Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,732 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:05 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (52) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1311672 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 9:06am On Jul 15, 2018
justwise:

Yes. My landlady contacted my previous landlord and my employer.

This types of landlords are very few and far between...... Or she packaged/factored it into the rent.....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:18am On Jul 15, 2018
Lexusgs430:

This types of landlords are very few and far between...... Or she packaged/factored it into the rent.....

How will that work?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 9:27am On Jul 15, 2018
justwise:
[/b]

How will that work?

Instead of charging a rent of £500 pcm, the amount for referencing is bundled into the rental figure, thereby charging £505 pcm on a 12 month rental agreement.....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:31am On Jul 15, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Instead of charging a rent of £500 pcm, the amount for referencing is bundled into the rental figure, thereby charging £505 pcm on a 12 month rental agreement.....

There is no way to know if that is the case because monthly rental figure does not come with a breakdown of charges.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by shaybebaby(f): 9:34am On Jul 15, 2018
Lexusgs430:

She doesn't need to. If she pays for referencing, it is a deductible to lower her tax liability.

Rule of thumb, if the expense is incurred solely for the purposes of the business(in this case property rental), then yes it can be deducted from revenues before paying tax.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 9:50am On Jul 15, 2018
shaybebaby:

She doesn't need to. If she pays for referencing, it is a deductible to lower her tax liability.

Rule of thumb, if the expense is incurred solely for the purposes of the business(in this case property rental), then yes it can be deducted from revenues before paying tax.

Regardless of thought, the bottom line is the referencing fee is still charged (albeit expenses deductable), to the landlords benefit........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 9:51am On Jul 15, 2018
justwise:

There is no way to know if that is the case because monthly rental figure does not come with a breakdown of charges.

Very well...... But if she has insurance policies to protect her against tenants. When it's time to make a claim, one of the documents the insurance company would usually request to see is.......... You guessed right......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:57am On Jul 15, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Very well...... But if she has insurance policies to protect her against tenants. When it's time to make a claim, one of the documents the insurance company would usually request to see is.......... You guessed right......

Dude who does that?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 10:00am On Jul 15, 2018
justwise:

Dude who does that?

Landlords that wish to protect their investments............

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by shaybebaby(f): 10:04am On Jul 15, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Regardless of thought, the bottom line is the referencing fee is still charged (albeit expenses deductable), to the landlords benefit........
Ok.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 10:09am On Jul 15, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Landlords that wish to protect their investments............

Landlord insurance is not taken out to protect landlords against the tenant, its the same way you insure your own house you live in, your gadgets, car or any priced part of your body.

My landlady insured her house yrs before i moved in even when it was unoccupied
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 10:12am On Jul 15, 2018
justwise:

Landlord insurance is not taken out to protect landlords against the tenant, its the same way you insure your own house you live in, your gadgets, car or any priced part of your body.

It is, 100%.....

Building insurance is very different from landlord insurance....

Building insurance protects the building

Landlord insurance protects the landlord vs tenant

Content insurance should be undertaken by the tenant, if he wishes to protect his contents.....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 1:33pm On Jul 15, 2018
justwise:
[/b]

No landlord has ever asked me to pay for referring, yes they ask for it but they don't ask you to pay for it but letting agency does that is the difference.

You must be very lucky.

Look at it this way , if the landlord pays for your reference and it comes out wrong or black listed , then the next tenant and the next one. Who will bear the cost? Like I said previously , the landlord might ask you to pay initially and later refund it back to you if it comes out all right. If the tenant is recommended then the landlord might not bother taking up a credit check.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 2:10pm On Jul 15, 2018
justwise:

Yes. My landlady contacted my previous landlord and my employer and i paid £0000 for it

No check by the NLA?
I’m sorry to ask, but are you talking about renting a room or renting a whole property?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 2:21pm On Jul 15, 2018
RalphJean:

No check by the NLA?
I’m sorry to ask, but are you talking about renting a room or renting a whole property?

I really don't know where you guys have being renting your house from, you lots got a lot of money to throw around.

Let me put it this way..from renting a room to studio flat to a house in Hampshire, in Bedfordshire and and Yorkshire, in all these counties i have lived in no single landlord/landlady has ever charged me for reference.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 2:24pm On Jul 15, 2018
marylandcakes:

You must be very lucky.

Look at it this way , if the landlord pays for your reference and it comes out wrong or black listed , then the next tenant and the next one. Who will bear the cost? Like I said previously , the landlord might ask you to pay initially and later refund it back to you if it comes out all right. If the tenant is recommended then the landlord might not bother taking up a credit check.

Lucky for more than 10yrs? Why have i not won lottery..

It cost bloody nothing to get a reference from previous landlord, letting agencies charge for it because its a way making money.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 3:07pm On Jul 15, 2018
justwise:

I really don't know where you guys have being renting your house from, you lots got a lot of money to throw around.

Let me put it this way..from renting a room to studio flat to a house in Hampshire, in Bedfordshire and and Yorkshire, in all these counties i have lived in no single landlord/landlady has ever charged me for reference.

I haven’t lived in any of those counties. But I can talk about my experience in London.
The only time referencing was not done and paid for were times when I was looking for rooms in flatshares.
But for whole properties, ALL the PRIVATE landlords have had to use NLA to do a referencing for me.
And I have had to PAY.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 3:35pm On Jul 15, 2018
RalphJean:

I haven’t lived in any of those counties. But I can talk about my experience in London.
The only time referencing was not done and paid for were times when I was looking for rooms in flatshares.
But for whole properties, ALL the PRIVATE landlords have had to use NLA to do a referencing for me.
And I have had to PAY.

You paid because you want to, its not a requirement by law to pay for that
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 3:57pm On Jul 15, 2018
justwise:

You are searching in a wrong place, use gumtree and select private landlord OR place an ad in gumtree(free) and drop your contact detail people with a house to rent will contact you including letting agencies and scammers.

I'm telling you this from personal experience, immediately i placed my ad on gumtree a scammer contacted me for a house to rent then i asked for details and pictures of the house and that was sent to me in no time.

It a lovely house and the deposit was very reasonable, he told me that he wanted somebody who will look after the house because he is always traveling bla bla bla, when i looked at the address of the property i discovered that i know the street which is just few minutes walk from my house and the email he contacted me with in gumtree was different from the one he used when sending me the property details.

Then i knew that if ran a search with the gumtree email nothing will come out because gumtree would have probably done that too.

When i ran a search with second email i came across many victims of his scam from all over the UK including US then i contacted gumtree to report it.

The rest of people who contacted are genuine and one of them is my current landlady.

Thanks for this. That deposit and reference money no be here.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 3:58pm On Jul 15, 2018
Hi Guys.

Please I’m in need of live-in help for childcare. I would prefer an African. Anyone with pointers or a contact that can help should pls share or pchat me. Gracias.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 4:35pm On Jul 15, 2018
shaybebaby:

So how many tenants referencing will she pay for before she gets the right one ?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by shaybebaby(f): 4:38pm On Jul 15, 2018
marylandcakes:

So how many tenants referencing will she pay for before she gets the right one ?
Doesn't matter, might be in her interest doing it that way regardless.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 4:38pm On Jul 15, 2018
justwise:

Lucky for more than 10yrs? Why have i not won lottery..

It cost bloody nothing to get a reference from previous landlord, letting agencies charge for it because its a way making money.

It cost under £50 to do a credit check, but it all adds up if you have to do it for about 5 tenants out of your pocket. There are some tenants that know they wil fail it but still let the landlord incur the cost.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 4:39pm On Jul 15, 2018
shaybebaby:

Doesn't matter, might be in her interest doing it that way regardless.

How ? I don’t understand how being out of pocket wil help a landlord..
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 4:52pm On Jul 15, 2018
justwise:

Are you talking of building insurance?

Landlords insurance is different and it doesn’t cost that much it’s between £70 to £200 for private landlords. And it is to protect the landlord against bad tenants and void periods. But if you don’t reference your tenant properly you can forget about making a claim.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 5:04pm On Jul 15, 2018
marylandcakes:

It cost under £50 to do a credit check, but it all adds up if you have to do it for about 5 tenants out of your pocket. There are some tenants that know they wil fail it but still let the landlord incur the cost.

..and if the tenant refused to pay for credit check? There is a reason many landlords don't ask for credit check and reference fees.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 5:06pm On Jul 15, 2018
justwise:

..and if the tenant refused to pay for credit check? There is a reason many landlords don't ask for credit check and reference fees.

Then he won’t be given the property.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 5:09pm On Jul 15, 2018
marylandcakes:

Are you talking of building insurance?

Landlords insurance is different and it doesn’t cost that much it’s between £70 to £200 for private landlords. And it is to protect the landlord against bad tenants and void periods. But if you don’t reference your tenant properly you can forget about making a claim.

..and you think its not a lot of money? Imagine if you have many houses and you have to pay 70-200 monthly for each of your tenant?

You are not going to do well as a business person.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 5:11pm On Jul 15, 2018
marylandcakes:

Then he won’t be given the property.
That is lost of earning for him then and council tax payment after one month

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 5:18pm On Jul 15, 2018
justwise:
That is lost of earning for him then and council tax payment after one month

Don’t forget there will be other tenants after the property and to some landlords it’s is better to have a void period than have a bad tenant who you will have to take to court to get out of the property. You will not only loose rent , but there will be legal and court fees and the stress that goes with it.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 5:24pm On Jul 15, 2018
marylandcakes:

Don’t forget there will be other tenants after the property and to some landlords it’s is better to have a void period than have a bad tenant who you will have to take to court to get out of the property. You will not only loose rent , but there will be legal and court fees and the stress that goes with it.

Don't also forget that there are other properties in the market as well.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 5:28pm On Jul 15, 2018
justwise:

..and you think its not a lot of money? Imagine if you have many houses and you have to pay 70-200 monthly for each of your tenant?

You are not going to do well as a business person.

If you have many properties you will get landlord insurance for all your combined properties. I.e one landlord insurance will cover all your buy to let properties.

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.