Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,180 members, 7,811,449 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:52 AM

How Giving Should Be Done In Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Giving Should Be Done In Church (431 Views)

Have You Ever Been Blessed Through Tithing And Giving In Church? / How To Avoid Sleeping In Church - Theabstracthoughts.com / Church Members Flog The Devil With Canes In Church (Pics, Videos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Giving Should Be Done In Church by Lateralmaths(m): 9:02am On Nov 12, 2017
HOW SHOULD GIVING BE DONE IN CHURCH

No man was born again before Christ's resurrection. Hence there was no Church before Christ’s resurrection. The Church began after the resurrection of Christ. The word Church first appeared Matt. 16:18
Matt 16:18
And I say also unto thee, that thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Jesus said “…I will build my Church;”… this was speaking of what will happen in the future
The book of Acts give details of the beginning of the Church.
If the Church began after the resurrection of Christ, it only makes sense that we look through the Bible to see how giving was done in Church.
Note that the only time Jesus spoke about tithe, He was not speaking about giving in Church because the Church was still in the future. He was speaking to practitioners of the law.
Now let’s look at some Biblical examples of giving in Church (for emphasis this refers to examples of give after Christ’s resurrection).

Acts 2:44-45
44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
Acts 2:45 is the first example of giving in Church. They sold their possessions and shared to everyone according to every man’s need.

Acts 4:34-35
34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,
35 And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.
Acts 4:34-35 none among them lacked, distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.

Acts 4:36-37
36 And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, and of the country of Cyprus,
37 Having land, sold it, and brought the money, and laid it at the apostles' feet.

Joses a “Levite”, sold his land , and laid the money at the apostles feet. We all know the Levite’s place in the law.

2 Cor 8:1-5
Now I want you to know, dear brothers and sisters,* what God in his kindness has done through the churches in Macedonia. 2 They are being tested by many troubles, and they are very poor. But they are also filled with abundant joy, which has overflowed in rich generosity.
3 For I can testify that they gave not only what they could afford, but far more. And they did it of their own free will. 4 They begged us again and again for the privilege of sharing in the gift for the believers in Jerusalem. 5 They even did more than we had hoped, for their first action was to give themselves to the Lord and to us, just as God wanted them to do.
The Macedonian Church was described as very poor, yet they were filled with joy and were very generous. They gave far more than what they could afford.

Now a question to ponder…
What message did the believers in Acts and the Macedonian Church hear before selling their possessions and giving more than they could afford?

They gave to meet needs of fellow believers, they gave for the furtherance of the gospel.

2 Cor 9:7-9
7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:
9 (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.

We are to give cheerfully

2 Cor 9:12
12 For the administration of this service not only supplieth the want of the saints, but is abundant also by many thanksgivings unto God;

There are lots of Biblical examples of how giving was done in the early Church. They are all consistent on what giving is, why we should give and what causes we should give to.

There was no Church before Christ’s resurrection. It’s amazing how we to pre-Church era (pre- resurrection era) to teach giving in the Church era (post- resurrection era).
Instead of going to the pre- resurrection era to find principles for giving in the post- resurrection era, let’s settle down to study the post- resurrection era to find out why the early believers gave as much as they did without being told to pay tithe, first-fruits, and the likes.

1 Like

Re: How Giving Should Be Done In Church by TI1919(m): 9:11am On Nov 12, 2017
grin
Re: How Giving Should Be Done In Church by Talk2nanro(m): 11:21am On Nov 12, 2017
Now you are right, don't let any charlatan tell you otherwise.
Re: How Giving Should Be Done In Church by Lateralmaths(m): 3:18pm On Nov 12, 2017
Talk2nanro:
Now you are right, don't let any charlatan tell you otherwise.
thanks

1 Like

Re: How Giving Should Be Done In Church by bloodofthelamb(m): 4:02pm On Nov 12, 2017
I ABSOLUTE AGREE WITH YOU ON THIS... WELDONE!

(1) (Reply)

ISSUES CALCULATING TITHE. / Cat Refuses To Walk On The Holy Koran Even When Baited To (video) / Seun I Want To Comment On Muslim Threads!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.