Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,193 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC (22254 Views)

Goodluck Jonathan Appointed As Chancellor Of Cavendish University Uganda / Coventry University Engineering Graduate Retained In The UK By SIEMENS MOBILITY / UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by psalmsjob: 5:56pm On Nov 11, 2017
deepwater:

Lol....the lame one grin
Mr VC you couldn't even give a rational line to justify your claim... You lines are so weak like old mama pant!!!

The joke is on your tribe, leave jona outa it, your people did not see their son 'MKO ABIOLA' worthy of their praise. Go suck it up rather than blame GEJ.

What a caliber of educationists the zoo has produced, so daft in intellectual reasoning.

Now u are outgoing, go hide your brains somewhere the ☀ don't shine

Professor my black ass undecided

And my black ass toogrin but leave the "zoo" out of this!

Mediocrity knows no tribe, race, or professorship.
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by BlowBack: 6:07pm On Nov 11, 2017
writerights:

In case you don't know, a college could be any institution that offers to impact higher knowledge.

And a university is a conglomerate of colleges
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Nobody: 6:15pm On Nov 11, 2017
They should just divide this country so that yoruba( unilag) and hausa( abu) can carry their history go.........

In biafra i stand.........

In biafra we want.......

In biafra our freedom lies.......

Give it to us

Allow us to go......

So that yoruba and hausa can write their history well.......

Igbo amaka
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by fumiswtpusytwo(f): 6:15pm On Nov 11, 2017
They say jonathan should have had an agreement with the school unilag before changing it's name to abiola,our leader that was supposedly killedd in prison after winning election cry as if buhari is following democracy,oh I remember he is a muslim and most of us yorubas are muslims too,so we support our own.
If I was jonathan I could have named that school dr GOODLUCK EBELE university and nothing will happen.than online warriors making noise.

1 Like

Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Eniitan19(m): 7:02pm On Nov 11, 2017
Statsocial:
Writerights Huh this argument of which university is first again? ABU vice chancellor was ranting months ago that UI was not the first Nigerian uni and that Abu was. Amazingly there is also controversy on which private university is first in the country too.
I think it is not so relevant actually. All we want is for our universities to thrive in the commity of universities.

Igbinedion University is the first private uni in Nigeria. Although there were about three universities that were given license same day in 1999 or there about, Igbinedion was first to receive.
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Nobody: 7:47pm On Nov 11, 2017
Darey00:

FUNAAB is 29 years old, and therefore not a 'young' university. The name change was necessary as many people who knew and referred to it as 'Unaab' didn't realize it was a federal University from the get go. The F at the front was just to make its status as a Federal University more prominent.
According to Times Higher Education any University less than 50 is a young University.
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Darey00(m): 8:08pm On Nov 11, 2017
Statsocial:

According to Times Higher Education any University less than 50 is a young University.

Care to mention that that List is limited to 200 universities (top ones) and also that it is a complete prerogative of any ranking body to define a university how it so pleases. I know you are reaching, but in the Nigerian context, FUNAAB is not a young university
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Nobody: 8:13pm On Nov 11, 2017
Darey00:

Care to mention that that List is limited to 200 universities (top ones) and also that it is a complete prerogative of any ranking body to define a university how it so pleases. I know you are reaching, but in the Nigerian context, FUNAAB is not a young university
Times is Universally acceptable. Mind you QS also defines a young University as any University below 50. These are two out of the three most reputable University ranking bodies it wouldn't be wrong to take their Definitions as Universally acceptable.
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by heysquare(m): 9:16pm On Nov 11, 2017
FarahAideed:
Nonsense ..Jonathan meant no harm at all, he only miscalculated the supposed love the Yoruba people claimed to have for Abiola by thinking it was genuine love not knowing it was crocodile love in a complex game of betrayal where the Name of Abiola was only used as political tool to blackmail the rest of Nigeria for the benefit of a few SW elites.
Yorubas not dat daft. Jonathan wanted to use dat as a pacifier to get vote by doing dat but d calculation was bursted. we voted for him in 2011 wen we wr told dat he has no shoes and wen he won d election he neglected d region no meaningful project until election was approaching bfore he cud start Lagos - Ibadan road construction. yorubas dnt make noice as we know wen to call it quit and goodbye. I think Jonathan must av taken dat as a lesson for future
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Darey00(m): 9:23pm On Nov 11, 2017
Statsocial:

Times is Universally acceptable. Mind you QS also defines a young University as any University below 50. These are two out of the three most reputable University ranking bodies it wouldn't be wrong to take their Definitions as Universally acceptable.

K
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Omofunaab2: 9:35pm On Nov 11, 2017
Statsocial:

Of course they would never agree. No Alumni group would ever agree to such. It takes a long time to build a University reputation. You can do change of name for a young federal university like FUOYE or FUNAAB but not with UI and Unilag. That could even plunge their webometric rank down.

Lol UI ke lai lai. He won't even dare. He should have done it with FUNAAB. Moshood Abiola University of Agriculture Abeokuta MAUAA grin

Stop spitting trash... who told you funaab is a young University.
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Nobody: 10:05pm On Nov 11, 2017
Omofunaab2:

Stop spitting trash... who told you funaab is a young University.
Lol I would say it again according to Times Higher Education a young University is any University below the age of 50.
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Omofunaab2: 10:19pm On Nov 11, 2017
Statsocial:

Lol I would say it again according to Times Higher Education a young University is any University below the age of 50.

How many public universities in Nigeria are above 50?

1 Like

Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Azam101: 11:06pm On Nov 11, 2017
Afonja professor
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by goshee: 11:43pm On Nov 11, 2017
tete7000:

In a democratic dispensation, not even Buhari might have been able to withstand the resistance mounted by the people. That's the beauty of democratic rule, people can have their legitimate wish respected. Even when things are enforced, the court can overrule it if their is legal basis for that. Unife wasn't that lucky because military changed its name. I don't think alumni and others interest group were really dispose to change of name at that time too. However, like Wole Soyinka will say, only a stupid man argue with a man with a gun.
are you talking about the same court that granted so many people bail under buhari which he singlehandedly refuse to obey. I wonder where our senses dey always travel go when we talk about politics

1 Like

Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by tete7000(m): 11:53pm On Nov 11, 2017
goshee:
are you talking about the same court that granted so many people bail under buhari which he singlehandedly refuse to obey. I wonder where our senses dey always travel go when we talk about politics

That he refused to honour some court rulings doesn't mean the court has failed in their duty. It doesn't changed the fact that we are no longer under a military rule where with a single fiat, a man determines the destiny of a whole nation. If a Buhari could be difficult to control with all the democratic tools available, it is left to you to imagine how horrible being under him in a military dispensation would have been. The democracy whether you want to see it or not still reigns in a lot of restraint on our leaders. By the way, Buhari as a military ruler was more autocratic than you can imagine him to be now.
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by goshee: 12:01am On Nov 12, 2017
heysquare:

Yorubas not dat daft. Jonathan wanted to use dat as a pacifier to get vote by doing dat but d calculation was bursted. we voted for him in 2011 wen we wr told dat he has no shoes and wen he won d election he neglected d region no meaningful project until election was approaching bfore he cud start Lagos - Ibadan road construction. yorubas dnt make noice as we know wen to call it quit and goodbye. I think Jonathan must av taken dat as a lesson for future
but people can be very stupid even without knowing it. how does Jonathan rechristening of unilag to immortalise your so loved son become beneficiary to him in particular. now fully confirmed that yorubas are hypocrites. if mko aboila is not worthy to bear the name of one of your universities maybe he should come and take up the name of my state university here in the east. lolsss

1 Like

Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by refreshrate: 12:08am On Nov 12, 2017
FarahAideed:
Nonsense ..Jonathan meant no harm at all, he only miscalculated the supposed love the Yoruba people claimed to have for Abiola by thinking it was genuine love not knowing it was crocodile love in a complex game of betrayal where the Name of Abiola was only used as political tool to blackmail the rest of Nigeria for the benefit of a few SW elites.

I don't think it was miscalculated at all!

To prepare antidote for snake poison you use the poison abi?

Dude just wanted to prove the hypocrisy of these people like you said ...and he nailed it!

If they loved the man so much why refuse the name?

Truth came out & am sure he was laughing his socks off afterwards. I don't know what all these other ones are going on about here sounding like they know squat.

3 Likes

Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by refreshrate: 12:13am On Nov 12, 2017
goshee:
but people can be very stupid even without knowing it. how does Jonathan rechristening of unilag to immortalise your so loved son become beneficiary to him in particular. now fully confirmed that yorubas are hypocrites. if mko aboila is not worthy to bear the name of one of your universities maybe he should come and take up the name of my state university here in the east. lolsss

Bros one truck load mortuary standard cold orijin for you sir!

Your wisdom pure scatter.

Leave all these people wey no get sense abeg! Ndi ala

1 Like

Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by heysquare(m): 6:28am On Nov 12, 2017
goshee:
its just a pity dat u know nothing about politics dats y u spewed rubish from dat ur gutter called mouth. how many institutions wud need to bear MKO because of politicised immortalization? thr s existing higher institution in ogun state name after MKO. u for ask Jonathan what tangible project he executed in SW for us to av casted our vote for him 2015. ask him bfor u defend him
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by vicfy(m): 7:27am On Nov 12, 2017
Elnino4ladies:

LMAO Why na?
the dude doesn't know what we graduates of that Uni are passing through....u'll always have to explain yourself...especially those of us dt graduated before his tenure
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by FarahAideed: 7:31am On Nov 12, 2017
refreshrate:

Dude just wanted to prove the hypocrisy of these people like you said ...and he nailed it!

Truth came out & am sure he was laughing his socks off afterwards. I don't know what all these other ones are going on about here sounding like they know squat.

You are spot on bro , that definitely put an end to that whole Abiola scam and now the SW needs something New Like VAT grin to negotiate on the political tables..They thought they were doing Jonathan nut the undid themselves
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by fela97: 7:36am On Nov 12, 2017
writerights:
UI students need to revisit history, university of Lagos is the first university in Nigeria and arguably the best too. OAU peeps should also take note.

.Any institution that awards degrees is a University. This Rahman fellow dey argue like Trump. College? OK, The University College, Ibadan lol
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by Nobody: 8:24am On Nov 12, 2017
writerights:
UI students need to revisit history, university of Lagos is the first university in Nigeria and arguably the best too. OAU peeps should also take note.

Read and comprehend. You don't sound like someone who studied at a university.
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by toritseon(m): 9:00am On Nov 13, 2017
SnakeXenzia:
This news does not change the fact that the ting go skrr , pa pa pa pa pa ,skibidi pok po . and the kundun dum dum . skia. Putudum dum dum dum grin

Very hilarious. Lolzzzz
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by toritseon(m): 9:09am On Nov 13, 2017
cstr1000:

I actually think buhari would have enforced it if it were now.
Soldiers would storm the school and make it binding, even if it means removing whoever needs to be removed and appointing a military VC in a civilian garb.
He is the new sheriff in town afterall.
There will be complain here and there, but it will be binding after a year.

Just like he made the PMS pump price of 145 stick.
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by toritseon(m): 9:19am On Nov 13, 2017
tete7000:

In a democratic dispensation, not even Buhari might have been able to withstand the resistance mounted by the people. That's the beauty of democratic rule, people can have their legitimate wish respected. Even when things are enforced, the court can overrule it if their is legal basis for that. Unife wasn't that lucky because military changed its name. I don't think alumni and others interest group were really dispose to change of name at that time too. However, like Wole Soyinka will say, only a stupid man argue with a man with a gun.

And this is how you ended up contradicting yourself. Aren't we being democratically ruled by a "gun"? how many court injunctions have been disregarded in recent times? For instance, why is Ibrahim El Zakzaky still being detained?
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by toritseon(m): 9:51am On Nov 13, 2017
tete7000:

That he refused to honour some court rulings doesn't mean the court has failed in their duty. It doesn't changed the fact that we are no longer under a military rule where with a single fiat, a man determines the destiny of a whole nation. If a Buhari could be difficult to control with all the democratic tools available, it is left to you to imagine how horrible being under him in a military dispensation would have been. The democracy whether you want to see it or not still reigns in a lot of restraint on our leaders. By the way, Buhari as a military ruler was more autocratic than you can imagine him to be now.

You just explained why you guys should be carefull with the insults rained on GEJ. A gentleman to the core. His respect to the rule of law shouldn't be taken as weakness. If it were for another GCFR and the armed Forces, the name would have stuck. Court injunction or not.
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by toritseon(m): 10:01am On Nov 13, 2017
goshee:

Hypocrisy examplified. Every June 12, they'd be shouting MKO Abiola, MKO Abiola as though they would take a bullet for him. "Common" a name change to confirm their rantings and finally immortalise him with one of their most respected institutions, they outrightly refuted it. #HYPOCRISY
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by toritseon(m): 10:10am On Nov 13, 2017
refreshrate:

You're very much on point. Apparently, GEJ wasn't to benefit any thing personally by the name change. It's only logical to believe that he just wanted to proof a point - the hypocrisy of the MKO Ranters and he sure nailed it. Perhaps that was one of the few thing GEJ got right. cheesy undecided grin cry
Re: How We Retained University Of Lagos’ Name Despite Jonathan’s Wish – VC by tete7000(m): 2:27pm On Nov 13, 2017
toritseon:

And this is how you ended up contradicting yourself. Aren't we being democratically ruled by a "gun"? how many court injunctions have been disregarded in recent times? For instance, why is Ibrahim El Zakzaky still being detained?

And you that you don't contradict yourself, has no court ruling ever been obeyed? Was Nnamdi Kanu despite Buhari's arrogance not released? If in democratic dispensation, there is so much defiance for law, how terrible it would have been under military rule? Think!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty? / Yabatech Hnd(ft & Pt) & Nd(pt) Admission For 2011/2012 / ASUU Leaders Assault Journalists In Minna Over Strike Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.