Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,083 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia (1669 Views)

Russian Orthodox Church In Amsterdam Announces Split With Moscow Due To Ukraine. / Christians Pray To Water Stain 'Shaped Like Virgin Mary' In Colombia / How Ethiopian Orthodox Christianity Influenced Martin Luther Reformation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia by ednited(f): 5:53am On Oct 22, 2017
Ethiopian Orthodox Religion existed for a long time, practiced from the 4th Century AD. But this Orthodox Religion is a bit different from other Orthodox Religion.

The bible- written in Geez and Amharic only

The church - has its own Architecture

The way of worship and celebration of holidays is very different too

We are unique from many African countries because of the contribution of the religion too. . .

This religion has done so many favour to the country.

Amharic language to spread in Ethiopia, thought us amazing Architecture. . .and also shaped how Ethiopians behave. When ladies enter the church, hair must be covered and wore long dresses too. You don't see Ethiopians showing their bellies in Addis too. This religion has thought many Ethiopians on how to act too. It have thought us on how to move our way because this religion is spread and introduced by Ethiopians them selves. From birth to death, this religion shapes everyone.

Ethiopian calendar itself is counted because of this religion.

Even this religion brought Ethiopia's musical notation we still use today. We Ethiopians are rigid in many things. . .but this behavior helped us to stay still on the religion and practice it as in the 4th Century.

This religion is not just practiced in the Church, wherever you go in Ethiopia, it shapes you.

HAVE A GOOD SUNDAY

1 Like

Re: How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia by DaBillionnaire: 6:06am On Oct 22, 2017
Ethopia cry
Re: How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia by religionisbad(m): 6:18am On Oct 22, 2017
Good
Re: How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia by felixomor: 6:39am On Oct 22, 2017
The Ethiopian church remains one of the earliest Christian congregations.
Quite an amazing history
Re: How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia by talk2riel: 6:45am On Oct 22, 2017
it's amazing to see century old practice still maintain
Re: How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia by ednited(f): 12:05pm On Oct 22, 2017
talk2riel:
it's amazing to see century old practice still maintain

yes.
Re: How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia by ednited(f): 12:06pm On Oct 22, 2017
DaBillionnaire:
Ethopia cry
why using this face?
Re: How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 22, 2017
Ednited,

Are the ppl in the last pic Ethiopians?
Re: How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia by ednited(f): 6:45am On Oct 23, 2017
Hati13:
Ednited,
Are the ppl in the last pic Ethiopians?
I think she is, I don't know if the guy is
Re: How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia by ednited(f): 5:09pm On Nov 04, 2017
Zenmaster, we can discuss here
what do you want to know about Ethiopian Christianity?
Am always ready to answer
Re: How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia by Nobody: 5:11pm On Nov 04, 2017
ednited:
Zenmaster, we can discuss here

what do you want to know about Ethiopian Christianity?

Am always ready to answer
First of all, where can we get English translations of the Ethiopian bible?

Secondly, where can we get other texts written by Ethiopian christians?

Third, How did Christianity engage the traditional religions of Ethiopian tribes.
Re: How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia by ednited(f): 5:20pm On Nov 04, 2017
zenmaster:

First of all, where can we get English translations of the Ethiopian bible?

Secondly, where can we get other texts written by Ethiopian christians?

Third, How did Christianity engage the traditional religions of Ethiopian tribes.

You can download HOLY BIBLE IN AMHARIC Bible, it have Amharic and English translation

Text written by Ethiopian Christians is not easily found, I can't even find it. Except in a Bible

A Bible called Fikare Eyesus is written by them, borrowed it from a friend of mine

Religion have a very big impact in Ethiopia. For example, Amhara people of Ethiopia first accepted Christianity, they have Latin cross ratio on their forehead. Today, traditional Amhara ppl still have that as their culture

Re: How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia by Nobody: 5:23pm On Nov 04, 2017
ednited:

You can download HOLY BIBLE IN AMHARIC Bible, it have Amharic and English translation
Ok let me check google playstore

ednited:

Text written by Ethiopian Christians is not easily found, I can't even find it. Except in a Bible

A Bible called Fikare Eyesus is written by them, borrowed it from a friend of mine

Religion have a very big impact in Ethiopia. For example, Amhara people of Ethiopia first accepted Christianity, they have Latin cross ratio on their forehead. Today, traditional Amhara ppl still have that as their culture
Yes unlike other parts of Africa, Christianity did not come through European invaders.
Are the Oromo people all christian also?
Re: How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia by ednited(f): 5:28pm On Nov 04, 2017
zenmaster:
Ok let me check google playstore

Are the Oromo people all christian also?
No, some are Muslims
Re: How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia by Nobody: 5:30pm On Nov 04, 2017
ednited:

No, some are Muslims
can u paste painting / picture from the Ethiopian christianity like this one of Adam and Eve

Re: How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia by Nobody: 6:20pm On Nov 04, 2017
Ednited,

I thought Axumites were the 1st Ethiopian Christians.
Re: How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia by ednited(f): 12:30pm On Nov 05, 2017
Hati13:
Ednited,
I mean the first tribe to accept Christianity
Re: How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia by Waltaw(m): 1:18am On Dec 03, 2017
Its not only a religion of Ethiopians but its also a culture.. It defines us
Re: How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia by Hier(m): 3:38am On Dec 03, 2017
Hati13:
Ednited,

ednited:

I mean the first tribe to accept Christianity
Waltaw:
Its not only a religion of Ethiopians but its also a culture.. It defines us

please a have a question for you guys

Is there any record of any evangelical work done by this old church, cause I always feel no matter how little they were then, their impact should be felt in Africa
Re: How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia by Nobody: 12:14pm On Dec 03, 2017
Hier:

please a have a question for you guys

Is there any record of any evangelical work done by this old church, cause I always feel no matter how little they were then, their impact should be felt in Africa
The church didn't evangelize outside of Ethiopia and Eritrea. Some personals may had did, but the church as an institution never did. The church and the state were very much connected in the past, so unless the state conquered new territories, the church won't go there. If the state would had conquered Kenya for example, then the church would have been established there.

The church was even reluctant to convert some pagan areas in some part of Ethiopia until the 19th century AD. The topography of Ethiopia is also another factor. It's mountainous and made movement difficult in the country. By the way, more than 70% of Africa mountains are found in Ethiopia.

There were some Christians in Ethiopia starting from 1st century AD. The royal family converted to Christianity in mid 4th century AD and the church was established at that period. Until the arrival of the 9 saints to Ethiopia in late 5th century AD, Christians were majority founded only in Aksum and Adulies towns and the pathway that connects those 2 places. Others were still pagan, but when the saints arrived, the bulk of Aksumite empire population converted to Christianity. The Bible was translated to Geez language and monasteries started to be established for the 1st time. The Aksumite then converted the Agew ppl in Wag, Lasta and Angot to Christianity starting from 6th century AD onwards. They then converted the Amhara ppl in 9th and 10th century AD.
Re: How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia by Hier(m): 12:59pm On Dec 03, 2017
[quote author=Hati13 post=62938692]
The church didn't evangelize outside of Ethiopia and Eritrea. Some personals may had did, but the church as an institution never did. The church and the state were very much connected in the past, so unless the state conquered new territories, the church won't go there. If the state would had conquered Kenya for example, then the church would have been established there.

The church was even reluctant to convert some pagan areas in some part of Ethiopia until the 19th century AD. The topography of Ethiopia is also another factor. It's mountainous and made movement difficult in the country. By the way, more than 70% of Africa mountains are found in Ethiopia.

There were some Christians in Ethiopia starting from 1st century AD. The royal family converted to Christianity in mid 4th century AD and the church was established at that period. Until the arrival of the 9 saints to Ethiopia in late 5th century AD, Christians were majority founded only in Aksum and Adulies towns and the pathway that connects those 2 places. Others were still pagan, but when the saints arrived, the bulk of Aksumite empire population converted to Christianity. The Bible was translated to Geez language and monasteries started to be established for the 1st time. The Aksumite then converted the Agew ppl in Wag, Lasta and Angot to Christianity starting from 6th century AD onwards. They then converted the Amhara ppl in 9th and 10th century AD.[/qabout

This is really helpful Sir

I think you gave me more than I asked for

God bless Ethiopian, I think I now have this thing about Orthodox churches
it really amuses me how they won't step out to preach the gospel.

They are not passionate about the things of God, I was shocked when you said they had to wait till the 19century before they could minister or convert people within their geographical location

In summary, I believe their action is not a good one
Re: How Ethiopian Orthodox Religion Shaped Ethiopia by Nobody: 1:36pm On Dec 03, 2017
[quote author=Hier post=62939810][/quote]
When I say in the 19th century AD, I'm trying to say in a large scale. There was conversation been done by the church prior from the period, but it wasn't that much large. The Ethiopian aristocracies and church learned from their mistake and started to convert mass pagan ppl in southern Ethiopia from 19th century AD onwards. But most of those convicted ppl are now abandoning their Ethiopian Orthodox Christianity faith and are becoming Protestant at a higher rate.

One of the other main reason for the reluctant of the church to convert in mass is slavery. Ethiopian Christians were only allowed to enslave non-Christians, so the aristocracies didn't wanted large scale conversations in slave raiding areas. Slave trade was a very big business in Ethiopia and Horn of Africa in general in the past.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Was Noah's Flood Global Or Local? / Shocking Viral Video Of Pastor Who Made His Congregants To Remove Their Undies / ONLINE PRAYER VIGIL (7NIGHTS OF DIVINE ENCOUNTER): DAY 7.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.