Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,212 members, 7,957,475 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:20 PM

Naija Newspapers: Today's The Punch Newspaper Headlines [4 November, 2017]. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naija Newspapers: Today's The Punch Newspaper Headlines [4 November, 2017]. (887 Views)

Atiku’s Witness Can’t Remember Date Of Presidential Election - The Punch / Punch Newspaper Cartoon About Buhari And Killings In Nigeria (Photo) / Fresh Defections Loom As Governors Close In On Senator's Seats - The Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Naija Newspapers: Today's The Punch Newspaper Headlines [4 November, 2017]. by LadyNaija(f): 9:30am On Nov 04, 2017
Below are the headlines found on The Punch Online Newspaper for today, Saturday, 4 November, 2017.
[img]https://3.bp..com/-AGYidPhd3FE/Wf1mcN10QeI/AAAAAAAAIXc/wssl16sZ0fMZVyxiYazGyTEhl_WCA_hOACLcBGAs/s640/punchng-NaijaNewspapers.jpg[/img]

Niger Delta Avengers declares fresh war on oil facilities
Sat, 04 Nov 2017
As the Niger Delta Avengers threatens to resume fresh attacks on oil facilities in Nigeria, the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria, the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry and others have said such action would have a grave impact on the nation’s economy and its people.

They, therefore, urged the government to engage the militants to avert such attacks.

The group had announced an immediate end to its ceasefire with the Federal Government in a statement posted on its website on Friday.

It had also accused the Federal Government of being insincere despite the commitment by the leaders of the region to broker peace, saying that the government was only interested in the oil being derived from the Niger Delta.

In the statement signed by the group’s spokesman, Murdoch Agbinibo, NDA said Operation Red Economy, which it had declared following the intervention of the Chief Edwin Clark-led Pan Niger Delta Forum, was officially over.

It declared that the fresh attacks would affect the nation’s oil facilities in the region and stop oil production, saying it was not interested in having further negotiations with the Federal Government.

But President, Manufacturers Association of Nigeria, Dr. Frank Jacobs, described the situation as unfortunate, noting that an attack on oil installations at a time when Nigeria was still recovering from arguably its worst economic crisis, would deal a huge blow to its economy.

He said, “It is unfortunate if that is what the NDA wants to do, especially at this time that the economy is getting out of recession, when oil production is becoming steady and price of oil is going up.

“It will deal a terrible blow to the country and it is my hope that the government won’t allow that to happen. The government should engage them, find out what their issues are and find a way to address them because if they succeed, it might be disastrous for the economy.”

Jacobs also said the effects of such attacks would be greatly felt by manufacturers, who rely on foreign exchange to bring in raw materials and machinery.

Similarly, the Director-General of the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Mr. Muda Yusuf, said should the militants carry out their threats, “it will cause a setback for Nigeria.”
read more...

2018 budget faces fresh threats from N/Assembly
Sat, 04 Nov 2017
Members of the House of Representatives are demanding increased funding of the 2017 budget as a condition for treating the 2018 budget expected to be presented to the National Assembly on November 7 by President Muhammadu Buhari, Saturday PUNCH has gathered.

Lawmakers have generally assessed the funding of the budget, particularly the capital component, as “poor and far from encouraging.”

Investigations showed that very dear to the hearts of the members were their zonal intervention projects, which have so far been neglected by the Executive.

There is a provision of about N100bn in the budget for the zonal intervention projects of members of the National Assembly.

However, Saturday PUNCH learnt that the releases so far made did not cover the zonal projects.

One source stated, “Nothing has been released for the constituency projects of members. These people are politicians and elections are not far away.

“They have to present something to their people as dividends of democracy to guarantee some votes at the next polls. If the zonal projects are not funded, there will be setbacks for the 2018 budget.”

Another top official of the legislature also informed Saturday PUNCH that it was unlikely that members would approve the 2018-2020 Medium Term Expenditure Framework and Fiscal Strategy Paper, which must be done before touching the 2018 budget.

The official explained, “You know that the MTEF is a requirement of the Fiscal Responsibility Act, 2007.

“Without the approval of the MTEF, there will be no new budget. So, let the executive wake up.”

The Federal Government plans to spend N8.60tn in 2018. While work is progressing on next year’s budget, the 2017 budget of N7.441tn is still running until May 2018.
read more...

Tinubu reacts to sons death, says Ive suffered grave loss
Sat, 04 Nov 2017The National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has said he had suffered a grave loss” as he spoke on the death of his son, Jide, saying he wished he could bring him back.

Since the politician’s son died on Wednesday at the age of 37, several prominent Nigerians, including President Muhammadu Buhari, Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo, and the Senate President, Bukola Saraki, had sent condolence messages to the APC chieftain.

In a statement on Friday, Tinubu said he would miss his son, disclosing that he died of cardiac arrest.

The statement read partly, “My son was a highly intelligent person with a vibrant personality and a zest for life. He followed his own course and made his own way on his own terms. Those who knew him could not help but like him. Yet, he was taken away by cardiac arrest when it seemed he had so much life to still live.

“Jide lived for so long in London and there he has left behind a darling wife and three precious boys. My wife, Remi, and I have gone to London to be with them at this painful time to support and help them. Please excuse our absence from Lagos for a while, but it is essential that we are with them.

“I have suffered a grave loss that no parent would like to bear. As a father, I must spend time putting my arms around the family he has left behind. We must seek a lesson in every loss. Your reaction to my son’s passing has taught me that we can be a people of profound love and humanity when we want to be. People of every tribe, region, faith and every political affiliation have expressed their sympathy and extended to me the embrace of a brother or sister.
read more...

CONTINUE: http://www.naijanewspapers.com.ng/2017/11/naija-newspapers-todays-punch-newspaper_4.html

(1) (Reply)

Ogun State Commissioner For Commerce And Industry, Bimbo Ashiru Resignssee / How Jonathan's Loyalists Suggested Military Coup After Buhari's Victory In 2015 / Innoson Vs GTB: How GTB Stole Over N700 Million From Innoson’s Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.