Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,233 members, 7,829,423 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:36 AM

7 FAKE NEWS Stories Coming Out Of Ukraine - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / 7 FAKE NEWS Stories Coming Out Of Ukraine (997 Views)

Hundreds Arrested As Russians Protest Invasion Of Ukraine (Pictures) / 150 Russian Officials Condemn Putin's Invasion Of Ukraine In Open Letter / Trump: Biden Only Won In The Eyes Of Fake News Media. I Concede Nothing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 FAKE NEWS Stories Coming Out Of Ukraine by rottennaija(m): 9:01am On Mar 02, 2022

We’re only three days into Russia’s military operation in Ukraine, and yet the propaganda cogs are whirring fast as lightning, churning out “news”, opinion and content grist for the media mill.

In just the last 48 hours dozens of stories, images, narratives and videos have circulated as being taken from the fighting in Ukraine, a huge percentage of which are fake.

Now, some of it could be attributed to misunderstandings, mistaken identity, misattribution…but many and most are likely deliberate deceptions designed to provoke a response. Let’s dive right in.

1. “THE GHOST OF KIEV”

2. “RUSSIAN PLANES FLYING OVER KIEV”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQkO5XsQMag

3. “ZELENSKIY VISITING THE TROOPS”
https://off-guardian.org/wp-content/medialibrary/zelenskiy-donbass-april-2021.jpg

4. “LUHANSK POWER STATION EXPLOSION”

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 FAKE NEWS Stories Coming Out Of Ukraine by rottennaija(m): 9:01am On Mar 02, 2022
5. VIDEO GAMES. AGAIN.

6. “RUSSIAN WARSHIP GO Bleep YOURSELF

7. SYRIAN DRONE STRIKES FOOTAGE

It’s actually footage of a Turkish drone strike in Syria from 2020.

Meanwhile, other accounts were sharing footage of combat from Libya or Israeli bombardments of Gaza under the hashtag #StandWithUkraine. Middle East Eye has compiled a list.

It’s somewhat beautiful irony that so many of the clips prompting outrage in Western liberals actually come from wars their governments started.

There we have it, seven stories about the war in Ukraine that are demonstrably fake, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

There’s tons of other fakes out there, not to mention fakes of fakes designed to discredit doubters or just spread chaos.

Ultimately, it’s all a timely reminder that propaganda is at its most potent at times where the news is moving fast and people are feeling emotional.

That is WHY the media whips up fear, anxiety and hatred, because people in that emotional state are less likely to think critically.

It should go without saying that this is equally true for both sides. We shouldn’t blindly accept claims from the Russian side, simply because we know NATO lies. Both sides propagandize, and one-eyed scepticism is only a different kind of bias.

In short, if you see something designed to provoke an emotional reaction, don’t let it. Never get swept along in the narrative, always hold yourself back, keep calm and ask rational questions.

Withhold belief, demand facts. It’s the only way to keep your mind free.

Or, to quote HL Mencken:

Never believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see.”

3 Likes

Re: 7 FAKE NEWS Stories Coming Out Of Ukraine by rottennaija(m): 9:01am On Mar 02, 2022
Re: 7 FAKE NEWS Stories Coming Out Of Ukraine by Prosperous111(m): 9:07am On Mar 02, 2022
For where you see this update OP?

We don't know who to believe now oh

People wey dey war front dey update us as the thing dey go but Dem analyst wey dey Nigeria dey tell us say nah lie grin

Ghost of Kiev exist because I watched the video on the first day of attacks. How do I even know that's true self sad
Re: 7 FAKE NEWS Stories Coming Out Of Ukraine by Oduduwatic: 9:14am On Mar 02, 2022
Tell us also the number of Ukrainian men who were lured to die in battle field believing these western fake news.

6 Likes

Re: 7 FAKE NEWS Stories Coming Out Of Ukraine by heniford2: 9:18am On Mar 02, 2022
So many fake stuff starting from CNn and sunnews and etc media can really provoke a serious war undecided

6 Likes

Re: 7 FAKE NEWS Stories Coming Out Of Ukraine by vibre: 9:46am On Mar 02, 2022
You didn't add the one of the little girl challenging russian troops. The crazy propaganda being carried by the ukrainians and western media is unbelievable and what is more unbelievable is how many dumb people we have in this world who actually believe those crap stories.

6 Likes

Re: 7 FAKE NEWS Stories Coming Out Of Ukraine by rottennaija(m): 9:48am On Mar 02, 2022
vibre:
You didn't add the one of the little girl challenging russian troops. The crazy propaganda being carried by the ukrainians and western media is unbelievable and what is more unbelievable is how many dumb people we have in this world who actually believe those crap stories.

Yes. It was not part of the news article from the source I posted from.

1 Like

Re: 7 FAKE NEWS Stories Coming Out Of Ukraine by rottennaija(m): 9:51am On Mar 02, 2022
Prosperous111:

People wey dey war front dey update us as the thing dey go but Dem analyst wey dey Nigeria dey tell us say nah lie grin

Ghost of Kiev exist because I watched the video on the first day of attacks. How do I even know that's true self sad
grin

See it takes a sound mind but it can be done. I watch CNN, BBC, RT American, watch YouTube of independent sources and analysis (all of these Americans)

Then there are telegram groups and twitter groups

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 FAKE NEWS Stories Coming Out Of Ukraine by rottennaija(m): 12:59pm On Mar 02, 2022
Prosperous111:

Try watch this to end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zXeIBIpXfc

Starts from around 52mins
Re: 7 FAKE NEWS Stories Coming Out Of Ukraine by Nobody: 3:28pm On Mar 02, 2022
rottennaija:

Try watch this to end
https://youtu.be/5zXeIBIpXfci

Starts from around 52mins

The Pilot Ghost of Kiev exists, But the video associated with it is fake.

(1) (Reply)

UKRAINE War And Global Reset / US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi Pays A Surprise Visit To Ukraine / NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.