is plugg to the extention socket with my battry inside? Or shall i remove dis battery before uses. I use d gen wit a small T.V And small Dvd player and 2 60 Wattt bolbs and 2 100Wattt bolbs including my hp dv7 laptorpz.
Thainks to u seuN but am stil counfuzed with oyb.
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Mar 16, 2010
assuming your generator is 950va - and your tv is 14 inches or thereabouts - you should be ok.
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by SmallBMighty: 1:50pm On Mar 16, 2010
How do i detemine the (va) of my gen, ? plse i want to check right away. Yes is 14 inche T.V. Which other risk am i stand for regular consitent uses? Thainks.
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by aieromon(m): 1:52pm On Mar 16, 2010
So i heard but i've been using my HP on ''IPMN'' generators since 2008 without hassles.
Maybe,it depends on the generator,all these chinese generators have grades.
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Mar 16, 2010
it should be written somewhere on it

as long as your lights don't flicker - i guess you should be ok .

aieromon:

So i heard but i've been using my HP on ''IPMN'' generators since 2008 without hassles.
Maybe,it depends on the generator,all these chinese generators have grades.

generator pass generator

so many of these chinko gens cannot work at the maximum written rating . people just write fabu on the generator

by simple maths, that 950va should carry my laptop 170w, tv 170 w and some fans.

beans

the moment i put on my laptop, it trips off sharp sharp
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by DualCore1: 2:06pm On Mar 16, 2010
dunno jack about electricity. as we speak i have the following on.

My desktop pc (my killer habitat) with a 19" HP LCD
My hp dv6000 laptop (just On, not in active use)
HP deskjet printer (just on, not in use)
LG Slim 21" tv (black)
LG Home theatre
2 15W fluorescent bulbs
The generator sound is okay :-p that's all i know
Its an I-pass-my-neighbor which runs 24/7 as long as there is no PHCN  tongue ( i have 2 gens actually so they run shifts)
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by SmallBMighty: 2:10pm On Mar 16, 2010
Oyb, i can undestand u now. but is gud to connect my stab if i want? Or use direct to d light. D light does not flicker much just d usual small gen flicker. Thainks.
To Dual coree. Really? Dat is 2 much load. My god.
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Mar 16, 2010
Dual Core:

dunno jack about electricity. as we speak i have the following on.

My desktop pc (my killer habitat) with a 19" HP LCD
My hp dv6000 laptop (just On, not in active use)
HP deskjet printer (just on, not in use)
LG Slim 21" tv (black)
LG Home theatre
2 15W fluorescent  bulbs
The generator sound is okay :-p that's all i know
Its an I-pass-my-neighbor which runs 24/7 as long as there is no PHCN  tongue ( i have 2 gens actually so they run shifts)

i bought that i pass my neighbour last week so i could offset my operating costs

i dey do overnights dls all the time

the 2.2 kva will fire 8 litres from 12 midnight  to 6 am

the i pass my neighbour will fire 4 litres

sadly - it will not work with my laptop on

maybe if i put off all the lights and fans ( not possible - madam, kids, maid, aburo )

thinking of getting a netbook solely for night downloading - in theory i can offset my fuel costs significantly by doing this

from 520/night to 260/night  ie 2600 per week to 1300 per week and so on.
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Mar 16, 2010
~Small-B-Mighty~:

Oyb, i can undestand u now. but is gud to connect my stab if i want? Or use direct to d light. D light does not flicker much just d usual small gen flicker. Thainks.
To Dual coree. Really? Dat is 2 much load. My god.

use stab o!

but stab also pass stab

i use mercury stabilizers personally.
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by SmallBMighty: 2:34pm On Mar 16, 2010
Oyb, u have help me learn much here today. God blessed u big. But what is Mecrury Stab??

I just return from check my gen info and all i see is dis :
TIGER 'tm (i pass my neibhuor)
950 DC
Rated Power - 650 W
AC Output - 220V/ 50Hz
Phase - Single
DC OUTput - 12V/ 10A
fuel/ Mixed Gasoline 4 Lit

No. 0710008725. But i dont undestand any of these writing. Can xplain if u are physicians? Thainks.
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Mar 16, 2010
na 650 watts be your gen

just means you cannot connect that much to it is all.

mercury stab means mercury stabilizer

just a manufacturer

all those binatone stabilizers - i don't have faith in them.
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by DualCore1: 3:10pm On Mar 16, 2010
i dont use stabs but i use a blue gate ups. I used to connect my APC with the gen but the APC is just an ashy, its too sensitive.
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by Nobody: 3:18pm On Mar 16, 2010
i dont use stabs but i use a blue gate ups. I used to connect my APC with the gen but the APC is just an ashy, its too sensitive.

u don miss am

the apc na butta - only big honda generator can turn it on

the bluegate na ashi - anything goes tiger, tec, kubota , honda, jinling, elepaq
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by DualCore1: 3:26pm On Mar 16, 2010
abi o, na true. grin
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by SmallBMighty: 3:29pm On Mar 16, 2010
So many Thainks. I feel a bit comforted now. Rgrds to ur wife and kids.
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by Thelmabee: 6:34pm On Mar 16, 2010
@oyb
oyb:

i bought that i pass my neighbour last week so i could offset my operating costs

i dey do overnights dls all the time

the 2.2 kva will fire 8 litres from 12 midnight  to 6 am

the i pass my neighbour will fire 4 litres

sadly - it will not work with my laptop on

maybe if i put off all the lights and fans ( not possible - madam, kids, maid, aburo )

thinking of getting a netbook solely for night downloading - in theory i can offset my fuel costs significantly by doing this

from 520/night to 260/night  ie 2600 per week to 1300 per week and so on.

OYB why dont u stop talking crap,
see u'r most bothered about ur laptop dn d comfort of ur family,
oloshi what a way to cut cost- NOTEBOOK sha
why dont u sell dt laptop ur son poured spirit on to buy d notebook nah, lets check sef, check, still checking, oh its gone, pooh hole,he beat me to it, Oniranu, sell it well,or gift it to hmmmmmm, u knw who, can see d poo hole's laptop is still around,bunch of poo holes.
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by ikomi2014: 1:03pm On Nov 19, 2014
Hello Guys!
I Just got my self a computer and apparently the place i stay in ogun state, we don't have Nepa there.
But, I have a small tiger generator to generate light. so I made a very grave mistake of connecting my my computer directly without a Stabilizer or Ups according to the advice of a friend and the power pack got burnt and I had to change it.
please guys, kindly advice me on how to go about working my computer to the generator without causing myself more havoc.
thanks.
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by femi4: 3:49pm On Nov 19, 2014
ikomi2014:
Hello Guys!
I Just got my self a computer and apparently the place i stay in ogun state, we don't have Nepa there.
But, I have a small tiger generator to generate light. so I made a very grave mistake of connecting my my computer directly without a Stabilizer or Ups according to the advice of a friend and the power pack got burnt and I had to change it.
please guys, kindly advice me on how to go about working my computer to the generator without causing myself more havoc.
thanks.
Follow your friend's advice
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by asalimpo(m): 6:03pm On Nov 19, 2014
ikomi2014:
Hello Guys!
thanks.

change d capacitor(s) in d power pack and try again with a different gen. This shudnt b d case.
Re: I Use Small Generator To Power My Hp Laptop? by asalimpo(m): 6:17pm On Nov 19, 2014
I ran a desktop on a tiger gen for about a year without any issues. One thing i did notice later was tht sometimes the i-pass-my-neignbour would struggle to get started and pick the computer.
I also thought d noise from those things are unbearably loud esp @ night.
But computer wise i had no issues. The gen was used only for d computer(cpu+crt monitor).
Ironically, nepa power surge fried d power pack.
Theyre inverter gens i see on amzon though, perfect for electronics but d cost. The cost .
The cost puts tiger gens in d gutter. Buyg+shipping+no servce techs here make it unattractive.
This shudve been d better option plus i hear theyre very economical on fuel, going 8-9hrs and are super quiet.

(1) (Reply)

10 Reasons Your Computer Is Frustratingly Slow And What To Do About It / Anybody With Glo Internet Configuration Setting For Non-glo Modem / Bluetooth car scanner: scan ANY car with phone (4K ONLY, works with all cars)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.