Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,448 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:25 PM

The Concept Of Tithing And Reasons Why I Pay My Tithe - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Concept Of Tithing And Reasons Why I Pay My Tithe (1246 Views)

The Significance of Tithing and Firstfruits for Believers / Have You Ever Been Blessed Through Tithing And Giving In Church? / I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Concept Of Tithing And Reasons Why I Pay My Tithe by SageTravels: 2:07pm On Nov 19, 2017
Tithing is a concept that has created great controversy inside and outside the church. Some people feel like tithing is a slick way for pastors and ministers to get rich.

Others feel like tithing is a problem because they don't know what their church is doing with the money. However, both arguments are false. Tithing has nothing to do with your pastor or your church... tithing is between you and God.

Tithing is a way for us to show God that we believe and trust in him. If you believe that your church is not spending the tithe correctly; then you are at the wrong church. If you think that your pastor is abusing his position with the tithe; then you are at the wrong church. I would not worship or give my tithes and offerings at a church where I felt that everyone was crooked. Also, every man of God who is not a good steward with God's provision will answer too God. If your pastor or church is abusing God's money; they will answer to God Almighty.

Abraham was the first man ever recorded in the bible to give tithes to God. Read the full account in Genesis 14.

Hebrews 7 sheds more light on Melchizedek. Here he is called the priest of the Most High God. He was the only one qualified to receive tithes from Abraham. All this happened before the law was established. There is no record of Abraham, who at this time was still called Abram, being told to give tithes to God. Nor is any explanation given for Abraham's paying of tithes. It seems as if the tithes were a free will offering that Abraham instinctively knew he should give. He did it willingly.

Abraham's victory in battle led him to pay tithes. He was not paying a financial debt but offering a gratitude of praise and thanks to God with his tithes. Abraham was moved to give tithes not compelled.

Jacob gives us the second reference to paying tithes when he made a vow to God
Genesis 28:22. Here Jacob was following a family tradition. Paying of tithes was an act of gratitude and acknowledgement of God's blessings. Giving was and still is an act of worship.

The giving of tithes would seem to be an offering that demonstrates our acceptance of God as our Lord. It is a way of saying thank you to God. It has nothing to do with the law but everything to do with a grateful heart and a love for God.

Tithes and the law

Hundreds of years after Abraham had first paid tithes, the law of Moses was elaborating the validity of tithes. The biggest argument against paying tithes seems to be with its association with the law. Although godly men before the Law fulfilled the practice of tithing, the Law of Moses made it mandatory.

Leviticus 27: 30 - 32 The law of Moses also mentions tithes in Numbers 18: 21 - 29 in relation to it supporting the Levites, the tribe dedicated as priests of God.

What is even more interesting here is the purpose for which the tithes were given. Read the above verses from Numbers again and you will realize that the tithes goes towards supporting the Levites who in turn give part of it as an offering to the Lord. When we take that in context with Leviticus 27:30 - 32.

The 4 Reasons Why I Tithe

1. Supporting the work of God - Acts 4:32 - 35

2. Providing for the laborers and the work of the kingdom - 1 Corinthians 9:14, Galatians 6:6

3. To support the disadvantaged (strangers, homeless, fatherless e.t.c) - Romans 15:26, 1 Corinthians 16: 1-2, Acts 11: 27 - 30
4. Everything we have belongs to God (Matthew 19:21).

The law was given to make things clear. Without the law we would not understand sin. Sin was around before the law but the law exposed it. Read the whole book of Galatians to get more insight into this truth.

The giving of tithes was also around before the law. Again the law helped in the establishing its importance and relevance. The law did not invent tithing, it only exposed it. We could say the same of sacrifice and obedience.

But what does the New Testament say about tithes?

Not a lot. In fact the only references to tithing in the New Testament are Matthew 23:23, Luke 11:42, Luke 18:12 and Hebrew 7: 5 - 9.

The absence of any direct command for a Christian to pay tithes in the New Testament does not relieve us of this great privilege of worship and acknowledgement of the Lord we serve. For this is what tithing is all about. Tithe is a helpful hint of where the dedicated believer should start his or her giving.

Tithing is not an act to fulfil the law but a demonstration of our love for God. When God gives you a hint it is prudent to take it.

Conclusion

Tithing started before the law. It was an act of worship and dedication to God. It confesses His Lordship. Godly men (and women) tithed as they were led. The law made the need for tithing obvious. Malachi highlighted some of the blessings associated with tithing. The New Testament admonishes us to give. Tithing shows us how.

Tithing lets us know where to begin. There are only two real requirements with regards to tithing. Firstly, it should not be less than one tenth of your income and secondly, it should be the first fruit. In other words, the first thing you pay - an offering to God. Remember, He owns it all.
Tithing is your act of worship.
Lets end with the words of Jesus
Luke 16:13-16

CC; Seun Mynd44 OAM4J

1 Like

Re: The Concept Of Tithing And Reasons Why I Pay My Tithe by myboy2010(m): 2:20pm On Nov 19, 2017
Re: The Concept Of Tithing And Reasons Why I Pay My Tithe by paxonel(m): 2:36pm On Nov 19, 2017
SageTravels:
Tithing is a concept that has created great controversy inside and outside the church. Some people feel like tithing is a slick way for pastors and ministers to get rich.

Others feel like tithing is a problem because they don't know what their church is doing with the money. However, both arguments are false. Tithing has nothing to do with your pastor or your church... tithing is between you and God.

Tithing is a way for us to show God that we believe and trust in him. If you believe that your church is not spending the tithe correctly; then you are at the wrong church. If you think that your pastor is abusing his position with the tithe; then you are at the wrong church. I would not worship or give my tithes and offerings at a church where I felt that everyone was crooked. Also, every man of God who is not a good steward with God's provision will answer too God. If your pastor or church is abusing God's money; they will answer to God Almighty.

Abraham was the first man ever recorded in the bible to give tithes to God. Read the full account in Genesis 14.

Hebrews 7 sheds more light on Melchizedek. Here he is called the priest of the Most High God. He was the only one qualified to receive tithes from Abraham. All this happened before the law was established. There is no record of Abraham, who at this time was still called Abram, being told to give tithes to God. Nor is any explanation given for Abraham's paying of tithes. It seems as if the tithes were a free will offering that Abraham instinctively knew he should give. He did it willingly.

Abraham's victory in battle led him to pay tithes. He was not paying a financial debt but offering a gratitude of praise and thanks to God with his tithes. Abraham was moved to give tithes not compelled.

Jacob gives us the second reference to paying tithes when he made a vow to God
Genesis 28:22. Here Jacob was following a family tradition. Paying of tithes was an act of gratitude and acknowledgement of God's blessings. Giving was and still is an act of worship.

The giving of tithes would seem to be an offering that demonstrates our acceptance of God as our Lord. It is a way of saying thank you to God. It has nothing to do with the law but everything to do with a grateful heart and a love for God.

Tithes and the law

Hundreds of years after Abraham had first paid tithes, the law of Moses was elaborating the validity of tithes. The biggest argument against paying tithes seems to be with its association with the law. Although godly men before the Law fulfilled the practice of tithing, the Law of Moses made it mandatory.

Leviticus 27: 30 - 32 The law of Moses also mentions tithes in Numbers 18: 21 - 29 in relation to it supporting the Levites, the tribe dedicated as priests of God.

What is even more interesting here is the purpose for which the tithes were given. Read the above verses from Numbers again and you will realize that the tithes goes towards supporting the Levites who in turn give part of it as an offering to the Lord. When we take that in context with Leviticus 27:30 - 32.

The 4 Reasons Why I Tithe

1. Supporting the work of God - Acts 4:32 - 35

2. Providing for the laborers and the work of the kingdom - 1 Corinthians 9:14, Galatians 6:6

3. To support the disadvantaged (strangers, homeless, fatherless e.t.c) - Romans 15:26, 1 Corinthians 16: 1-2, Acts 11: 27 - 30
4. Everything we have belongs to God (Matthew 19:21).

The law was given to make things clear. Without the law we would not understand sin. Sin was around before the law but the law exposed it. Read the whole book of Galatians to get more insight into this truth.

The giving of tithes was also around before the law. Again the law helped in the establishing its importance and relevance. The law did not invent tithing, it only exposed it. We could say the same of sacrifice and obedience.

But what does the New Testament say about tithes?

Not a lot. In fact the only references to tithing in the New Testament are Matthew 23:23, Luke 11:42, Luke 18:12 and Hebrew 7: 5 - 9.

The absence of any direct command for a Christian to pay tithes in the New Testament does not relieve us of this great privilege of worship and acknowledgement of the Lord we serve. For this is what tithing is all about. Tithe is a helpful hint of where the dedicated believer should start his or her giving.

Tithing is not an act to fulfil the law but a demonstration of our love for God. When God gives you a hint it is prudent to take it.

Conclusion

Tithing started before the law. It was an act of worship and dedication to God. It confesses His Lordship. Godly men (and women) tithed as they were led. The law made the need for tithing obvious. Malachi highlighted some of the blessings associated with tithing. The New Testament admonishes us to give. Tithing shows us how.

Tithing lets us know where to begin. There are only two real requirements with regards to tithing. Firstly, it should not be less than one tenth of your income and secondly, it should be the first fruit. In other words, the first thing you pay - an offering to God. Remember, He owns it all.
Tithing is your act of worship.
Lets end with the words of Jesus
Luke 16:13-16

CC; Seun Mynd44 OAM4J
Op, you are not getting the point of contemption, you are still taking references from old testament, Abraham and Melchizedek
Was christianity old testament?

Show us where new testament christians in the bible paid tithe .
What i mean is, starting from the book of act of the apostles down to the book of revelation.
You know that christianity started from the book of act.

Nobody is against giving money to pastors and their ministry but that should be done in a better platform.
Not tithe

Tithe is continuous financial distortion from people who were made to believe that if they pay
God will open a window of heaven and poor out a blessing to them, meanwhile, many of them have been paying yet they remain in abject poverty.

They were also coarsed that if they don't pay it means they are robbing God.
For them not to be seen robbing God, they find themselves paying.

Is that not scam?
Re: The Concept Of Tithing And Reasons Why I Pay My Tithe by SageTravels: 3:34pm On Nov 19, 2017
paxonel:

Op, you are not getting the point of contemption, you are still taking references from old testament, Abraham and Melchizedek
Was christianity old testament?

Show us where new testament christians in the bible paid tithe .
What i mean is, starting from the book of act of the apostles down to the book of revelation.
You know that christianity started from the book of act.

Nobody is against giving money to pastors and their ministry but that should be done in a better platform.
Not tithe

Tithe is continuous financial distortion from people who were made to believe that if they pay
God will open a window of heaven and poor out a blessing to them, meanwhile, many of them have been paying yet they remain in abject poverty.

They were also coarsed that if they don't pay it means they are robbing God.
For them not to be seen robbing God, they find themselves paying.

Is that not scam?

You said nothing. you talked about Abraham as old testament yet you are still singing Abraham Blessings are mine. you still make reference to Abraham when you are in Need. You pray for his kind of faith but to Tithe you will remember he was of Old.

I can point out scriptures where it is written that if you don't pay you are rubbing God. if you obey God's commandments and yet no results check yourself.

1 Like

Re: The Concept Of Tithing And Reasons Why I Pay My Tithe by Olifiz(m): 3:35pm On Nov 19, 2017
OP u quoted Hebrews chapter seven verse 5. Pls read verse 12 and 18 of that same Hebrews chapter 7. They u will see why u should stop paying tithe. Ur sentiments are not needed the Bible or the word of God is not sentimental.
Re: The Concept Of Tithing And Reasons Why I Pay My Tithe by SageTravels: 3:56pm On Nov 19, 2017
Olifiz:
OP u quoted Hebrews chapter seven verse 5. Pls read verse 12 and 18 of that same Hebrews chapter 7. They u will see why u should stop paying tithe. Ur sentiments are not needed the Bible or the word of God is not sentimental.

Which sentiment. or is it you that decided to read where you want and leave the rest. Why don't you read the who chapter.

1 Like

Re: The Concept Of Tithing And Reasons Why I Pay My Tithe by paxonel(m): 5:35pm On Nov 19, 2017
SageTravels:

You said nothing. you talked about Abraham as old testament yet you are still singing Abraham Blessings are mine. you still make reference to Abraham when you are in Need. You pray for his kind of faith but to Tithe you will remember he was of Old.

I can point out scriptures where it is written that if you don't pay you are rubbing God. if you obey God's commandments and yet no results check yourself.
It's not everyone that sings Abraham blessings are mine.
I don't sing that.
The reason is clear, i don't need Abraham to be blessed by God.

Secondly, i don't pray for his kind of Faith,
God forbid!!!!
When my faith is in Christ??

Now, all the great things that were done by Abraham including his tithe,through is faith(the old covenant), hear what the scripture says about them in contrast to the christian faith through Christ( the new covenant)

Hebrews 11:39-40
39.And these all(all the people mentioned in this chapter11), having obtained a good report through faith(including Abraham as previously mentioned if you read from verse1 of this chapter11 down), RECEIVED NOT THE PROMISE
40.God having provided some better thing(a better faith through Christ) for us, that they(all the people mentioned including Abraham) without us should not be made perfect.

Do you see that?

Abraham did not even receive the promise.
What he received as old covenant was a shadow of the real thing.

I'm the real thing
You are the real thing.

That without me Abraham is not perfect

Now, the question is, between me and Abraham who should be one wishing to be like who or having whose faith?
Certainly, it is Abraham that should wish to be like me and wish to have my faith which is through Christ and not the other way round.

Get that?

Infact Abraham should pay tithe to me and not me paying tithe.

That's why I'm asking you this question,
Mention one christian from the book of act to the book of revelation who has paid tithe?

Bible can never contradicts itself

Know your right from today grin

1 Like

Re: The Concept Of Tithing And Reasons Why I Pay My Tithe by Olifiz(m): 6:32pm On Nov 19, 2017
SageTravels:

Which sentiment. or is it you that decided to read where you want and leave the rest. Why don't you read the who chapter.

If a bible verse says do not kill do u have to read the whole bible or chapter to see whether there’s contradiction. Didn’t u only pick out verse 5 of Hebrews chapter 7 to justify ur claim. Why didn’t u read further to see where the law became void n laid incompetent. U can read the whole chapter. The major point there is that the law became void.

Example: there was a law for atonement of sin by sacrificing animal. That law became void wen Jesus died. Why are u not still killing animals.

There’s a place in Matthew can’t remember exactly. Where Jesus was telling Christians then not to be like the Pharisees and sadusees that collect tithe.

1 Like

Re: The Concept Of Tithing And Reasons Why I Pay My Tithe by SageTravels: 6:56pm On Nov 19, 2017
Olifiz:

If a bible verse says do not kill do u have to read the whole bible or chapter to see whether there’s contradiction. Didn’t u only pick out verse 5 of Hebrews chapter 7 to justify ur claim. Why didn’t u read further to see where the law became void n laid incompetent. U can read the whole chapter. The major point there is that the law became void.

Example: there was a law for atonement of sin by sacrificing animal. That law became void wen Jesus died. Why are u not still killing animals.

There’s a place in Matthew can’t remember exactly. Where Jesus was telling Christians then not to be like the Pharisees and sadusees that collect tithe.

You must remember ooo.

if the Bible says don't kill, you need to read further to see reasons. BTW why don't you pick Mal 3 since you want to pick
Re: The Concept Of Tithing And Reasons Why I Pay My Tithe by Olifiz(m): 11:29pm On Nov 19, 2017
SageTravels:

You must remember ooo.

if the Bible says don't kill, you need to read further to see reasons. BTW why don't you pick Mal 3 since you want to pick

Oh my oh my. The Bible instructed in Deuteronomy for tithes to be paid, in Malachi 3:10 same Old Testament the Bible also said tithes should be paid. Then in the New Testament after Jesus died in Hebrews 7:5-18 it explained why tithe was being paid n also told us that the law on tithe is set aside because it was weak and ineffective verse 19 says that law made nothin perfect but the introduction of a better hope (in Jesus) did which makes us draw closer to God.
Jesus Christ never preached or told people to pay tithes, after he died he’s apostles never preached or collected tithes so tell me why should Christians preach Pay n collect tithe since our master Jesus never did so. We need to be very careful in things we do.

Pls bro get this straight. The coming n death of Christ changed a lot of things not everything but a lot of things especially certain laws not all laws. So pls try to read n understand better.
Re: The Concept Of Tithing And Reasons Why I Pay My Tithe by petra1(m): 11:47pm On Nov 19, 2017
Wow
Re: The Concept Of Tithing And Reasons Why I Pay My Tithe by connectikut89(m): 5:24am On Nov 20, 2017
Very weak argument by SageTravels. Trying to convince us to pay tithes with emotions like your pastors do instead of facts. When you bring in emotions or sentiments into an argument, you don't sound intelligent like Christ or even Paul did. They were equipped with the scriptures. When will you people ever realize that tithes was food (farm produce or animal) and was never money? Leviticus 27:30-34.

The Christian ministry ought to be supported but did the early apostles collect tithes to support the gospel? Until you point to a bible verse from Acts to Revelation where the Christians gave tithes or where admonished to give tithes (if you find it, I promise to come and pay tithes in your church but I bet you won't because even your Pastor is still looking for it), keep reading your Bible and learn from the likes of paxonel who read their bibles and cannot be swindled.

Read 2Thessalonians 3:6-15 & 1Thessalonians 2:1-12 and be wowed. No tithe-preaching pastor ever reads these bible passages to their congregation.

1 Like

Re: The Concept Of Tithing And Reasons Why I Pay My Tithe by Nobody: 3:43am On Nov 22, 2017
Brother/sister,
Thank u for this wonderfully & beautifully written blessed piece!

(1) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom 8,500 Capacity Worship Center Project Commences Soon / RCCG Sunday School Students Manual For Feb.18 Lesson 25 : — Turning The Tide / "Why Does God Command That Infants Should Be Dashed Upon The Rocks"?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.