Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,081 members, 7,953,303 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:46 PM

Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties (25635 Views)

Man Lost His Properties 2 Years After His Nigeria Wife Joined Him In Uk(vid,pix) / My Dad's Friend Willed 90% Of His Properties To His Daughters And Not His Son / Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by detagabriel(m): 10:02pm On Nov 19, 2017
I have experience similar problem...is the first child of ur father a male child nd hw old is he.......but for naw dont fight your family member for land..cos...ur enemy might join ur father..give me ur reponse..i will tell u wat to do
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by sinceraconcept(m): 10:03pm On Nov 19, 2017
yvelchstores:
If u can take legal actions, fine.

I will advise tho, a man's wealth consisted not of the things he possesses.

Your life is more impt than millions of naira. If u said u suspect ur father was murdered diabolically, then why do u want to fight.

That u are the first son doesn't mean u will put ur head on the chopping block. I don't even know how old u are.

Why will ur dad, while on d sick bed be worrying about selling of land. Now he has left it behind. Sorry for ur loss, I knw it's painful. I am just trying to show u there is nothing in this earth. Don't be driven by material wealth, be driven by the wisdom of God.

I am almost certain u are Igbo, nwannem, listen to me, jiri ya nwayo. U have unborn children, don't die in a fight that claimed your father's life. To what end.

If ur uncle says the land shld be sold and money shared, his life will still not amount to anything years from now so the most impt thing is your wellbeing, that of your mother and siblings.

Stubbornness is not bravery. Use wisdom.
but let me ask you something. assuming your father's properties were worth billions of dollars,would you still ignore?

1 Like

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by favourmic(m): 10:03pm On Nov 19, 2017
Alexas58:
Please am in need of advices here

My dad has a younger brother whom he trained to the university before he died, being his only brother!
My dads father died when he finished secondary school and my dad was the only one that the family could look up to. So he did some jobs, got some money and trained his younger brother to the university level..

My uncle graduated 10 years ago and nothing to show of it.. My father tried giving him a work to do in a bank, he refused the work and started having problems with my father.

Fast forward now my dad is late, has left behind some kids which are in the university and others are still attending school.

Instead of my uncle to put hands with my mum and burry my father, he is busy dragging my mum to the village that they should share some of my father's property with him, saying that my dad never did anything for him, meanwhile my dad trained him to the University which he never did to any of his children before he died.

Please..my need for posting this is to know if there is any place or anywhere that says that my Uncle must inherit a part of my late father's property, because its part of this property we the children are going to use and establish ourselves and my dad gave a wish that nobody should sell any of his lands while on the sick bed!

Please which legal backing and traditional backing can we use to prevent my uncle from going near that land!..because that land is worth hundreds of millions of naira now!!
Thanks

Please I need solutions too..because we are suspecting him of killing my father because of all his actions!...

Thanks

your story is not complete i believe something is missing from this your story

my only advise for you is stay away from this otherwise you might end up with ur late dad people is wicked we warn if ur dad can work and have those properties why cant you?

1 Like

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by NoToPile: 10:14pm On Nov 19, 2017
aribisala0:

I am not sure what is dishonourable. Culture and tradition is not a thing to pick and choose when convenient. If you don't want this to happen then make a will. If a man dies intestate in Nigeria his estate is subject to Native law and Custom. e.g in Yoruba land a woman does not inherit her husband's property only his children do . Without going into so much detail native law varies from place to place and if the man is a Muslim Sharia law prevails. Under sharia law there is a formula for sharing.

@bolded
Not true pls,

5 Likes

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by aribisala0(m): 10:15pm On Nov 19, 2017
NoToPile:

@bolded
Not true pls,
This is a matter that has gone to the Supreme Court
AKINUBI VS. AKINUBI (1997)2 NWLR 144
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by akmath: 10:15pm On Nov 19, 2017
Reminds me of nollywood movies, especially one that chinwetalu agu featured in, don't ask me for the title.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by favourmic(m): 10:24pm On Nov 19, 2017
ikevictor:

In addition to this, does your father have legal documents specifying him as the owner of the properties?

Cos if the properties belongs to your fathers father, then you are so wrong claiming such. Except your fathers portion alone.

You have rights over your fathers property and his property alone. And be sure before you claim such.

best talk so far
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Nobody: 10:25pm On Nov 19, 2017
You should be shot in the head...

NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Your uncle is still family.

Your mom shouldn't be stingy, she should give him some properties. That's exactly what your late dad will have done for his brother.
After all, you said he isn't doing so well now.

She should give him some.
Just like your dad died to leave them, he will too.
Life is vanity upon vanity.

I'd also advice you guys strive hard for yourselves and don't count so much on your dad's properties. He worked for them, work for yours too.
They are just a bonus and not the principal.

3 Likes

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by khristal87(m): 10:27pm On Nov 19, 2017
if ur dad did nt write a will, am sorry bro
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Nobody: 10:28pm On Nov 19, 2017
Nothing wrong with what he is seeking advise for, besides what his fathet owns is meant for them not a looser of an uncle.

dockokwus:
Your dad without an education struggled to achieve so much,yet you with a university degree are proud to say its your dad's property(ies) you wish to achieve it in life!
Not saying your uncle is right or has any inheritance right to your father's property,but the whole premise of your wanting to 'fight' him is just a put off,to me @least.

2 Likes

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Coolgent(m): 10:35pm On Nov 19, 2017
Lawyers should please help this young man.
Thats why i love Islam; Law of inheritance was there for about 2000yrs ago, and nobody has the right to change it.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Obierika(m): 11:15pm On Nov 19, 2017
I suggest you guys get a good lawyer and promise him a percentage if he successfully secures your fathers assets
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by millionboi2: 11:42pm On Nov 19, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Your mom shouldn't be stingy, she should give him some properties. That's exactly what your late dad will have done for his brother.

I'd also advice you guys strive hard for yourselves and don't count so much on your dad's properties. He worked for them, work for yours too.
Hmmmmm.....you just said my mind.
Most ppl don't know how tick blood is.

D little boy forgot dat d fada could have b responsible for his uncles current status for not estblishin him while alive, instead was given him money to go get certificate.

1 Like

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by HolyTitus(m): 11:50pm On Nov 19, 2017
Alexas58:
Please do something about this..cos my fathers family is ganging up against us!!
How can we make my uncle stay away from my fathers possession while they have not buried him,because that's a major concern for them to burry him
N/b.this my major concern for them to bury him without causing any problem in the family
OP, Which state are you ? If Ondo State, send me a mail via drealoluwasegunota@gmail.com. Good luck to you.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by aspirebig: 11:54pm On Nov 19, 2017
This is more of a spiritual battle....just arrange one prayer point, this matter is sorted.

If you use MOPOL or Army and the uncle drop something in the land ? What will you do?
Report the matter to the king of kings to handle.
Don't take unnecessary risk. Also your maturity and age matters here... are and maturity are two different things... age because if you guys are still small in age, your father s family will be behind your Uncle ....and if you are grown up... they cannot try that nonsense that you must share properties before burial. I know how those family people behave, but you must be strong in prayer. ... Those guys can waste people just like "saaaraa" for nothing because of land and other properties.
If your father was legally married to your mum of not is not an issue for these family members. They can do and undo once the man is late. I am talking from things I have seen.Tradition differs from place to place.

You don't know the extent he must have gone spiritually before he started confronting you.

Do not take this likely oò....this calls for "fire for fire"...serious warfare....no joking till something happens, then others will give way or they fall victim too.

1 Like

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by tonididdy(m): 12:34am On Nov 20, 2017
EazyMoh:
The beauty of Islam, once you have kids, your siblings aren't entitled to a kobo of your wealth as inheritance, even if you are Bill Gates.
wtf...then who is?
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by tonididdy(m): 12:35am On Nov 20, 2017
patriks005:
You have not really hit the nail on the head. Did your father buy the land with his own money or is the land an inherited land from their FATHER? If it is, then his brother has a share!
read earlier posts...he already gave an answer to that
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by tonididdy(m): 12:39am On Nov 20, 2017
akmath:
Reminds me of nollywood movies, especially one that chinwetalu agu featured in, don't ask me for the title.
hahahaha or Pete edochie.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Housing(m): 12:39am On Nov 20, 2017
Alexas58:

He single handedly bought them and they are all in his name..

You, your mum and all your siblings should be prepared to protect your father's properties. Your mum and the senior sibling if not you should reduce family meetings and waiting for decisions from the family. Your nuclear family should choose burial date and start burial arrangements fast. Get a good lawyer probably not from your home town or village and start the process of succession.

1 Like

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by tonididdy(m): 12:49am On Nov 20, 2017
the Lord is your strength OP...

my own advice is you don't wanna battle with inheritances war...it could be deadly, infact yours spells deadly already (if "your uncle" could ask for a share of his brothers properties while his brothers corpse is still in the mortuary).

bro let sleeping dogs lye oh
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by tonididdy(m): 12:54am On Nov 20, 2017
or you could...

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by EazyMoh(m): 1:15am On Nov 20, 2017
tonididdy:

wtf...then who is?
Lol! your kids, spouse and parents. Your siblings can only inherit you if you have no surviving offspring nor parent.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Daboomb: 1:25am On Nov 20, 2017
Muafrika2:

There are some standard forms you fill with details of his assets, dependants and liabilities (debts, loans etc)

It also conations a form whereby you and your mother or just her apply to be the administrator of his property which means to take care of it for a few months and facilitate it's subdivision among his children and wife. It only takes months. Not sure of Nigeria coz am not there.

Its a process you can start yourself with help from court registry. Its best you get a lawyer to start the process because the paperwork can be confusing.

It is called a PROBATE.
He will go to the court registrar and request for Probate forms.
They should also file that his Mum becomes and gets the 'Power of Attorney' over his Estates.

But l will advice he uses a Lawyer to do these as the court process canbe very frustrating and you cant bet against it that your Uncle and your other relatives wont get in-touch with such Registrar and turn thing on its head against you and your Mum.

@BruncleZuma made a suggestion concerning a Lawyer that can help you.

BTW: Yoru Dad is dead and the burial Circus is exactly what it is, A CIRCUS!
Dont let anyone use that to blackmail you into anything. Burial or not, it will not bring him back to life.

Legally, since he died intestate and has a legal wife, (your mum) becaimes his next of kin and therefore inherits him.
If they misbehave, your Mum should also get a restraining/gagging order against them in a court.

Act fast because "Fortune favours the swift".
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Daboomb: 1:28am On Nov 20, 2017
tonididdy:
the Lord is your strength OP...

my own advice is you don't wanna battle with inheritances war...it could be deadly, infact yours spells deadly already (if "your uncle" could ask for a share of his brothers properties while his brothers corpse is still in the mortuary).

bro let sleeping dogs lye oh

"The Devil wants to eat with you, you are saying no chance"?

FEAR kills faster than Death itself!
He wil die when he would die and wont die if it is not yet his time.

Be bold and see how they themselves will start being afraid of you (I am not saying be reckless!).
Just be Bold but very smart.

In the Jungle, FEAR is the odour that attracts PREDATORS to you.

1 Like

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Daboomb: 1:37am On Nov 20, 2017
aribisala0:

I am not sure what is dishonourable. Culture and tradition is not a thing to pick and choose when convenient. If you don't want this to happen then make a will. If a man dies intestate in Nigeria his estate is subject to Native law and Custom. e.g in Yoruba land a woman does not inherit her husband's property only his children do . Without going into so much detail native law varies from place to place and if the man is a Muslim Sharia law prevails. Under sharia law there is a formula for sharing.

You are COMPLETELY WRONG Sir!
Once they are legally married, she becomes his Next of Kin, except he has written a Will which dictates how his Estate is to be shared on his death.

And "Legal Statutes" supercede Native Law and Custom, ....where both operate in same locality and are in contention

Men should PLEASE, Write A WILL!
No matter how trivial what you have is, save your family the trouble and harrassment of extended family members who have made it their "life occupation" to wait for another family member to die so they can start wahala with the children/wife

Some of these family members are not even on speaking terms with the dead personwhen he was alive but once he dies, they suddenly develop some "love" for his properties!
angry angry
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Daboomb: 1:43am On Nov 20, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Agreed that "Uncle" is still family but wait:

- Why is he so aggresive about sharing properties and cant wait for the dead to beburied first?
- Why cant he just apply himself to working hard and make his own money, afterall, he is trained by the dead man, to graduate level?
- What are the children left behind supposed to live-on, now that their father is dead and "Uncle" wants to eat-off what is left behind?
- Why should some family members be so concerned in sharing the property of a dead relative, when their are children still to be trained?
- Is the "Uncle" not supposed toeven be contributing money for the children of his brother and even offering to train them, instead of fighting them over what their Dad left behind?

I say the Eldest Son should brandish cutlass and threaten to behead any Uncle who does not go away and work for his own properties.
These Properties belong to ur Father and woe betide any Uncle who shows face!

3 Likes

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Charly68: 4:09am On Nov 20, 2017
aribisala0:

I am not sure what is dishonourable. Culture and tradition is not a thing to pick and choose when convenient. If you don't want this to happen then make a will. If a man dies intestate in Nigeria his estate is subject to Native law and Custom. e.g in Yoruba land a woman does not inherit her husband's property only his children do . Without going into so much detail native law varies from place to place and if the man is a Muslim Sharia law prevails. Under sharia law there is a formula for sharing. Thanks for the clarification what baffled me most is the zeal & desperacy of the uncle over property sharing when the deceased is not yet buried..it is very appalling..

Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Nobody: 4:33am On Nov 20, 2017
Muafrika2:

There are some standard forms you fill with details of his assets, dependants and liabilities (debts, loans etc)

It also conations a form whereby you and your mother or just her apply to be the administrator of his property which means to take care of it for a few months and facilitate it's subdivision among his children and wife. It only takes months. Not sure of Nigeria coz am not there.

Its a process you can start yourself with help from court registry. Its best you get a lawyer to start the process because the paperwork can be confusing.
Please explain to me.I have an Aunt who has a male child for her fiance but he died in febuary and the family has been threatning to kill her and all that but please can that letter of administrator work for her since she is not married to him but have a child
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by africanusvu(m): 5:35am On Nov 20, 2017
Alexas58:

My dad has a younger brother whom he trained to the university before he died, being his only brother!
My dads father died when he finished secondary school and my dad was the only one that the family could look up to. So he did some jobs, got some money and trained his younger brother to the university level..

My uncle graduated 10 years ago and nothing to show of it.. My father tried giving him a work to do in a bank, he refused the work and started having problems with my father.

Fast forward now my dad is late, has left behind some kids which are in the university and others are still attending school.

Instead of my uncle to put hands with my mum and burry my father, he is busy dragging my mum to the village that they should share some of my father's property with him, saying that my dad never did anything for him, meanwhile my dad trained him to the University which he never did to any of his children before he died.

Please..my need for posting this is to know if there is any place or anywhere that says that my Uncle must inherit a part of my late father's property, because its part of this property we the children are going to use and establish ourselves and my dad gave a wish that nobody should sell any of his lands while on the sick bed!

Please which legal backing and traditional backing can we use to prevent my uncle from going near that land!..because that land is worth hundreds of millions of naira now!!
Thanks

Please I need solutions too..because we are suspecting him of killing my father because of all his actions!...

Thanks
Bros sory for ur lost.but I don't know which tribe u ar.listen.in Africa.so far that property belong to ur father's father.then ur fathers brother have right to it.from ur story.I undstsnd that the land ur uncle is holding unto belong to ur grand father but Jr father being the senior.highjacked it and don't want his junior to av access to it.may be ur dad never told u d truth just like u ar hiding the whole truth to us here. Guy.find out who actually owns d land.if its ur father.good.but if ur grandfather. Remove ur hand before amadioha ozuzu comes visiting
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by Sterope(f): 5:47am On Nov 20, 2017
Get a hard-working lawyer!
Alexas58:

Thanks

Thanks
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by feeloscar(m): 5:51am On Nov 20, 2017
Alexas58:

Yes!!
He was very young!..
He didn't think he would pass on so soon
dad did nt leave a will but told u on his sick bed nt to sell the land? there is something u ar nt telling us.
Re: Help!! My Father's Brother Wants To Inherit Some Of His Properties by chilan: 5:53am On Nov 20, 2017
Bad advice. So because the man is a brother of the deceased, he should inherit his late brother's property when the deceased man has wife and children? For proper advice, simply send an email and a request for free legal advice to info@excellawchambers.com

NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? / "Last Born": 5 Things You Can Relate To As The Youngest Child / Should Married Individuals Keep In Touch With Exes?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.