Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,340 members, 7,811,987 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:51 AM

Change Of Career - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Change Of Career (967 Views)

Change Of Bank Account Phone Number / I'm Considering A Change Of My Nairaland Username / We Need A Change Of Moderator Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Change Of Career by babajeje123(m): 9:46am On Dec 19, 2017
Please, I need professional advice.

I've been in teaching profession for 10 years but I want to call it a quit in 2018. The reason for this decision is apart from the fact that the remuneration is not encouraging, it is not also challenging-it doesn't stretch me as I desire.

I had first degree in Computer Engineering and I will be rounding up my masters in Information Technology next year. I have almost equal affinity for some IT aspects but I know I need to specialize. My interest are in Programming (I've learned C, Python and java. I found java most difficult and interesting), Networking and Web Development (I really don't like this save for quick money its knowledge can give) and database (I like sql).

Please, I need professionals in these fields to help me highlight the benefits and challenges of each of them and also, what I need to do to attain their zenith of whichever one I settle for.
Re: Change Of Career by TheTechMan: 6:42pm On Dec 19, 2017
It's a wise decision to stop teaching and focus on one IT career option. Going into teaching after graduating with a bsc degree in computer science /engineering is a waste of time in my opinion. The world revolves around ICT now especially web and app programming. A wise IT person should not be wasting time teaching theory in a school but rather developing critical skills and creating solutions in the IT industry proper. If one is going to teach at all it should be based on part time while concentrating more on one's chosen IT path. My opinion is that in 2018, you should concentrate on establishing yourself in your desired IT career path. Maybe you should go with web/software development since that's the reigning thing. My thoughts.

1 Like

Re: Change Of Career by raymod170(m): 7:25pm On Dec 19, 2017
TheTechMan:
It's a wise decision to stop teaching and focus on one IT career option. Going into teaching after graduating with a bsc degree in computer science /engineering is a waste of time in my opinion. The world revolves around ICT now especially web and app programming. A wise IT person should not be wasting time teaching theory in a school but rather developing critical skills and creating solutions in the IT industry proper. If one is going to teach at all it should be based on part time while concentrating more in one's chosen IT path. My opinion is that in 2018, you should concentrate on establishing yourself in your desired IT career path. Maybe you should go with web/software development since that's the reigning thing. My thoughts.

You took the words out of my mouth
Blessup
Re: Change Of Career by babajeje123(m): 6:15am On Dec 20, 2017
TheTechMan:
It's a wise decision to stop teaching and focus on one IT career option. Going into teaching after graduating with a bsc degree in computer science /engineering is a waste of time in my opinion. The world revolves around ICT now especially web and app programming. A wise IT person should not be wasting time teaching theory in a school but rather developing critical skills and creating solutions in the IT industry proper. If one is going to teach at all it should be based on part time while concentrating more on one's chosen IT path. My opinion is that in 2018, you should concentrate on establishing yourself in your desired IT career path. Maybe you should go with web/software development since that's the reigning thing. My thoughts.
Thank you so much

(1) (Reply)

Lets Create An IT Community ($_post['PortHarcourt-Residents']); / Medical Device Software Product Development / Advice Needed!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.