Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,576 members, 7,823,499 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:59 AM

Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past (6000 Views)

UNILAG Law Attendance Sheet Used To Sell Suya Causes Stir Online / FCMB Locates Little Girl, Dele That Used ATM Light For Assignment / ‘Same’ Things That Most People Don’t Know Are Actually Different (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by Augustap(f): 10:46am On Nov 10, 2017
Pridestorm:
I'm new here, and I don't know what "Ftc" means..... Please what does it stands for?
Oh okay. It means First To Comment.
On this forum, when a person is the first to comment on a thread (especially when the thread is front page worthy), it's a kind of achievement grin grin
Sorry abt my previous comment. I thought you were out for yabbing wink
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by Calmwaters(m): 10:58am On Nov 10, 2017
Augustap:

The ftc you know
Sorry wats FTC?
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by Augustap(f): 11:58am On Nov 10, 2017
Calmwaters:

Sorry wats FTC?
God of Host. FTC means First To Comment
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by Nobody: 12:02pm On Nov 10, 2017
Augustap:

Oh okay. It means First To Comment.
On this forum, when a person is the first to comment on a thread (especially when the thread is front page worthy), it's a kind of achievement grin grin
Sorry abt my previous comment. I thought you were out for yabbing wink
Thanks.....!
I Appreciate....
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by Augustap(f): 1:16pm On Nov 10, 2017
Pridestorm:
Thanks.....!
I Appreciate....
You're wlc
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by makydebbie(f): 1:19pm On Nov 10, 2017
Augustap:

God of Host. FTC means First To Comment
I can relate. grin grin
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by Augustap(f): 1:41pm On Nov 10, 2017
makydebbie:
I can relate. grin grin
grin grin
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by Beemhan(m): 6:56pm On Nov 10, 2017
Augustap:
Fada lawd. Some knots were missing from the heads of those existing in the medieval times.
Aunty mi, considering the depictions and what the OP said, these things happened around a 100 YEARS AGO and that is in no way, Medieval. Check the meaning of the word please
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by Augustap(f): 7:41pm On Nov 10, 2017
Beemhan:
Aunty mi, considering the depictions and what the OP said, these things happened around a 100 YEARS AGO and that is in no way, Medieval. Check the meaning of the word please
The op made mention of ancestors and last time i checked, our ancestors lived in the archaic times and medieval means archaic. So i'm saying it again, MEDIEVAL. Come and beat me
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by Nobody: 9:40pm On Nov 10, 2017
Augustap:
Fada lawd. Some knots were missing from the heads of those existing in the medieval times.

Lool. It all comes down to evolution. If you were born around that time, you'll probably deem it very normal, but as time goes by, as our brains keeps developing and as our eyes keep opening. There are some things that looks so barbaric that we can never ever attempt to do.
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by Augustap(f): 9:43pm On Nov 10, 2017
shimmer1:

Lool. It all comes down to evolution. If you were born around that time, you'll probably deem it very normal, but as time goes by, as our brains keeps developing and as our eyes keep opening. There are some things that looks so barbaric that we can never ever attempt to do.
Yea that's true. But this one weak me
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by katchycouture(f): 11:52pm On Nov 10, 2017
oyonu:

sorry to ask which tribe is th9at?

ilaje people
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by lilreese: 2:19am On Nov 11, 2017
these white people
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by iamnlia(m): 2:38am On Nov 11, 2017
Also the Incans of Peru that sacrificed children.
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by Beemhan(m): 4:46pm On Nov 11, 2017
Augustap:

The op made mention of ancestors and last time i checked, our ancestors lived in the archaic times and medieval means archaic. So i'm saying it again, MEDIEVAL. Come and beat me
Medieval means archaic... grin grin Tiri gbosa for you! You also need to check the meaning of ancestors. I mean the English dictionary meaning and not the one you learnt from Nollywood grin grin tongue
And no I won't beat you. Where I live, it's a crime to beat children
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by Augustap(f): 5:41pm On Nov 11, 2017
Beemhan:

Medieval means archaic... grin grin Tiri gbosa for you! You also need to check the meaning of ancestors. I mean the English dictionary meaning and not the one you learnt from Nollywood grin grin tongue
And no I won't beat you. Where I live, it's a crime to beat children
1. Medieval is synonymous with archaic
2. The word ancestor means forefather, progenitor (they lived b4 us, some of them existed in the past time (medieval))
3. You can't beat someone bigger than you grin
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by Beemhan(m): 7:55pm On Nov 11, 2017
Augustap:

2. The word ancestor means forefather, progenitor (they lived b4 us, some of them existed in the past time (medieval))
1. Medieval - Of or relating to the Middle Ages, the period from about 500 to about 1500.
Having characteristics associated with the Middle Ages.

In the first paragraph the OP said, and I quote "If you think people nowadays do unusual things, you should check out these COMPARATIVELY RECENT HISTORY. You’ll see that our ancestors used to do even weirder things..."
Now the Middle ages was the period between the 5th and 15th centuries. That means the Middles ages was around 1500 years ago to 600 years and that is no way COMPARATIVELY RECENT HISTORY, like the OP said.

Moving further, in the second paragraph, under Cocaine Treatment, the OP said, and I quote " ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO, people didn’t treat this substance as harmful..."
In case your defective cognition affected your maths, ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO is 1917 and 1917 was in the TWENTIETH CENTURY. The MEDIEVAL PERIOD like I mentioned earlier, was between the FIFTH AND FIFTEEN CENTURIES.
So, big aunty, cocaine treatment did not happen in the medieval period.
Secondly, under 'Sending kids in the mail' the OP said inter alia, "It sounds like a joke, but at the beginning of the TWENTIETH CENTURY, Americans had the opportunity to send their kids through the mail absolutely lawfully..."
Do you also want me to explain that for you, big aunty? grin I hope not.
The same can be seen in every other example the op gave. He mentioned 1930s in number 3, 18th century in number 4 and 1958 in number 5.
With the exception of number 4, everything the op said here occured in the 20th century and not between the 5th and 15 centuries.
In case you can't wrap your head around the phrase '20th century', let me make it elementary for you grin
WWI and WWII happened in the 20th century, Nigeria got independence in the 20th century, the Nigerian civil war occured in the 20th century. That's not all, you look like you were born in the 20th century even though you sound like you were born in the 21st right now. Correct me if I'm wrong grin
And it's like it's the word 'Ancestors' that confused you grin Let me also break that down for you. tongue tongue
Ancestor -One from whom a person is descended, whether on the father's or mother's side, AT ANY DISTANCE OF TIME; a progenitor; a forefather.
An earlier type; a progenitor
That definition means that those who lived and died before you AT ANY DISTANCE OF TIME and who you descended from are your ancestors. E.g, a late grandfather or mother. They may have lived a hundred years ago like in the 20th century and like most of the people in the op's examples or even longer.

Now if after digesting these lucid points you still think these things happened in the middle ages, then you should give your logic lecturer (assuming you attended classes) 2 medals. One for doing a very good job on you grin and two, in case he/she loses the first one tongue tongue
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by Augustap(f): 8:01pm On Nov 11, 2017
Beemhan:

1. Medieval - Of or relating to the Middle Ages, the period from about 500 to about 1500.
Having characteristics associated with the Middle Ages.

In the first paragraph the OP said, and I quote "If you think people nowadays do unusual things, you should check out these COMPARATIVELY RECENT HISTORY. You’ll see that our ancestors used to do even weirder things..."
Now the Middle ages was the period between the 5th and 15th centuries. That means the Middles ages was around 1500 years ago to 600 years and that is no way COMPARATIVELY RECENT HISTORY, like the OP said.

Moving further, in the second paragraph, under Cocaine Treatment, the OP said, and I quote " ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO, people didn’t treat this substance as harmful..."
In case your defective cognition affected your maths, ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO is 1917 and 1917 was in the TWENTIETH CENTURY. The MEDIEVAL PERIOD like I mentioned earlier, was between the FIFTH AND FIFTEEN CENTURIES.
So, big aunty, cocaine treatment did not happen in the medieval period.
Secondly, under 'Sending kids in the mail' the OP said inter alia, "It sounds like a joke, but at the beginning of the TWENTIETH CENTURY, Americans had the opportunity to send their kids through the mail absolutely lawfully..."
Do you also want me to explain that for you, big aunty? grin I hope not.
The same can be seen in every other example the op gave. He mentioned 1930s in number 3, 18th century in number 4 and 1958 in number 5.
With the exception of number 4, everything the op said here occured in the 20th century and not between the 5th and 15 centuries.
In case you can't wrap your head around the phrase '20th century', let me make it elementary for you grin
WWI and WWII happened in the 20th century, Nigeria got independence in the 20th century, the Nigerian civil war occured in the 20th century. That's not all, you look like you were born in the 20th century even though you sound like you were born in the 21st right now. Correct me if I'm wrong grin
And it's like it's the word 'Ancestors' that confused you grin Let me also break that down for you. tongue tongue
Ancestor -One from whom a person is descended, whether on the father's or mother's side, AT ANY DISTANCE OF TIME; a progenitor; a forefather.
An earlier type; a progenitor
That definition means that those who lived and died before you AT ANY DISTANCE OF TIME and who you descended from are your ancestors. E.g, a late grandfather or mother. They may be have lived a hundred years ago like in the 20th century and like most of the people in the op's examples or even longer.
I hope it's not what i'm thinking? This restless mention, hmmm
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by Beemhan(m): 8:29pm On Nov 11, 2017
Augustap:

I hope it's not what i'm thinking? This restless mention, hmmm
I hope you're actually thinking grin
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by Augustap(f): 8:32pm On Nov 11, 2017
Beemhan:
I hope you're actually thinking grin
I do think, unlike someone here grin
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by Beemhan(m): 8:49pm On Nov 11, 2017
Augustap:

I do think, unlike someone here grin
I'm sure the person knows hersel... oops! Sorry, itself grin grin
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by Augustap(f): 8:58pm On Nov 11, 2017
Beemhan:

I'm sure the person knows hersel... oops! Sorry, itself grin grin
Anuofia grin
So you don't even have a gender, sorry
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by Beemhan(m): 9:08pm On Nov 11, 2017
Augustap:

Anuofia grin
So you don't even have a gender, sorry
I do actually. You'd see it if only you'd wipe the cum from your eyes grin Hoe wink
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by uchman(m): 11:24pm On Nov 14, 2017
Augustap:

This fine babe...
your mouth(fingers) just dey wag like Ukpaka!
Re: Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past by Nobody: 7:03am On Nov 15, 2017
Funny enough.. They never discovered any side effects of these things they did...
And it worked out for them..
So what's going on nowadays..
Even water they'll tell you it's too much

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cipm Exam Past Questions Needed / KWASU Dismisses Lecturer Over Sexual Harassment / Standard Associated Examining Board (certificate)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.