Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:31 AM

Why Star Trek Discovery Might Be More Appealing To Newer Fans Of The Franchise - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Why Star Trek Discovery Might Be More Appealing To Newer Fans Of The Franchise (654 Views)

Fans Of Selina Tested / "Star Trek" Actor Jon Paul Steuer Has Died At The Age Of 33. / Star Trek: Discovery Fan Thread **** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Star Trek Discovery Might Be More Appealing To Newer Fans Of The Franchise by dastudent(m): 11:54am On Nov 13, 2017
Star Trek Discovery gave me a lot of doubt when it was announced, in fact, I wrote it off completely because I didn’t think it would be a standard show, especially with the visual effects. The first episode had me (and a lot of other people) in shock because it looked good, really good.

To make things a lot better, the story is quite good and it’s turning out be one of my favorite shows currently. For those that have been living under a rock, Star Trek Discovery follows the story of Michael Burnham (played by the beautiful Sonequa Martin-Green) who is blamed for the start of the war against the Klingons, the death of her captain and the destruction of her ship. She finds herself on a new ship called the Discovery. Captain Gabriel Lorca, the head of the Discovery (played by Jason Isaacs), enlists her as a member of his crew despite her prison sentence and reputation as a mutineer.

Eight episodes in, I have to say it’s a pretty solid show that tries it’s best to tie-in with the Star Trek universe that fans are already familiar with. Over the course of the season, we’ve already had some ‘name drops’ and hints suggesting that the events are somewhat connected.
As a fanboy, Star Trek Discovery does enough to get my blood boiling; I feel a wave of nostalgia when I see those uniforms, ships and space battles. However as a Trekker and a mild critic, some of the complaints from old Star Trek fans although harsh aren’t entirely baseless.

The Star Trek Universe is a pretty old one that has been building for decades now, even with the reboot and new set of movies, the characters are still familiar and easy to relate with. There is no shortcut to that level of depth and character build up and in some ways, it reflects in the world of Star Trek Discovery.
Apart from Michael Burnham, (whose back-story has been touched a bit) we know little or nothing about most of the characters on the show. This singular element makes it a tad difficult to feel the weight of the some of the events of the series especially when they happen to other characters.

At some point, I had myself thinking ‘as long as Michael is fine then we’re good’.
This isn’t a way of saying the storyline isn’t great because it is. But it’ll be a lot more enjoyable for people who knew little or nothing about the Star Trek universe. For old fans, they would always have moments of disconnects or questions left unanswered.
Then again, they may deal with all these issues as the season progresses and all this would have been for nothing.

Source: http://www.ghengheun.com/tv-shows/star-trek-discovery-might-appealing-newer-fans-franchise/

For updates on tv shows and latest movie rants kindly visit ghengheun.com

Re: Why Star Trek Discovery Might Be More Appealing To Newer Fans Of The Franchise by AfroSamurai: 4:29am On Nov 14, 2017
Not bad. I'll try and download it.
Re: Why Star Trek Discovery Might Be More Appealing To Newer Fans Of The Franchise by Voldamos: 10:58pm On Nov 16, 2017
It's an awesome show.

I rate it 8/10.
Re: Why Star Trek Discovery Might Be More Appealing To Newer Fans Of The Franchise by sleemoon(m): 7:15am On Nov 17, 2017
Sad had to wait until January for the next episode

(1) (Reply)

Big Brother Naija Khloe Twerking Hot 2018 Double Wahala � / Where Is TSTV? / Fast And Furious Vin Diesel Is *Still Trending On Twitter. Read Why.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.