Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,089 members, 7,811,054 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:44 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (54) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1302931 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:02pm On Jul 18, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

It's boring especially when you have cruise control... Sleepfest my brother

The driving is nicer with cruise control, just set and rest your legs (eyes wide open)....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 10:46am On Jul 20, 2018
Happy Friday oo my e-fam. Please what is the best and easiest credit card to apply for? Need something to build my credit score since we can't even check our credit score yet.

I know this has been dealt with before but I can't find the info needed. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sharpboyus(m): 10:48am On Jul 20, 2018
fatima04:
Happy Friday oo my e-fam. Please what is the best and easiest credit card to apply for? Need something to build my credit score since we can't even check our credit score yet.

Capital one. 50 pounds credit limit for a start and never spend more than half of your credit limit.

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:03am On Jul 20, 2018
fatima04:

Apply for a credit card through your bank (salary account), it's probably the easiest route.

Avoid numerous applications, it would have a negative impact on your credit score. Each credit check for credit, leaves a footprint on your details.....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 11:19am On Jul 20, 2018
sharpboyus:

Capital one. 50 pounds credit limit for a start and never spend more than half of your credit limit.

Thanks. Will research on this
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 11:21am On Jul 20, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Apply for a credit card through your bank (salary account), it's probably the easiest route.

Avoid numerous applications, it would have a negative impact on your credit score. Each credit check for credit, leaves a footprint on your details.....

Thanks. My challenge is the website (halifax) is telling me I am not eligible and I believe they will also use this check.

I guess the issue is the less than 3years UK living history.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:35am On Jul 20, 2018
fatima04:

Thanks. My challenge is the website (halifax) is telling me I am not eligible and I believe they will also use this check.

Have you tried applying through your local branch? If Halifax does not offer you, your only choice is the open market.....

As stated, capital one is a good place to try.......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 11:49am On Jul 20, 2018
fatima04:

I got my first credit card from Vanquis. They started on with 250 credit and its now 4k. Their APR is crazy but they will help you build your credit and increase your credit limit over time.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 2:09pm On Jul 20, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Have you tried applying through your local branch? If Halifax does not offer you, your only choice is the open market.....

As stated, capital one is a good place to try.......

Yeah contacted them.and was told I am not eligible because of the address history. Thanks will check out capital one
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 2:09pm On Jul 20, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

I got my first credit card from Vanquis. They started on with 250 credit and its now 4k. Their APR is crazy but they will help you build your credit and increase your credit limit over time.

Not bad. Thanks will check them out
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 4:40pm On Jul 20, 2018
Lexusgs430:

The driving is nicer with cruise control, just set and rest your legs (eyes wide open)....

i always use cruise ctrl in those funny 40/ 50 MPH speed restrictions
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 4:55pm On Jul 20, 2018
DaveChapelle:

i always use cruise ctrl in those funny 40/ 50 MPH speed restrictions

I can see you are trying very hard to protect your licence... grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 5:07pm On Jul 20, 2018
Lexusgs430:

I can see you are trying very hard to protect your licence... grin

So far so good, and with the waze app,it even warns me of police vehicles ahead.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:11pm On Jul 20, 2018
DaveChapelle:

So far so good, and with the waze app,it even warns me of police vehicles ahead.

Till it is an undercover vehicle, perfectly blended into the mix.....

Waze would surely miss that one, all you would see are blue lights magically flashing from places unseen...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sutelk: 10:14pm On Jul 20, 2018
So I loss big time today. Won't try this kind of adventure again for a very long time. Na God say make I carry my debit card today.
So at times after work, I just get on any bus get on the top deck and go round the city. Most of the time the bus brings me back to the same stop I boarded after going round the city, at times I alight when I sight anything of interest and still find my way home with Google map. This is my way of exploring the city.
Today the son of man enter oyibo "One chance". So I got on this bus and found myself inside one Bush near an airfield far outside town. I was busy taking pictures of old airplanes when I heard the driver calling " Last stop". I was like, last stop Ke, are u not going back to town? The guy said, no this is the last bus for today, the next bus is 7am tomorrow. Come and see how cold and heat catch me at the same time, wetin I come find for here. Finally I was able to get a cab back to town, that was after coughing out £20. Lesson learnt.
In other news, had my first haircut today. If somebody told me that one day I will use the equivalent of 10k naira for a haircut I will not believe. Those days of haircut every 2 weeks are over, watch out for my new Afro look. Got to stop thinking in naira before I give myself hypertension.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 10:53pm On Jul 20, 2018
sutelk:
So I loss big time today. Won't try this kind of adventure again for a very long time. Na God say make I carry my debit card today.
So at times after work, I just get on any bus get on the top deck and go round the city. Most of the time the bus brings me back to the same stop I boarded after going round the city, at times I alight when I sight anything of interest and still find my way home with Google map. This is my way of exploring the city.
Today the son of man enter oyibo "One chance". So I got on this bus and found myself inside one Bush near an airfield far outside town. I was busy taking pictures of old airplanes when I heard the driver calling " Last stop". I was like, last stop Ke, are u not going back to town? The guy said, no this is the last bus for today, the next bus is 7am tomorrow. Come and see how cold and heat catch me at the same time, wetin I come find for here. Finally I was able to get a cab back to town, that was after coughing out £20. Lesson learnt.
In other news, had my first haircut today. If somebody told me that one day I will use the equivalent of 10k naira for a haircut I will not believe. Those days of haircut every 2 weeks are over, watch out for my new Afro look. Got to stop thinking in naira before I give myself hypertension.

Can't imagine what you will do when you top up used up data/ get new glasses, go to dentist or start driving lessons... £20 is not too bad
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 10:59pm On Jul 20, 2018
sutelk:
Babyliss hair clipper is 17 pounds on ebay. You can do it yourself every week.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 11:11pm On Jul 20, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

Babyliss hair clipper is 17 pounds on ebay. You can do it yourself every week.
lol... Only if you like gorimapa... Else don't be like me after investing 100gbp in mirror and clipper and cutting nonsense.... Not worth the stress

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 11:25pm On Jul 20, 2018
DaveChapelle:
lol... Only if you like gorimapa... Else don't be like me after investing 100gbp in mirror and clipper and cutting nonsense.... Not worth the stress

Who still cut Rico babe or tyson in this day and age. grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 12:06am On Jul 21, 2018
DaveChapelle:

On the contrary, invest in a super taper wahl clipper. It retails for about £50.

I don't barb gorimapa, I do the fades on the sides, friction my forehead and barb my hair correctly (you would think a proper barber did it). Practice makes perfect (been styling my hair myself for over 22 years).......

From start to finish, all it takes is 20 minutes. Clean my kit, apply my clipper refresher oil, pack it up and jump into the shower (must be shower gel and not soap).....

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sutelk: 10:32am On Jul 21, 2018
Lexusgs430:

On the contrary, invest in a super taper wahl clipper. It retails for about £50.

I don't barb gorimapa, I do the fades on the sides, friction my forehead and barb my hair correctly (you would think a proper barber did it). Practice makes perfect (been styling my hair myself for over 22 years).......

From start to finish, all it takes is 20 minutes. Clean my kit, apply my clipper refresher oil, pack it up and jump into the shower (must be shower gel and not soap).....
I want to be like you when I grow up.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 11:28am On Jul 21, 2018
sutelk:

Me too grin grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:48am On Jul 21, 2018
sutelk:

You are already grown up already..... Next stage is grandpa levels.......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:50am On Jul 21, 2018
marylandcakes:

Me too grin grin grin

After eating loads of Maryland cakes, you must grow by force.....

Growing tall or wide, grow is grow.....

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jul 21, 2018
Good day fam, the contributions here have been lit and helpful.
Pls o, I got a job offer in Romford, East London. I never wanted to stay in London cos of its high cost of living but I am inclined to take this one.
Is anyone conversant with the cost of living at Romford compared to Central London, esp cost of housing. Na only me dey waka come, so not looking at a big house.
Every help and advice would be appreciated.
@lexusgs430 Pls help your boy.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 1:33pm On Jul 21, 2018
I hope you people haven't bought clipper for you wives sha grin grin,
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 1:57pm On Jul 21, 2018
fatima04:

I bought for myself... cut the hair since!!! Couldn’t deal with the drama sad

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 2:05pm On Jul 21, 2018
EsotericMonk:
Good day fam, the contributions here have been lit and helpful.
Pls o, I got a job offer in Romford, East London. I never wanted to stay in London cos of its high cost of living but I am inclined to take this one.
Is anyone conversant with the cost of living at Romford compared to Central London, esp cost of housing. Na only me dey waka come, so not looking at a big house.
Every help and advice would be appreciated.
@lexusgs430 Pls help your boy.

You cost of living could be reduced, if you resided closer to your place of work.

The term cheap accommodation in London went with away in the 90's.... Don't take me down memory lane, when we use to rent a room for £20.00 per week including all bills...... The good old days..... Biko, I don digress.....

Your option for accommodations are either HMO's or renting a room in a property. Places like gumtree could be a very helpful hunting ground (but shine your eyes wella o)....

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 2:07pm On Jul 21, 2018
fatima04:

By the time you keep spending £70 a fortnight for your braids and taking it down without enjoying your £70........

The wives would buy the clipper themselves........ grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jul 21, 2018
Lexusgs430:

You cost of living could be reduced, if you resided closer to your place of work.

The term cheap accommodation in London went with away in the 90's.... Don't take me down memory lane, when we use to rent a room for £20.00 per week including all bills...... The good old days..... Biko, I don digress.....

Your option for accommodations are either HMO's or renting a room in a property. Places like gumtree could be a very helpful hunting ground (but shine your eyes wella o)....
Thanks alot. A friend suggested I take a house in Essex as its cheaper and not too far from Ldn. Is this advisable?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 2:47pm On Jul 21, 2018
EsotericMonk:

Thanks alot. A friend suggested I take a house in Essex as its cheaper and not too far from Ldn. Is this advisable?

Essex is a big county.... Colchester is Essex too....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 2:50pm On Jul 21, 2018
EsotericMonk:

The further into Essex you reside, the more expensive your cost of transportation + more time to travel.....

The cost and time saved, might equate the figure staying closer to your work address......

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.