Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,163 members, 7,860,169 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:12 AM

Half Of All Marriages In Kano End In Divorce - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Half Of All Marriages In Kano End In Divorce (727 Views)

Lagos Pastor In Divorce Mess: He Steals Church Funds Says Wife / She Doesn't Love Him, But He Doesn't Believe In Divorce. / Couple In Divorce Case Made Love Before Appearing In Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Half Of All Marriages In Kano End In Divorce by PapaBrowne(m): 10:50pm On Mar 26, 2010
Divorce occurs in every 2 marriages in Kano’
News
WRITTEN BY JAAFAR JAAFAR, KANO
FRIDAY, 26 MARCH 2010 00:38
A research conducted in 2008 by the Kano State Societal Reorientation Directorate shows that in every two marriages in Kano, one divorce is recorded. Speaking yesterday in Kano at an occasion to mark the International Women’s Day, organised by the Partnership for the Promotion of Maternal and Child Health, a lecturer at the Department of Sociology in the Bayero University Kano, Dr Isma’ila Zango, said the revelation was alarming.
The sociologist said a survey conducted in 2001 across three states of the North-West region had a similar result. Dr. Zango said the data collected from 500 women from Kano, Sokoto and Katsina States revealed that 35.5 percent of the women were divorced.

She warned that divorce affects the psychological and social balance of the family. “Women and children are always at the receiving end. There is a need to get to the root of the matter and make a strict legislation on divorces. Earlier, the district head of Albasu, Alhaji Wada Aliyu Gaya called for woman empowerment.

“Women should be accorded respect and given an opportunity to live a decent life,” he said.

He maintained that the Emirate Council was ready to support them.

http://www.news.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16304:divorce-occurs-in-every-2-marriages-in-kano&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=119
Re: Half Of All Marriages In Kano End In Divorce by mamagee3(f): 11:11pm On Mar 26, 2010
Muslims divorce? shocked shocked
Re: Half Of All Marriages In Kano End In Divorce by PapaBrowne(m): 1:02am On Mar 27, 2010
mama-gee:

Muslims divorce? shocked shocked

I was surprised myself when I saw it.
Re: Half Of All Marriages In Kano End In Divorce by dominique(f): 7:16am On Mar 27, 2010
@poster
don't believe the stats, over 70% of marriages end in divorce in that area (both educated ones and the illiterates). and they always remarry within an instant only to divorce allover again. a man can even divorce his wife for taking a bike embarassed.
my sister's former neighbour is on her third marriage and for all we know, she may end up divorcing again. i've heard funny reasons like "he snores", "she goes out a lot", "s/he's not fine anymore" and the weirdest of all. . . "he's going bald" shocked.

@mama-gee
yeah Muslims divorce wink
Re: Half Of All Marriages In Kano End In Divorce by coolier(f): 11:53am On Mar 27, 2010
You think only in Kano? Half of marriages everywhere end in divorce! sad

(1) (Reply)

Household Management: Tips And Tricks / Reduce Your Debt / Should I Tell My Sister :

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.