Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,223 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:51 AM

Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. - Autos (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. (34915 Views)

Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? / Please Share Your Experience From Buying A Car From Auction Export / 2004 TOYOTA COROLLA SPORT For Sale Juwt 2months Used Car Still Smells Toks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by jeraw: 11:32am On Nov 08, 2017
Haba, daddy Gazzuzz, that blow is not born again oo. Remember Proverbs 19:11b. my own two cowries
GAZZUZZ:

1 Like

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:53am On Nov 10, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
We talked about sludge before and how it affects the engine, now lets talk about the engine.

Before we do let me state a few facts.

1. That an engine had been previously dissasembled does not make it bad.

2. That a head gasket had been changed from stock steel type to composite graphite does not make it bad.

3. That the mating parts of an engine has residue of our generic silicone gum on its surfaces does not make it a bad engine.

More details tomorrow when I have pics to explain further.
Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:19am On Nov 10, 2017
Red flags to look our for in an engine when buying a car.

Preferably do not rush to start engine, check engine oil level via dipstick, if engine oil colour is very new, be careful! Engine might have been recently rebuilt. Most people who want to sell their cars, do not bother with engine oil changes, and just want to sell of and allow new user do the needful.

Engine oil level should preferably be close to the upper mark on the dipstick, if on the lower mark, engine is either burning oil or leaking oil.

Oil colour should not be black, this signifies abuse by user or a sludge buildup or oil burn.
Engine oil colours to look out for are clear, brown, honey gold, dark brown.

Try and avoid black.

Next do a visual inspection of engine, look out for fresh silicone gum.

When engines are built stock, there is a particular colour/weight of silicone gasket maker used on mating surfaces.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/6233514_img20171106142931_jpeg0f50b2a0e57bbbb3b12afec76c8210bd

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6233515_img20171106142942_jpeg2c871e3d1e304f20cdc615a3327149a8

When engine is brand new, colour is off-white / light grey.

Now what you are looking out for is stock silicone over flow from oil pan, timing chain cover, and possible oil pump areas if visible.

In this part of the world we do not have easy access to same type of factory silicone used so if engine has been worked on in the past, you might get to see colours like black, blue, clear, white...... if you find this on areas like timing chain cover, engine oil pan, it signifies previous work on engine.

Also look out for no silicone cheesy. Sounds funny, but yes. When working some technicians clean off excess flow of silicone after it cures, giving a better aesthetic look. No silicone on mating surface means engine was worked on previously.

Samples engine with previous work
www.nairaland.com/attachments/6233555_img20171109125131_jpeg238bab782d37106ef0072e0d23f66344

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6233549_img20171109130341_jpeg036cf61c0d9ced210aaa33fcef65cf90

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6233554_img20171109130332_jpeg01bc0b8683b039465f9d45f7bef6d984

Next inspect the head gasket...

All engines leave the factory with steel type head gasket. It is extremely flat and made out of metal.

In most cases when an engine is rebuilt or if it suffers overheating, the gasket is replaced with composite type, usually made from graphite. This gasket is thicker and can be easily identified.

Next inspect for engine oil leaks....

Some oil leaks are expected in high mileage engines, from valve cover gaskets and oil seals. But the cost of fixing a oil leaks vary. While it might cost you about 5k for a valve cover oil leak and take about 30mins to replace on a 4cylinder, a crankshaft oil leak coming from the flywheel area of a V8 will require and engine drop and might cost you over 50,000 in labour costs grin so it is essential to avoid the costly leaks wink

Let me also mention that finding transmission oil leaks from flywheel area in this part of the world is a death sentence to the transmission (Gearbox) as only a few people I know can source the correct parts and install torque converter seals properly.

Next look out for different colours......

When an engine leaves the factory (most recent full aluminium engines) they look like this.....www.nairaland.com/attachments/6233574_img20170928184845_jpeg6d3a042b41f9f3ff39cd15999fc3a8af www.nairaland.com/attachments/6233577_img20170928184756_jpeg5bf247ce91cff4ddd1b5fc3fef7cb4a0 www.nairaland.com/attachments/6233581_img20170928184940_jpeg2470277a196c77495270251720108061

Not every engine is made of aluminium, some have steel/cast block engines and aluminium tops.

Now when inspecting and you find one part newer than the other, it signifies a part was replaced. It is normal to replace a defective part, e.g starter motor, water pump, p/s pump, alternator... but when the timing chain cover is newer than the cylinder, or the cylinder is newer than the aluminium block, then a serious operation took place in the life of the vehicle. If she's been bleaching, don't take her home wink

Next check coolant level and type......

If water is used, owner is not the careful type, not a death sentence, but better if you observe coloured coolant.

If coolant or water is below normal level in the radiator, there is a problem, there might be a leak or engine burning coolant wink.

Next open boot and go through all the stuff in it, it most times reveals the life support vehicle gets grin

Let me explain further...

If you find cans of brake oil, powersteering oil, engine oil, small keg of water, sparkplugs, coils, ATF.... it is either owner meticulously keeps them for just in case, or na daily topping ritual wink

Now time to start the engine............

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:16pm On Nov 10, 2017
somone viewing this thread called and asked an important question about gaskets.

Question was if you cannot see the gasket, how would you know if it is metal type or composite graphite type.

Example

These 2 engines are k24 engines, 1 for a CRV 2002-05 the other for an accord 03-7. One has a replaced Gasket with composite type graphite, while the other is still stock, note the difference in gaps between cylinder and block.

Stock metal type gasket
www.nairaland.com/attachments/6237728_img20171110101905_jpeg0a2e4955b25de32250307f1af4861e89

Graphite gasket.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6237737_img20171110101854_jpeg3bd27cc31f526383df7e5637e49c6cea

I hope this answers you question sir.

Now lets start the engine.

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by digitalheadline(m): 12:08am On Nov 11, 2017
Thanks for this thread, it is so helpful. I intend buying a Chevrolet Aveo 2009 and attached is the picture of the engine shared. Please oga Gazzuzz, I will like you to help use your technical eyes to analyse the engine and also share your view on the brand of the car. Thanks.

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by Nobody: 12:28pm On Nov 11, 2017
digitalheadline:
Thanks for this thread, it is so helpful. I intend buying a Chevrolet Aveo 2009 and attached is the picture of the engine shared. Please oga Gazzuzz, I will like you to help use your technical eyes to analyse the engine and also share your view on the brand of the car. Thanks.
Call him up for a physical exam!

1 Like

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by t33why: 2:10pm On Nov 11, 2017
digitalheadline:
even the !manufacturer of that engine cannot do any technical anything based on that pinshure

2 Likes

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by digitalheadline(m): 3:21pm On Nov 11, 2017
t33why:

even the !manufacturer of that engine cannot do any technical anything based on that pinshure
Lol....But what is ur view as regards a Chevrolet car?
Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by adanny01(m): 3:46pm On Nov 11, 2017
One major issue i find with most buys of ignorant buyers is listening for engine noise, either crankshaft or camshaft.

The noise cannot be masked on cold start but when its hot, it tends to be quiet especially on idle.

Please highlight more on this.
Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:51pm On Nov 12, 2017
adanny01:
One major issue i find with most buys of ignorant buyers is listening for engine noise, either crankshaft or camshaft.

The noise cannot be masked on cold start but when its hot, it tends to be quiet especially on idle.

Please highlight more on this.

we are getting there soon. Yet to start the engine. wink
Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by debawilliam1: 10:34pm On Nov 12, 2017
@GAZZUZZ, God bless you. never met or called you but your post have been a great help
Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:38am On Nov 13, 2017
Starting up the engine....

This is preferably a 2 man job.

Sit inside the car and watch the oil pressure warning light while listening attentively to any strange metal grinding sounds.

with engine started engine oil pressure warning light should be off in 2sec max, there should also be no rattling sounds that disappear after 5-10secs.

There might be a little tapping sounds from the valve area. (due to valve clearance/wrong oil weights)

Now the second person should check for bluish white smoke upon startup, that might indicate worn valve stem seals.

Also stick your finger in the tail pipe if it comes out greasy and oily it indicates oil burn.

If it comes out very dark, engine burns fuel excessively.

If it comes out clean/very light brown emmissions are fair.

More tips soon....

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by Nobody: 10:55am On Nov 13, 2017
Gazzuzzscammer:
Thief
What has Gazzuzz done to warrant this. In as much as I call a spade a spade ... I don't appreciate unwarranted attacks and name calling .... Please substantiate your allegations or forever remain quiet!
Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by Nobody: 11:06am On Nov 13, 2017
Gazzuzzscammer:

Gazzuzz ps do not mention me with ur alternate moniker
I am flattered...

Cc
Ishilove it's going down here... Gazzuzz getting whooped.
Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by Ishilove: 11:55am On Nov 13, 2017
Gazzuzzscammer:
Thief
You're a coward. Use your main moniker and stop casting aspersions on a hardworking businessman.

6 Likes

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by Nobody: 12:19pm On Nov 13, 2017
Ishilove:

You're a coward. Use your main moniker and stop casting aspersions on a hardworking businessman.
Exactly.

1 Like

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:37pm On Nov 13, 2017
I am tryin to educate potential car buyers and a Car dealer is derailing...... quite sad.

12 Likes

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by thebigkendo(m): 2:05pm On Nov 13, 2017
Next open boot and go through all the stuff in it, it most times reveals the life support vehicle gets grin

Let me explain further...

If you find cans of brake oil, powersteering oil, engine oil, small keg of water, sparkplugs, coils, ATF.... it is either owner meticulously keeps them for just in case, or na daily topping ritual wink

Now they will start removing the kpangolo from the boot embarassed embarassed embarassed

11 Likes

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by Ishilove: 3:40pm On Nov 13, 2017
GAZZUZZSCAMMER2:

I promise I will grin but only wen ur scam Oga gazzuzz starts his own main monikers too
Until you can provide evidences of his alleged scam deals, what you are doing remains spineless, cowardly playground name calling and mudslinging. You cannot come online to start calling people names for no apparent reason, for the sole reason of painting his name black because of perceived hurt.

You sound like a pained child. Grow up and sort your personal issues with him like a man and not through some secondary-school style attack online.

Mynd44, Dominique, rule 8.

3 Likes

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by Ishilove: 3:41pm On Nov 13, 2017
GAZZUZZSCAMMER2:
Pay d scammer 10k for inspection
So where and when did he scam you?

Stop being evil. It will bring you only misery

1 Like

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by Ishilove: 3:42pm On Nov 13, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
I am tryin to educate potential car buyers and a Car dealer is derailing...... quite sad.

Who is this agbaya car dealer?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Anambra's First Automated Vehicle Inspection Center Commissioned By Obiano (Pics / Selling Your Car Is Easy With Carxus! / Rki Autos - ***Buying Cars From The USA Made Easy***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.