Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,168 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:14 AM

Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women (7906 Views)

Poll: Does divorce makes men more suicidal than women?

Yes: 48% (15 votes)
No: 51% (16 votes)
This poll has ended

Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) / Sexist Men More Likely To Prefer Women With Bigger Breasts / Are Married Men More Responsible Than Single Men? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 12:24am On Mar 14, 2010
This is from one of the Jack Cafferty's questions on CNN. this is why alot of guys living in the western nations, especially the USA stay away from marriage sad sad

"It's no secret divorces can be ugly, messy and uncomfortable in so many ways,  but now there's research that suggests divorce is also one of the top reasons for suicide among men.

AOL News reports that the stress and sadness associated with divorce take a much tougher toll on men than women.

Experts say suicide rates are higher among divorced men - and lowest among those who are still married. Single men fall in between.

One sociologist who studies family structure and suicide rates says divorced men are almost 40 percent more likely to commit suicide than those who are still married. That number jumps to 50 percent for a man who is widowed.

Yet for women there's a statistically insignificant difference when it comes to the risk for suicide among those who are married, divorced or widowed.

Some think it's because marriage provides a support system that men rely on much more than women. There are also studies that show married men take fewer risks and are healthier - less likely to smoke, drink or use drugs.

Another reason why women might be less suicidal is because of the children. Women often remain the primary caretakers for kids after divorce; and research shows that for every additional child in a home, the adult is less and less likely to commit suicide.

Overall - men in this country are four times more likely than women to take their own lives."

http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/11/why-does-divorce-make-men-more-suicidal-than-women/
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Nobody: 12:27am On Mar 14, 2010
Oh well, the reverse is the case in developing countries where the man kicks the woman and even his kids out of the house. The western countries have laws that protect the wife and kids.
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by mamagee3(f): 12:29am On Mar 14, 2010
Well, I agree with this one. , Divorce affects men psychologically more than women.
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by daylae(m): 12:38am On Mar 14, 2010
When the man has to pay huge settlement,why won't some feeble minds opt for suicide. Let's try turn the table around,and you'll see men smilling and going hiking after divorce,while the women go for evaluation.

1 Like

Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 12:40am On Mar 14, 2010
Ebonyeyes:

Oh well, the reverse is the case in developing countries where the man kicks the woman and even his kids out of the house. The western countries have laws that protect the wife and kids.

but there is a trend, most developing countries pick their taste and life style off the developed ones, so if men in the developed countries shy away from marriage and the men in the developing countries pick the same pace, dont u think there will be more of a damaging effect on the developing countries? when i was in nigeria, even at a young age folks talk abt marriage all around us, since i came to the states, all we talk abt is work, hanging out, games and stuff like that very few like the topic of marriage; most are satisfied with just a gf as long as she dont move it toward marriage. after reading this piece dont u think these guys are justified?
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by no1madman(m): 12:40am On Mar 14, 2010
mama-gee:

Well, I agree with this one. , Divorce affects men psychologically more than women.
Not in Africa. . .it's d other way round. . real african Men no dey die.
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by mamagee3(f): 12:41am On Mar 14, 2010
no1madman:

Not in Africa. . .it's d other way round. . real african Men no dey die.
And where have you seen real African Couples divorce?
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 12:42am On Mar 14, 2010
daylae:

When the man has to pay huge settlement,why won't some feeble minds opt for suicide. Let's try turn the table around,and you'll see men smilling and going hiking after divorce,while the women go for evaluation.

amen brother!
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by no1madman(m): 12:54am On Mar 14, 2010
mama-gee:

And where have you seen real African Couples divorce?
Generally African Men don't commit suicide. . .na white thing and few weak African Americans.
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Nobody: 12:56am On Mar 14, 2010
Depression is a helluva thing I think we should try and understand it better rather than ridicule people who take the easy way out.
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 1:15am On Mar 14, 2010
no1madman:

Generally African Men don't commit suicide. . .na white thing and few weak African Americans.

i pity u, i pray that God gives u a visa, make u wealth and allow one woman divorce u and when u are down to a penny then come back and call others weak, arrant nonsense! angry angry
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Pweety4me(f): 1:22am On Mar 14, 2010
@na2day have u considered divorcing ur profile pic? undecided grin lipsrsealed
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by daylae(m): 1:29am On Mar 14, 2010
Heard michael jordan's ex wife took half of his total assets after divorce,and now the guy is probably covered by the eclipes of the mess he went through cus haven't here much about him after the divorce.
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 1:36am On Mar 14, 2010
Pweety4me:

@na2day have u considered divorcing your profile pic? undecided grin lipsrsealed

what is wrong with my pic?

daylae:

Heard michael jordan's ex wife took half of his total assets after divorce,and now the guy is probably covered by the eclipes of the mess he went through cus haven't here much about him after the divorce.

MJ recovered well, at least he just bought an nba team. not everyman is that lucky. Harrison Ford almost lost his mind after his divorce. sad
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Pweety4me(f): 1:38am On Mar 14, 2010
Who was the other dude?
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 1:40am On Mar 14, 2010
Pweety4me:

Who was the other dude?

what other dude? undecided undecided
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Pweety4me(f): 1:42am On Mar 14, 2010
The one that was dark in complexion and wore a leather jacket.
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 1:43am On Mar 14, 2010
Pweety4me:

The one that was dark in complexion and wore a leather jacket.

check my profile again wink wink
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by daylae(m): 1:47am On Mar 14, 2010
@na2day hmm. . . .then his case is one out of a milln tragic stories.
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Pweety4me(f): 1:48am On Mar 14, 2010
na2day?:

check my profile again wink wink
Hehe which kind man u be?y snap picture and hide face?anyhow who is d other scary dude?
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 1:52am On Mar 14, 2010
daylae:

@na2day hmm. . . .then his case is one out of a milln tragic stories.

the study says about 40% or more in the USA, so that means there are many. 3yrs ago i read that the divorce rate among nigerian marriages has gone up to 50% with the guy either ending up in jail or got the worse of the deal.

Pweety4me:

Hehe which kind man u be?y snap picture and hide face?anyhow who is d other scary dude?

ehmm, me? grin grin grin
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Pweety4me(f): 2:03am On Mar 14, 2010
[color=#770077]Hissss stop twisting my brain. . .[/color]
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 2:06am On Mar 14, 2010
Pweety4me:

[color=#770077]Hissss stop twisting my brain. . .[/color]

awww, baby u know i wont do that to u. kiss kiss kiss dont u like fat guys? aren't they humans that need love too? sad sad
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Pweety4me(f): 2:09am On Mar 14, 2010
It's not about being fat. . .it's just dat u never did show dis guy previously. . . undecided
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 2:12am On Mar 14, 2010
Pweety4me:

It's not about being fat. . .it's just dat u never did show dis guy previously. . . undecided

LOL
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Pweety4me(f): 2:14am On Mar 14, 2010
It's not funny. . . angry shut down and don't talk 2 me again! embarassed
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 2:24am On Mar 14, 2010
Pweety4me:

It's not funny. . . angry shut down and don't talk 2 me again! embarassed

over a pic?
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Pweety4me(f): 2:25am On Mar 14, 2010
Nevermind cool
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 2:28am On Mar 14, 2010
sighs
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Pweety4me(f): 2:34am On Mar 14, 2010
Wat?
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by na2day2(m): 2:39am On Mar 14, 2010
Pweety4me:

Wat?. . lipsrsealed

reply to the topic
Re: Divorce Makes Men More Suicidal Than Women by Pweety4me(f): 2:56am On Mar 14, 2010
4get it now edit my comment that u quoted.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why And How She Cheated On Her Husband; True Life Story. / How Much Can You Spend For A Wedding In Nigeria? / My Husband's Confession

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.