Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:58 AM

Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. (8735 Views)

How Much Is Shock Absorber / Rattling Sound On My Camry With 2AZFE Engine / My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by seal777(m): 1:37pm On Mar 17, 2010
I use a Camry 99 V6, everything goes well 4 years into its use but the back shock absorber is weak, such that i can’t get a good ride with more than 2 passengers at the back without the body rubbing on the tyres, having changed the tyres to 205/65   15 rim, the tyre on the driver’s side is worst hit with the scenario.

My schedule is a very tight one, so i need your advice on which and how to get a reliable one to change it with and the possible cost of doing so.

I have 2 options: buy a new one or accept the options of some friends to buy a tokunboh cos according to them it works better than the new ones. undecided

Pls advice.
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by KunleA2(m): 1:50pm On Mar 17, 2010
get whatever your money can afford. if you are getting a new one, get it from original MONROE dealer. They shouldn't be hard to find.

4 years is good enough from what you got out of the shocks considering naija roads.

Good luck.
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by Onwan: 5:53pm On Mar 17, 2010
@Seal777
Ladipo will be a good place for you to get a tokumbo shocks. I don't know about the new ones but from my experience - most new parts are like flashes, they simply don't last.

But like Kunle-A has suggested, stick to that brand IF you are buying a new one - my only fear is IF its the real MONROE or the China MONROE (I'm sure even your mechanic might not be able to tell the difference.) If you see the same brand with two prices; then you should buy the higher price - that's likely to be the real one.
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by beecrofty(m): 6:30pm On Mar 17, 2010
@Onwan, higher price doesn't signify the better quality.
Sometimes those ibo bois at ladippo inflate prices so you think its better than the other,
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by Onwan: 6:52pm On Mar 17, 2010
@Beecrofty
I experienced something when trying to get a toks fuel pump; the ones that have been repaired costs less than the fresh toks. You can buy a worked fuel pump for 3,500 (you stand a risk of leakage though), while the straight toks costs 4,500.

I am not sure the same applies to new parts though. I have seen them show me two types of BOSCH spark plugs in the same pack and same electrode type - one was 1,700 per pack and the other was 3,500 per pack.

I think with the fear for return-refund, they generally come straight and tell you the difference. There is too much competition for them to want to mess up their stores.

Maybe because I'm Ibo - they don't wanna mess with the Chief, else we have their families exiled cheesy
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by beecrofty(m): 7:00pm On Mar 17, 2010
Onwan:

@Beecrofty

Maybe because I'm Ibo - they don't wanna mess with the Chief, else we have their families exiled cheesy

That is exactly why they come clean for you, I experience that alot, once you speak a little Ibo to them, they start confessing, lol but if you just stare when they speak their language then you're fried, lol grin grin grin
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by Onwan: 7:03pm On Mar 17, 2010
Maybe you went with a mechanic. Once you enter a store with a mechanic, they make a sign - mostly raising one hand signifying + N500, so anything or any price is "good" with your mechanic.
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by Jucol(m): 10:32am On Mar 18, 2010
@Seal777.

You have gotten the advice on how to procure the shocks. Having done that, you can change the shocks all by yourself if you have time at your disposalsmiley Its easy as 123 grin.DIY( do it yourself),  Buy a Haynes service manual for that car. someone said you could order it for just N2500( though am still skeptical about that price undecided). The manual will help you save a lot of money, and you may not need a mechanic for minor repairs.
Personal l like taking little challenges. Goodluck

Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by seal777(m): 12:43pm On Mar 18, 2010
Big thanks to all who have contributed so far.

Having read all the advices and comments, coupled with my tight schedule, I have decided to take the car to ladipo on Saturday, buy cool what they call a direct Belgium with guarantee (the price is no problem for me but the quality) cos of the fear of buying a fake tagged new.

I will buy and get it fixed on the spot and off I go.

I ve got an OWAMBE PARTY for Saturday which I must not miss grin, care to come jolly with me?
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by sultaan(m): 12:24pm On Mar 19, 2010
Jucol:

@Seal777.

You have gotten the advice on how to procure the shocks. Having done that, you can change the shocks all by yourself if you have time at your disposalsmiley Its easy as 123 grin.DIY( do it yourself), Buy a Haynes service manual for that car. someone said you could order it for just N2500( though am still skeptical about that price undecided). The manual will help you save a lot of money, and you may not need a mechanic for minor repairs.
Personal l like taking little challenges. Goodluck

My mistake the ones I bought for my other cars (american) were cheaper

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?displayName=Manual+-+Vehicle+Maintenance&itemId=108-0&navValue=11200108&parentId=12-0&productId=201311&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=201311_0_0_&filterByKeyWord=manual&categoryNValue=11299999&isSearchByPartNumber=false&categoryDisplayName=Drivetrain&store=917&skuDescription=Haynes/Manual-VehicleMaintenance&fromWhere=&searchText=manual&_requestid=152228

@ poster, I don't think the shocks are your problem, it a combination of shock and coilspring. Ride height in back is low from weak springs, your shocks only soften the jolt of impact. You can compress your shock slowly by hand, but not the spring so your shock is not the part holding the ride height.

Springs price
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsShelf.jsp?displayName=Coil+Spring+-+Rear&currentPage=1&categoryDisplayName=Suspension+%26+Steering&navValue=14600798&itemId=798-0&parentId=46-0

Your shocks might still be good by naija standard, but its you spring thats gone.

You car uses a strut means the spring will have to be removed as part of shock assemble
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by Onwan: 6:39pm On Mar 19, 2010
@Sultaan
At Ladipo and most places, they sell both the shocks and spring together as a package. BUT its cool you've pointed this out so he doesn't leave out any of the two.
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by beecrofty(m): 5:20am On Mar 21, 2010
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by seal777(m): 10:29am On Mar 22, 2010
Thanks a lot for the concern and helpful tips, I was at ladipo to buy the complete shocks and my mechanic fixed it same day.

My observations are as follows:

1. The shocks were good ones compare to the one I removed.
2. The shocks I removed from the car was a bit higher than the ones I fixed in there
3. There was a lift bit not as much as u would want for a car driven on Nigerian road.

I ask my mechanic what type of shocks does most Camry I see on the road with much clearance between the tyres and the car guide uses. He told me there is what they call lifting, detaching a part of the shock by a welder, raising it above the normal level by an inch or two to get more clearance and welding it back to which i blamed him for not informing me before fixing the shocks to avoid double work.

I bought 4 new tyres on Saturday with the hope that fixing the shocks will be all that was needed.

I am still using it like that for now but will definitely take it back by mid week for the shocks to be adjusted as any heavy bump or loading will definitely leave a scratch on the back tyres.
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by cosemiha(m): 10:52am On Mar 22, 2010
Guys,
The summary is that you should go to Ladipo, ask for the section where Toyota parts are sold, the trick is that the tokunboh parts are more resilient than the brand new parts especially when it involves shocks, engine mountings etc, this is because imitations from China constitute the majority of brand new parts,
also, the price range for toyota camry shocks is about 10k for the rear pair, you could get a sincere person who would sell for 8k, i mean for the pair. you should also have the dealer hook you up with his mechanic,, that is if you dont have a mechanic trusted by you, to fix the shocks, check the stablizer linkages if they are still ok, check the number of turns that the shock absorber spring has, if its appropriate for a V6
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by Onwan: 11:09am On Mar 22, 2010
@Poster
Do not let them do any welding there. Let him buy the rubber patches they use for raising cars. I have it on mine - they cost NGN300 for each and measures about 1" or they ask what height adjustment you need.

The welding is not healthy for the shocks at all; what they do is to permanently weld a height measures on the shocks itself.

Please let them buy the rubber patches and install.

1 Like

Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by sultaan(m): 11:52am On Mar 22, 2010
Did they use the old spring or did you compare the old to new before install.
If it was used, you could have replaced a toasted unit with a bad unit.

You could have checked for new parts at dealer or ask one of their employee where to get parts.

Toyota parts are not cheap welcome to used cars. Check for a manufacturer name and part number on your strut and google it.
To know if they sold you the right part.
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by jfking2005(m): 12:29pm On Mar 22, 2010
@c_osemiha (m), @sultaan,

please help too. i used a toyota camry 2001 model.

i noticed one of my back right side always make a very loud noise when entry/jump into even the smallest pot hole.

i showed my mechanic he only felt it by trying to press down the absorber on that back side and told me that the absorber is still good but it was just only a rubber that needed to be change.

i called the attention of a friend mechanic (ANOTHER) to observe too he said it is absorber that it is weak.

but from my own perspective the absorber still stands but i really do not know the rubber my own mechanics talks about that NGN5000 will fix it. while the other said about NGN14000 will be needed to change the absorber completely.

please help before i waste the scare resources.

any good and reasonable response will be highly appreciated.

thanks
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by seal777(m): 1:08pm On Mar 22, 2010
@onwan,
i had my reservations on the welding option cos i know its like adjusting the initial measurement on the shock, its gonna achieve the height but definately have an effect on the balancing of the car.

During the instalation i was the one who did the measurement of the old and the new shocks to detect a slight height difference between the old and the new one.

When i called the attention of the mechanic to it, he suggested the rubber pack which he installed in it(sorry i missed that b4), but the height wasnt enof for a clearer gap and to avoid a scratch on the tyres.

Whats ur stake on this, i want to avoid the welding idea.

I am particularly concern about the tyres, they cost me 12k each and could not see them go bad just like that as i can see a mild sign that there is a contact between the guide and the back tyres.

i am thinking of changing the 2 back tyres to the old ones i removes till i can find a solution to the shock stuff.

@sultan,

there was no spring swap, i used the new component as it was bought, when i get into bump, the feeling and the sound has changed, meaning the shocks are ok but because i use a bigger tyre 205/65  15 rim, i suggest thats why i needed a little more clearance. WHATS UR SUGGESTION?.

@jfking2005

Mine was Camry 99 V6 and I bought the toks at ladipo for 7k after a very fierce pricing exercise, 5k and 14k i don’t seem to believe ur mechanics are telling you the truth.
Is ur experience like mine where my tyres are having a scratch from the back guide?.
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by jfking2005(m): 1:25pm On Mar 22, 2010

((((Is your experience like mine where my tyres are having a scratch from the back guide?.))))))

No i used a bigger tyre too 205,65,15 and i have a good clearance but only that at any hit on pot hole or even climbing a

little stone with the back right side the noise seems heavier on that side while the other side make no such noise.
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by Jucol(m): 9:49am On Mar 23, 2010
@JFKING and Seal 777.

A Haynes service manual will tell you exactly how to trace the fault and how to remedy it without you asking a mechanic that may not even explain the working mechanism of your car. You save money and time.

Secondly, using the wrong tyre dimension may reduce the clearance you need. Find out the right dimension for your car. I will send the dim. to you later.

Good luck.
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by jfking2005(m): 10:06am On Mar 23, 2010
@Jucol

pls how can i get the Haynes Manual?

how much does new and tokunbo shock absorber can cost for camry 2001.

thanks man!!
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by Jucol(m): 10:23am On Mar 23, 2010
@jfking.
Check the reply from Sultaan above. He got one from there. I am not in Naija, so cannot know the cost of your shocks. I use those manual anytime my car has a problem. And it has helped me save a lot. You know mechanic workshops in Norway are damn expensive. It is better you have an idea of what has to be done and how, then the mechanic wouldn't tell some nonsense talk smiley

Good luck man
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by jfking2005(m): 10:46am On Mar 23, 2010
Thanks man !!

never knew u re not in Naija.

but hope to find the book in naija someday

cheers
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by Jucol(m): 2:47pm On Mar 23, 2010
@ Seal777 and JFking:

Check your car model in the list to see whether you have the right tire dimension. If that is ok, then check your  REAR LATERAL CONTROL RODS  and those bushings at back. Jack the car, remove the wheel and you will see the bushings on the chassis. You can feel those rods playing if they are bad.
Note: This is the cause of most scratches and horrible noise when you have say 2 passengers at the back

In 205/65/15
205= width(mm)
65= proflie height(%)
15= rim diameter(inches)
I guess the guy who sold those tires  to you does not have info on your car smiley

2001 Toyota Camry CE Front and Rear Tires P205/65R15
2001 Toyota Camry LE 4 Cyl - V6 Front and Rear Tires P205/65R15
2001 Toyota Camry Solara SE 4 Cyl. Coupe Front and Rear Tires P205/65R15
2001 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 Front and Rear Tires P205/65R15
2001 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 Front and Rear Tires P205/60R16
2001 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 Front and Rear Tires P205/60R16
2001 Toyota Camry XLE 4 Cyl. Front and Rear Tires P205/65R15
2001 Toyota Camry XLE V6 Front and Rear Tires P205/60R16
2000 Toyota Camry CE 4 Door Sedan Front and Rear Tires P195/70R14
. 2000 Toyota Camry LE 4 Cyl - V6 Front and Rear Tires P205/65R15 .
2000 Toyota Camry Solara SE 4 Cyl. Coupe Front and Rear Tires P205/65R15 .
2000 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 Front and Rear Tires P205/65R15 .
2000 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 Front and Rear Tires P205/60R16 .
2000 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 Front and Rear Tires P205/60R16 .
2000 Toyota Camry XLE 4 Cyl. Front and Rear Tires P205/65R15 .
2000 Toyota Camry XLE V6 Front and Rear Tires P205/60R16 .

1999 Toyota Camry CE 4 Door Sedan Front and Rear Tires P195/70R14 .
1999 Toyota Camry LE Sedan Front and Rear Tires P195/70R14 .
1999 Toyota Camry LE Sedan V6 Front and Rear Tires P205/65R15 .
1999 Toyota Camry LE Sedan V6 Front and Rear Tires P205/65R15 .
1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE 4 Cyl. Coupe Front and Rear Tires P205/65R15 .
1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 Front and Rear Tires P205/65R15 .
1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 Front and Rear Tires P205/60R16 .
1999 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 Front and Rear Tires P205/65R15 .
1999 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 Front and Rear Tires P205/60R16 .
1999 Toyota Camry XLE Sedan Front and Rear Tires P195/70R14

Good luck

I hope this info helps you.

Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by seal777(m): 1:54pm On Aug 16, 2010
i am very sorry to all auto section nairalanders for posting this topic and not informing the house of the final outcome of the matter.

Having tried the fairly used option with the results not close to best as i would want it, i decided to opt for the option of
buying new shock absorbers with leakages for the front and back which i have been using for 5 months now and the result is fantastic though expensive but its worth it after all.

Thrilling myself on 180 with no noise, no issue with alignment and braking with ease compare to vibration, slight shaking, the car bouncing forward at breaking when i installed the fairly used raised one.

I am happy for it,

Thank you all.
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by Jucol(m): 7:44pm On Aug 16, 2010
Thrilling myself on 180
Do you mean 180km/h? If yes, then you must have been under the influence of something. sad. What the hell of a speed
Have you tot about the consequences of an impact/collision at that speed. Its ur life, but then you are putting others at risk too. In any civilized society, you loose ur drivers license and MAY be banned for life.
That was totally irresponsible. Am sorry for being rude. angry sad
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by chelseabmw(m): 10:10pm On Aug 17, 2010
Bump
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by seal777(m): 6:45am On Aug 18, 2010
@jucol,

Thanks for the punch lipsrsealed, well defended grin
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by toba1909(m): 7:48am On Aug 18, 2010
@ seal777,
What does the new shock absorbers cost?
Moreover can u help with the contact details of the part dealer?
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by Jucol(m): 9:09am On Aug 18, 2010
@Seal777
@jucol,

Thanks for the punch Lips sealed, well defended Grin
Thank you for listening and thinking right. Great guy! grin

Have a cool ride ( but then, watch that right foot of yours, might be kinda heavy on the gas pedal unconsciously grin)
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by seal777(m): 10:44am On Aug 18, 2010
@toba 1909,
i am currently at the airport awaiting my flight to portharcourt to be back in lag by monday, if you can, kindly wait till sunday night so i could check the contact add on the receipt.

@jucol,

Right foot heavy on a V6? , drove a friends benz S600 in a trip last weekend and i observe what u pointed out shocked
You sure do have the instinct of a road safety officer, keep it up cool.
Re: Pls Help, My Camry 99 Shock Absorber Is Weak. by Jucol(m): 11:49am On Aug 18, 2010
@ Seal777
You sure do have the instinct of a road safety officer, keep it up Cool.

I am no road safety officer smiley. I happen to have gone through a road accident simulation program to highlight the effects of speed during a collision. I sat on car seat moving at 7km/hr only (with safety belt on) . The seat was programmed to collide head-on with a stationary object, and then rebounce. The impact I felt on my body on collision was enormous. Note that I was aware of the collision. What if it happened suddenly? After that program I was dead afraid to drive home shocked

Assume you are traveling with your lovely family in your fine car to a destination 100km away.
On an average speed of 130km/h it takes you 46mins.
On an av speed of 100km/h it takes you 60mins. You gain ONLY 14mins by over speeding and putting everyone at greater risk. Is it really worth the risks?

The point is this: We can reduce the rate of road accidents,and the number of fatalities by checking our speed.

Cheers to all and happy cruise smiley

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Are The Cons And Pros Of Having Car Engine Flushed / China Blocks Foreign Autonomous Carmakers From Mapping Roads Over Spying Fears / How Much Will It Cost Me To Clear This Benz?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.