Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,773 members, 7,809,982 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:16 PM

1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) (20112 Views)

Charterhouse: Why We Charge ₦42M Fees For Primary School Pupils — Lagos School / Oko Polytechnic Lecturer Gifts His Best Project Students N10,000 (Photo) / Beautiful Lady Who Sells Groundnut To Raise Money For Her School Fees (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) by LazyNairalander(m): 9:21pm On Oct 23, 2017
What was the exchange rate then?
Re: 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) by Ndipe(m): 9:30pm On Oct 23, 2017
At one point, in the 80's it used to be 10 naira a term, sometimes it was free. Quote me on this, primary school was FREE. But to some parents, that was meaningless, because some of there were not upto par with their private school counterparts.
Re: 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) by drololaaof: 9:32pm On Oct 23, 2017
It is unfortunate that our present day leaders who enjoy free education/scholarship were the one's that bastardise the education system ,what you hear from them is privatising unity school's to enable them buy it like they do to NEPA thereby impoverishing the less privilege making life difficult ,children of the farmers ,petty traders can not attend the mammoth private schools.
Re: 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) by tmastero(m): 9:48pm On Oct 23, 2017
was it the same economy? happens like that everywherw in the world
Re: 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) by adetes: 9:59pm On Oct 23, 2017
I want to go back to old days pls
Re: 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) by Lekan111(m): 10:17pm On Oct 23, 2017
Egein:

Re-read, to yourself, what you just wrote, and, sincerely, rate yourself.
It's very clear why you think education is cheap.
you mean my mistake? thanks noted such will be avoided next time
Re: 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) by Egein(m): 10:27pm On Oct 23, 2017
Lekan111:
you mean my mistake? thanks noted such will be avoided next time
Even this retort is full of 'mistakes'. Learn to begin a sentence with a Sentence (upper) Case. Learn to use punctuations too.
Your comment is correctly edited thus:
"You mean my mistake? Thanks, it's noted; such will be avoided next time".
Re: 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) by veekae: 10:53pm On Oct 23, 2017
Too bad
We cant get this anytime again as the naira was much more stronger then compared to now thanks to poor economic strategy and management of our current "looders"
Re: 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) by mechanics(m): 11:20pm On Oct 23, 2017
lolz, times has changed na.
Re: 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) by cooltola(m): 12:15am On Oct 24, 2017
besides back then N5 was not too small
Re: 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) by OGHENAOGIE(m): 12:23am On Oct 24, 2017
ollah1:
I tell people that military is better for Africa than democracy but they argue unnecessarily. African especially Nigeria doesn't deserve democracy
sharap which military d ones dat damage us institutionaly
Re: 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) by Nobody: 12:37am On Oct 24, 2017
andymofia:
So I bumped into some old school fees reciept as far back as 1985 and 1986.

1985 School Fees for second term was N7 (Seven Naira) while third term was N10 (Ten naira)

Exam Fee was N5 (five naira) in 1986

On the average today, Primary School Fee is not less than N20,000. Correct me if am wrong.

Zootropolis.
Re: 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) by Lekan111(m): 7:09am On Oct 24, 2017
Egein:

Even this retort is full of 'mistakes'. Learn to begin a sentence with a Sentence (upper) Case. Learn to use punctuations too.
Thanks, it's noted; lesson learnt.

1 Like

Re: 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) by aduje(m): 7:22am On Oct 24, 2017
God Bless Late Ambrose Alli of blessed memory. Though the military government then headed by GMB suffocated and truncated his life, though both Edo and Delta State of today never celebrated him. The truth is that he was a good ambassador and had education for the masses as part of his heart beat.

This payment receipt reminds me of my early years of life. In the then Bendel state, I enjoyed free education (100%) including books, stationeries, desk and chairs, feeding (though not every day), free uniforms etc all through my primary school time. GOD BLESS AMBROSE ALLI.

He was the brain behind the then Bendel State University (now AAU and also DELSU).

1 Like

Re: 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) by toprealman: 7:51am On Oct 24, 2017
folashade96:
We need more topics like this. I have been having a really bad day and it's good to take my mind off things talking about the stuff that interests me
Selfish you......me,me,me! what about others
Re: 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) by andymofia(m): 8:05am On Oct 24, 2017

Egein:

Lekan111:
Thanks, it's noted; lesson learnt.

Good job guys. I love the conversation.

1 Like

Re: 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) by alaskido(m): 12:04pm On Oct 24, 2017
As @ that time that N10 was very big money o. To get it na wahala. If you lost that kind of money, you will cry wella.
Re: 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) by ofuonyebi: 1:03pm On Oct 24, 2017
1985 school fees and today, is like 6&7...don't 4get that to get #5 then was like climbing mount Kilimanjaro!

today, pry schl pupil take up to #200 or #500 or more to school for just taxi and to buy interesting chop chop..!
Re: 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) by OCTAVO: 2:56pm On Oct 24, 2017
First class private primary school I attended in mid 80s collected N18 as school fee.

Early 90s, secondary school school fee (public school) was N65.
Re: 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) by olmoRoc: 3:41pm On Oct 24, 2017
kolaish:
OP, I DON'T REALLY KNOW THE PARTICULAR STATE WHERE YOU GOT THIS FROM BECAUSE EDUCATION WERE FREE IN THE WESTERN STATE THEN AS INTRODUCED BY UPN; I KNOW AND STILL REMEMBER THAT AMBROSE ALI WAS THE GOVERNOR OF BENDEL STATE THEN. THE ONLY MONEY WE PAID THEN WAS FOR OUR WAEC WHICH IS N38.

I FINISHED SECONDARY SCHOOL IN THE EARLY 80s IN IBADAN AND I CAN TELL YOU THAT THE ONLY PRIVATE SECONDARY SCHOOL THAT I KNOW IN THE WHOLE OF IBADAN IS INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL IBADAN. ALMOST ALL SCHOOL THEN WERE PUBLIC SCHOOLS WITH GOOD QUALITY EDUCATION. OUR MATHS AND ENGLISH TEACHER THEN WERE FROM GHANA WHILE OUR FRENCH TEACHER IS FROM TOGO, MOST OF OUR NIGERIAN TEACHERS WERE WELL QUALIFIED TO TEACH THEIR VARIOUS SUBJECTS.

Present day Edo/Delta States. Tuition fees were introduced by your current president during his fist coming. I was in primary school then.
Re: 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) by kolaish(m): 4:03pm On Oct 24, 2017
olmoRoc:

Present day Edo/Delta States. Tuition fees were introduced by your current president during his fist coming. I was in primary school then.
You may be right about edo state. I finished secondary in 83 and know that free education still lasted till around 87 in oyo state.
Re: 1985 Average Primary School Fees Was N10 (ten Naira) by olmoRoc: 1:17pm On Oct 25, 2017
kolaish:
You may be right about edo state. I finished secondary in 83 and know that free education still lasted till around 87 in oyo state.

I was in primary 6 during the coup, and free education was abolished immediately in Bendel State (present day Edo and Delta States). Useni was the military administrator.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

List Of State Universities In Nigeria / Branches Of Jamb Office To Get Your Change Of Institution/course Form / Maduka University College Enugu Is Currently Admitting Jss 1,2 And SS 1 Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.