Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,649 members, 7,813,191 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:25 AM

UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread - Education (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread (321549 Views)

Olabisi Onabanjo University(oou) 2018/2019 Admission / Federal University Oye-ekiti (FUOYE) 2018/2019 Admission Thread / 2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (191) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Samsonyte(m): 1:52am On Feb 23, 2018
IamGoke:

Option D is correct
Option C is correct
'Three Quarters of' is a Percentage with Plural count when a particular % or quarters is mentioned involving of, e.g 15 percent of the students, the verb to follow must be a plural one e.g speak, take, see, have, were, are etc. which attract were not was, the second clause states dat 'but only half of theirs huts was[b]
IamGoke:

Option D is correct
Option C is correct
'Three Quarters of' is a Percentage with Plural count when a particular % or quarters is mentioned involving of, e.g 15 percent of the students, the verb to follow must be a plural one e.g speak, take, see, have, were, are etc. which attract were not was, the second clause states dat 'but only half of theirs huts was[/b]
IamGoke:

Option D is correct
Option C is correct
'Three Quarters of' is a Percentage with Plural count when a particular % or quarters is mentioned involving of, e.g 15 percent of the students, the verb to follow must be a plural one e.g speak, take, see, have, were, are etc. which attract were not was, the second clause states dat 'but only half of theirs huts was affected not were because 'Only half of' indicates singular noun, so the verb in the second clause must be singular was.
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by IamGoke(m): 2:19am On Feb 23, 2018
Samsonyte:

Option D is the correct answer.
Anytime you see which, who whose, that in the question, noun or pronoun that comes before it and that noun or pronoun must become the subject. In the example above, which refers to 'The government' which is now our subject and it attracts were not was because the subject is not a singular noun but plural noun, because they are Block Plural groups, they do not carry s at the back. example The poor, The handicapped. so The Main Subject in the first clause 'The Government will determine the verb singular or plural, and as u already know dat The government is a plural noun, the answer will be their not its.
Another example
One of the girls who ____ impregnated ____ died
a. was / have
b. were / have
c. was / has
d. were / has

Option C
The first clause, singular or plural before who is 'girls' so girls is a plural noun which attract were past tense of was 'impregnated'.
The main subject 'One of' indicate singular noun, will determine the verb in the second clause singular or plural.

The example u cited above, the correct answer is D.

As for the Government stuff, it takes a singular count noun. e.g EFCC is working hard to reduce corruption to the bearest minimum. If you are dealing with this kind of noun, you don't put the number of people working in the organisation into consideration.
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by afoobabs(m): 10:43am On Feb 23, 2018
DrBESTJC:

Thanks a lot sir. My mock exam is comming up on 26th of this month.Please I need more of your help to prepare for the MAIN jamb.English can be very confusing at times.

You are welcome sir.

wish you the best of luck in your Mock Exam
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by afoobabs(m): 11:28am On Feb 23, 2018
Samsonyte:

Option D is the correct answer.
Anytime you see which, who whose, that in the question, noun or pronoun that comes before it and that noun or pronoun must become the subject. In the example above, which refers to 'The government' which is now our subject and it attracts were not was because the subject is not a singular noun but plural noun, because they are Block Plural groups, they do not carry s at the back. example The poor, The handicapped. so The Main Subject in the first clause 'The Government will determine the verb singular or plural, and as u already know dat The government is a plural noun, the answer will be their not its.
Another example
a. was / have
b. were / have
c. was / has
d. were / has

Option C
The first clause, singular or plural before who is 'girls' so girls is a plural noun which attract were past tense of was 'impregnated'.
The main subject 'One of' indicate singular noun, will determine the verb in the second clause singular or plural.

Samson calm down oooo
dont get urself confused

the first question you are arguing on
Choose the correct option.

The government which.........recruiting..........workers suddenly stopped doing so.
(A) are/its
(B) was/its
(C) is/their
(D) were/their.

in this context a plural verb cannot be used with government ooo
although government comprise of a lot of people but the name government has put all of them in a singular entity so government will be treated as a singular
therefore
option B is correct
the government which is recruiting its workers suddenly stopped doing so
another example
1. The presidency has issue a statement on the abduction of school girls in Yobe. presidency in this example does not mean the president alone but himself, his cabinet, his advisers, and every one that works in president office has been put together in singular entity. you will notice that a singular supporting verb (has) is used.

2. Bacelona Fc has lost out in the UEFA champions league. bacelona fc comprise of over 11 players, managers, fans, etc. but they have become a singular entity so a singular verb will be used.

ALso note that government can be pluralise by adding (s) eg.
The governments of the three superpowers are alike in essence
in this case it is plural and a plural verb must follow.

Now
the example you cited in your argument, u also got it wrong

a. was / have
b. were / have
c. was / has
d. were / has

the question is very dicey one to answer
rule: any question that has who which whose to get the subject u will look for the closest noun to the adjective who, which, or whose.

in this case, (girls) is the closest subject/noun to (who). so we go with (were) plural past and the second clause the subject is (one of) so we go with (has) singular

One of the girls who were impregnated has died correct
meaning
a couple of girls were impregnated and one of them has died
cc: iamgoke DrBESTJC
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by IamGoke(m): 11:32am On Feb 23, 2018
afoobabs:

Samson calm down oooo
dont get urself confused

The government which.........recruiting..........workers suddenly stopped doing so.
(A) are/its
(B) was/its
(C) is/their
(D) were/their.

although government comprise of a lot of people but the name government has put all of them in a singular entity so government will be treated as a singular
therefore
option B is correct
another example
1. The presidency has issue a statement on the abduction of school girls in Yobe. presidency in this example does not mean the president alone but himself, his cabinet, his advisers, and every one that works in president office has been put together in singular entity. you will notice that a singular supporting verb (has) is used.

2. Bacelona Fc has lost out in the UEFA champions league. bacelona fc comprise of over 11 players, managers, fans, etc. but they have become a singular entity so a singular verb will be used.

Now

a. was / have
b. were / have
c. was / has
d. were / has

the question is very daisy one to answer
rule: any question that has who which whose to get the subject u will look for the closest noun to the adjective who, which, or whose.

in this case, (girls) is the closest subject/noun to (who). so we go with (were) plural past and the second clause the subject is (one of) so we go with (has) singular

meaning

Thanks for the explanation.
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by IamGoke(m): 11:37am On Feb 23, 2018
DrBESTJC:

Yes...

Date will not be communicated to those that did not register right??
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by afoobabs(m): 11:54am On Feb 23, 2018
DrBESTJC:
JAMB ENGLISH.

Three quarters of the people in the village.......... killed but only half of their huts.............affected.
(A) were/were
(B) was/was
(C) were/was
(D) was/were

Explanations are needed as well
@iamgoke and Samsonyte:
i want to believe both of you got it wrong
like samson said a percentage of something should attract a plural verb, while the second clause should also attract a plural verb (were)
note: its (huts plural) not (hut singular) assuming their huts are twenty in number (i believe you know that a place with one or two huts cannot be referred to as a village) half of the huts should be 10 huts so its still plural.
the correct option is A.

DrBESTJC:

1 Like

Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by DrBESTJC(m): 1:52pm On Feb 23, 2018
afoobabs:

You are welcome sir.

wish you the best of luck in your Mock Exam

Thanks.
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by DrBESTJC(m): 1:57pm On Feb 23, 2018
IamGoke:

Date will not be communicated to those that did not register right??

Yes....only those who indicated interest for the mock exam during registration will be able to see their date during reprinting.
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by DrBESTJC(m): 2:10pm On Feb 23, 2018
ok
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by DrBESTJC(m): 2:25pm On Feb 23, 2018
afoobabs:

@iamgoke and Samsonyte:
like samson said a percentage of something should attract a plural verb, while the second clause should also attract a plural verb (were)
note: its (huts plural) not (hut singular) assuming their huts are twenty in number (i believe you know that a place with one or two huts cannot be referred to as a village) half of the huts should be 10 huts so its still plural.
the correct option is A.

DrBESTJC:

This is another JAMB question under this topic.I want to use this one to assess myself and ascertain that I have understood this.....

Sixty percent of the unskilled workers..........yearly by the company.
(A) are retain
(B) is retained
(C) were retained
(D) are retained

My answer is D.

Any countermotion?
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by afoobabs(m): 2:32pm On Feb 23, 2018
DrBESTJC:

This is another JAMB question under this topic.I want to use this one to assess myself and ascertain that I have understood this.....

Sixty percent of the unskilled workers..........yearly by the company.
(A) are retain
(B) is retained
(C) were retained
(D) are retained

My answer is D.
Bravo!

Any countermotion?

am flattered with those encomiums
pls do not think too highly of me ooo
am also a jambite like u are
we are in this together
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by DrBESTJC(m): 2:59pm On Feb 23, 2018
afoobabs:

am flattered with those encomiums
pls do not think too highly of me ooo
am also a jambite like u are
we are in this together

Oh my God!......You are a jambite?..........I thought you are even a lecturer...........That means I still have a long way to go!
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by afoobabs(m): 3:13pm On Feb 23, 2018
DrBESTJC:

Oh my God!......You are a jambite?..........I thought you are even a lecturer...........That means I still have a long way to go!
lol, you got me cracking my ribs with this. lecturer ?
i receive it sha.
I pray i become one soonest.
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by DrBESTJC(m): 3:28pm On Feb 23, 2018
afoobabs:

Samson calm down oooo
dont get urself confused

(A) are/its
(B) was/its
(C) is/their
(D) were/their.

therefore
option B is correct
another example

Now

a. was / have
b. were / have
c. was / has
d. were / has

meaning

Wait!!!
I'm already sweating trying to understand this topic...

These BLOCK PLURAL GROUPS(such as....The poor, The handicapped, The aged,.... and so on) or UNMARKED PLURALS(such as......police, vermin, folk, youth, cattle....and so on ) are really very confusing.
My textbook(INVISCIBLE TEACHER) says that the two should be treated as plurals and they take plural verbs.

Let's take a critical look at these questions because they look alike...

1: The government which......recruiting........workers suddenly stopped doing so.
(A) are/its
(B) was/its
(C) is/their
(D) were/their

2: The police........happy about the dwindling crime rate.
(A) says they are
(B) say it is
(C) say they are
(D) says it is

3: The helpless............our sympathy.
(A) require
(B) requires
(C) does require
(D) do requires

4: The vermin on his body........hideous.
(A) makes the lunatic look
(B) make the lunatic look
(C) makes the lunatic to look
(D) make the lunatic to look

Anybody that knows the CORRECT ANSWER with the CORRECT EXPLANATION should help out...
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by fhranchez(m): 5:26pm On Feb 23, 2018
pls house is jamb registration still on?
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by afoobabs(m): 8:27pm On Feb 23, 2018
DrBESTJC:

Wait!!!
I'm already sweating trying to understand this topic...

These BLOCK PLURAL GROUPS(such as....The poor, The handicapped, The aged,.... and so on) or UNMARKED PLURALS(such as......police, vermin, folk, youth, cattle....and so on ) are really very confusing.
My textbook(INVISCIBLE TEACHER) says that the two should be treated as plurals and they take plural verbs.

Let's take a critical look at these questions because they look alike...

1: The government which......recruiting........workers suddenly stopped doing so.
(A) are/its
(B) was/its. correct
(C) is/their
(D) were/their

2: The police........happy about the dwindling crime rate.
(A) says they are correct
(B) say it is
(C) say they are
(D) says it is

3: The helpless............our sympathy.
(A) require correct
(B) requires
(C) does require
(D) do requires

4: The vermin on his body........hideous.
(A) makes the lunatic look
(B) make the lunatic look correct
(C) makes the lunatic to look
(D) make the lunatic to look

Anybody that knows the CORRECT ANSWER with the CORRECT EXPLANATION should help out...
don't sweat its simple
government is different from all what u mentioned up there wen govt is in its own plural form it takes (s) eg governments of the three superpowers are same in essence but police poor helpless remain d same both in plural and singular form don't forget there are exceptions in the rules of grammar
example it is said any where you see (to) the verb that will follows must be ing eg look forward to seeing you she confessed to committing the crime. but I can say I am going to read tonight. which is also correct. remember collocation
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by afoobabs(m): 8:31pm On Feb 23, 2018
fhranchez:
grin grin grin grin.
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Samsonyte(m): 12:51am On Feb 24, 2018
IamGoke:

The example u cited above, the correct answer is D.

As for the Government stuff, it takes a singular count noun. e.g EFCC is working hard to reduce corruption to the bearest minimum. If you are dealing with this kind of noun, you don't put the number of people working in the organisation into consideration.
Thanks for correction, the correct answer is D for the example cited and thanks for the explanation
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Samsonyte(m): 12:59am On Feb 24, 2018
afoobabs:

Samson calm down oooo
dont get urself confused

(A) are/its
(B) was/its
(C) is/their
(D) were/their.

therefore
option B is correct
another example

Now

a. was / have
b. were / have
c. was / has
d. were / has

meaning
Yea the correct answer is D.
The example I cited above, my explanation is correct but I mistakenly choose option C instead of D
But Sir this question is from notional concord
'which' refers to 'the government' which we are to use as the subject. So, which of the verbs and pronouns are to used with government? Since the government is considered performing action (recruiting) we are bound to consider government in notional terms, using notional concord applicable rules. a club, a class, a church are all one, each but each contains people. The government by notion contains official s who act (recruit). So we are bound to see government as plural (government official s recruiting) so, we are to use were and their, in reference but, if the government or the named group is not said to have performed action, e.g The government is four years today, four years today (no action mention) then, the singular verb and pronoun must be used.
So the correct option is D
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Samsonyte(m): 1:03am On Feb 24, 2018
afoobabs:

Samson calm down oooo
dont get urself confused

(A) are/its
(B) was/its
(C) is/their
(D) were/their.

therefore
option B is correct
another example

Now

a. was / have
b. were / have
c. was / has
d. were / has

meaning
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Samsonyte(m): 2:26am On Feb 24, 2018
afoobabs:

@iamgoke and Samsonyte:
the correct option is A.

DrBESTJC:
Thanks. but sir I did this particular question in my textbook, I choose A but the answer is D with explanation from the author.
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by sanyamike(m): 8:26am On Feb 24, 2018
how to obtain the

IJMB

form(procedures)

This is to inform the general public that the IJMB form for the 2018/2019 session is on sale.
Ijmb is a 9months program that enables you to gain admission into 200level in any Nigerian university. Read more about Ijmb here.
There are different ways to obtain the IJMB form:
By going to our registration centres in the different parts of the country to pick up the IJMB form for #8,000.
By sending us an email to edualevel@gmail.com requesting for the IJMB form and after filling it you will scan it and send it back to us.

Who can pick up the IJMB form

Any candidate who has completed his or her O' Levels program is eligible to pick up the IJMB form.
N.B : Candidates with Awaiting results can also pick up the IJMB form.
Registration Centres to Obtain IJMB Form .

Ibadan
Lagos
Ilorin
Port Harcourt
Edo
Enugu
Ogun
Requirements For Obtaining IJMB Form

The requirement for IJMB registration includes;
O/Level results (awaiting results can also apply pending University admission)
Two passport photographs.
N8,000 for the application form (non-refundable)

The different Sections in IJMB Form and How to fill it.

If you are registering for IJMB programme with us, you will be required to fill five forms.
The first part of the IJMB form will require you to fill in your personal information like;
Your name
Date of birth
Personal address
Your state of Origin
Subject Combination and
Your Choice of institution .
This section should be properly filled without errors. A mistake made in this section of the IJMB form can be very costly.
The second section is where you will find the available courses and their codes. This section will provide the information you will use to fill the third part.
Here, you are required to also fill the academic section You are applying for.
The third part is where you will fill in the subject you want to register for e.g physics, chemistry and Biology for Medical students.
In this section, you will fill in the code for the three subjects you are applying for (Remember that the codes are in the second page)
The fourth section is to fill in your O/Level Results subjects and grade if available. If not available, fill the subjects and write AWAITING beside it.
Finally, you are to attest in the final page the information you provided is accurate. This will require you to sign and also fill in the date you attested.
Closing Date For IJMB Form

The IJMB form for 2018/2019 session will close soon. Classes will begin by March.
For more info about the IJMB form and how to register please call 08148501101 or visit www.alevelsprogramme.com
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by IamGoke(m): 2:06pm On Feb 24, 2018
Samsonyte:

Thanks for correction, the correct answer is D for the example cited and thanks for the explanation

U are welcome bro
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by adamsanchez: 3:14pm On Feb 25, 2018
pls..av unibadan regain her accreditation for pharmacy.
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Hardebaryor(m): 6:48pm On Feb 25, 2018
adamsanchez:
pls..av unibadan regain her accreditation for pharmacy.
She has.
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Abdulmujeeb52(m): 9:50pm On Feb 25, 2018
fhranchez:
Are you kidding ?
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Dkfpaul(m): 9:39am On Feb 26, 2018
Anyone admitted to study education and political science or anyone aspiring for educational and political science should kindly signify ASAP.
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by DrBESTJC(m): 1:02pm On Feb 26, 2018
I have written my mock examination,and I thank God this is just mock...........I go say e dey bittersweet

We came in the morning and were required to pay 700 naira to be permitted to write the exam and I can say that JAMB is just milking nigerian students dry through this exam.We paid 700naira for the mock registration and just a day or two to the mock exam date, they sent us a message requiring us to pay another 700naira to be able to write the mock.........anyway,na naija we dey!

We did thumbprinting and went into the hall with CCTV cameras mounted at strategic positions.At about 9:00AM,we were asked to log in and write.
........and I logged in.....

I checked one of my most dreaded subjects PHYSICS.40 questions were asked and some of the questions I could recall are these: (please let somebody solve and provide their answers.)
1: If y = A sin(750pt - 0.04px),determine the velocity of the wave.

2: P-type semiconductors are produced by doping the target materials with a....
(A) bivalent material
(B) pentavalent
(C) tetravalent material
(D) trivalent material

3:Optical fibre operates on the principle of
(A) diffraction of waves
(B) polarization of waves
(C) total internal reflection
(D) Refraction of waves

For CHEMISTRY....same 40 questions:
1:The action of ethyl chloride on ammonia will produce
(A) amino acid
(B) Primary amines
(C) secondary amines
(D) tertiary amines

2:Calculate the molar mass in g/mol of an alkyne represented by C11H16
(A) 112
(B) 124
(C) 208
(D) 100

3:Which of the allotropes of tin exists at room temperature
(A) monoclinic
(B) Rhombic
(C) grey
(D) white

For ENGLISH,60 questions were asked and about 7 questions from independence....it was ok

For BIOLOGY,40 questions were asked but tough.

MY EXPERIENCE AND ADVICE: I saw many questions lifted exactly from past questions.So it will be wise to study your pastquestions very well.Also TIME IS NO MAN'S FRIEND! Many people could'nt finish when their systems authomatically submitted their works.

I think this is enough to help a fellow aspirant.

In two/three weeks time,IT WILL ALL BE OVER!!!...........and I wish you guys an unprecedented success in your exams.....

3 Likes

Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Gracy3535(f): 3:43pm On Feb 26, 2018
Thanks for the information
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Gracy3535(f): 3:45pm On Feb 26, 2018
Please what is the difference between collective name/ collective noun

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (191) (Reply)

Thread For PHD Students / 2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide / 2016/2017 UTME And Admission Process Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.