Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,672 members, 7,823,898 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (51) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1311731 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by RalphJean: 12:47pm On Jul 12, 2018
babarexo:
Mean Break the rules to concentrate on work.how much can one earn.

Which Work?
Basic low level jobs?
The ones that pay £12 per hour max right?

I hope someone hasn’t deceived someone that you can get a £100 per hour job.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 1:12pm On Jul 12, 2018
Lexusgs430:

LOL......... It saves carrying cash for purchases below £30.00.....

You would even forget the location of your Debit/Credit cards..

You can forget ur cards when u r a big man now, me I am still coming up grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 1:25pm On Jul 12, 2018
babarexo:
Paid your first year fees of 5500gbp for a master course in full, travel to the uk on student visa to work almost full time for two years in order to raise cash to stand a better chance to apply for a canadian or Australian student visa or migrate else where before your student Brp expires.What is the possibility of raising 10000gbp in 16months working almost full time since you are not concerned about the uk degree.Advise needed please.Thanks.

You have been advised but the usual mentality of "Nigerians abroad are lying" is preventing your from listening.
I know you may not need advise but I will still say this again.

1. If you have paid for the course ask for refund.

2. You can not hustle and raise the cash for any PR because you will be receiving minimum wage which you think its a lot by converting it to naira but after you have paid your rent, transportation, food, phone, utilities bills etc you will be left with nothing.

3. You can not raise that money in 16months and you can not be on Tier 4 visa and not go to school and be working (work is even scarce for legal pple), the school mark attendance like almost every month with the aid of UKVI (Dt is it in simple english) so once you abscond, you become illegal and say bye bye to your dreams of any country's PR again.

4. The money you have in Nigeria can satisfactorily see you through any PR scheme with additional hustle UK masters won't add any special value to it.

5. Lastly, Why do you think admission for UK masters is easy and fees expensive, there are enough checks in place to ensure you don't stay back as an illegal migrants.

6. If it's UK masters by force u want, come oo and you have 2 choices which are to stay illegally or start extending ur stay with PhD and accumulate the years (research on the cost of that).

Ire ooo!!!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 9:29pm On Jul 12, 2018
I return with my financial bug bear issue........

If you are considering buying a property in the UK, key terms you MUST be aware off.......

Leasehold

Interest only mortgage

Freehold

The best to buy is a freehold property....... Completely avoid buying interest only mortgages, like a fish bone stuck in your throat....

Leasehold properties are good, but ensure you understand all the key facts, and all payments due going forward + repairs due etc etc etc

Also avoid buying council flats, like a plague in the night.....

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sutelk: 10:28pm On Jul 12, 2018
Mummy oh, cold de catch me oh. And them say na summer be this. Wetin person go do when winter come? Who send me this message?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 10:37pm On Jul 12, 2018
sutelk:
Mummy oh, cold de catch me oh. And them say na summer be this. Wetin person go do when winter come? Who send me this message?

Which cold? By the time proper cold enter, you go turn to kpanla (stock fish) b dat nah.......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 12:27pm On Jul 13, 2018
Lexusgs430:

If you are considering buying a property in the UK, key terms you MUST be aware off.......

Leasehold

Interest only mortgage

Freehold

The best to buy is a freehold property....... Completely avoid buying interest only mortgages, like a fish bone stuck in your throat....

Leasehold properties are good, but ensure you understand all the key facts, and all payments due going forward + repairs due etc etc etc

Please can you elaborate.
Esp for those of us JJCs here on various visas
And the help to buy and those eligible.
Also 15,000 pounds savings...Can you be said to have hammered yet?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 4:28pm On Jul 13, 2018
DaveChapelle:

Please can you elaborate.
Esp for those of us JJCs here on various visas
And the help to buy and those eligible.
Also 15,000 pounds savings...Can you be said to have hammered yet?

£15,000 is a big amount to save, but it depends on what you are saving for.

If its to buy a property, I would say that £15K would be swallowed in administration. By the time you work out stamp duty payments, conveyancing, brokers fee, survey cost etc etc..... The 15K would simply varnish....

Anybody can buy a property, but certain visa conditions would require higher deposit payments by the lenders (the lender never loses)....

The term hammering is truly subjective...... Who has hammered more, someone that has £15K savings or the other party that already owns a property, £0 savings, but sitting on a £600K equity?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 5:39pm On Jul 13, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Leasehold

Interest only mortgage

Freehold

All this terms still dey confuse me, maybe when I get to that stage sha, but on the average what's the price one should look at in getting a 3bed semi detached in west Midlands and deposit that will be required?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:19pm On Jul 13, 2018
fatima04:

All this terms still dey confuse me, maybe when I get to that stage sha, but on the average what's the price one should look at in getting a 3bed semi detached in west Midlands and deposit that will be required?

The era of 100% mortgages, dissappeared with the credit crunch...

Rightmove, zoopla etc etc, would be a nice portal to get property prices.....

Deposits requirements are lenders specific, but the higher the deposit, the better the rate one can bargain for..... But safe to have a standby deposit of about £30- £50K (circumstances and lenders dependent).....

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 11:41pm On Jul 13, 2018
Lexusgs430:

£15,000 is a big amount to save, but it depends on what you are saving for.

If its to buy a property, I would say that £15K would be swallowed in administration. By the time you work out stamp duty payments, conveyancing, brokers fee, survey cost etc etc..... The 15K would simply varnish....

Anybody can buy a property, but certain visa conditions would require higher deposit payments by the lenders (the lender never loses)....

The term hammering is truly subjective...... Who has hammered more, someone that has £15K savings or the other party that already owns a property, £0 savings, but sitting on a £600K equity?

Hasn't Govt waivered stamp duty on first time buyers...And if i'm putting down 5-10%...i'm still kampe innit?!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:07am On Jul 14, 2018
DaveChapelle:
Hasn't Govt waivered stamp duty on first time buyers...And if i'm putting down 5-10%...i'm still kampe innit?!

Stamp duty waived for properties below £300K, in some parts of London, you cannot get a property for £300K.

5/10% deposit? Very possibly, but 10/20% deposit I think is what most lenders request. Of course, the buyer would have to do their due diligence.

A property selling in July 2018 for £310K, could easily be selling for £350K in July 2019........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 2:26pm On Jul 14, 2018
Private landlord or letting agency?

Opinions and recommendations please
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 2:30pm On Jul 14, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Stamp duty waived for properties below £300K, in some parts of London, you cannot get a property for £300K.

5/10% deposit? Very possibly, but 10/20% deposit I think is what most lenders request. Of course, the buyer would have to do their due diligence.

A property selling in July 2018 for £310K, could easily be selling for £350K in July 2019........

you can get a house worth 500k in London for 160k in Peterborough....o, that's where my head is at. Makes life more easy and sensible
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 2:47pm On Jul 14, 2018
DaveChapelle:

you can get a house worth 500k in London for 160k in Peterborough....o, that's where my head is at. Makes life more easy and sensible

Person suppose wise up.......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 2:50pm On Jul 14, 2018
Inkredible:

Does not really matter.... Same laws are applicable in both situations ... ..

Ensure you read the government laws on rental, its available online, free....

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-rent/how-to-rent-the-checklist-for-renting-in-england

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 3:13pm On Jul 14, 2018
Inkredible:

Private landlord anytime anyday. No crazy deposit demand, no agency fees, no reference fees etc.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 3:42pm On Jul 14, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Does not really matter.... Same laws are applicable in both situations ... ..

Ensure you read the government laws on rental, its available online, free....

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-rent/how-to-rent-the-checklist-for-renting-in-england

Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 3:43pm On Jul 14, 2018
justwise:

Private landlord anytime anyday. No crazy deposit demand, no agency fees, no reference fees etc.

I thought same too. Thanks justwise.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 9:05pm On Jul 14, 2018
justwise:

Only a crazy landlord would put a tenant in his property without referencing. After watching tenants from hell its a big risk. What most reasonable landlords would do. Is ask you to pay for the reference if it comes out clean then it gets deducted from your rent. If not you will end up with a tenant who will use your property to grow weed etc.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 9:25pm On Jul 14, 2018
marylandcakes:

Only a crazy landlord would put a tenant in his property without referencing. After watching tenants from hell its a big risk. What most reasonable landlords would do. Is ask you to pay for the reference if it comes out clean then it gets deducted from your rent. If not you will end up with a tenant who will use your property to grow weed etc.

You put it so succinctly.........

All landlords would demand a deposit (which must be protected), all landlords would reference (at a cost to the tenant) + the landlord would have to pay an estate or similar, to conduct referencing (at a cost to the tenant) + plus the landlord paying a retainer fee to the estate agency (cost carefully bundled into the rental agreement)...

The beauty of an Estate agent, if any issues arises you would simply call the estate agent to rectify....

If you privately rent, and your landlord resides abroad. And all the landlord wants is their rent.... I need not say any more...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 9:31pm On Jul 14, 2018
justwise:

Really shocked cool shocked I did not know this oo, but haven't seen this search options for private LL on Zoopla and right move. How do we get this?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 9:48pm On Jul 14, 2018
Lexusgs430:

All landlords would demand a deposit (which must be protected), all landlords would reference (at a cost to the tenant) + the landlord would have to pay an estate or similar, to conduct referencing (at a cost to the tenant) + plus the landlord paying a retainer fee to the estate agency (cost carefully bundled into the rental agreement)...

The beauty of an Estate agent, if any issues arises you would simply call the estate agent to rectify....

If you privately rent, and your landlord resides abroad. And all the landlord wants is their rent.... I need not say any more...

I meant if both tenant and landlord want to bypass estate agent. Of course the landlord will collect the deposit but what can I months deposit cover if the tenant damages the property and leaves rent arrears.. Some tenants are wicked , sometimes it is better for the property to be left empty than putting a bad tenant in.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 9:52pm On Jul 14, 2018
marylandcakes:

I meant if both tenant and landlord want to bypass estate agent. Of course the landlord will collect the deposit but what can I months deposit cover if the tenant damages the property and leaves rent arrears.. Some tenants are wicked , sometimes it is better for the property to be left empty than putting a bad tenant in.

No tenants activities can be predicted, it's simply a gamble for the landlord. A perfectly good referenced tenant, can also easily turn rogue.....

If the tenant leaves rent arrears, some legal routes are available to chase the debt (although does not guarantee payment). But the tenant is fully exposed.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 9:53pm On Jul 14, 2018
fatima04:

Really shocked cool shocked I did not know this oo, but haven't seen this search options for private LL on Zoopla and right move. How do we get this?

Man know Man or Woman know Woman or Woman know Man ......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 9:59pm On Jul 14, 2018
Lexusgs430:

No tenants activities can be predicted, it's simply a gamble for the landlord. A perfectly good referenced tenant, can also easily turn rogue.....

If the tenant leaves rent arrears, some legal routes are available to chase the debt (although does not guarantee payment). But the tenant is fully exposed.

Yes you are right but not doing a check is a bigger risk
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 10:10pm On Jul 14, 2018
marylandcakes:

Yes you are right but not doing a check is a bigger risk

Which is why some already stung landlords, usually request a guarantor......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 8:26am On Jul 15, 2018
marylandcakes:

No landlord has ever asked me to pay for referring, yes they ask for it but they don't ask you to pay for it but letting agency does that is the difference.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 8:29am On Jul 15, 2018
Lexusgs430:

All landlords would demand a deposit (which must be protected),all landlords would reference (at a cost to the tenant) + the landlord would have to pay an estate or similar, to conduct referencing (at a cost to the tenant) + plus the landlord paying a retainer fee to the estate agency (cost carefully bundled into the rental agreement)...

That is factually incorrect, not all landlords ask for a fee for referencing, when you are dealing with private landlord you bypass ALL charges from the middle-man(letting agent).

Only two landlords have ever asked me for reference for more than 10yrs i have being renting starting from my student days till date.

I recently moved house and my landlady requested for the longest list of requirements that i have ever asked to submit..6months bank statements and payslips, employer's contact details, previous landlord contact details, credit check and evidence of my status here, i was not asked to pay a penny for any of these including credit record check.

Try that with letting agency and see how much it will cost you.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:54am On Jul 15, 2018
justwise:

That is factually incorrect, not all landlords ask for a fee for referencing, when you are dealing with private landlord you bypass ALL charges from the middle-man(letting agent).

Only two landlords have ever asked me for reference for more than 10yrs i have being renting starting from my student days till date.

I recently moved house and my landlady requested for the longest list of requirements that i have ever asked to submit..6months bank statements and payslips, employer's contact details, previous landlord contact details, credit check and evidence of my status here, i was not asked to pay a penny for any of these including credit record check.

Try that with letting agency and see how much it will cost you.

So are you saying the landlord would reference you at a cost to themselves or not bother referencing at all?

Requesting tenants immigration status, is a compulsory legislation that UKBA enacted.... Failure to adhere to this regulation could attract a fine of about £3K.....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:02am On Jul 15, 2018
fatima04:

You are searching in a wrong place, use gumtree and select private landlord OR place an ad in gumtree(free) and drop your contact detail people with a house to rent will contact you including letting agencies and scammers.

I'm telling you this from personal experience, immediately i placed my ad on gumtree a scammer contacted me for a house to rent then i asked for details and pictures of the house and that was sent to me in no time.

It a lovely house and the deposit was very reasonable, he told me that he wanted somebody who will look after the house because he is always traveling bla bla bla, when i looked at the address of the property i discovered that i know the street which is just few minutes walk from my house and the email he contacted me with in gumtree was different from the one he used when sending me the property details.

Then i knew that if ran a search with the gumtree email nothing will come out because gumtree would have probably done that too.

When i ran a search with second email i came across many victims of his scam from all over the UK including US then i contacted gumtree to report it.

The rest of people who contacted are genuine and one of them is my current landlady.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:05am On Jul 15, 2018
Lexusgs430:

So are you saying the landlord would reference you at a cost to themselves or not bother referencing at all?

Requesting tenants immigration status, is a compulsory legislation that UKBA enacted.... Failure to adhere to this regulation could attract a fine of about £3K.....

Yes. My landlady contacted my previous landlord and my employer and i paid £0000 for it

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.