Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,572 members, 7,958,773 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 11:31 PM

The Anti Corruption 'Fight' Of Property Confiscation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Anti Corruption 'Fight' Of Property Confiscation (415 Views)

Femi Odekunle: Malami's Power Block Doesn't Support Buhari Anti-Corruption Fight / Anti-Corruption Fight: Top 'Own Goals' Scored By The Buhari Administration -Tori / Corruption Fight: You Can Never Satisfy Nigerians – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Anti Corruption 'Fight' Of Property Confiscation by Listic1: 7:59am On Oct 20, 2017
What I have serious trouble understanding in the present 'fight against corruption' is what I am about to relay. How can the EFCC and the courts confiscate a person's property who has not yet been found guilty of fraud or any crime for that matter? The one that leaves a sour taste in my mouth, as a lawyer, is the fact that they do this using only, or mostly, MOTION EXPARTE! Who makes these laws or rules?

The case of Cecilia Ibru seems unimpeachable in this respect. These days, however, you keep hearing of forfeitures from Ex-Minister, Ex-First-Lady, Ex-This, Ex-That and yet no one is being prosecuted for any offence. The one that wants to come down and defend herself they said she should remain where she is; that they are not prepared for her yet. But they go on confiscating her properties! This cannot be proper!

If we desire to break the backbone of corruption in Nigeria, we must not toy with our adherence to due process. To do otherwise simply means we are corrupting the system. And you know what? A corrupt system cannot 'fight', I would rather use, neutralise, corruption! Please, don't get it muddled up, well, you can if you want.

This is by no stretch of the imagination a request for soft landing for people who are alleged to have stolen our commonwealth. See, anyone who is found culpable should and must pay for their misstep to the fullest extent allowed by law. Those guys don't give a damn. I, too, don't care! My call is only that due process must be followed religiously. Except we do so, we will only be making nonsense of the effort to put society back on track!

By Listic1; @ODNEsq
Re: The Anti Corruption 'Fight' Of Property Confiscation by Fxmanager(m): 8:06am On Oct 20, 2017
Due process should be followed.
Re: The Anti Corruption 'Fight' Of Property Confiscation by oladeebo: 9:05am On Oct 20, 2017
Listic1:
What I have serious trouble understanding in the present 'fight against corruption' is what I am about to relay. How can the EFCC and the courts confiscate a person's property who has not yet been found guilty of fraud or any crime for that matter? The one that leaves a sour taste in my mouth, as a lawyer, is the fact that they do this using only, or mostly, MOTION EXPARTE! Who makes these laws or rules?

The case of Cecilia Ibru seems unimpeachable in this respect. These days, however, you keep hearing of forfeitures from Ex-Minister, Ex-First-Lady, Ex-This, Ex-That and yet no one is being prosecuted for any offence. The one that wants to come down and defend herself they said she should remain where she is; that they are not prepared for her yet. But they go on confiscating her properties! This cannot be proper!

If we desire to break the backbone of corruption in Nigeria, we must not toy with our adherence to due process. To do otherwise simply means we are corrupting the system. And you know what? A corrupt system cannot 'fight', I would rather use, neutralise, corruption! Please, don't get it muddled up, well, you can if you want.

This is by no stretch of the imagination a request for soft landing for people who are alleged to have stolen our commonwealth. See, anyone who is found culpable should and must pay for their misstep to the fullest extent allowed by law. Those guys don't give a damn. I, too, don't care! My call is only that due process must be followed religiously. Except we do so, we will only be making nonsense of the effort to put society back on track!

By Listic1; @ODNEsq
sorry Mr lawyer!
..the system short-change your income?
but Nigerian needed their assets badly for their own survival now!
Lawyer can wait for the better time for ripping!
Re: The Anti Corruption 'Fight' Of Property Confiscation by dokiOloye(m): 9:32am On Oct 20, 2017
That is why such abracadabra are easily upturned by higher courts.
The present day judges in d high courts are d most timid and most corrupt set in d whole world.
In sane climes,justice Nyako should've penalized d chief of army staff for interfering with a case that was already before her in d Nnamdi Kanu saga,but here,d justice is always dispensed with timidity and tribalism.
Re: The Anti Corruption 'Fight' Of Property Confiscation by Listic1: 9:47pm On Oct 20, 2017
oladeebo:
sorry Mr lawyer! ..the system short-change your income? but Nigerian needed their assets badly for their own survival now! Lawyer can wait for the better time for ripping!
Hahaha. This is very funny. But you have a point, though.
Re: The Anti Corruption 'Fight' Of Property Confiscation by aolawale025: 10:48pm On Oct 20, 2017
Yet they are returning some people's properties when the case has not been exhausted
Re: The Anti Corruption 'Fight' Of Property Confiscation by Listic1: 6:58pm On Oct 22, 2017
aolawale025:
Yet they are returning some people's properties when the case has not been exhausted

That is what I don't understand, myself.

(1) (Reply)

South Africans React To Zuma's Statue / Gov. Obiano Maps Out N1.5 Billion To Buy Traders Chairmen To Endorse Him / Again, Gov Bello To Extend Local Government Administrators' Tenure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.