Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 (18270 Views)

2007 Toyota Avalon or 2007 Toyota Corolla: Which Should I Buy? / The All New 2019 Toyota Avalon Is Full Of Sophistication And Style (photos) / Beware: Flooded Cars From Hurricane Harvey Are Getting Lined Up Already (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by Marpol: 12:30pm On Nov 09, 2017
I have seen an incident like this play out before. Someone I know bought a flooded 2007 BMW 5 series from auctionexport. The car was not coming on or starting and he paid $2700 for it. When car got to Nigeria according to him the rewire only changed a fuse and car started working.

He is still driving it till today. This happened like 3 to 4 years ago.

Most times these auction sites will mark the level of the flooding on the car body. And the water wey i dey drive my Honda city pass everyday in Nigeria is more than flooding if you ask me.

@OP carry go jare!!!

7 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by Scammer(m): 12:54pm On Nov 09, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

I suggest you should leave vehicle in lagos.some parts might be equired that can only be gotten in lagos. Some parts might be used for just testing purposes and returned to seller, some parts might need to be replaced if they do not work. Best place to do that is as close to seller of part as possible. Unless if you intend importing all parts required online.

Good luck
Car is not coming through lagos port.
Benin is cotonou.
final arrival is lagos.

2 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by Alumster: 1:04pm On Nov 09, 2017
Lexusgs430:

You have surely taken a gamble here...... You could be lucky or just bought a very beautiful white lemon.....
Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by obekediamondfuto(m): 1:14pm On Nov 09, 2017
SmartchoiceNGR:
I don't understand?

u seconded it naw, and I thirded it. I'd always prefer a clean title pencil Camry to a flooded 2018 range rover whatever. u know what's worse than buying an old model car? opening the bonnet of a recent model car in the middle of the express, it gets even much worse when ur friends are with u or ur wife or gf...... it doesn't end there. it gets even worse when some1 like me Naw gets to see the person on the express and assist tow..... inside the car na so so "I told u so" I go dey talk.

sorry for my longer write up, wasn't meant for u

7 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by Lexusgs430: 1:26pm On Nov 09, 2017
Marpol:
I have seen an incident like this play out before. Someone I know bought a flooded 2007 BMW 5 series from auctionexport. The car was not coming on or starting and he paid $2700 for it. When car got to Nigeria according to him the rewire only changed a fuse and car started working.

Most times these auction sites will mark the level of the flooding on the car body. And the water wey i dey drive my Honda city pass everyday in Nigeria is more than flooding if you ask me.

@OP carry go jare!!!

I also bought a Jaguar from Japan a couple of years ago, the vehicle was a non- starter. The Jaguar only cost me about $70.00.

I was apprehensive,but had hope. When vehicle arrived at the port, I bought a brand new battery on the off chance, took my toolbox to the port and hoped beyond hope that I might be able to start the Jaguar ........

I got to the bay the vehicle was towed to, I put the key in and turned, no sign of life.

Next thing before any form of troubleshooting was to take out old battery and install new battery.................

Jaguar started one time....... I drove it home..........

8 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by obekediamondfuto(m): 1:37pm On Nov 09, 2017
Lexusgs430:

I also bought a Jaguar from Japan a couple of years ago, the vehicle was a non- starter. The Jaguar only cost me about $70.00.

I was apprehensive,but had hope. When vehicle arrived at the port, I bought a brand new battery on the off chance, took my toolbox to the port and hoped beyond hope that I might be able to start the Jaguar ........

I got to the bay the vehicle was towed to, I put the key in and turned, no sign of life.

Next thing before any form of troubleshooting was to take out old battery and install new battery.................

wow, may this be ops experience ijn.

but ehn, no b to go charter flooded vehicles, esp those extremely cheap ones and begin to pray that a battery change is all that's needed?

4 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by obekediamondfuto(m): 1:37pm On Nov 09, 2017
Lexusgs430:

but ehn, no b to go charter flooded vehicles, esp those extremely cheap ones and begin to pray that a battery change is all that's needed? abeg mae una gimme site make I go skemp for flood!
Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by Lexusgs430: 1:43pm On Nov 09, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

but ehn, no b to go charter flooded vehicles, esp those extremely cheap ones and begin to pray that a battery change is all that's needed? abeg mae una gimme site make I go skemp for flood!

Hence my first response........ A gamble can only go two ways .......... The amount I gambled with, was not a lot ...... Hence I took my chances .....

1 Like

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by Nobody: 4:39pm On Nov 09, 2017
Scammer:

Car is not coming through lagos port.
Benin is cotonou.
final arrival is lagos.
All the best with your white alvalon project, pls update us with progress pics and work done on the vehicle when it lands in lagos. God be with you.
Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by snipesdam(m): 4:46pm On Nov 09, 2017
Lexusgs430:

Trust me your village people must have been drunk @ the time.

Congrats lucky you.

Still curious how much did u pay for custom duty since you bought it @ $70

Modified.

1 Like

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by Lexusgs430: 4:50pm On Nov 09, 2017
snipesdam:

Trust me your village people must have been drunk @ the time.

Congrats lucky you.

Indeed..... The cheapest car I ever bought............
Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by snipesdam(m): 4:58pm On Nov 09, 2017
Lexusgs430:

Indeed..... The cheapest car I ever bought............

How much did u pay for custom duty?
Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by Lexusgs430: 5:05pm On Nov 09, 2017
snipesdam:

How much did u pay for custom duty?

I paid about $1000 (or just slightly under). This was about 17 years ago (because the vehicle was used as my Groom's car)

2 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by eGarage(m): 1:48am On Nov 10, 2017
Scammer:
Lots Of Hulabaloo here, Let's keep decorum..
Car is meant for my personal use.
If you won't buy a flooded car, Your choice,
Each person is entitled to their own opinion.
I'm buying a Toyota which is a basic vehicle with few modules, the car is a Win Win. If it runs or not.

People bid as high as $40K USD For flooded cars whose real value is between 70-80k Usd.
If you don't buy it someone else will, And i definitely know what i'm getting into.

Do you know the cost a limited avalon with all options ticked?

Like elshanautos mentioned, The car will definitely run and drive perfectly again.
It wasn't submerged or buried in the OCEAN , It's slightly flooded...

Flooded car can be a blessing or a curse.
There are rules.
Make sure they are run and drive,
If it's a non starter, Make sure to know the water level.
Avoid flooded benz or bmw They have more dangerous electronics and modules.

Fingers are crossed, when vehicle arrives In Benin.
It will be inspected and diagnosed there first.

Hello Scammer,

I am willing to help you resolve your Vehicle issues. Trust you stay/be willing to execute the repairs in Lagos.
You can chat me up on 08099919361 to start with.
We have been engaged in similar repairs before including for Hybrid Vehicles and yours should not be a difficult one.
With good electronics equipment, your Vehicle will be restored. BTW, we also have a running Avalon same model to compare test results when the need arises.

Kindly send me a message to ask a few other questions.

Cheers

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by doroboss(m): 2:03am On Nov 10, 2017
eGarage:

Hello Scammer,

I am willing to help you resolve your Vehicle issues. Trust you stay/be willing to execute the repairs in Lagos.
You can chat me up on 08099919361 to start with.
We have been engaged in similar repairs before including for Hybrid Vehicles and yours should not be a difficult one.
With good electronics equipment, your Vehicle will be restored. BTW, we also have a running Avalon same model to compare test results when the need arises.

Kindly send me a message to ask a few other questions.

Cheers

Willing to remove parts from 1 car (probably a clients) to test another clients car? What if part gets damaged?

4 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by thebigkendo(m): 8:13am On Nov 10, 2017
doroboss:

Willing to remove parts from 1 car (probably a clients) to test another clients car? What if part gets damaged?

Bros comparing result does't not mean removing parts

4 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by cross8701: 8:50am On Nov 10, 2017
Scammer:
Lots Of Hulabaloo here, Let's keep decorum..
Car is meant for my personal use.
If you won't buy a flooded car, Your choice,
Each person is entitled to their own opinion.
I'm buying a Toyota which is a basic vehicle with few modules, the car is a Win Win. If it runs or not.

People bid as high as $40K USD For flooded cars whose real value is between 70-80k Usd.
If you don't buy it someone else will, And i definitely know what i'm getting into.

Do you know the cost a limited avalon with all options ticked?

Like elshanautos mentioned, The car will definitely run and drive perfectly again.
It wasn't submerged or buried in the OCEAN , It's slightly flooded...

Flooded car can be a blessing or a curse.
There are rules.
Make sure they are run and drive,
If it's a non starter, Make sure to know the water level.
Avoid flooded benz or bmw They have more dangerous electronics and modules.

Fingers are crossed, when vehicle arrives In Benin.
It will be inspected and diagnosed there first.

Fortune favors the brave my brother...Let them sit on the side line and be talking crap they know very little about. Firstly insurance companies in most developed countries write off cars that the repair bill cost up to 30% of the value of the car and most of that cost is labour. The fact that these cars appear in an auction website does not make them "Lemons"as one expert eloquently put it. I drive a 2014 Ford Explorer Limited that suffered salt water flood damage. The car was towed from the port to my house and i put in a new battery and after changing all the necessary oil, cranked it up and car fired to life with not a single fault. I actively look for flooded cars and as far as you keep a healthy budget and have a decent mechanic and car electrician, you are good to go. I have sold 15 cars and counting from my house and no buyer has returned claiming i sold them a Lemon. I have no doubt in my mind you got an absolute bargain. It has already been mentioned that a lot of cars on naija roads are flooded vehicles,clearly something that missed a lot of the naysayers. Goodluck

3 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by chukel(m): 11:13am On Nov 10, 2017
I love this thread. Learning a lot and allaying fears.
Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by chukel(m): 11:19am On Nov 10, 2017
Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by chukel(m): 11:23am On Nov 10, 2017
Marpol:

@OP carry go jare!!!
true. But most times those marks are not a true reflection of water level but a reflection of settled water level. That is where settled flood level leaves mark on the vehicle. But most cases the flood would have been much higher but flowing. The mark is stagnant flood level

6 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by Kashif(m): 7:48pm On Nov 10, 2017
There is an experiment I will love to perform - buy oem electronic modules of a particular brand at a time and submerge in water for one week, and try out. cool cool

4 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by AFONAMARO: 6:03pm On Nov 11, 2017
Got a flooded 06 Toyota Corolla from US(Florida) October last year. When the car arrived, I used an old battery to start it. Since then, car has been serving me without any issue

1 Like

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by fidtopade: 7:30pm On Nov 11, 2017
Scammer:
Wow,
Lots of negativity here.
Anyway I was able to find an auto shop that will take care of repairs..

I definitely know what I am getting into. The engine is not hydrolocked, It was flooded, But no start attempt was made.
I know the engine or transmission can't be completely damaged, But one thing is certain, The car is not complete lemon, and it will definitely RUN AND DRIVE PERFECTLY AGAIN, It's not as if the car was covered with water, the water level was slightly above the door.

The engine of the car is a 2gr which is shared along lots of Toyota line up even if engine is to be replaced.
This is a 2016 Toyota Avalon Limited and it doesn't come cheap. this one has only about 3000 miles which is near to brand new.

There's no way I can loose money on the car, i Bought it for a very low price,
And besides It's not coming through tincan , so duty is out of the equation. Duty will be paid in the future.
The car is coming to town with less than 5m.
even if I spend as much as 1.5m on repairs which is not even possible , I can't loose.
stay positive, I am hoping to hear your testimony. don't be surprise, that car may take less than 100k to fix.
Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by obekediamondfuto(m): 12:00pm On Nov 12, 2017
na mehn, all these testimonies about flooded cars starting one hand in naija, maybe our weather is conducive enough. in the absence of any other contrary or contradictory testimonies..... the ayes have it.

make una gimme site oh, esp for that $70 own.

2 Likes

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by spartacus11(m): 12:08pm On Nov 12, 2017
obekediamondfuto:
na mehn, all these testimonies about flooded cars starting one hand in naija, maybe our weather is conducive enough. in the absence of any other contrary or contradictory testimonies..... the ayes have it.

As in me too oh
Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by Lexusgs430: 3:55am On Nov 13, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

http://www.tau-trade.com/sp/gen/TopPage.do?null
Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by enitiObanke(m): 9:27am On Nov 14, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
Job declined.

Will watch from the sidlines as other elders fix.

Hmmmmmmm,......dis one fear me oh! If Gazzuz won't touch it, forget it op!!!

1 Like

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by Akaewu: 10:05am On Nov 14, 2017
Goodluck bro....
Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by Scammer(m): 10:55am On Nov 14, 2017
enitiObanke:

Hmmmmmmm,......dis one fear me oh! If Gazzuz won't touch it, forget it op!!!
Because Gazuz is the God of vehicles?

You need to stop this buttlicking and rearrange your thinking before it's too late.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by Nobody: 4:33pm On Nov 14, 2017
But Oga GAZZUZZ why did you deny this job? Any concrete reasons?
Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by Lexusgs430: 4:40pm On Nov 14, 2017
dumo1:
But Oga GAZZUZZ why did you deny this job? Any concrete reasons?

As the elected mouthpiece for GAZZUZZ....... Simply because the car is not going to be in Lagos..... It's heading east-bound ......

1 Like

Re: 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5 by Nobody: 6:00pm On Nov 14, 2017
Lexusgs430:

As the elected mouthpiece for GAZZUZZ....... Simply because the car is not going to be in Lagos..... It's heading east-bound ......

Ok Sir.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Car Mileage And Engine Performance / Mercedes Displays New Police Vehicles, Including X-class Truck / Mention Any Car Issues You Are Currently Experiencing And We'll Help You Solve I

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.