Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,516 members, 7,770,316 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:07 AM

What Are The Earthly Advantages Or Benefits Of Being A Christian? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Are The Earthly Advantages Or Benefits Of Being A Christian? (8052 Views)

Heavenly Reward Vs Earthly Reward: Hilarious Photo / Why Doesn't God Answer Mankind Like Earthly Fathers / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Earthly Advantages Or Benefits Of Being A Christian? by huxley(m): 9:21am On Mar 19, 2010
Are there any earthly advantages or benefits of being a Christian? Do Christians benefit from advantages here on earth that are only reserved for Christians and no other groups?
Re: What Are The Earthly Advantages Or Benefits Of Being A Christian? by InesQor(m): 9:35am On Mar 19, 2010
huxley:

Are there any earthly advantages or benefits of being a Christian?
Yes.

huxley:

Do Christians benefit from advantages here on earth that are only reserved for Christians and no other groups?
No.

Edit: When I say No, what I mean is that, absolutely speaking,  God has been known to carry out his purposes in mysterious ways, sometimes relaying awesome advantages to non-Christians as well. But we are not to wholly depend on such spectacular things, rather walk by Faith in God.
Re: What Are The Earthly Advantages Or Benefits Of Being A Christian? by huxley(m): 9:38am On Mar 19, 2010
InesQor:

Yes.

So what are they? CAn you list them?
Re: What Are The Earthly Advantages Or Benefits Of Being A Christian? by InesQor(m): 10:09am On Mar 19, 2010
huxley:

So what are they?  CAn you list them?
First of all, it is imperative to note that I refer to a Christian in the true sense of Christ-likeness, and not a Bible-thumping church-goer.

Here is an inexhaustive list:

1. Help. Christians have the unlimited license to enjoy the ministry of the Holy Spirit in the guidance of their everyday affairs: teaching, counselling, and providing unlimited joy. The Holy Spirit helps us exercise good judgment.

2. Wisdom. There are concrete principles and guidelines that are Biblically established (even if you consider the Bible ONLY as a book that spans millenia of human experience, and as such full of wisdom) and will ensure incontrovertible development of character and protection from destructive consequences of folly.

3. Hope A Christian understands that (s)he is on assignment here on earth, and this helps him/her face circumstances with the proper perspective. It is, for instance, possible for a Christian to be joyful in the face of adversity and strife because the future belongs to those who are already there, and the Christian is already ably represented in the future by the person of Jesus Christ.

4. Faith Unlike many religions or faith movements, Christianity carves a niche for itself because Jesus clearly said "No one comes to the Father (God) except by me". As such, the Christian has direct access to God through Christ by faith (without which it is impossible to please God), and can enjoy daily fellowship with him, also enjoying the attendant benefits of adoption as a son of God. This is of temporal (earthly) as well as eternal benefit.

5. Love Christianity is built upon this single four-letter word, in the face of all the four-letter words that the world keeps handing around. Love covers a multitude of sins (which the world is notorious for generating), and if one is a true Christian, (s)he is ALREADY a worthy addition to any group, social class, establishment or community, or nation.

There are many others, but they pale in comparison to the eternal benefits. As Paul said,

1Co 15:19  If we who are [abiding] in Christ have hope only in this life and that is all, then we are of all people most miserable and to be pitied. (AMP)

1Co 15:19  If all we get out of Christ is a little inspiration for a few short years, we're a pretty sorry lot. (MSG)
Re: What Are The Earthly Advantages Or Benefits Of Being A Christian? by Nobody: 10:19am On Mar 19, 2010
huxley:

So what are they?  CAn you list them?

Christians rejoice now in Gods goodness in giving jesus to die for their sins.They benefit by having peace in their hearts becos jesus said COME TO ME ALL U WHO LABOUR&ARE HEAVY LADEN&I WILL GIVE U REST(MATTHEW 11:28)
Re: What Are The Earthly Advantages Or Benefits Of Being A Christian? by InesQor(m): 12:25pm On Mar 19, 2010

Re: What Are The Earthly Advantages Or Benefits Of Being A Christian? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Mar 19, 2010
is this a trick question or what?

Of course we all know some people have become excessively wealthy either legally or illegally by virtue of their membership of the church, but that's not supposed to be the sole earthly advantage of being a Christian.

and yes, we all know the jury is still out on the prosperity gospel.
Re: What Are The Earthly Advantages Or Benefits Of Being A Christian? by InesQor(m): 3:15pm On Mar 19, 2010
grin tpia, believe me, I never even thought in that direction! LOL. . . I only wondered what huxley was up to again. . . tongue
Re: What Are The Earthly Advantages Or Benefits Of Being A Christian? by jagunlabi(m): 5:05am On Mar 20, 2010
huxley:

Do Christians benefit from advantages here on earth that are only reserved for Christians and no other groups?
No, they don't.Whatever benefits they get from their religion and it's doctrine is also enjoyed by other groups too.
Re: What Are The Earthly Advantages Or Benefits Of Being A Christian? by Idowuogbo(f): 5:11am On Mar 20, 2010
@ psoter

loads of stuff if i leave dem i wud jam dis thread ooo

but 4 me dis are my top 3

HOPE

FAITH

GOODWILL
Re: What Are The Earthly Advantages Or Benefits Of Being A Christian? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Mar 20, 2010
huxley:

Are there any earthly advantages or benefits of being a Christian? Do Christians benefit from advantages here on earth that are only reserved for Christians and no other groups?

Strange that most of the world's advanced countries have ancient Christian roots . . .
Re: What Are The Earthly Advantages Or Benefits Of Being A Christian? by InesQor(m): 5:32pm On Mar 20, 2010
imhotep:

Strange that most of the world's advanced countries have ancient Christian roots . . .
GBAM!

Re: What Are The Earthly Advantages Or Benefits Of Being A Christian? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Mar 20, 2010
imhotep:

can only connote&dennote one thing i.e the bible is true. Matthew28:18 Jesus said to his disciples after resurrection, go ye into d world&preach d gospel& said total powers in Heaven&earth has been given to.Jesus further stressed same thing in mark16:16&17. He order his disciples to use his name to do signs&wonders since he had total powers.My point is that Jesus didnt come to Nigeria but israel but as authorised by him,the gospel has entered Nigeria&other parts of the world.
Re: What Are The Earthly Advantages Or Benefits Of Being A Christian? by PastorAIO: 11:55am On Mar 22, 2010
imhotep:

1)By advanced I imagine that you mean one or both of two things. technological advancement, and socio-political stability.

The interesting thing is that up until the industrial age about 2 hundred years ago the most technologically advanced country in the world was China.

2) i imagine again that you are making a connection between christian roots and 'advancements'. What about the connection to the philosophic traditions of Ancient Greece. This was the source of europe and America's approach to politics. Democracy developed in Greece. The spirit of inquiring into nature came to europe from ancient greece too. Aristotle was not a christian. Interestingly aristotle's philosophy was first adopted by the islamic arabs and they were more scientifically advanced than the europeans. Then when that tradition passed from arab to christian europe Europe once again emerged from the dark ages.

I can see a correlation between greek philosophy and Europe's 'advancement', but to be honest with you i cannot see a correlation between christianity and europe's advancement. Perhaps someone could point out the correlation to me. Is it everywhere that there is christianity that there is european-type advancement?
Re: What Are The Earthly Advantages Or Benefits Of Being A Christian? by jumie(f): 2:06pm On Mar 22, 2010
InesQor:

First of all, it is imperative to note that I refer to a Christian in the true sense of Christ-likeness, and not a Bible-thumping church-goer.

Here is an inexhaustive list:

1. Help. Christians have the unlimited license to enjoy the ministry of the Holy Spirit in the guidance of their everyday affairs: teaching, counselling, and providing unlimited joy. The Holy Spirit helps us exercise good judgment.

2. Wisdom. There are concrete principles and guidelines that are Biblically established (even if you consider the Bible ONLY as a book that spans millenia of human experience, and as such full of wisdom) and will ensure incontrovertible development of character and protection from destructive consequences of folly.

3. Hope A Christian understands that (s)he is on assignment here on earth, and this helps him/her face circumstances with the proper perspective. It is, for instance, possible for a Christian to be joyful in the face of adversity and strife because the future belongs to those who are already there, and the Christian is already ably represented in the future by the person of Jesus Christ.

4. Faith Unlike many religions or faith movements, Christianity carves a niche for itself because Jesus clearly said "No one comes to the Father (God) except by me". As such, the Christian has direct access to God through Christ by faith (without which it is impossible to please God), and can enjoy daily fellowship with him, also enjoying the attendant benefits of adoption as a son of God. This is of temporal (earthly) as well as eternal benefit.

5. Love Christianity is built upon this single four-letter word, in the face of all the four-letter words that the world keeps handing around. Love covers a multitude of sins (which the world is notorious for generating), and if one is a true Christian, (s)he is ALREADY a worthy addition to any group, social class, establishment or community, or nation.

There are many others, but they pale in comparison to the eternal benefits. As Paul said,

1Co 15:19  If we who are [abiding] in Christ have hope only in this life and that is all, then we are of all people most miserable and to be pitied. (AMP)

1Co 15:19  If all we get out of Christ is a little inspiration for a few short years, we're a pretty sorry lot. (MSG)

In addition to the above, a christian also enjoys peace of mind, irregardless of what is happening around. Knowing that you have a God who cannot fail you gives peace in the midst of turmoil. Certainly, there is no other place where one can find such peace and rest except in Christ.
Re: What Are The Earthly Advantages Or Benefits Of Being A Christian? by huxley(m): 2:52pm On Mar 22, 2010
jumie:

In addition to the above, a christian also enjoys peace of mind, irregardless of what is happening around. Knowing that you have a God who cannot fail you gives peace in the midst of turmoil. Certainly, there is no other place where one can find such peace and rest except in Christ.

What do you mean by peace of mind? Christians worries about life and its travails in much the same way as everyone else. They worry about:

Money, health, career, exams, death, their children and parents and friends etc, etc. If they did not, why do they keep praying for all these things? And does God really provide it for them? Does God always provide: their food, money, exam results, healing from illness?

Have you ever visted a sick children's hospital and see all the distress in the parents faces about the health of their children. Are you saying that those of these parents who are Christians always have the peace of mind that their God will intervene and save the day? If that were so, no Christian children would be dying from illness.
Re: What Are The Earthly Advantages Or Benefits Of Being A Christian? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Mar 22, 2010
huxley:

What do you mean by peace of mind? Christians worries about life and its travails in much the same way as everyone else. They worry about:

See these in John chapter1 and in the ffg verses we have peace of mind
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God

This is peace of mind

(1) (Reply)

How Brainwashing Works / Stunning Images Of African Orisha Deities You've Never Heard Of Before / Is Sucking Your Wife's breast Biblical???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.