Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,801 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors (15990 Views)

Dubai Company Excludes Nigerian Applicants From Vacancies / "Wolf Of Wall Street" - 5 Mindsets Every Graduate MUST Have In 2018 / These 6 Tips Will Help You Get An Ideal Job In 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by nairametrics: 1:18pm On Nov 21, 2017
As the year wraps up, you should take inventory of your achievements for the year. This will help in your plans and preparations for the next year. On top of the list of things to review for the year is your resume. It’s time for an update.

As we prepare to write a resume that wins for the year 2018, here are 13 things your resume should not contain in 2018.

Lengthy paragraphs
Paragraphs that are too long are rather exhausting to read. Recruiters are looking for brief attention grabbing paragraphs. Keep your paragraphs restricted to short sentences that speak volumes.

Many bullets
Bullets are highlighters meant to draw attention to very important detail. When your resume is filled with bullets it makes it seem like you’re drawing attention to the entire page which defeats the whole purpose. When everything is highlighted it connotes that nothing is really important.

Inconsistent fonts

Stick to one font all through your resume and try to use fonts that are trendy not outdated fonts; inconsistent fonts depict lack of attention to detail and makes your resume look rough.

Fancy fonts
Keep in mind that you’re going to be hired on the basis of skills and qualifications not on how well you designed your resume. Rather than draw the right kind of attention to your resume, fancy fonts show lack of seriousness.

Unprofessional email address
You should strike out any email address that does not sound official. It’s always best to set up an email using your name and surname rather than nicknames. If your email is something like sugarplum@yahoo.com or urhotbabe22@gmail.com, you should definitely strike it out. Setting up a new email is easy and fast.

More than one phone number
It might have been trendy at some point but it simply fills your resume with junk. There really is no reason to have more than one phone number on your resumes since most recruiters are probably only going to try one number. Put one number that is sure to be available at all times.

Too personal details
There are details that are classified as too personal and should not be an influencing factor in getting a job. There’s really no need for your resume to contain your marital status, your health details or your religious preference.

Hobbies
Please if your hobbies do not show relevance to the job you’re applying for or your chosen career path, strike it out. Imagine applying for a banking job and mentioning cooking as a hobby; it just doesn’t make sense. Also if your hobbies are generic like reading and writing, you should probably also leave them out.

Salary
There really is no place for salary details in your resume, be it previous salary or salary expectations. This should wait until you nail the job.

Why you need the job
This information is irrelevant at this point. Rather than state the reasons why you need the job, make your skills attractive enough for the position.

Why you quit your previous job
At no point in the process of job hunting and recruitment should you mention this detail unless personally asked. Even then, your response should be carefully coordinated.

Irrelevant work experience
There really is no need to load your resume with junk. All information on your resume is meant to sell you as the best candidate for the job. Work experience that does not showcase additional skills for the position you’re trying to snag is not relevant.

Spelling errors and grammar mistakes
These are the most common mistakes on many resumes. It’s time to go through your resume over and over again. Find and correct spelling errors and grammar mistakes. Reading your resume out helps a lot in dictating such error.

After striking these out from your resume, let’s write it again. With this version of your resume, you should have better luck getting a job in 2018.

Source: https://nairametrics.com/in-2018-make-sure-your-resume-excludes-these-errors/

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by ImYourJude(m): 11:31am On Jan 02, 2018
Wow, Ftc for the first time ever... This year is already beginning to look good.
I hereby dedicate this to all job searchers,
this year, (with these tips listed above) employers will search for you.
Do I hear an amen?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by purem(m): 11:32am On Jan 02, 2018
This thread was created at 1:18pm On Nov 21, 2017 and it made FP at 11:29am on Jan 02, 2018.

Bottom line, DON'T GIVE UP ON THAT DREAM U'VE BEEN PURSUING, YOU NEVER KNOW THE HUSTLE OF YEARS MIGHT PAY WITH JUST ONE MORE TRYER

only hustlers will understand my point wink

21 Likes

Re: In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by kingandamy4life(m): 11:32am On Jan 02, 2018
Nice one
Re: In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by patrickmuf(m): 11:33am On Jan 02, 2018
Spot on...
Re: In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by Benjom(m): 11:33am On Jan 02, 2018
Good... I wouldn't change anything in this.

For specific CV & LinkedIn samples you can use as guide to writing a perfect one for 2018, check my signature.

They are simply recruiters' choice.

2 Likes

Re: In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by Nobody: 11:33am On Jan 02, 2018
Good one OP
Re: In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by Factfinder1(m): 11:33am On Jan 02, 2018
Accurate measures I respect the op
Re: In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by bsalawu: 11:33am On Jan 02, 2018
Nice
Re: In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by dannytech2uni: 11:34am On Jan 02, 2018
Good bro...
Re: In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by solochris(m): 11:34am On Jan 02, 2018
Who cares about how you organise the cv, all they are after is your work experience, contact details and sometimes your location

4 Likes

Re: In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by chimhigher(m): 11:34am On Jan 02, 2018
Nawa ooo..now now january 2nd...
Re: In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by ccollins(m): 11:35am On Jan 02, 2018
Jesus will give me a successful big job to the envy of my enemies with or without all these cv protocols cool

6 Likes

Re: In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by futurerex: 11:36am On Jan 02, 2018
Money must be made
Re: In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by Iamnobody: 11:37am On Jan 02, 2018
ccollins:
Jesus will give me a successful big job to the envy of my enemies with or without all these cv protocols cool

Yes even if you don’t apply for them too grin

1 Like

Re: In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by Nobody: 11:37am On Jan 02, 2018
No one cares about ur email abeg
Re: In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by Nehyooh(m): 11:40am On Jan 02, 2018
Nice !
Re: In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by surestgab: 11:42am On Jan 02, 2018
Good points, mentioned
Re: In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by YINKS89(m): 11:43am On Jan 02, 2018
If u don't hav a professional cv dis applies to u... I hav one thou.
Re: In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by Cashrange660: 11:43am On Jan 02, 2018
nairametrics:

Source: https://nairametrics.com/in-2018-make-sure-your-resume-excludes-these-errors/

All your points are valid and i totally agree with you. Pls how do i get in touch with you?
Re: In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by Mintek: 11:45am On Jan 02, 2018
Hmmm...very salient points but I feel the "God-factor" takes pre-eminence in landing a good job in these times.

As solid and professionally-drafted I'd always thought my CV was, I only just recently landed that plum job of my dream.

Put God first in your job hunt and you'll give a testimony soon.

Happy 2018 everyone.

cool

3 Likes

Re: In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by Nobody: 11:55am On Jan 02, 2018
smiley
Re: In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by bloggerlove: 12:26pm On Jan 02, 2018
yep! that is through, check out 9ja hope of 2018!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pR92ro0SOw
Re: In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jan 02, 2018
So op what makes a hobby other than what u do at ur leisure? It's a hobby na

(1) (Reply)

Job Seekers: What Jobs Can You Do? / 104,403 Northerners, 23,088 Southerners Apply For 2021 Police Recruitment / Management Trainee In A Leading Firm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.