Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:41 PM

Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks (9192 Views)

Policemen Ask A Driver Sit On The Floor For Disobeying Them (pics) / Ask A Ghanaian Anything / Questions From A Somali (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by Isiolo(m): 8:50am On Mar 26, 2010
I thought I'd make this topic.  grin

I made it because on one topic a girl said "Somalis look a certain way because the Arabs mixed with them."

I'm thinking what the F---!!  So let me answer that real quick:

Somalis are they, themselves, period.  We are as old as time, after all the first humans came from Ethiopia where Somalis originated.  We are a unique genetic family just like the many ethnic groups of Nigeria.  We are not MIXED and we find it offensive to say we are mixed since we take great pride in our Somali heritage.  We are genetic freaks and very flexible in our DNA, let me tell you an example - My mom looks like a Moroccan, and of her siblings some look Ethiopian, some look Somali, some look Yemeni, and one looks Mulatto.  Funny thing is that they're 100% Somali, all of them, their father and their mother although the father (my grandfather) looked like an African-Arab hybrid but both sides of his family are notable and pure Somali clans.  You can find the whitest-looking Somali and I bet he's from the clan that rules Mogadishu lol.

Seriously, we are genetic freaks.  We are not "mixed" in any significant way, we simply have flexible and extreme genetic quality, period.  Why is it hard to accept that not all of Africa has the same general appearance.  We live in a huge continent and while we all share the same goal from our Egyptian brothers to South Africa, we aren't all the same looking.  Its a fact.  Lets embrace our differences while also embracing the things we have in common.

The FEW Arabs and Persians who ever traded in Somalia historically were part of designated communities that were singled out and isolated by mainstream Somalis just to demonstrate that Somalis don't take outsiders lightly.

Ask my Naija brothas & sistas what you will.
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by thando(f): 10:14am On Mar 26, 2010
Negroe plzzz, u'll mixed lol
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by igboboy1(m): 10:20am On Mar 26, 2010
my friend shut up there, u guys, north sudan, ethipoia, djibouti et al are all arab mixed people, dont deny your heritage ,

semitic/cushitic you are
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by Nobody: 10:28am On Mar 26, 2010
I DO NOT concur with you Igbo boy, I personally know some Somalians here in the UK and do not think they are all mixed.

It is an insult to presume that Africans cannot look good except they are mixed with AraB blood.
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by Badriyyah(f): 10:35am On Mar 26, 2010
Ok, where's the evidence that you're not mixed?
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by igboboy1(m): 10:37am On Mar 26, 2010
frosbel likewise i know lot of somalis in the States. Just because some are dark doesn't mean they aren't mixed. Go look at the history of the people in that area, Their association with arabs is not a 100 year affair we are talking of at least 1,000years,

Y0u can tell a real negroid by their hair and other facial attributes (not skin color). Somalis and ethiopians might pass the skin color test but sure dont pass the facial structure and hair test.

People we call arabs are not originally arabs, just because of the advent of islam and the usage of arabic that came with it, ,most middle east peeps start saying they are arabs, Imagine N sudan wey look like ethiopia dey claim arab?
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by igboboy1(m): 10:38am On Mar 26, 2010
and frosbel who said anything about looking good?, no insult to somalis but i prefer my W.african peeps, I think they are the most beautiful people in the world
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by Badriyyah(f): 10:40am On Mar 26, 2010
frosbel:

I DO NOT concur with you Igbo boy, I personally know some Somalians here in the UK and do not think they are all mixed.

It is an insult to presume that Africans cannot look good except they are mixed with AraB blood.

No one mentioned good looks, undecided
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by oderemo(m): 10:41am On Mar 26, 2010
what are you guys doing to stop those pirates, they get on my goat.
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by Nobody: 11:07am On Mar 26, 2010
Badriyyah:

No one mentioned good looks, undecided

Okay, error accepted.

Thanks.
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by igboboy1(m): 11:54am On Mar 26, 2010
ode remo:

what are you guys doing to stop those pirates, they get on my goat.

grin
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by Isiolo(m): 5:13am On Apr 09, 2010
I was busy the past week, so here is my late reply:

You guys should bring proof that we are mixed.  Honestly, bring proof.

Arabs and some Semitic and Mediterranean people originated from Somalis, its a fact.  They have OUR d.n.a. in their blood, not vice versa.  The only Arabs who came to Somalia settled the southern portions which were not even discovered yet by Somali nomads.  Its such fuking bull crap to say we are mixed, we have such a strong culture and traditions, we are not Arab.  We could pass for a true Arab easier than a Lebanese or Sudanese but we refuse it because our cultural traditions are too strong.  We are unique to our region (northeast Africa), there are Egyptian mummies and ancient Nubian figures that resemble the Somali look as far back as 2500 BC.

And plus, how can you account for the Somalis who live in the interior of Kenya and Ethiopia who probably never saw a foreigner cross their territory?  My clan stretches from the Red Sea to Central Ethiopia all the way to Kenya's eastern districts and we've settled there for longer than Islam has been around yet we all look the same, how do you get around that fact?
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by Jakumo(m): 7:16am On Apr 09, 2010
Rather than dwelling on the genealogical origins of your ancestors, why not list some of your personal and professional accomplishments, for those are the things that REALLY matter in the realm of human endeavor.

Pedigree and blood lines are of paramount importance in a discussion for race-horses or dogs, but people who feel compelled to assign great importance to such asinine considerations as a measure of their own importance have made an unconscious decision to classify themselves by the most trivial and inconsequential criteria available.
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by Isiolo(m): 7:44am On Apr 09, 2010
Jakumo, great post bro!  cool

I was only trying to address those who tried to downplay my peoples' background and history, that's all.  You're totally right in your whole post.

But I will allow the topic to continue on a cultural and historic basis, not a "racial" one as the filthy colonialists would put.
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by birdman(m): 7:46am On Apr 09, 2010
Ignore Jakumo, he is the resident dog with a bark and no bite. There is nothing wrong with embracing your heritage, and more power to you if it pushes you to be a better human. Btw, anyone here ever dated an educated somali chick?  chinekeee, beautiful on the inside and outside
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by Jakumo(m): 7:50am On Apr 09, 2010
birdman:

Ignore Jakumo, he is the resident dog with a bark and no bite.

Woof woof woof. I am part doberman, part mutt and part junkyard dawg.
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by Isiolo(m): 7:50am On Apr 09, 2010
Thanks birdman, and I think jakumo has some good points.  My only point here is to say that we are ourselves, man its just ridiculous how ONLY our African brothers try to paint us as outsiders, like what the fuk man.

I am trying to say that beyond appearance and shiiit, we have our own way of life (nomadism) that no other culture but the related ones have (Oromo, Afar, Sidama, Beja).  If you bring Somalis into question, then take on Oromos who are half of Ethiopia's population, as well as the Afar, Sidama, and the Beja of Sudan, Egypt and Eritrea - put their lineage into question, by then you'll have 60 million Africans barking at you for calling them bastards!
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by meexteriox(m): 7:52am On Apr 09, 2010
Jakumo:

Rather than dwelling on the genealogical origins of your ancestors, why not list some of your personal and professional accomplishments, for those are the things that REALLY matter in the realm of human endeavor.

Pedigree and blood lines are of paramount importance in a discussion for race-horses or dogs, but people who feel compelled to assign great importance to such asinine considerations as a measure of their own importance have made an unconscious decision to classify themselves by the most trivial and inconsequential criteria available.

My brother u just hit the nail right on the head.
In the words of William Gladstone, i quote for u my friend ''He is a wise man who wastes no energy on pursuits for which he is not fitted; and he is wiser who, from among the things he can do well, chooses and resolutely follows the best'' -end of quote.

He who has ear, let him hear.
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by igboboy1(m): 9:06am On Apr 09, 2010
Isiolo calm down, you guys and yemeni peeps aint got no difference,

you talk about culture? mehn u guys aint got no culture, you dress like the arabs, religious fanatics like the arabs, your hair definitely aint like mine (cos your DNA aint 100% black son grin )
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by illusion2: 9:11am On Apr 09, 2010
3 questions.

1. Whats your language called ?

2. Are Puntland,Somaliland different countries ,if yes what differentiates them from Somalia?

3. Do your women generally keep pubic hair ?  cheesy
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by bkbabe97: 9:11am On Apr 09, 2010
WHY DO MOST SOMALIANS HAVE BIG, SCARY, BEAVER/RABBIT TEETH?!?!
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by mizztee(f): 9:54am On Apr 09, 2010
Why do you guys think somalis or ethiopans are mixed? They are east africans and look different from west, north or south africans. I mean some 9jas can tell a hausa from yoruba or ibo just by looking at them.
Why do people keep saying east africans look like arabs? They look nothing like the arabs/middle easterners i know.They look unique, you know that look that automatically says ethio, somali, eritrea, kenya etc.
I do not think they are mixed at all do not forget Africa is a continent and we all can't look the same
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by Ikengawo: 10:13am On Apr 09, 2010
You know, there's a high chance that they're not 'arab mixed'
according to darwins theory and the out of africa theory we all know as a fact that africans came first.
so why do you think somalis were essentially 'created' by arab genes?
logically arabs were 'created' from somali genes.

we're confusing who came first and science shows its somalis. Why would it be hard to believe that a group of somali looking africans came a few miles away from ethiopia and spread into the arab world, eventually getting lighter skinned in the process?

i dont think they look the way they do cause they're arab mix, i think arabs look like somalis because they are an offshoot of the original somali/semetic people of somalia and ethiopia.
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by Nobody: 12:46pm On Apr 09, 2010
bk/babe97:

WHY DO MOST SOMALIANS HAVE BIG, SCARY, BEAVER/RABBIT TEETH?!?!

Dem fine pass you sha undecided
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by doyin13(m): 12:52pm On Apr 09, 2010
And why is their language so confrontational. . .

When they converse, it seems they are fighting grin grin grin
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by bkbabe97: 7:55pm On Apr 09, 2010
frosbel:

Dem fine pass you sha undecided

English please?
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by Isiolo(m): 8:25am On Apr 10, 2010
True to my word I'll answer every question.

Igboboy, Somalis and Yemenis the same?  LOL what?  We have dark skin, they don't, we have NOTHING in common, but Ethiopians (Habesha) have some things to share with them.  grin

Illusion2, our language is called Somali lol.  Puntland is a northeastern region developed by war-weary Somalis (my clan actually, also pirate clan) and its part of Somalia, so is Somaliland which aspires to re-draw colonial lines and claim British-controlled Somaliland, hence their name.  I'm a 20 yr old virgin sadly, I don't know what they keep down there.

Babe97, our buck tooth thing is just a biological thing, must be because we used to wrestle lions or some shiii.

Mizztee, thanks for your understanding.  But however Ethiopians have a long history with Arabs.  They invaded Arabia and as well the Muslims sought refuge in Ethiopian lands early on, and one of the most important figures in Islam, Bilal, is an Ethiopian but not a Habesha which are the Ethiopian standard variety.

Ikengawo, you are right!  Arabs came from US not the other way around.  You'll find indigenous native activities practiced in Afar (cousins of Somalis) territories deep in Yemen, they are our children, not the other way around.  They even adopted OUR culture of camel-based society, and we have 90% of the world's camels in Somali territory in east Africa.

Doyin13, I think its because the Somali language naturally sounds native to those who speak it and oddly aggressive to outsiders, a lot of languages like most Asian languages also sound aggressive, so does Arabic and German.
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by igboboy1(m): 9:44am On Apr 10, 2010
mizztee:

Why do you guys think somalis or ethiopans are mixed? They are east africans and look different from west, north or south africans. I mean some 9jas can tell a hausa from yoruba or ibo just by looking at them.
Why do people keep saying east africans look like arabs? They look nothing like the arabs/middle easterners i know.They look unique, you know that look that automatically says ethio, somali, eritrea, kenya etc.
I do not think they are mixed at all do not forget Africa is a continent and we all can't look the same

who told u east africans look different, kenya no be east africa, uganda and tanzania nkor? It is just dem habesha, somali, djibout and north sudanese folks,

You are right africa is a continent and we have different features- some groups are tall, some are short, some are light skin, some are dark skin, some have broad nose, some have not so broad nose, some have thick lips some have not so thick lips, But all in all nobody is gonna aruge about the blackness of southern sudanese people (dem black anhow) or massai (dem tall), yoruba (generally broad nose and lips), igbo (generally not too dark) etc

but for somali it is not about the skin color those guys are straight hybrid with them ethiopians
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by Akatamba(m): 10:13am On Apr 10, 2010
An utter bloody joker.

The majority of you all clearly resemblance our own Yar'Adua, Isn't that right? And why all know why that is, do we not??

I'll go ahead and give you a hint ===>> Arab blood.
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by Isiolo(m): 11:43am On Apr 10, 2010
I truthfully can't help some of this ignorance here, if you wanna call all 15 million Somalis in the Horn hybrids go on, and go ahead, call the 30 million Oromo hybrids as well and the 30 million Habesha hybrids as well, the entire Horn are all hybrids, go on tell us that lol.

And also tell those Berbers who are natives of Africa who share 90% DNA with Somalis that they're also hybrids because they don't resemble your image of "African looks", tell the Egyptians they're also hybrids, and tell the Khoisan of South Africa they're hybrids. Might as well tell the greater 50% of Africa they're all hybrids and foreigners to your strange image of your continent. BUT what if we said YOU are foreigners to OUR Africa? How would that strike you, INVADER? lol. Africa is the land of its owners whomever they may be from the Khoisan to the Tuareg and nothing but your ignorance changes that.
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by Sunofgod(m): 12:34pm On Apr 10, 2010
Does the University of Somalia offer a course in - How To Be An Effective Pirate?

If so what are the entry requirements and fee's

Thanks,
Re: Ask A Somali Anything, Naija Folks by illusion2: 1:24pm On Apr 10, 2010
Isiolo:

Illusion2, our language is called Somali lol.  Puntland is a northeastern region developed by war-weary Somalis (my clan actually, also pirate clan) and its part of Somalia, so is Somaliland which aspires to re-draw colonial lines and claim British-controlled Somaliland, hence their name.  I'm a 20 yr old virgin sadly, I don't know what they keep down there.

Thanks for your response. Are these countries (Puntland,Somaliland) actually independent (as in effective central authority) ? Do they speak diff dialects-I want to know what differentiates them from other somalis ? Do you all speak arabic? & are there any christian somalis in the area?

20 year old virgin ??  shocked shocked shocked shocked You should be shot ! just joking. . .its best you keep yourslf for your wedding night as directed by the holy prophet himself (pbuh)  cheesy

Isiolo:

They even adopted OUR culture of camel-based society, and we have 90% of the world's camels in Somali territory in east Africa.
90% of the world's camel in Somalia  undecided. How ? Aren't u guys really hungry & impoverished? How could you possibly maintain animals ? Please lets have pictures

Isiolo:

Doyin13, I think its because the Somali language naturally sounds native to those who speak it and oddly aggressive to outsiders, a lot of languages like most Asian languages also sound aggressive, so does Arabic and German.
True dat,many people perceive our nigerian langs as being aggressive as well. . . . .  grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians Lament During The 2017 Xmas Holiday Due To Fuel Scarcity & More / President Buhari Inaugurates Committee For Impact And Reading / Nigeria: 2009 Budget Vs 2008 Budget

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.