Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,748 members, 7,817,064 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:37 AM

UK Is Most Corrupt Country In The World, Says Mafia Expert Roberto Saviano - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / UK Is Most Corrupt Country In The World, Says Mafia Expert Roberto Saviano (988 Views)

Sicilian Mafia: Matteo Denaro Dies At 61 / Matteo Messina: Italy's Most Wanted Mafia Boss Arrested After 30 yrs On The Run / Italian Minister, Matteo Salvini, Tweet On ‘Nigerian Mafia Arrests’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Is Most Corrupt Country In The World, Says Mafia Expert Roberto Saviano by centvin008(m): 7:05am On Oct 29, 2017
UK is most corrupt country in the world, says mafia expert Roberto Saviano

'It’s not the bureaucracy, it’s not the police, it’s not the politics but what is corrupt is the financial capital'

Britain is the most corrupt country in the world, according to journalist Roberto Saviano, who spent more than a decade exposing the criminal dealings of the Italian Mafia.

Mr Saviano, who wrote the best-selling exposés Gomorrah and ZeroZeroZero, made the comments at the Hay Literary Festival. The 36-year-old has been living under police protection since publishing revelations about members of the Camorra, a powerful Neapolitan branch of the mafia, in 2006.

He told an audience at Hay-on-Wye: “If I asked you what is the most corrupt place on Earth you might tell me well it’s Afghanistan, maybe Greece, Nigeria, the South of Italy and I will tell you it’s the UK.
It’s not the bureaucracy, it’s not the police, it’s not the politics but what is corrupt is the financial capital. 90 per cent of the owners of capital in London have their headquarters offshore.

“Jersey and the Cayman’s are the access gates to criminal capital in Europe and the UK is the country that allows it. That is why it is important why it is so crucial for me to be here today and to talk to you because I want to tell you , this is about you, this is about your life, this is about your government.”
Prime minister David Cameron faced growing calls for the UK to reform the offshore tax havens operating on its own Crown Dependencies and Overseas Territories, as Britain hosted an Anti-Corruption Summit earlier this month.
The UK ranked 10th in Transparency International’s Corruption Perceptions Index 2015, which measures the perceived levels of public sector corruption worldwide.

Mr Saviano also weighed in on the EU referendum debate, arguing a vote to leave would make the UK even more exposed to the organised crime.
He said: “Leaving the EU means allowing this to take place. It means allowing the Qatari societies, the Mexican cartels, the Russian Mafia to gain even more power and HSBC has paid £2 billion Euros in fines to the US government, because it confessed that it had laundered money coming from the cartels and the Iranian companies. We have proof, we have evidence.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/roberto-saviano-britain-corrupt-mafia-hay-festival-a7054851.html

Re: UK Is Most Corrupt Country In The World, Says Mafia Expert Roberto Saviano by ceezarhh(m): 7:08am On Oct 29, 2017
it's obvious he hasn't been to Nigeria... FTC by the way...
Re: UK Is Most Corrupt Country In The World, Says Mafia Expert Roberto Saviano by Yameater(m): 7:11am On Oct 29, 2017
Interesting
Re: UK Is Most Corrupt Country In The World, Says Mafia Expert Roberto Saviano by Yameater(m): 7:12am On Oct 29, 2017
ceezarhh:
it's obvious he hasn't been to Nigeria... FTC by the way...
Are you sure you are N O R M A L?

1 Like

Re: UK Is Most Corrupt Country In The World, Says Mafia Expert Roberto Saviano by oz4real83(m): 7:13am On Oct 29, 2017
100% true! More than 80% of corruption proceeds from Nigeria land in the uk by way of real estate investments or into their banking sector. Same with corruption proceeds from other countries. The uk is as culpable as the corrupt officials!

2 Likes

Re: UK Is Most Corrupt Country In The World, Says Mafia Expert Roberto Saviano by ceezarhh(m): 7:15am On Oct 29, 2017
Yameater:
Are you sure you are N O R M A L?
what's your definition of "normal" sir?
Re: UK Is Most Corrupt Country In The World, Says Mafia Expert Roberto Saviano by Yameater(m): 7:19am On Oct 29, 2017
ceezarhh:
what's your definition of "normal" sir?

I DON’T KNOW.
How dare you comment before me and won FTC prize ? HOW DARE YOU ?
Re: UK Is Most Corrupt Country In The World, Says Mafia Expert Roberto Saviano by ceezarhh(m): 7:25am On Oct 29, 2017
Yameater:

I DON’T KNOW.
How dare you comment before me and won FTC prize ? HOW DARE YOU ?
lol...so there's a prize?...never knew...let me go and redeem my "prize" from Seun then...
Re: UK Is Most Corrupt Country In The World, Says Mafia Expert Roberto Saviano by Yameater(m): 7:27am On Oct 29, 2017
ceezarhh:
lol...so there's a prize?...never knew...let me go and redeem my "prize" from Seun then...

Don’t you dare touch the prize. Just jejeli delete your comment for me to be the FTC. Simple as ABC
Re: UK Is Most Corrupt Country In The World, Says Mafia Expert Roberto Saviano by ceezarhh(m): 7:32am On Oct 29, 2017
Yameater:

Don’t you dare touch the prize. Just jejeli delete your comment for me to be the FTC. Simple as ABC
tranquilize!...

Re: UK Is Most Corrupt Country In The World, Says Mafia Expert Roberto Saviano by Yameater(m): 7:36am On Oct 29, 2017
ceezarhh:
tranquilize!...
Please break it down
Re: UK Is Most Corrupt Country In The World, Says Mafia Expert Roberto Saviano by phoexix: 7:52am On Oct 29, 2017
Noted
Re: UK Is Most Corrupt Country In The World, Says Mafia Expert Roberto Saviano by ceezarhh(m): 8:04am On Oct 29, 2017
Yameater:
Please break it down
calm down!...let's not derail the thread
Re: UK Is Most Corrupt Country In The World, Says Mafia Expert Roberto Saviano by ibkayee(f): 9:48am On Oct 29, 2017
Title is misleading since it's only factoring in the financial sector, it's corrupt but it can never be the 'most' when countries like Nigeria, Somalia, Venezuela etc. exist. Maybe the most corrupt of the least corrupt countries in the world lol
Re: UK Is Most Corrupt Country In The World, Says Mafia Expert Roberto Saviano by aminu790(m): 6:01pm On Oct 29, 2017
shocked shocked shocked
Re: UK Is Most Corrupt Country In The World, Says Mafia Expert Roberto Saviano by ifyan(m): 7:38pm On Oct 29, 2017
oz4real83:
100% true! More than 80% of corruption proceeds from Nigeria land in the uk by way of real estate investments or into their banking sector. Same with corruption proceeds from other countries. The uk is as culpable as the corrupt officials!

But at least for the development of the nation if African nation should try this believe me.you wouldn't lament the conditions we pass through.

(1) (Reply)

Photos As Mugabe's Body Arrives Zimbabwe, Set For Burial / 7 FAKE NEWS Stories Coming Out Of Ukraine / Putin's Army Is 'weak, On The Run And Has Just Two Weeks Of Fighting Left In It'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.