Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:06 AM

Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) (3042 Views)

China Unveils Deadly New Anti-submarine Drone( Pics, Video) / Photos Of Missing Indonesia Submarine Lying At The Bottom Of Ocean / Indonesia Navy Submarine Goes Missing With 53 On Board(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by Explorers(m): 5:00am On Nov 19, 2017
BUENOS AIRES, Nov 17 (Reuters)

An Argentine military submarine with 44 crew members on board was missing at sea on Friday, prompting a massive search to locate the vessel which may have suffered a communication error, a navy spokesman said.

The vessel was in the southern Argentine Sea when it gave its last location few days ago.

"We are investigating the reasons for the lack of communication,"

Argentine naval spokesman Enrique Balbi told reporters.

"If there was a communication problem, the boat would have to come to the surface."

Balbi said the submarine, which left the southern city of Ushuaia for Mar del Plata, both in Argentina, has food supply for several days and is likely to continue its journey despite communication problems.

The ARA San Juan (pictured) last contacted the Argentine navy on Wednesday while 250 miles off the coast of Patagonia and has not been heard from since.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-42030560?ocid=socialflow_twitter

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-5092919/Argentine-submarine-goes-missing-44-crew-members-board-navy.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5095397/US-Navy-joins-search-missing-Argentine-sub.html
Lalasticlala, Mynd44

Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by MaconAwire(m): 5:01am On Nov 19, 2017
HAPPY SUNDAY OGA EXPLORER
Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by Explorers(m): 5:02am On Nov 19, 2017
Eliana Krawczyk, 35, is the weapons officer on the ARA San Juan which last made contact with its base on Wednesday, she is Argentina's first female submariner.

A multi-national rescue operation has been launched to find Ms Krawczyk and her crew mates, including an aircraft from NASA.

Argentina's president Mauricio Macri said:

'We will do what is necessary to find the submarine as soon as possible.'

Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by Explorers(m): 5:04am On Nov 19, 2017
The US Navy has sent a new P-8A Poseidon marine surveillance craft to assist with the search

The US Navy has deployed one of its high-tech surveillance aircraft to help find a missing Argentine attack submarine which went missing three days ago.

NASA has also sent a surveillance aircraft to the scene, diverting it from amission studying Antarctic ice.

The US Navy diverted one of its P-8A Poseidon maritime surveillance aircraft to Bahia Blanca, Argentina to help with the search for the missing submarine.

Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by Eco99(m): 5:04am On Nov 19, 2017
All dis countries sef
Can't sumbori go off grid in peace again

Dats y l love 9ja

Report that ur child is missing for 4 days n d police will tell you come back after 1 month if he is still missing... He has a right to Chill

We not even "on any grid" in the first place

#Eco99#

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by Explorers(m): 5:04am On Nov 19, 2017
Satellite signals have been detected that are likely from a missing Argentine submarine, raising hopes that the 44 crew members are still alive.

Seven failed 'satellite calls' believed to be from the missing ARA San Juan submarine were detected Saturday morning and afternoon in a likely sign the crew was trying to reestablish contact.

Before vanishing on Wednesday, the vessel was on a routine trip from a Naval base in Ushia, on the southern tip of South America, to its home base of Mar del Plata.

The mystery signals lasted between four and 36 seconds and were transmitted between 10.52am and 3.42pm, the Argentine defense ministry said in a statement.

Argentina is working on tracing the location of the signals with an unnamed US company specializing in satellite communications, the ministry said.

The Argentine military submarine ARA San Juan and crew are seen leaving the port of Buenos Aires in a file photo.

Why can't subs be detected?

Submarines are built to be difficult to find. Their role is often to participatein secret surveillance operations. Dr Robert Farley, a lecturer at the University of Kentucky who has written on the subject, says that a sub is very hard to trace if resting on the seabed because under such circumstances it will not be making any" noise".

"Noise, which would otherwise be picked up by what is known as passive sonar, is distorted and [the sub] looks to active sonar pings like the sea bottom," he says.

So how can subs be found?

There are a number of ways that the captain or crew can make their location known if in distress.

These methods include sending signal calls to contacts at naval bases or allied ships, or releasing a device that floats to the surface but remains attached to the submarine.

How long can a crew survive submerged?

The number of days that a crew can survive depends on how long they have already been performing duties underwater and how well prepared they are for losing power.

"If batteries were charged and air refreshed," Dr Farley says, "then outlook is hopeful".

In relation to the Argentine sub he adds: "Outer range appears to be ten days if they were well prepared."

What could have gone wrong?

This remains unclear in the case of the missing ARA San Juan.

But, says Dr Farley, it is possible that an electrical malfunction may have occurred following reports of a fault affecting the sub's batteries.

Such a mechanical breakdown could shut down both the engines, the communication systems and send the Sub down to the seabed, he says.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-42057864

Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by noblealuu: 5:08am On Nov 19, 2017
Hu
Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by Jafar1: 5:17am On Nov 19, 2017
Hope they are found
Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by mamaafrik(m): 5:20am On Nov 19, 2017
D sub isnt too big,a disadvantage sighting it
Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by Ishilove: 5:20am On Nov 19, 2017
Sometimes modern technology fails.

If they run out of supplies they will come to the surface.
Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by naptu2: 5:30am On Nov 19, 2017
Ishilove:

Kursk.

1 Like

Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by KELVINXY: 5:46am On Nov 19, 2017
Its called "hide and seek" for Christ sake!!! undecided grin

1 Like

Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by Emerikoss: 6:32am On Nov 19, 2017
So they can't track it or something? Issorait
Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by Nobody: 6:44am On Nov 19, 2017
Explorers, the wicked thread producer
Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by Ishilove: 7:26am On Nov 19, 2017
naptu2:

Kursk.
sad cry
Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by proudlyYoruba(m): 8:01am On Nov 19, 2017
No hope for this country. Do we have a submarine sef?
Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by MofePR: 8:21am On Nov 19, 2017
I hope it is not a "hunt for the red October" situation. It is not unusual for fiction to inspire true live events.

Could the sub be carrying ultra classified advanced technology?

Rest in peace Tom Clancy.
Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by Ishilove: 8:43am On Nov 19, 2017
naptu2:

Kursk.
I hope I'm wrong but the Kursk scenario hasn't played out here. There have been no reports of explosions or distress. Just radio silence
Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by Nobody: 8:44am On Nov 19, 2017
Na wah oo
Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by Kalapizim(m): 8:46am On Nov 19, 2017
proudlyYoruba:
No hope for this country. Do we have a submarine sef?
what does not having a submarine have to do with a country's hope ? What a brain fart
Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by proudlyYoruba(m): 8:57am On Nov 19, 2017
Kalapizim:
what does not having a submarine have to do with a country's hope ? What a brain fart
Do i have to explain this to you? Countries all over the world have Submarines. Submarines are effective in military because they allow a stealth way to enter into enemy waters and possible attack. And because other countries have also expanded their navies to include submarines, it is an absolute must for the Nigeria to also have submarines to counteract. Military sophistication zero and you claim u are giant of Africa.
Submarines are most prominent in navies; however, they are also used in other venues. In recent decades, they have become much more commonly used as a research tool as well. They allow scientists to travel deep into the see and study deep water sea life. One of the thing used to know how developed a country is is SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY.

3 Likes

Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by proudlyYoruba(m): 8:59am On Nov 19, 2017
Kalapizim:
Oh, you are a military man, I see.
Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by misterh(m): 11:00am On Nov 19, 2017
proudlyYoruba:
Do i have to explain this to you? Countries all over the world have Submarines. Submarines are effective in military because they allow a stealth way to enter into enemy waters and possible attack. And because other countries have also expanded their navies to include submarines, it is an absolute must for the Nigeria to also have submarines to counteract. Military sophistication zero and you claim u are giant of Africa.
Submarines are most prominent in navies; however, they are also used in other venues. In recent decades, they have become much more commonly used as a research tool as well. They allow scientists to travel deep into the see and study deep water sea life. One of the thing used to know how developed a country is is SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY.
I don't see the need for Nigeria to procure a submarine. We don't have a prominent threat from our seas that requires submarines to combat. Submarines are quite expensive to procure and maintain. I don't think Nigeria has the need for one.

1 Like

Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by Nobody: 11:03am On Nov 19, 2017
What's this world turning to
Too many busybodies.

Someone cannot even go missing in peace again
Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by bsideboii(m): 11:37am On Nov 19, 2017
I can only hope they get found very soon.
Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by Xmen149(m): 11:51am On Nov 19, 2017
misterh:
I don't see the need for Nigeria to procure a submarine. We don't have a prominent threat from our seas that requires submarines to combat. Submarines are quite expensive to procure and maintain. I don't think Nigeria has the need for one.

yea you are right,same way we dnt have need for advanced weapons,counter terrorism preps,drones and all till bokoharam came knocking. the need is deep down inside politicians pockets....ok

3 Likes

Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by Kalapizim(m): 12:20pm On Nov 19, 2017
proudlyYoruba:
oga I know the benefits of having one, The navy already have it as a need in their strategic plan with some personnel already trained on submarine operations. I called you out because of the no hope comment you attached to it.
I am not a military personnel.
Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by Nobody: 3:06pm On Nov 19, 2017
Ishilove:

I hope I'm wrong but the Kursk scenario hasn't played out here. There have been no reports of explosions or distress. Just radio silence

You think this one Na like all those missing girl matter and that the boat will turn up on one Caribbean beach?
Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by misterh(m): 4:00pm On Nov 19, 2017
Xmen149:

yea you are right,same way we dnt have need for advanced weapons,counter terrorism preps,drones and all till bokoharam came knocking. the need is deep down inside politicians pockets....ok

Do you know that a submarine costs about $2 billion? That's even beside its maintenance. Now tell me why Nigeria should invest in a submarine right now especially now that we don't have a serious threat from the seas.

1 Like

Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by HarmonyDee(f): 4:17pm On Nov 19, 2017
Another Bermuda triangle?
Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by Nobody: 6:00pm On Nov 19, 2017
misterh:
Do you know that a submarine costs about $2 billion? That's even beside its maintenance. Now tell me why Nigeria should invest in a submarine right now especially now that we don't have a serious threat from the seas.
do u know how much our politicians steals daily?

1 Like

Re: Argentina Submarine Goes Missing With 44 Crew Onboard(Photos) by bejeria101(m): 8:55pm On Nov 19, 2017
Ishilove:
Me sef wonder what they are doing underwater?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Farrakhan Confirms West's Involvement In Abacha's assassination / Soldiers From Other Countries Fighting Russia In Ukraine (photos) / Trump Tweet Mocking North Korea�� Generals.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.