Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,184 members, 7,957,429 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 12:22 PM

Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical - Religion (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical (48076 Views)

Daddy Freeze Criticizes RCCG On Tithe Banner "Don't Be A Robber! Pay Your Tithe" / "It Pays To Pay Your Tithe" - D'banj Stands With The "Sheeple" / Do This With Your Tithe Instead Of Giving It To Private Jet Owners (see Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by Lotechi(m): 11:03am On Nov 24, 2017
Saintinoo:
so why do your pastors read from passages of the old constitutions in church and also bringing up the laws of tithe that are in the old constitution, you bleeped up by bringing in political terms into God's issue.
. first the usage of "constitution" was to drive home my point it was not meant to be taken literally.
second, Jesus as recorded in Mathew 19vs8 corrected a notion that "what you needed to divorce your wife was a letter of divorcement"...so having corrected this notion, will it be right to use the old testament way to divorce a wife or husband the usage of " constitution" in this context is seen as a "guide".

1 Like

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by miketayo(m): 11:05am On Nov 24, 2017
Saintinoo:
you mean the 10 commandment? Are not for christains? So i should fornicate, steal, lie, ?

if you love God will u fornicate, steal or lie?
if u love ur neighbor ll u lie to him/her or steal from him/her?

1 Like

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by jaymichael(m): 11:06am On Nov 24, 2017
Larrey:
I pay my tithe because I believe in it(what you believe will work for you) and nobody is forcing me to pay it. They don't lay emphasis on tithe in my church. Nobody should quote me on this plssssssss
Why shouldn't anyone quote you? You made a submission that I totally agree with. Personally I tithe because I believe in it to attract blessings to me. Those that don't believe in tithing, I have no words of discouragement for them. We are in the dispensation of grace and this issue of tithe isn't something that is set in stone in this dispensation of grace that supersedes the law.
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by Saintinoo(m): 11:08am On Nov 24, 2017
miketayo:

if you love God will u fornicate, steal or lie?
if u love ur neighbor ll u lie to him/her or steal from him/her?
why are you contradicating yourself? Is it not from thesame OT you knew that all these things (fornicating, telling lies and stealing) are sin?
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by PointZerom: 11:09am On Nov 24, 2017
Gggg102:

I don't understand you fully

All I know is that you should give not because someone force you to but you should give because your heart pushes you to.
There is nothing wrong if your pastor reminds you but he shouldn't force you.
Paul reminded the Christians of the importance of giving but he did not compel them to give

Is it wrong to force your subordinates to do what will be beneficial to them?. I know that Jesus flogged people for doing the wrong thing and indirectly forcing them to get it right for their own good.
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by aribisala0(m): 11:10am On Nov 24, 2017
I have read the bible over 100 times.
Indeed the new testament is a modification of Judaism to suit Europeans just as Islam is a modification of Judaism to suit Arabs
If indeed you have read the bible you must realise that Jehova the deity of the new old testament is very different from the deity of the New Testament.
No matter how much you try and dress it up.
Jehova was a very blood thirsty and vengeful deity. He was the God of the Hebrews .and his love was for "offerings". Mostly blood offerings.
Christianity tries to persuade us that this same deity has become a vegetarian even though in he old testament he clearly states that he does not change.
The Jewish idea of offering is very similar to the idea of ebo riru among the Yorubas or other ritual sacrifices among other peoples. Whether or not there is God is left to individuals to choose but the idea that God chose one or other nation on earth (none of them black or African or Chinese or Indian) is a self referent delusion `with no basis in objective reality.

Doctrinally Judaism and Christianity are irreconciliable,
The idea of trinity is totally absurd and abhorrent from anything that the Old testament has to say.
It is very clear that Paul created a new religion that was further elaborated by the early churches in Europe with the idea of making it palatable to Europeans i.e permit eating pork,prohibit polygamy(Jews were polygamous) etc.

The idea of Jesus dying to take away the sins of the world is itself foolish.
God Died Illogical

The more you read the bible and the quran the less they make sense.

You must suspend your brain to engage with these religions
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by openmine(m): 11:10am On Nov 24, 2017
Saintinoo:
what religion did Jesus practices, i think that was what you say before you jumped into my mention
Am very sure u didn't go into a single scripture i presented before replying me....thats not how to learn!
We are always in a hurry to reply rather than learn from each other!
I gave U scriptures to prove my point!
As for Ur question,yes Jesus practiced Judaism because he was under the law....
but what happened after his death and resurrection is far more paramount....
The power of his resurrection is contained in the scriptures i quoted for U!

If i may ask did the "early Christians" observe the law of moses?

For the records,am not here to win an argument....am here to set the biblical records straight!
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by babaztee: 11:10am On Nov 24, 2017
You live and practise what you believe. Issue of Tithe is not an issue for argument, if you think you are too wise and refused to give to God what He demands from you, He will always have His own ways to get it from you. God cannot be mocked, whatever a man sows, that he will reap.
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by HeavenIsSoReall: 11:13am On Nov 24, 2017

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by miketayo(m): 11:13am On Nov 24, 2017
Saintinoo:
why are you contradicating yourself? Is it not from thesame OT you knew that all these things (fornicating, telling lies and stealing) are sin?

how is this contradicting? are u saying if u have never seen or heard about the bible or christainity u wont knw all these things are wrong ?

even before Christianity or Islam came to Africa it was a crime to do these things.

1 Like

Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by HeavenIsSoReall: 11:16am On Nov 24, 2017
babaztee:
You live and practise what you believe. Issue of Tithe is not an issue for argument, if you think you are too wise and refused to give to God what He demands from you, He will always have His own ways to get it from you. God cannot be mocked, whatever a man sows, that he will reap.

My dear this is the end time Christians should be careful. No Christian will be poor OR go to hell for paying tithe.
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by williamsofficial(m): 11:25am On Nov 24, 2017
hardasan:

The bible asked us to bring of our increase,
It could be livestock and foodstuffs or money.
You are free to give whichever applies to you. Or even use ur tithe to buy commodities to give to the church just as u can sell ur commodity and give money. None is set in stone.

Your stupidity deserves an award. The Malachi u quoted stated Tithes and Offering. You and your regioous scammer only threatens people with curse for not paying tithe but never for offering. oh I think I know why.....Offering is too small compared to Tithe
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by williamsofficial(m): 11:28am On Nov 24, 2017
babaztee:

Can you kindly shut the f*ck up. Christians like you are the reasons we keep having more atheist emerge from the church. how does this your comment even make a sense to you. if Christianity is now a matter of what individuals believes then I quite stressing myself. Iranu
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by namdo(m): 11:28am On Nov 24, 2017
All that would insist on living by the law shall be judged by the law. Now by the law shall no man be justified before Him. If you keep insisting then make sure you go ahead payingooooo so you will not be condemned finally. I cannot keep that law, I live by grace of the Lord Jesus. i am justified/sanctified by grace not by acts of obedience to the law. My source of blessing: Give, Give, Give and Give, good measures, pressed down, shaking together and running over shall men (through His grace) give me back. He that gives to the poor lends to the Lord. Stop being deceived by vain words of men's wisdom! Receive Jesus and live by grace and you will fulfill all the requirements of the law. grin
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by gaventa: 11:32am On Nov 24, 2017
Okay so can you tell me where the pastors are from ooo
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Sorry to differ with you.
But the giving of monetary offerings to the church as tithe is wrong, it is unbiblical and purely exploitative.

The Bible is perspicuous about tithing.
Deuteronomy 14 : 22-27
Explains the process of tithing which our devilish pastors never tell us.

Besides none of our Pastors in Nigeria are from the tribe of Levi (Only Levites receive tithes)

Kindly study it and be blessed.
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by uyplus(m): 11:35am On Nov 24, 2017
goldedprince:

But it say you must eat it in the house of god like you Christians call it, not in your house

Where did the bible state house of God? It said in the place he shall choose! God doesn't dwell in places of worship again as he used to dwell in the holy of holies! When Jesus resurrected the veil in the holy of holies was torn apart so we have access to God. So if i had to even go by mal 3 10, the heart of man is where God dwells, so I can pay a tenth of my earnings to myself, and feed myself to satisfaction as long as it pleases my maker! Mal 3 10 was for the Levite priest and it started from mal, it stated o ye priest! Besides the tithes in the bible paid by only the levites were yearly on agric produce. Nowhere was it ever mentioned as a monthly task! Why arent fornicators still not stoned to death? Oh, Is it because its an OT practice? Why aren't you killing non believers? When the wanted to stone the harlot to death and Jesus came to her rescue and said let he without sin cast the first stone, he should have allowed it now since it was the law then and Jesus didn't come to repeal the law but to fulfill it!
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by williamsofficial(m): 11:35am On Nov 24, 2017
namdo:
All that would insist on living by the law shall be judged by the law. Now by the law shall no man be justified before Him. If you keep insisting then make sure you go ahead payingooooo so you will not be condemned finally. I cannot keep that law, I live by grace of the Lord Jesus. i am justified/sanctified by grace not by acts of obedience to the law. My source of blessing: Give, Give, Give and Give, good measures, pressed down, shaking together and running over shall men (through His grace) give me back. He that gives to the poor lends to the Lord. Stop being deceived by vain words of men's wisdom! Receive Jesus and live by grace and you will fulfill all the requirements of the law. grin

You made alot of sense. But I must correct you that the scripture that said Give and it shall be given unto u....wasn't talking about financial giving but rather Judgement. Read the preceeding text. Read in context.
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by slowie(m): 11:36am On Nov 24, 2017
anonimi:

Today's pastors do NOT in any way represent Levites. I already shared Hebrews 7.
Read and digest it properly.
In addition, if you actually read Deuteronomy 14, as you claim, you would see that you give the strangers, orphans and widows directly ALONG with the non-property-owning Levites.

I also shared Malachi 1 here.
Read and digest it properly.
The fraudulently used Malachi 3 is directed at Levites ( who are NOT pastors today) for stealing and misappropriating their own portion of tithes received from Jews as stated in Deuteronomy 14.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3304018_image_jpeg_jpeg6f95b5e7a24ad4fc0808d6698fd37362

Read Number 18:14 and Jeremiah 33:21: Levites lead the worship in temple. they are servants of God. Pastors/Reverend/bishops perform such roles today. I don't want to confuse you further I would have asked you to read Revelation 1:6.
Having said that, it is important to note that religion is what is destroying the world. I'm not religious but am a Christian because I gave my life to Christ not because I attend a church. I'm saved by grace.
If you are attacking people that are paying tithe online, you are not better than ISIS or bokoharam who are 'defending' religion.
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by namdo(m): 11:40am On Nov 24, 2017
Now who are pastors? I will give you pastors according to my heart who will teach you knowledge and understanding! Are pastors the levites? Well God promised to make believers 'kings and priests' before Him. So every believer is a potential pastor if God gives the grace. The area in which a pastor should receive from you is in giving for his welfare seeing he is teaching and preaching to you the word of God. Be baptized in the Holy spirit and get educated by the Spirit. grin
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by slowie(m): 11:41am On Nov 24, 2017
williamsofficial:

Can you kindly shut the f*ck up. Christians like you are the reasons we keep having more atheist emerge from the church. how does this your comment even make a sense to you. if Christianity is now a matter of what individuals believes then I quite stressing myself. Iranu

With your choice of words it shows you are true son of your father. Continue!
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by Lotechi(m): 11:42am On Nov 24, 2017
kefman:

Anyone who still pay tithe should also look for a high priest to carry out animal sacrifices on behalf of his/her sins... Lol!
.... they should still have concubines and never read the bible because it was a taboo to touch the "ark", instead of giving to the church, they should burn their sacrifices as Abel, Cane and Noah did.....the list goes on and on. Christ came to give us life through the redefining of the religion of the Jews which came to be known as " Christianity ". The old testament has served it's purpose.
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by derecho(m): 11:43am On Nov 24, 2017
My brother, the topic sentence is:Tithe is biblical.
Thank God you ain't kicking against it but correct the wrong impression that MOST churches don't allow members to get married or do other things without tithe.Also understand that if tithe is a commandment from God it no longer becomes voluntary. First thing first bro.Are you convinced it's Biblical ?If yes,then obey God not minding the noise. We are not Christians because we attend churches but like Christ we Obey God's word.Tnx
Gggg102:

1 I'm not kicking against tithe
I'm kicking against compulsion of tithing or haven't you heard that most churches don't allow members to get married and do other things without tithe
or how curses are attached to non payment
if you want to tithe do it but it is not compulsory

in the new testament nobody paid tithe also
you

what God wants actually is a pure heart
who do you think is closer to God.

the man that pays tithe but does not live a Christian life or a the man that lives a Christian life but does not pay tithe
our manmade money is useless to God

it is okay to give in appreciation to God that is Thanksgiving. u can use ur tithe to thank God if you want but that does not make it compulsory

again the Christians in acts were not paying tithes... they were moved to give out of free will not compelled to do so like how it is practiced today

again I'm not against tithing(I prefer to call it giving 10% now)
people even give 10% in my church but they are not forced
the only thing that is announced is that if u want to pay come forward and they pray for you.
no preaching about tithe and how u will be cursed if u don't pay
no keeping of record of who pays so u will deny those who don't pay their rights
just free will.
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by buragidi(m): 11:43am On Nov 24, 2017
You are contradicting yourself. If we are all Priests, then who pays tithe to who and where is it written in the Bible that pastors are levites? Which verse in the Bible implies that? Go to Istreal, you see Levites there. Even they no longer receive tithes because the temple has been destroyed. If you claim pastors are spiritual levites, how come they receive phiscal tithes and not spiritual one. Jesus Christ was not a spiritual istrealites, he was a phisical one, but he could not receive tithe because he was not a levite. He was from the tribe of Judah. Priests never spend tithe in the Bible.
hardasan:

1peter 2vs 9
But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

Every one of us in the Christiandom are priests. The pastors receive tithes because they represent the lévites of Judaism. Pastoral work is full time. Fake Pastor or genuine Pastor, they work full time. So just as the lévites are given land and tithes, the pastors are given tithes and offerings.
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by williamsofficial(m): 11:44am On Nov 24, 2017
jaymichael:
Why shouldn't anyone quote you? You made a submission that I totally agree with. Personally I tithe because I believe in it to attract blessings to me. Those that don't believe in tithing, I have no words of discouragement for them. We are in the dispensation of grace and this issue of tithe isn't something that is set in stone in this dispensation of grace that supersedes the law.

The reason why some christians defend the doctrine of tithing is simply because they don't believe in eternal salvation or they are sincerely ignorant of what Christ really did.
Let me explain the Tithe principle in a contemporary way pls reason well now;
Your dad employed a Jamb tutor for you while you were preparing for Jamb last year.
Glory to God you blasted Jamb and scored 400/400 and Jamb decided to give you an all expenses scholarship to the prestigious Harvard university.
All your paper works was done and off to Harvard you went and was the best student in your set.
Two years later you came home for the summer break and found out that your former Jamb lesson teacher has been fraudulently collecting salary for all these two years for doing nothing. He had lied to your parents that if they don't pay him the salary you may loose your scholarship.
And because your parents isn't that educated and doesn't know exactly how this Harvard things work, they quickly did the "Nigerian common sense mathematics" (it's better we pay him since we are not even paying for our sons fees)
I know a reasonable person will be angry at the open eye scam....BUT its very sad that our supposed Harvard undergraduate doesn't see anything wrong with this. He has not just been scammed. He has been Brain washed. I am ashamed to call you a Harvard undergraduate.
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by namdo(m): 11:45am On Nov 24, 2017
williamsofficial:

You made alot of sense. But I must correct you that the scripture that said Give and it shall be given unto u....wasn't talking about financial giving but rather Judgement. Read the preceeding text. Read in context.
Thanks. Giving is of course not just financial. A lot can be said about it.
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by obailala(m): 11:46am On Nov 24, 2017
chisco82:

Please can you support the bolded with scriptural backup Or did you just assume that?
Permit me to respond with a question; even with the death and resurrection of Christ, are you by any means suggesting that the Mosaic Laws are still binding on new covenant Christians? And by new covenant Christians, I also mean the Gentile Christians under which Nigeria falls?
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by uyplus(m): 11:49am On Nov 24, 2017
Themandator:

I didn't cherry pick ...I am pointing out that your statement that tithe is on crop and not and never money doesn't hold water .... if it was incrop or produce of the land then the passage won't move to say ...so ther might be meat in mine house but would have read...so that might be all manners of land produce in mine house

Then when Jesus addressed his disciples before sending them out on evangelism he said they should not take shoe, coat that every labourer is worthy of his meat ....they ought t have asked him about clothes since meat is not same as coat or shoe. .....as the apostles preached Jesus expected their needs to be met by their new convert when he stated that every labourer was worthy of their hire .... God would use their peolel to pay them whatever their need was

You see, it is a word play. Bring ye all the tithe ....that mine House maybe full.....so that every need in mine house can be met without begging or gimmicks

Who was he addressing? Wasn't it the Levitical priest? Or do you have any contrary information not written in the bible? Or do you want to assume for the bible that it extends to non descendants of the tribe of Levi?
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by openmine(m): 11:58am On Nov 24, 2017
hardasan:

Acts 2 vs 44 - 47

44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;

45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.

46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

Acts ch 4 vs 35

And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.

The early church gave the apostles all. So which money again could they have given ad tithe ?

He/she asked U a simple question and the scriptures U provided said absolutely nothing about the apostles receiving tithes from the early Christians....
Even the one U highlighted explicitly stated that when they laid the money(not tithe) in the apostles's feet,its was distributed to all men according to their needs cheesy cheesy

Tithers want to look for a way to squeeze in 'tithe' any where money is spoken of grin grin
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by Nobody: 12:01pm On Nov 24, 2017
Matt. 23:23 Woe to you, scribes [teachers of the law: NIV] and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law -- judgment, mercy, and faith; these you ought to have done, without leaving the other undone.
Luke 11:42 But woe to you, Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God; these you ought to have done, without leaving the other undone.
1. In the context of Luke 11:41 true cleanliness of the conscience is achieved through freewill giving to the poor as compared to mandated giving of the law.
Luke 11:41 But rather give alms [charity: NAS; to the poor: NIV] of such things as you have, and, behold, all things are clean to you.
2. Jesus was BORN while full obedience to the Mosaic Law was required of Jews; Jesus LIVED while full obedience to the Mosaic Law was required; and he was KILLED while full obedience to the Mosaic Law was still required from Jews! The time-context of Matthew 23:23 is Law and not the New Covenant of grace for the Church.
Gal 4:4-5 But when the fullness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, to redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.
3. Jesus was telling his disciples about the sins and the woes he was placing on the Old Covenant Pharisees. He was not addressing the church under the New Covenant. Verses 2 and 3 are crucial for a correct understanding of verse 23.
Matt 23:1-2 Then Jesus spoke to the multitude, and to his disciples, Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat.
4. Jesus was condemning the scribes and Pharisees because of their high position as interpreters of the Law. This is the context of verses 2-12 before the woes on them begin. He is speaking TO his disciples ABOUT the dishonesty of their interpreters of the Mosaic Law. He is not discussing matters relating to the New Covenant church. He is “abasing” or “humbling” them with 8 woes from verses 12-36.
Matt 23:2-3 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do…
5. “Woe to you, scribes [teachers of the law: NIV] and Pharisees …” Matthew 23:23
Follow the word, “you.” It is absolutely clear that the “you” of Matthew 23:23 is the “scribes and Pharisees”! “You” neither refers to Jesus’ disciples nor to the church! The scribes and Pharisees were the ones sitting in Moses’ seat –not his disciples. They were the ones interpreting the Law –not his disciples.
6. “Hypocrites”: The scribes and Pharisees are the hypocrites --not Jesus’ disciples. They were the ones who had exaggerated the Law to make it a burden. And they were ones who refused to obey the laws they had exaggerated! Jesus is not disciplining his disciples!
7. “For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cumin …” The “you” is still the scribes and Pharisees from “woe is you scribes and Pharisees”! As interpreters of the Law they had exaggerated it to include ordinary garden spices which the Law had never included. The Mishnah and Talmud, not the Bible, defined tithes as "everything eatable, everything that was stored up or that grew out of the earth.”
The Pharisees prided themselves with scrupulous obedience to circumcision, Sabbath-keeping and tithing. They wanted the Jews to think that they could observe these three rites even better than what was expected of the Law. Meticulously counting micro-small spice seeds was their way of boasting. While quoting this very text to prove that Jesus taught tithing to the Church, there is probably no church on earth which tells its members to literally bring tithes of garden spices.
8. “And [you] have omitted the weightier matters of the law -- judgment, mercy, and faith.” Jesus is telling the scribes and Pharisees that judgment, mercy and faith” are more important “matters of the law” than is tithing.
It is incredible how often Christian tithe-teachers quote this verse and omit “of the law.” They then tell us that Jesus taught tithing and omit the historical context of the verse, the chapter and the covenant.
In fact, ALL of Matthew 22 and 23 is in the context of “matters of the law.” The Herodians had asked, "Is it lawful to give tribute to Caesar, or not?" (Matt. 22:17). In the next discussion Jesus rebuked the Sadducees by quoting from the law (Matt. 22:32 cf. Exod. 3:6.). Next, one of the Pharisees asked, "Master, which is the great commandment in the law?" (Matt. 22:36). Matthew 23 continues the discussion of “matters of the law.”
9. “These you ought to have done, without leaving the other undone.” Again I have never heard of a church which required its tithers to bring tithes “of mint and anise and cumin” and demand that they “ought to have done” so in obedience to Jesus’ command in Matthew 23:23.
If this verse is supposed to be interpreted as Jesus’ command for Christians to tithe money (which the text does not clearly state) then it should also be interpreted as Jesus’ command for the church to tithe garden spices according to the Law (which the text does clearly state).
When Jesus said in verse 23, "You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former," he was re-enforcing for Jews, not the moral law which is eternal, but the current interpretation of the ordinances of the ceremonial law of the Old Covenant.
In fact, Jesus could not have told Gentile Christians “These you ought to have done” because Gentiles were not allowed to bring tithes and tithes would not have been accepted even it they attempted to bring them! In order to be legitimate, tithes must only come from Israelites and only from inside Israel!
10. Jesus only commanded Jews to observe the Mosaic Law and present themselves to the priests. He did not command non-Jews to do this because their lives were not governed by the Mosaic Law. It was not possible under the Law for non-Jews to be circumcised or tithe.
Matthew 5:23-24 Therefore if you [Jews] bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has anything against you, leave there your gift before the altar, and go your way; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift). Matthew 8:4 " . . . go your way, show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded [Jews], for a testimony to them."
11. It is easy to demonstrate that ALL of the woes in Matthew, chapter 23, are directed against the scribes and Pharisees. Yet the tithe-teaching church today wants to ignore every word of every woe directed against the Pharisees and burden the Church with tithing from Matthew 23:23. Such is very poor hermeneutics. The YOU is not the church!
vs13. Woe: YOU shut up the kingdom of heaven against men
vs14. Woe: YOU devour widows' houses; make long prayers
vs15. Woe: YOU make a proselyte a child of hell
vs16. Woe: YOU blind guides; YOU fools
vs23. Woe: YOU pay tithe of mint and anise and cumin (gnats)
vs25. Woe: YOU make clean the outside of the cup
vs27. Woe: YOU are like unto whited sepulchers
vs29. Woe: YOU serpents, generation of vipers
12. Jesus and his disciples were not required to tithe because they were poor. The gleaning incident recorded three times (Matt. 12:1-12, Mark 2:23-24, and Luke 6:1-2) is important. If a tithe were required from all persons and from all kinds of food harvested, then we could have expected the Pharisees to accuse Jesus and his disciples of not paying tithe on the grain they had just harvested and eaten. The lack of such an accusation proves that no such law applied to poor persons who harvested gleanings. Compare Leviticus 19:10.
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by openmine(m): 12:07pm On Nov 24, 2017
hardasan:

Abraham and Jacob gave tithe voluntarily.
The israélites didn't give any tithe till God commanded tithing. Still, the lévites didn't force them to tithe.

I have said before and I say again, tithing is between you and God. No one should force you to tithe and you don't need to be told to tithe.
The law based tithe which tithers use almost willingly is mandatory and a requirement in the law!
Tithe is not a voluntary act!
its not a charity act!
What abraham gave to Melchizedek was never the tithe tithers link to malachi....
Jacob made a vow to God
Others made vows in the bible...a soldier made a vow to God that he will give the best of burnt sacrifices if the lord delivered him from his enemies,should it now be used as a principle for believers of the new covenant?....does a vow made by a then deceitful man,Jacob, now be used as a principle to tithe?
Re: Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical by jaymichael(m): 12:15pm On Nov 24, 2017
williamsofficial:

The reason why some christians defend the doctrine of tithing is simply because they don't believe in eternal salvation or they are sincerely ignorant of what Christ really did.
Let me explain the Tithe principle in a contemporary way pls reason well now;
Your dad employed a Jamb tutor for you while you were preparing for Jamb last year.
Glory to God you blasted Jamb and scored 400/400 and Jamb decided to give you an all expenses scholarship to the prestigious Harvard university.
All your paper works was done and off to Harvard you went and was the best student in your set.
Two years later you came home for the summer break and found out that your former Jamb lesson teacher has been fraudulently collecting salary for all these two years for doing nothing. He had lied to your parents that if they don't pay him the salary you may loose your scholarship.
And because your parents isn't that educated and doesn't know exactly how this Harvard things work, they quickly did the "Nigerian common sense mathematics" (it's better we pay him since we are not even paying for our sons fees)
I know a reasonable person will be angry at the open eye scam....BUT its very sad that our supposed Harvard undergraduate doesn't see anything wrong with this. He has not just been scammed. He has been Brain washed. I am ashamed to call you a Harvard undergraduate.
It is a totally misguided disposition to berate someone that follows whatever principle that works for him/her. My tithing is a personal thing before God. If anyone sees no reason to tithe, I have absolutely no objection to that. Refusal to tithe won't deny you heaven or even a good life.
When I wasn't tithing, I couldn't afford to rent just one room in Ajegunle even when I was working. I moved close to my father and I learnt some life changing principles. Tithing is one of the easiest ways to tap into the divine blessings and wealth prepared for me. Some people sacrificed life, children, wives, health and happiness for material wealth. 10% of my take home pay isn't even enough for his goodness towards me. Since my personal decision to tithe, in just a few years, I now live in my own house. My younger ones and my mother live in the same compound but different apartment. I am not rich yet but I can even afford a small car if I wanted to get one right now. All these in spite of my small salary and still doing the same job. My 3 bosses ahead of me left one after the other due to "nothing is coming in" it is in the same nothing is coming in that I was blessed after I made that personal decision to tithe. I am not 100% faithful in that regard but he has been more faithful to me.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (21) (Reply)

Edo Seals Off 13 Churches For Defying COVID-19 Directives / Osun Christian Students Must Wear Garments If Muslims Wear Hijabs – CAN Insists / Gay Jesus: Reno Omokri Kicks As Netflix Shows 'The First Temptation Of Christ'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.