Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,213 members, 7,811,584 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:06 PM

My Police Story - Worth Reading - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Police Story - Worth Reading (524 Views)

This Is People Are Now My Police - Dino Melaye (VIDEO) / Goodluck Jonathan Thought Provoking Comments About BIAFRA. It's Worth Reading / Worth Reading (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Police Story - Worth Reading by Gentlebabs(m): 9:23am On Oct 29, 2017
For the love of NPF, I share this because Police is my friend.

Last week Sunday (22/10/17) on my way to Church, as we approached the toll Nigeria towards the Airport, we saw a vehicle that was about to be towed. Looking further, we realised the Occupants of the vehicle unknowingly took "One Way", which is dangerous and a serious offence in Lagos especially. I asked to get down from the vehicle, approached the peope to get a vivid picture of what happened, the OC that apprehended them. I moved straight to the Officer-In-Charge, introduced myself as A FRIEND OF THE POLICE, proved my claim to them them for clarity. You will not believe what happened, the Office-In-Charge just asked the OC that apprehended the Car to return the keys and allow them go. Oh! I felt like huggimg them all for granting me that honour.

Now, the lesson is, i realised that Police Officers are first human beings like you and i. They are parents and have responsibilities first to their family then us. While we are in the cossyness of our beds, travelling to Disneyland, Paris and all the beautiful cities of the world in our dreamworld, they are out their prorecting us in the cold. Just imagine if the Police have to go on strike for just one week! Have we ever voluntarily shown them appreciation, support and encouragement even in monetary terms for coffee or pure water?

Police officers have a right to stop you and proceed with searching on the grounds of reasonable suspicion, afterall, advanced criminals are usually well clad to deceive suspecting officers. I am very grateful to Inspector Olabisi Oduroye of the Railway Police Command (Bravo) et al, for helping me unlearn what i have learnt to better understand thw psychology of our Police Officers. It ia not enough to be Educationally intelligent, younhavr to also be street smart and drop your pride when you see Police Officers, they are the reason you and i can go to bed and sleep soundly. They are the reason we can allow our children travel far and wide, with the believe that the roads will be well manned by these Gallant Officers.

When a Police Officer approaches you, smile, listen to them and co-operate, afterall they are not witches or wizards. They probably have information to clear the place of criminals and vandals, they have information you are not privy to because it is on a "NEED TO KNOW" Basis. When you get stopped, please stop, so that what happened in 1932 will not repeat itself. Don't start with "Do you know who i am", expect the place you are going to is not time-bound. Consider starting with "Good morning Officer, How is your family? Thank you for the good job you guys are doing". If eventually they ask you to follow them to their Station, please do, and call your Lawyer in their presence, using only friendly and courteous tonality. Please note, not all Police Officers are corrupt as you think because it is not all the Prophets in Egypt that has bowed to Baal. Do you know that the NPF is not the most corrupt Government Para-Military ARM in Nigeria, if you are to judge by bribe? Have you ever considered how much bribe some enemies of state pay to bring in fake drugs, expired food items, illegal arms, injurious Turkeys and Chickens. They say corruption has been enshrined in our fabric as Nigerians. Do you know that if you are supposed to be at am agreed place for 9am and you get there by 9.10am you are corrupt? Before you label the NPF as the most corrupt, think about the above.

This week, please show some love. When you approach a Police Checkpoint, stop before you are stopped, walk up to them, smile, appreciate them with kind words and from your wallet, yes vokuntarily from your WALLET, they are really doing a good job. How do you feel when your Boss gives you some huge amount or gift to appreciate you, or when your children gifts you as their Hero or Heroine. Go to that supermarket, get provisions, stop by and give it to that Traffic Officer you have been helping to get you home on time. Buy a phone, give it to a Police Man, pay for their children's school fees as an act of appreciation.

There is a role to play in our multi-ethnic society with over 250 languages to make our Police a better Force, and by extension our society.

Don't forget to share your Police Story with me. I appreciate you foe finding time to read this post. Again, deep appreciation to Officers of the Airport Police Command for taking time to further making us understand the need to do and drive right always. For their understanding and being that part of the Police exhibiting the Change Begins With Me mantra, thank you.

Babatunde Raimi
Author/Life /Coach/Blogger.

Re: My Police Story - Worth Reading by DrGoodman: 9:24am On Oct 29, 2017
My own case is different grin

The first real slap I received as a small boy of 13 years was from a Nigerian policeman. He nearly slapped out my jaw for jumping out of a moving bus when I forgot something at home. What a way to correct a child.

Then policemen arrested me with my cassette which I just bought as a teen. They extorted me and took money from me which made me sour for months.

Policemen so much tormented me while driving my first old jalopy vehicle as they claimed the documents are bad. I had to sell the car after several months of harassment and extortion.

Can I start counting the millions of illegal arrests, the illegal detentions, torture and killing of innocent civilians. Bribery now has a face, it's the face of a black and black wearing policeman on the road.

I pay for my security, employ guards for my house and street, and you still want me to pay school fees for policemen who only looks to extort money from me?

You are not serious.
Re: My Police Story - Worth Reading by Gentlebabs(m): 9:46am On Oct 29, 2017
DrGoodman:
My own case is different grin

The first real slap I received as a small boy of 13 years was from a Nigerian policeman. He nearly slapped out my jaw for jumping out of a moving but when I forgot something at home. What a way to correct a child.

Then policemen arrested me with my cassette which I just bought as a teen. They extorted me and took money from me which made me sour for months.

Policemen so much tormented me while driving my first old jalopy vehicle as they claimed the documents are bad. I had to sell the car after several months of harassment and extortion.

Can I start counting the millions of illegal arrests, the illegal detentions, torture and killing of innocent civilians. Bribery now has a face, it's the face of a black and black wearing policeman on the road.

I pay for my security, employ guards for my house and street, and you still want me to pay school fees for policemen who only looks to extort money from me?

You are not serious.

Their constant exposure to the Civil Populace by nature of their assignment has made them become less appreciated by many of us. I have had my fair share of Police extortion too, but i went back to understand why, which made me a better Citizen. I am not saying they are perfect, just asking us to look beyond their Uniforms. The Force Headquarters are not unaware of all these abuse of power and priviledge, that is why their is a reporting line with email and telephone contacts. Just imagine if the Police have to go on strike for just one week.?
Re: My Police Story - Worth Reading by DanseMacabre(m): 10:28am On Oct 29, 2017
Oga comot for road abeg. After devil na Nigeria police. All this your story na because you never experience them in action. Bunch of goddamned reprobates, the whole lot of them.

Fork the police! angry

1 Like

Re: My Police Story - Worth Reading by Gentlebabs(m): 10:38am On Oct 29, 2017
DanseMacabre:
Oga comot for road abeg. After devil na Nigeria police. All this your story na because you never experience them in action. Bunch of goddamned reprobates, the whole lot of them.

Fork the police! angry
Relax now Bros., we no dey quarel. If you read my post with open mind, you go see say me i don get their experience too.

It is always good to attack issues, not personalities.
Re: My Police Story - Worth Reading by JUSTICE4Nigeria: 10:44am On Oct 29, 2017
POLICE STORY? ARE U OKIRO
Re: My Police Story - Worth Reading by kokoA(m): 11:04am On Oct 29, 2017
Police can never be my friend.. mcheeww. Bunch of heartless criminals.

(1) (Reply)

Restructuring My Foot; Devolution Of Power Not Nigeria’s Problem’ – Gov Shettima / Mr President, Are You Still The Mr Buhari We Voted For? By Seye Ken / N88 Billion War Compensation: Soyinka, Kukah As Writers Of Conscience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.