Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,048 members, 7,956,894 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 09:50 PM

Robert Mugabe Has Finally Resigned As President Of Zimbabwe!! Full STORY ! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Robert Mugabe Has Finally Resigned As President Of Zimbabwe!! Full STORY ! (309 Views)

New Photos Of Robert Mugabe, Former President Of Zimbabwe / Is Mugabe Sleeping At Graduation Ceremony Of Zimbabwe Open University? (Pics) / Zimbabwe Military Takeover Live Updates: Robert Mugabe Under House Arrest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Robert Mugabe Has Finally Resigned As President Of Zimbabwe!! Full STORY ! by theLegion(m): 6:07pm On Nov 21, 2017
Robert Mugabe has finally resigned as president of Zimbabwe after nearly four decades as the country's leader.

Wild celebrations broke out in Zimbabwe's parliament after speaker Jacob Mudenda read out Mugabe's resignation letter.

In his letter of resignation, he said: “I Robert Gabriel Mugabe hereby formally tender my resignation as President of Zimbabwe with immediate effect.

“My decision to resign is voluntary on my part.

He added he had resigned to “allow smooth transfer of power”

The celebrations have continued outside Parliament, with
Zimbabweans taking to the streets with joy.

Robert Mugabe's resignation follows pressure from both within his regime and from international powers.

Last week Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson tweeted: “UK and South Africa agree Zimbabweans must be able to decide their own future in free and fair elections in line with constitution.

“Authoritarian rule should have no place in Africa”

A new leader is expected to be in place by tomorrow while the parliament work to legally expedite the process.

Mugabe did not recommend a successor as part of his resignation.

Zanu PF chief whip Lovemore Matuke told Reuters: "I am very happy that the president had chosen to go voluntarily."

"This would have ended in serious embarrassment" if the party was forced to impeach Mugabe, he said.

Zimbabweans have been filmed celebrating in Harare with many cheering, dancing and honking car horns.

Source - https://www.veeinsider.com/news/robert-mugabe-resigns-as-zimbabwes-president-after-37-years-in-power/

Re: Robert Mugabe Has Finally Resigned As President Of Zimbabwe!! Full STORY ! by theLegion(m): 6:38pm On Nov 21, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Attack In Eastern Congo Kills 14 Peacekeepers, Injures Over 40 - UN / 5.7 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Taipei / US Govt Offices Remain Locked In Shutdown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.