Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,902 members, 7,817,674 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo (976 Views)

Gunmen Assassinate Paul Onomuakpokpo, PDP Ward Chairman In Delta / PDP Urges Akpabio To Resign & Recontest, Welcomes Appeal Court Judgment / Yakubu Dogara⁩ Accepts Request To Recontest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by HungerBAD: 6:01am On Nov 02, 2017
By Paul Onomuakpokpo

It is only those who are unfamiliar with the politics of mutual backslapping in these climes who are surprised by the verdict of the governors of the ruling party, the All Progressives Congress (APC). At the meeting of the party’s National Executive Committee (NEC) in Abuja on Tuesday, the governors declared President Muhammadu Buhari fit to recontest for presidency in 2019. The governors strove to justify their decision. Buhari has done very well in the past two and half years and thus he needs to be rewarded with another fours years, so their argument goes. To them, no other person in the APC possesses so sterling credentials that conduce to the unity of the party and the country and the wellbeing of its citizens as Buhari.

But for now, the NEC does not share the enthusiasm of the governors. Thus, the governors were not able to convince the NEC to give automatic ticket to Buhari to recontest. However, it is unlikely that the NEC would deny Buhari an automatic ticket at the right time; the governors were just the first to declare their position. It is clear to the citizens that these governors have only flattered the president for various selfish reasons. Of course, the governors are aware of the power of incumbency that could be used to hunt them if they were opposed to the ambition of the president to recontest. Most of these governors have not conducted their financial affairs in a manner that could make them different from those the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has hung charges of corruption. Again, most of the governors rode to power in 2015 on the back of the popularity of Buhari. Thus, the calculation of the governors is that once Buhari recontests, they are likely to return to power.

Clearly, in a fair election, the verdict of the governors would not count. It is the people whom the governors claim that Buhari has served well who would decide his fate. So, the governors who are obviously not actuated by patriotism can profess as many endorsements as they like, but it is the citizens who would decide how fit Buhari is for the next election.

However, a canny appreciation of our politics requires that we should thank the governors for wanting Buhari to recontest. For, those who do not want Buhari to recontest are about doing the nation a great disservice. Such people should rather channel their energies towards preparing a candidate who in terms of age, health, character and vision is far better than Buhari. In other words, what such people should be preoccupied with is ensuring that there is a pool of credible presidential candidates from whom the citizens can choose. Like the governors, this column holds the view that Buhari should recontest. But the reason for this position is different from those of the governors. It is to really measure the progress of our democratic experience which may not be possible if Buhari does not recontest. His recontesting would serve a purpose that the participation of Goodluck Jonathan served in 2015. Jonathan’s participation showed that even an incumbent, despite all the advantages he leveraged, could be defeated if he failed to perform while in office. If Jonathan had quietly declared that he would be in office for only one term and another person should fly the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) flag for the 2015 presidential election, he would have escaped his current villainisation. Perhaps, this PDP candidate would have won and Jonathan’s so-much excoriated fecklessness allegedly underscored by the profligacy of his administration would have been ignored. By that singular action of not re-contesting, Jonathan would have securely ensconced himself in a pantheon of democracy exemplars illumined by the likes of Nelson Mandela. But we must be alert to the need to discount the notion that these governors are setting up Buhari to be disgraced. For, it is obvious that for the reasons earlier mentioned, they really want Buhari to return to Aso Rock.

So, Buhari does not need to waste time before declaring his interest to recontest. The Nigerian voters are waiting for him at the poll. They are waiting to express their outrage at his inept management of the economy that has led to their unemployment. The millions of youths are ready to let him know how his policies have not given them jobs after leaving the universities. The citizens would show him how his bad economic policies have made existence so brutish for their loved ones that they found the option of suicide irresistible. The survivors of Fulani herdsmen-inflicted carnage – orphans, widows, widowers etc – are awaiting to tell him how his conspiracy with these blood-thirsty enemies of peace have imbued them with the audacity to destroy their farms, kidnap, rape, maim and kill them in their thousands.

The governors were enamoured of the integrity of Buhari. To them, there is nobody who is as credible as Buhari. Again, the governors should not expect the citizens to accept their testimony. The people would tell Buhari at the poll that he has failed to live by high standards of transparency and justice. And this is why corruption has been rife in his administration. They would let him know how much their moral sensibilities have been assaulted by Buhari and his loyalists avowing his moral credentials while he is deliberately encouraging corruption. The citizens would recall during the election that it was Buhari who the Head of Service warned at a Federal Executive Council meeting of the calamitous consequences of the return of the former Chairman of the Presidential Pension Reform Task Force, Abdulrasheed Maina, to the civil service and the president was not riled at the betrayal of all the noble principles of integrity he embodies and has espoused. They would remember that it was Buhari who gave Babachir Lawal a soft landing after so much outcry by the citizens and asked him to bring his cousin, according to Junaid Mohammed, to protect his interest as the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.

How do we know whether the nation’s politics has grown beyond the ethno-religious fixation that threw up Buhari as president in 2015 and it is now being driven by great ideas that place the wellbeing of the citizen at the core of governance? We can only know this if Buhari recontests and the citizens dump him for a candidate who can actualise their aspirations to live like their counterparts in the developed parts of the world.

Let the citizens decide in 2019 whether they want Buhari to return and quicken the dissolution of the Nigerian union through his treating a section of the country as a master while the other parts are its vassals. During Buhari’s second coming, the citizens were made to support him by what they thought he stood for during his first coming. Now, it is what he has stood for during his second coming that would determine whether the citizens would support his third coming. So, like the governors, the NEC of the APC would only do our democratic experience a lot of good by giving Buhari an automatic ticket for 2019. After that, the citizens he has served very well would decide his fate. Neither on the grounds of ill health nor age should he be discouraged from recontesting. After all, the nation has enough funds to take care of his health. If the nation could take care of his health when its economic crisis was at its nadir, with oil selling below $50 there is no reason he cannot be kept alive in a London hospital even for a year now with the much-celebrated recovery from recession and with the price of oil on its way to $70.

Buhari could look around and snigger at those who want to render him ineligible on account of his age. He could ask them to tell him the age of Robert Mugabe who would be recontesting his country’s presidential election next year. No, Buhari must not be dissuaded; he must be encouraged by all to participate in the 2019 presidential election. Those who are opposed to Buhari recontesting should not deny us the opportunity of seeing him returning to Daura not unhaunted by his past. Once he is rejected at a fair poll by the citizens whom he claims to have served very well, he, his wife and aides should be made to account for their misdeeds in office as Jonathan, his wife and aides.

http://guardian.ng/opinion/why-buhari-should-recontest-in-2019/

Lalasticlacla Mynd44

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by chibabe259(f): 6:04am On Nov 02, 2017
What exactly is wrong with Nigeria?.

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by Samusu(m): 6:13am On Nov 02, 2017
dis man never tire.

Paul ko, Saul ne angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by Janaanu: 6:14am On Nov 02, 2017
Sai Baba..... cool

The greatest disappointment of the century. angry

5 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by OZAOEKPE(f): 6:20am On Nov 02, 2017
undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by oyatmicah(m): 6:21am On Nov 02, 2017
if u like call ursef peter i dont care, but d kind slap i go give u ehn, u go tink say na number i dey dial on ur face ni

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by Smellymouth: 6:24am On Nov 02, 2017
Paul pls.....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by Firefire(m): 6:30am On Nov 02, 2017
Yes, baba Go Slow must rule till he Kaput inside Aso rock.

Sai barber!

4 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by IamtherealRita(f): 6:44am On Nov 02, 2017
He will only win 2019 in his dream

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by OGAMINISTER: 6:45am On Nov 02, 2017
Most people who comment on the front page are jobless semi-literates who re consoled by their foolish comments in Nairaland

You can always go to the second page foor sensible comments because these class of people comment after work

Pathetic

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by IamPatriotic(m): 6:46am On Nov 02, 2017
I'm not sure any of these people read the full story before running to comment section, Mr. Paul wrote an innuendo note here, Bubu should contest, provided he would allow the electorates to decide the outcome of the election like Jonathan did in 2015.

3 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by bonechamberlain(m): 6:47am On Nov 02, 2017
another Epistle.

buhari shouldn't even contest.its an insult on intelligent Nigerians

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by Spylord48: 6:48am On Nov 02, 2017
Lol this man funny. Buhari can only win by rigging if he recontest.
He started a little bit fine but now it seems he is getting clueless and weakened day by day and only obeying the orders of his chief of staff.
Those governors pushing him to recontest I wonder what they achieved in their various states.
The best thing for Buhari to do is to step down come 2019, go home and play with his grandchildren. How will he even do campaign sef. For two months now he never addressed we the masses. He should allow these selfish governors to push him to his early grave O.

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by Chrisbeks: 6:51am On Nov 02, 2017
He is free and has the constitutional right to contest but Nigerians should not be foolish a second time.

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by HungerBAD: 6:54am On Nov 02, 2017
HAS ANYBODY EVEN READ THE ARTICLE?ANYBODY? the comments i am reading is discouraging.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by Nobody: 7:00am On Nov 02, 2017
Only a fool will vote for buhari again. The same evil Gej was voted out is being committed ten fold by buhari.

Buhari deserves to be in his home milking his cow

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by Nobody: 7:03am On Nov 02, 2017
HungerBAD:
HAS ANYBODY EVEN READ THE ARTICLE?ANYBODY? the comments i am reading is discouraging.
People don't care to read but I'm surprised you didn't do FTC shouting Sai baba cheesy

The only way to justify your silence is coming out to condemn this administration and not hiding behind the veil to hurl missiles.

Stop being an Abeokuta man and stand up for what you believe in

2 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by DaudaAbu(m): 7:03am On Nov 02, 2017
Sai baba

2019 loading . . . . ,
Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by FarahAideed: 7:08am On Nov 02, 2017
The writer wrote based on the premise that elections will be free and fair but Buhari being the very dishonest unsurper he is will never hold free and fair elections , he and his sister at INEC will just release cooked up result and send the Army on Operation Ballot Dance to subdue protesters..

2 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by HungerBAD: 7:19am On Nov 02, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
People don't care to read but I'm surprised you didn't do FTC shouting Sai baba cheesy

The only way to justify your silence is coming out to condemn this administration and not hiding behind the veil to hurl missiles.

Stop being an Abeokuta man and stand up for what you believe in

Like i have repeatedly said, i write according to how i feel, not caring whose OX is gored. The Buhari Government or any Nigerian Government has never put food on my table, so i can say it the way it is.

The Government of Buhari is starting to lose my support. Until Buhari sacks Abba Kyari, his Government will continue running in circles.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by fratermathy(m): 8:13pm On Nov 02, 2017
A lot of people didn't even bother to read the article. Lazy readers should simply read the last paragraph, at the least.

Way to go, Mr Paul.

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by Paperwhite(m): 8:51pm On Nov 02, 2017
With the magnification of corruption in this government,Buhari is a no.

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by hucienda: 9:28pm On Nov 02, 2017
Election wey Buhari go rig?

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by hahn(m): 3:27pm On Nov 03, 2017
I agree

He needs another opportunity to exterminate the masses totally with hunger undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by MaziOmenuko: 4:31pm On Nov 03, 2017
HungerBAD:

Check from Pg 2, thats when you will see sensible comments. Those ones on pg1 are kids that run around the entire site posting without reading; reading without comprehending.
Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by HoluwarTohbar(f): 11:35pm On Nov 03, 2017
Buhari and his gang of thieves are going no where but Daura come 2019! I am not fooled by the overdose morphine they feed him with every morning to prop him up.
Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by HoluwarTohbar(f): 11:38pm On Nov 03, 2017
MaziOmenuko:

Check from Pg 2, thats when you will see sensible comments. Those ones on pg1 are kids that run around the entire site posting without reading; reading without comprehending.
This is one of the elders who foisted the calamity called Buhari on Nigerians! You all are retiring with him come 2019!
Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by seniorgozman(m): 3:29am On Nov 04, 2017
Let me reserve my comments, check my signature if you want to be a millionaire before December
Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by MaziOmenuko: 12:43pm On Nov 04, 2017
HoluwarTohbar:
This is one of the elders who foisted the calamity called Buhari on Nigerians! You all are retiring with him come 2019!

Lol...trust me if Buhari fails, then I will gladly retire from active politics, because none of the recent crop of politicians parading themselves right now can rescue this nation.
Re: Why Buhari Should Recontest In 2019- By Paul Onomuakpokpo by aolawale025: 2:17pm On Nov 04, 2017
I would rather the man does bother to contest. Because the votes may not count and we would be stuck for another four years

(1) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Accuses Fashola’s Power Ministry Of Squandering $385 Million / Lai Mohammed Wants To Kill Me This His Statement (photo) / Why We Chose Burial Ground As Our Third Ritual Point

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.