Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,238 members, 7,822,226 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:41 AM

Do You Understand Oracle Java's Licensing? Please Help! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Do You Understand Oracle Java's Licensing? Please Help! (964 Views)

My 'LFC191: Open Source Licensing Basics For Software Developers' — Certificate / Oracle Or Cisco Or Java / Java EE Developer And Spring Developer In Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Understand Oracle Java's Licensing? Please Help! by Olyboy16(m): 10:49pm On Oct 24, 2017
Hello Gentlemen(mostly gurus), i'm currently developing software for structural analysis and design (engineering stuff) and i've gone a long way into developing the software in java before realizing oracle's sneaky licensing agreements; and the software is enterprise - to be sold commercially.
now i'm thinking of converting over 3000 lines of code to Qt and C++ in order to avoid Oracle's future paycheck; but before then, i wana make sure i'm not wasting my precious time at that. so i'm asking if anyone understands oracle's licensing terms so much that they can shed more light on this topic. your help will be really appreciated Sirs!
Re: Do You Understand Oracle Java's Licensing? Please Help! by Nobody: 11:07pm On Oct 24, 2017
Olyboy16:
Hello Gentlemen(mostly gurus), i'm currently developing software for structural analysis and design (engineering stuff) and i've gone a long way into developing the software in java before realizing oracle's sneaky licensing agreements; and the software is enterprise - to be sold commercially.
now i'm thinking of converting over 3000 lines of code to Qt and C++ in order to avoid Oracle's future paycheck; but before then, i wana make sure i'm not wasting my precious time at that. so i'm asking if anyone understands oracle's licensing terms so much that they can shed more light on this topic. your help will be really appreciated Sirs!

I am going to be honest, your best bet is Reddit, this is beyond the typical crud app scenario NL is used to, the commercial aspect is tricky, I know Qt too has some form of license to it, the reason i mentioned Reddit is because there will be someone who went through what you did.
Re: Do You Understand Oracle Java's Licensing? Please Help! by Olyboy16(m): 11:22pm On Oct 24, 2017
Re: Do You Understand Oracle Java's Licensing? Please Help! by Olyboy16(m): 11:23pm On Oct 24, 2017
pcguru1:

I am going to be honest, your best bet is Reddit, this is beyond the typical crud app scenario NL is used to, the commercial aspect is tricky, I know Qt too has some form of license to it, the reason i mentioned Reddit is because there will be someone who went through what you did.
thanks sire, Qt does too, Qt clearly specifies the non GPL parts of its products unlike those guys at oracle.
i'll probably just go on with the migration for now, though java has been really amazing. thanks, i'll reach out to dudes on reddit too by God's Grace.

(1) (Reply)

How To Install Android SDK And Android Studio 2018. / Malvertising: Why Cryptocurrency Miner On Android Are Dangerous / Good With Mysql?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.