Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,932 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili (7083 Views)

PDP Senators Kick As Buhari Fails To Submit List Of Ministers - Vanguard / Peter Obi’s Sordid Affair With Dora Akunyili / Saharareporters: Dora Akunyili's Resignation Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by Kobojunkie: 10:47pm On Mar 24, 2010
eina:

Kobo you should know what am talking about. Between Iwu and dora who is better? You dont need an accurate measurement to produce the answer. Do you?

NO I don't. I am not you and so do not think as you do. I would very much like to know what standards you judge this by. Cause I would ask the people the same question of how they deemed Yar adua a good candidate for a second term after he failed, in my opinion, the first time around.
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by marvix(m): 10:57pm On Mar 24, 2010
Actually, yes I would ask a student to repeat for that. In fact if you go to many of the HIGH STANDARD schools around, you would see that is next to the NORM, and hence the reason why the students continue to do all they can to aim high each semester.

Hmmm I hear u so ur children come home with a 100% to be promoted to the next level and I bet u were always 1st in ur school days never getting less than a 100% in all ur exams.

You claim to be in the US, tell me abt d health bill, as good as it is y didn't it get a 100% from the congress or even a 100% among democrats in the congress or maybe the health bill shouldn't hav been signed by the president.

Because you are in America lonely and far away from home you want those of us here to feel gloomy,sad and hopeless without faith in this country, did the US get to where they are in 50yrs of nationhood, have they gotten to their peak are they devoid of corruption in govt, how safe is d streets of US that necesitates people having firearms, do they have a 100% employment status, please spare us come back to Nigeria and do something because if Americans had left their country while they were strugglin I wonder where you would have been today?
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by Nobody: 11:01pm On Mar 24, 2010
Kobo I have to take my exit from this thread now. You know the sense and truth in what am saying, but I know you will never succumb.
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by bkbabe97: 11:05pm On Mar 24, 2010
marvix:

please spare us come back to Nigeria and do something because if Americans had left their country while they were strugglin I wonder where you would have been today?

Flawed arguement, the British left the suffering in they country and came to this land here, so did the Irish and the Polish and the Italians and the Dutch and the Chinese and the . . . . . should I go on?
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by Kobojunkie: 11:06pm On Mar 24, 2010
eina:

Kobo I have to take my exit from this thread now. You know the sense and truth in what am saying, but I know you will never succumb.

But why should i be the party here to succumb? I have presented you the woman's own record to help you understand what is wrong with the claim that she is a GREAT ASSET to our democracy. You, on the other hand have continued to make sentimental arguments for her. Why don't you maybe see that MY VIEW is not the issue here but her own record, which clearly shows she is not the old SWEETHEART that people cling to.

I had this sort of debate about 3 years ago with Yar adua loyalists, some of them are still out there. Even IBB have folks who would worship him and advocate for him till the end, and it does not suprise me that we are still where we are politically and as a people in Nigeria.

Like I said earlier, I don't think as you do and I don't pretend to read minds either.
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by marvix(m): 11:45pm On Mar 24, 2010
Quote from bk/babe97
Flawed arguement, the British left the suffering in they country and came to this land here, so did the Irish and the Polish and the Italians and the Dutch and the Chinese and the . . . . .  should I go on?

No don't go on, u can as well lead those that share ur views and move out of Nigeria and make ur own nation, maybe u move to Niger republic to get land, or u can form ur country within another country where u hav been granted asylum. NONSENSE. Hisses
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by Kobojunkie: 11:52pm On Mar 24, 2010
[size=14pt]Nigeria: I Spoke With Yar'Adua Briefly[/size] - Jonathan
Daniel Idonor and Henry Umoru
7 January 2010
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-418567.96.html

VICE President Goodluck Jonathan said he spoke with the ailing President Yar'Adua "briefly on Tuesday evening, precisely at 8:00 pm." He told the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting, which held yesterday.

The Minister of Information and Communication, Professor Dora Akunyili made the disclosure while briefing State House Correspondents.

Asked to tell Nigerians the present condition of the president's health, she said that she had said all she knew.

Meanwhile, the vice president who always arrived on time to chair the FEC meeting was, yesterday, behind schedule due to another meeting he held behind closed-doors with the Governors Forum at his residence. The meeting lasted for about two hours.

As early as 8:30 a.m. the governors elected under the platform of the People Democratic Party (PDP), and led by chairman of the Forum, Governor Bukola Saraki of Kwara State, stormed the vice president's residence in a long convoy. By 9:30 a.m. when the meeting ended, the governors, in the same manner they came, zoomed out while the vice president's convoy also left residence to attend the FEC meeting.

Details of the meeting, however, remained scanty, as no participant was willing to go into details on what the governors discussed with Jonathan.

Vanguard, however, spoke to the chairman of the Forum, Dr. Saraki who said "the meeting went on very well" adding that details of the meeting would be made public by the vice president at the appropriate time.

But an impeccable Presidency source said the governors came for a solidarity visit and to reassure the vice president of their support and cooperation in the face on the growing political quagmire in the country. The source added that the issue of the health of the president was discussed with the VP in addition to other pressing national issues occasioned by the absence of President Umaru Yar'Adua.

On Tuesday night, the governors met to review the current situation in the country and the Wednesday's meeting with Jonathan may be to brief Jonathan on the decisions taken at the meeting, the source said.

El-Rufai, 96 others petition Saudi King Abdullah

Meanwhile, former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mallam Nasir El_Rufai and 96 other Nigerians in diaspora have written to King Abdullah Bin Abdul Aziz Al Saoud requesting him to tell Nigerians the whereabout of President Umaru Yar'Adua who is currently undergoing treatment for heart related disease in a Saudi hospital.

The petitioners in the letter which was made available to newsmen in Abuja said their appeal was necessitated by the desire by Nigerians to know the whereabout of the President who has been away for six weeks now.

They also cited being subjected to half disclosures by government officials since the President's departure to Saudi Arabia in November, 2009.

The letter reads: "In the Name of God, Most Beneficent, Most Merciful. We the under-listed concerned citizens of the Federal Republic of Nigeria address this open letter of appeal to your government to reveal to Nigerians the exact location and state of health of our President, Umaru Musa Yar'Adua who we believe has been your guest and patient in one of your hospitals since November 23, 2009. This open letter of appeal has become necessary because a nation of nearly 150 million has not seen or heard of its president for six weeks without any credible information.

"Your Royal Highness, Umaru Yar'Adua is not a private patient but our president and an employee accountable to millions of people. Information about his physical and mental well-being cannot be subject to the usual medical confidentiality of any ordinary citizen.

This information should not be kept secret from the people he leads. Sadly, we must admit, that our current government has failed to be truthful and transparent about the extent of infirmity of our president.

"In the eyes of many Nigerians, the Saudi government has, by default, become part of the conspiracy of secrecy that threatens to destabilize our democracy.

Because without information on whether the president is alive or dead, permanently or temporarily infirm, the appropriate provisions of our Constitution cannot take effect to deepen and broaden our democracy. The effect of this leadership vacuum on our nation's peace, progress and orderliness is self-evident, Your Highness.

As Crown Prince of your Kingdom, you took charge of the affairs of state when your elder brother, King Fahd of blessed memory, became ill. Also, when Crown Prince Sultan departed for the United States for treatment on November 23, 2008, the Saudi public was made aware of the progress in his treatment leading to his return to the Kingdom on December 10, 2009.

Leadership of nation-states is and must be continuous, and Nigerians need your intervention for our country's young democracy to survive.

"You may recall that our shared mutual history has shown that there is a tendency for adventurists to take advantage of the vacuum caused by prolonged visits of top Nigerian government functionaries to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to stage a coup d'etat as was the case when the government of Nigeria under the leadership of Major Generals Muhammadu Buhari and Tunde Idiagbon was overthrown in 1985 as a direct consequence of Tunde Idiagbon's prolonged stay in your country.

This action severely embarrassed the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and set a precedent. In view of this, it is our desire to forestall any such act by military adventurists by requesting for accurate information from the government of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia which will enable the Nigerian people take advantage of the clauses in our constitution which provide for orderly continuity in government in the event that the president is incapacitated by illness.

"Your Royal Highness, we implore you to use your good offices to let our nation know the state of our President."
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by marvix(m): 11:54pm On Mar 24, 2010
Kobojunkie how come a refugee like u in America can claim more knowlegde abt our leaders more than those of us here. I'm still waitin 4 ur analysis of d health bill in d US, or hav u suddenly lost ur knowledge and facts I'm waitin.
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by Kobojunkie: 11:57pm On Mar 24, 2010
[size=13pt]

November 23, 2009: Yar’Adua left Abuja for Saudi Arabia for what the presidential spokesperson, Segun Adeniyi, described as “follow-up medical checks”. • November 26, 2009: Segun Adeniyi informed journalists that Yar’Adua’s illness was acute pericarditis. •December 3, 2009: Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, Nigerian Bar Association president called on President Yar’Adua to resign if he could no longer discharge his functions as president.

December 7, 2009: Hajia Dada, Yar’Adua’s mother denied she was unhappy that her son was holding on to power in spite of his illness and equally denied she was at logger heads with Turai, Yar’Adua’s wife over the president’s illness.

December 9, 2009: Communicating the Federal Executive Council position to journalists, Dora Akunyili, minister of information, said “I can confirm to you that Mr. President is still in the Saudi hospital. He is responding to treatment but it is only his doctors that can determine when he is coming back”. • December 15, 2009: Michael Aondoakaa, attorney-general and minister of justice, said President Yar’Adua can rule Nigeria from his sick bed or from anywhere in the world.

December 19, 2009: Abubakar Baraje, national secretary of PDP, speaks: “We are in constant touch with the president. For the seventh time, I spoke with him at 1.55a.m on Friday … this is the same president they said has not been talking”.

January 5, 2010: Vice President Goodluck Jonathan reportedly had a telephone conversation with President Yar’Adua.

January 6, 2010: Dora Akunyili, minister of information, said “what I know is what the vice president told us … he spoke with Mr. President at about 8.00p.m yesterday (January 5 2010). • January 6, 2010: Ojo Maduekwe, minister of foreign affairs in an interview granted to BBC admitted he had not spoken with President Yar’Adua since his hospitalisation in Saudi Arabia. He further said: “Those who are around him give us a very optimistic assessment”.

January 11, 2010: Segun Adeniyi, presidential spokesperson said “the speculations are false. The president is alive and actually getting better. He can and has been talking…”

[/size]

http://www.businessdayonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7483:yaraduas-health-a-diary-of-deceit&catid=85:national&Itemid=340
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by Nobody: 12:04am On Mar 25, 2010
Kobo you and this your record sef na wah ooo. I have agreed with you that Dora mess up. But why cant you agree that among our present day political class shes outstanding. The perfect person you are looking for is simply not available. Why cant we manage the best available?
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by marvix(m): 12:09am On Mar 25, 2010
Quote from kobojunkie
VICE President Goodluck Jonathan said he spoke with the ailing President Yar'Adua "briefly on Tuesday evening, precisely at 8:00 pm." He told the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting, which held yesterday.

The Minister of Information and Communication, Professor Dora Akunyili made the disclosure while briefing State House Correspondents.

Asked to tell Nigerians the present condition of the president's health, she said that she had said all she knew.

Could it have occured to u dat Jonathan told them that in the FEC dat day, or y wasn't she reprimanded by d VP at dat time. She said the VP told them so u think d VP does not know what his Information Minister would brief the people, are u sure u are educated or can a spokesman of d govt say what she wasn't asked to say? So the question is supposed to go to Jonathan, did u tell Dora that you spoke to Yaradua?
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by cap28: 1:40am On Mar 25, 2010
Kobojunkie:

[size=14pt]Nigeria names Jonathan acting president[/size]
By Tom Burgis in Lagos

Published: February 9 2010 14:39 | Last updated: February 9 2010 14:39

Nigeria’s national assembly on Tuesday voted to declare Goodluck Jonathan, the vice-president, the country’s acting ruler, in a move that appeared to sideline Umaru Yar’Adua, the ailing leader.

But the latest twist in a power struggle brought on by the president’s 11-week stay in Saudi Arabia for medical treatment does not end the uncertainty that has engulfed sub-Saharan Africa’s biggest energy producer.

The motion drafted by the senate and passed by both houses states that Mr Jonathan “shall henceforth discharge the functions of the office of the president, commander-in-chief of the armed forces of the federation”.

However, the motion seems to depart from the constitution’s provision for dealing with a presidential absence. This requires Mr Yar’Adua, who suffers from a heart condition and a chronic kidney problem, to write to the national assembly if he intends temporarily to transfer powers to his deputy on health grounds.

Mr Yar’Adua has declined to do so – a reluctance that many blame on an inner circle determined not to relinquish power even temporarily.

Consequently, the national assembly’s motion may have no legal force. “They are not backed by the constitution,” said Rotimi Akeredolu, president of the Nigerian Bar Association, which has petitioned the courts to force a handover of interim powers. “At this point in our democracy we should try as much as possible to stick to procedure.”

Under the constitution, only the cabinet has the power to declare Mr Yar’Adua incapacitated. It has so far refused even to send a medical team to assess the president’s health. Under these circumstances, it is unclear how forcefully Mr Jonathan will be willing govern.

David Mark, the senate president, said that a brief radio interview Mr Yar’Adua gave to the BBC last month – the only time he has been heard since his departure from Nigeria on November 23 – served as “irrefutable proof that he is on medical vacation”.

Other political insiders suggested the national assembly’s move was a political compromise.

The disparate strands of the Nigerian elite – from former heads of state to the influential governors of the federation’s 36 states – have in recent days coalesced in their demands for Mr Jonathan to assume full powers.

“It will definitely resolve the present constitutional crisis or vacuum in leadership,” Bukola Saraki, governor of Kwara state and chair of the governor’s forum, told the Financial Times. “As to legal questions, it is the doctrine of necessity. It’s something that we had to do to get out of this logjam.”

The senators stressed that Mr Yar’Adua could resume his office if he wrote to the national assembly informing lawmakers that he was fit enough to do so.

Although he has been cautious not to be seen to be staging a power-grab, Mr Jonathan has already been acting as de facto president, chairing cabinet meetings and ordering troops to quell a recent outbreak of ethnic violence in the central city of Jos.

It is unclear whether Mr Jonathan will now be officially sworn in as president, although some political insiders suggested he would not.
Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2010. You may share using our article tools. Please don't cut articles from FT.com and redistribute by email or post to the web.

can someone clarify this point for me - since the transfer of power was not done in accordance with s 145 of the consititution nor by Yaradua's cabinet but by the national assembly does it mean that Jonathan has assumed power illegally?

if Jonathan and his cronies are saying that they had to do this out of necessity why is it that the nigerian populace still does not know whether Yaradua is dead or alive?

I think we the nigerian people are still not being told the truth, this whole thing is beginning to look more and more like a coup d'etat - could it be that Yaradua has been deposed possibly because he was not serving certain powerful interests and now we have a transfer of power to a more pliable candidate?

to me what is happening now is a power struggle between two equally corrupt juntas desperately trying to grab power with neither having the interest of the nigerian people at heart - will we ever know the truth?
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by akwaowoudo(m): 4:35am On Mar 25, 2010
It's a feat! Congratulations Prof! No screening for her; she would only bow out as sign of gratitude. She is worthy.
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by malipous: 5:48am On Mar 25, 2010
Even if Dora is recircled perpetually, I don't have any problem with that. She has done numerous good work many times and can do it again, again and again. If she is given INEC chair, ha ha ha. Wahala go burst for all these big politicians that always come into power through rigging. Dora must stand by there ways. I love that woman. May God continue to protect her from the hands of her incalculable enemies arround her. They will all fail completely. God bless Dora, God bless Nigeria. By Dora we stand through Jesus Christ our saviour. She is covered with the Blood of Jesus Christ alone, AMEN.
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by sayso: 6:57am On Mar 25, 2010
why are your people praising her,this is a woman that wants Nigerians not to go abroad for studies,that Nigeria has good and competent Universities but her own children are abroad studying.She is no better abegi.
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by kabarka(m): 7:58am On Mar 25, 2010
Thank God she is back.
Best suited 4 inec chairman .We need result.And remember whenever the FG needs result,they take one very action :GOTO IGBOLAND AND PICK SOMEBODY.So jonathan should emulate former Presido's this time.
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by otukpo(f): 8:40am On Mar 25, 2010
No one is perfect.
Dora is still better than majority of those politicians.
So she deserves to be in the list.
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by chosen04(f): 8:45am On Mar 25, 2010
chosen04:

@Kobojunkie

Your next drink is on me. Thank God for people like you, Who can easily decode "Cheap hero wannabes, Crazy media attention seekers and back stabing Liars".

Am still surprised at the rate of Cheap heroic worshipping in this country!

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-407935.0.html
Pls check this thread:

DORA is nothing but a "Cheap Opportunist, Crazy media attention seeker, Cheap Hero wannable".

Thank God for this quote:- "You can never fool all the people all the times"

If she succeeded in fooling us during her screensmoke works at NAFDAC, she definetly cant fool all of us now cos we are Wiser.

Seriously, rate of blind support and chesp heroic worship in this country is appalling, no matter the motivations[/color][color=#990000]
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by realkola: 9:19am On Mar 25, 2010
I KNOW A MICROFINANCE THAT PAYS N140,000 EVERY MONTH ON N2,000,000 NAIRA AS FIX DEPOIT, FOR ME TO RELEASE THE INFORMATION I WILL COLLECT 50,000 NAIRA FROM YOU IF YOU ARE INTERESTED.CALL KOLA 08037717482.THIS IS A MONEY BACK GUARRANTEE.WITH THE MONTHLY ACRUE YOU CAN INVEST IN LAND AT 180,000 IN PLACES LIKE MOWE IBAFO. SIDE OF OGUN STATE.
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by chosen04(f): 9:36am On Mar 25, 2010
realkola:

I KNOW A MICROFINANCE THAT PAYS N140,000 EVERY MONTH ON N2,000,000 NAIRA AS FIX DEPOIT, FOR ME TO RELEASE THE INFORMATION I WILL COLLECT 50,000 NAIRA FROM YOU IF YOU ARE INTERESTED.CALL KOLA 08037717482.THIS IS A MONEY BACK GUARRANTEE.WITH THE MONTHLY ACRUE YOU CAN INVEST IN LAND AT 180,000 IN PLACES LIKE MOWE IBAFO. SIDE OF OGUN STATE.

Mumu, Why not sale your family's properties and invest.
Can the moderators ban this Anuofia?
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by igeluma: 10:30am On Mar 25, 2010
Dora you are great, nobody can cover the light of God that is in you
All the enemies of Nigeria, God shall disgrace them,truth shall live for ever.
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by cassidy(f): 11:24am On Mar 25, 2010
@ Kobojunkie you are right on target, the woman can not fool all of us. Time will tell and show her character. I will be here to say i told you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by eros(m): 11:40am On Mar 25, 2010
Jonathan knew she had to be on the list unless,
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by kenzspunpy(m): 2:07pm On Mar 25, 2010
she will be cleared,but i prefer her to be inec chairman

fine, Madam Dora appears to be the kind of person to head INEC, but her ability to do the job without fear or favour is doubtful because she is a card -carrying member of d PDP!
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by chosen04(f): 2:33pm On Mar 25, 2010
kenzspunpy:

fine, Madam Dora appears to be the kind of person to head INEC, but her ability to do the job without fear or favour is doubtful because she is a card -carrying member of d PDP!

Can you hear yourself? She can do the INEC joy without fear and favour, but ability to be neutral is doubtful?
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by AmesJay: 11:07am On Mar 27, 2010
kenzspunpy:

my bro,i feel you 100%.
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by Kobojunkie: 4:11am On Mar 28, 2010
It bothers me how people complain about journalism in Nigeria and how our reporters continue to report meaningless junk but no one ever moves to finger the minitry of communication in all. Isn't the ministry responsible for disseminating information about the government? If the people are left to feed on rumours and junk, doesn't that in some way imply the ministry is doing a good job ensuring the right information gets to the people?
Re: President Adds Five More Ministers Including Dora Akunyili by TewMuch: 5:43am On Mar 28, 2010
Dora should either be give Education, INEC or Immigration. We need a whole immigration reform so that we can deport the chad, and niger people back to their country. These people are becoming too much, i heard there are now Shuwa Arabs in the North? . When did Nigeria have a shuwa Arab population? . So many reforms are needed. And the citizenship requirements need to change. Maybe they should require that you have a grand parent that is Nigerian, and trace your family home.lol, cause these people appearing in Nigeria and claiming Nigerian is alarming. We need security!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria's Former Speaker Join People's Trust, Endorses Hashim For President / Senate Probes 7 Oil Firms Over $21bn Unremitted Funds / Lawan To Senators: Talk Less To The Media, Don’t Give Wrong Impression About Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.